Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is assprap?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crack smoking thugs. Mistakenly adopted by some who thought it just meant badass. Not really a term of endearment unless you are looking to turn them loose on someone who asspraped you.
What is assprap?
Now you wonder if there was an extra P, or an extra S
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Back in the late 70s and 80s the term "pipe hitter"  and pipe hitters union was used as a slang for guys who were getting laid.  
View Quote
Where?  “Laying pipe” yes. “Pipe hitter” no.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the late 70s and 80s the term "pipe hitter"  and pipe hitters union was used as a slang for guys who were getting laid.  
He didn't say who they were getting laid with.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
100% this.
Somebody too young to remember the crack epidemic heard the term in Pulp Fiction and thought it meant “badass,” completely missing the context.
Makes me laugh anytime I read it.

I asked this a few years ago, and one awesome arfcommer actually dug up a newspaper article from San Francisco in the early 1900s that references pipehitters as opium addicts.
It’s an OLD drug term
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It certainly meant crack using individuals but was misinterpreted to mean individuals who would use pieces of plumbing or fencing as cudgels and "pipehitter" became a term for what some might call a "bad hombre".

This isn't much different from how this place has mangled some meanings,such as neckbeard.
100% this.
Somebody too young to remember the crack epidemic heard the term in Pulp Fiction and thought it meant “badass,” completely missing the context.

I asked this a few years ago, and one awesome arfcommer actually dug up a newspaper article from San Francisco in the early 1900s that references pipehitters as opium addicts.
It’s an OLD drug term
This post nails it.

Pulp Fiction came out in '94. The SF association didn't surface until later. Someone saw the movie, didn't understand the reference and thought it sounded like a cool term for 'badass' and appropriated it. Other folks who also didn't know the origin perpetuated the usage.

Ad already pointed out, the pipehitters in the movie were described as wielding pliers and blowtorches, not pipes. They hit the (crack)pipes, not hit WITH the pipes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This post nails it.

Pulp Fiction came out in '94. The SF association didn't surface until later. Someone saw the movie, didn't understand the reference and thought it sounded like a cool term for 'badass' and appropriated it. Other folks who also didn't know the origin perpetuated the usage.

Ad already pointed out, the pipehitters in the movie were described as wielding pliers and blowtorches, not pipes. They hit the (crack)pipes, not hit WITH the pipes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It certainly meant crack using individuals but was misinterpreted to mean individuals who would use pieces of plumbing or fencing as cudgels and "pipehitter" became a term for what some might call a "bad hombre".

This isn't much different from how this place has mangled some meanings,such as neckbeard.
100% this.

It’s an OLD drug term
This post nails it.

Exactly right, and every two weeks, when we redo this thread, we have several fools, so emotionally invested in this mistake, that they invent a fictitious "history" for the phrase. Its fuckin hilarious.

Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Up until recently it was crack smokers, now it's a lifestyle brand for douches.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For 20 years, I worked in the north, with tons of guys in the trades, and never once heard the term used in that context.
View Quote
It’s an Albany expression.
View Quote
Oh, well that explains it. I'm from Uti... GOOD LORD, WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!?!
View Quote
Aurora Borealis.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seymour, the kitchen’s on fire!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s an Albany expression.
Seymour, the kitchen’s on fire!
No mother, it's just the Northern Lights.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Based on the reaction after blowing Marvin's head off I'd say it was accidental. He also wasn't one of Wallace's crew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa! Back that truck up big fella. His finger was on the trigger the entire time.
Based on the reaction after blowing Marvin's head off I'd say it was accidental. He also wasn't one of Wallace's crew.
Go watch the scene again. You can watch as his finger moves and pulls the trigger. It was intentional.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crackheads. It was always crackheads. Until silly white people started using it.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is a term used in blue collar trade, mostly in the North, to describe someone who you can give any task to and he will get after it 110% with no complaints or words spoken. I think it has mostly been adopted by others at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a term used in blue collar trade, mostly in the North, to describe someone who you can give any task to and he will get after it 110% with no complaints or words spoken. I think it has mostly been adopted by others at this point.
Especially if that task is suckin’ dick for $20.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crackheads. It was always crackheads. Until silly white people started using it.
This.
25 years ago even silly white people knew it was crackheads.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pipe hitters = crackheads

Term made popular by this movie. Somehow adopted by veterans to mean badass or some shit like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRPz6-Tkww?t=80
View Quote
Yeah I saw a Spikes lower in a shop one time and asked owner what it meant. He startes telling me about this pipe hitters union thing...

No. WTF, why would I want to call myself a crackhead??

...unless I actually am a crackhead.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah I saw a Spikes lower in a shop one time and asked owner what it meant. He startes telling me about this pipe hitters union thing...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pipe hitters = crackheads

Term made popular by this movie. Somehow adopted by veterans to mean badass or some shit like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRPz6-Tkww?t=80

Pipehitter dickspider lower?!?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
See the problem is a bunch of nerdy white guys here are trying to divine meaning from a single line in a 25 year old movie written by a nerdy white guy. The line itself was delivered by a pretty cool black guy, who half of GD would probably boycott if they put it together that he played a “woke” role as gay firefighter.

When you link to Ving Rhames or QT saying that the line is about drug users instead of enforcers, I’ll give you your due. But until then, it’s pretty clear to anyone with an ounce of rational thought that he was referring to big thugs that specialize in “tune-ups.”
View Quote
Listen to any crack epidemic era rap and its full of references to sucking on/hitting the pipe. This was the cultural background at the time the movie was made.

First time I remember seeing pipehitter used in the badass connotation was mid 2000's on I want to say Lightfighter.

Someone should do an operator thread next. Its been awhile.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lost it.  I had a sudden vision of Denzel Washington as Eli, only he had a three-foot length of 1" ID steel pipe slung across his back, capped at the naughty end, with dried blood crusted in those few threads that still show, wandering endlessly searching for a new supply of teflon tape and solder....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could anyone misinterpret that? Besides the fact that it's obviously crackheads from the context, he plainly states that they're going to use pliers and a blowtorch, not pipes. Somehow people thought there was some subculture of plumbing samurai walking the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu?
Lost it.  I had a sudden vision of Denzel Washington as Eli, only he had a three-foot length of 1" ID steel pipe slung across his back, capped at the naughty end, with dried blood crusted in those few threads that still show, wandering endlessly searching for a new supply of teflon tape and solder....

I putty the fool who challenges that man.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
assrape with an extra p
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crack smoking thugs. Mistakenly adopted by some who thought it just meant badass. Not really a term of endearment unless you are looking to turn them loose on someone who asspraped you.
What is assprap?
assrape with an extra p
He likes pee
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP should start a daily thread asking one question ending the question with "Hell if I Know".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Username is fitting
OP should start a daily thread asking one question ending the question with "Hell if I Know".
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could anyone misinterpret that? Besides the fact that it's obviously crackheads from the context, he plainly states that they're going to use pliers and a blowtorch, not pipes. Somehow people thought there was some subculture of plumbing samurai walking the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu?

at both descriptions

"capped at the naughty end" lol
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top