Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#1]
These threads are always the same
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hard men from WWII crated good times that the boomers grew up in, making them weak.

The weak boomers created hard times that millennials have to endure and fix.

It’s really the boomers fault.

Thanks boomers.
View Quote

My grandfather had 7 kids and I believe this is true. He was a Korean war vet but close enough and in hindsight I can see this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP: The paper mill in Bogalousa??
View Quote

@Primecube

I spent 5 years in that mill, back in the day…
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

$22-$27 is shit pay for qualified help. It's the new starting wage to get people in and trained.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes a journeyman “qualified” ?     How much does someone get paid if they aren’t “qualified”.    

How much is the Actual new hire pay?       “Up to $35…”.      Isn’t giving us the facts.  

Qualified if they can pass a “hands on” test administered and proctored by our trainers (since local tech schools pass everyone.)  I don’t know the exact numbers, but something like $22, $27, $35 depending on skill level.

Unqualified can hire in with our overflow contractor at $12- $15. They change light bulbs in our offices and the occasional outlets.

$22-$27 is shit pay for qualified help. It's the new starting wage to get people in and trained.

I don’t think you are considering the cost of living. You can live well in Louisiana for $25/hr, just not in a big city.

I bought 3 different houses in the last 30 years, every one of them almost exactly 2x my salary at the time. I could have bought at 1/2 my salary, but chose not to.

I worked for everything I have, it seems everyone is entitled today and wants it handed to them.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Cell phones, social media

Telling everybody they need to go to college.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#6]
If I had to start over right now as an 18 year old with nothing, I think the military path would still work as a means to move into middle class, get a degree, buy a house, etc.

Go to college on a 2,3, or 4 year ROTC scholarship which are not difficult to get. Graduate with a paid or mostly paid degree, guaranteed job, serve your country, see the world, possibly pick up a masters degree during your service.

Conversely, enlist, get real world skills in high demand field, get degree with free tuition assistance, serve your country, get the GI Bill for a future master’s or to pass to your kids.

Stick around for 20 years, get a retirement, or leave early and still have a lot of benefits to use later.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:Where did the country go wrong?
View Quote
...when Americans degenerated into parasites:

Government Employment
Government Insurance
Government Education
Government Healthcare
Government Pharmaceuticals
Government Vaccinations
Government Welfare
Government Loans
Government Mortgages
Government Grants
Government Subsidies
Government Entitlements
Government Benefits
Government Disability
Government Housing
Government Food
Government Transportation
Government Childcare
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Government Employment
Government Insurance
Government Education
Government Healthcare
Government Vaccinations
Government Welfare
Government Loans
Government Mortgages
Government Grants
Government Subsidies
Government Entitlements
Government Benefits
Government Disability
Government Housing
Government Food
Government Childcare
View Quote
All things that started under FDR.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don’t think you are considering the cost of living. You can live well in Louisiana for $25/hr, just not in a big city.

I bought 3 different houses in the last 30 years, every one of them almost exactly 2x my salary at the time. I could have bought at 1/2 my salary, but chose not to.

I worked for everything I have, it seems everyone is entitled today and wants it handed to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes a journeyman “qualified” ?     How much does someone get paid if they aren’t “qualified”.    

How much is the Actual new hire pay?       “Up to $35…”.      Isn’t giving us the facts.  

Qualified if they can pass a “hands on” test administered and proctored by our trainers (since local tech schools pass everyone.)  I don’t know the exact numbers, but something like $22, $27, $35 depending on skill level.

Unqualified can hire in with our overflow contractor at $12- $15. They change light bulbs in our offices and the occasional outlets.

Does you Job have a Pension?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has your grocery bill not doubled in the last two years?

It has for most people.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Government Employment
Government Insurance
Government Education
Government Healthcare
Government Vaccinations
Government Welfare
Government Loans
Government Mortgages
Government Grants
Government Subsidies
Government Entitlements
Government Benefits
Government Disability
Government Housing
Government Food
Government Childcare

Till the day I die I doubt there will be a politician to do more damage to the American way of life than he did.  FBHO and Brandon are just taking advantage of what he put into motion.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

We currently are being led by weak men....we are in the precipice of living in hard times.
View Quote

That's a boomer go-to excuse for dropping the ball lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Currency debasement used to advance the creation of a one world government Beast system.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
First came air conditioning and television. That meant people spent much of the year sealed up in their houses watching TV instead of getting out and doing things, meeting their neighbors, things like that.

Then the government/feminists convinced women to go to work. Of course the women mostly wanted to do comfortable, indoor work, in air conditioned offices.

Then video games came out which further increased the trend of people staying indoors. And with the women working all the time the kids either raised themselves or were raised by some day care.

But women working didn't really increase productivity because the work they were doing was mostly paper shuffling and such. Somehow our economy magically created these jobs which generated little profit for the companies.

Then the government and corporations started exporting American jobs overseas. They created trade deals which let cheap products into the country. And while I am generally in favor of free trade, these deals allowed other countries to take advantage of us, hurting the American middle class. And the nation started to get flooded with third world workers.

And then there was welfare which broke up the family for reasons people here understand.

And then the moral backbone of this country, the Christian Church, was pushed out of American public life.

And then, addicted to air conditioning and playing video games all day, Americans started to look at actual work as being somehow beneath them. They wanted those comfy office jobs, not jobs in factories or on construction sites.

And the path to those jobs is college. So colleges stopped being places for the top 10% to go and started being the place everyone had to go in order to qualify for any job higher than a burger flipper. This caused college prices to skyrocket.

Meanwhile the desire for racial fairness caused educational standards to collapse across the board.

Then came the internet which just made many of the problems worse plus introduced social media. This meant that people could make "friends" with people just like them. Which meant people who were far outside the norm could convince themselves that they are the norm and just being oppressed by some terrible force.

And drugs, both illegal drugs and prescription psychoactive drugs being pushed by the medical community which totally screw up people's brain chemistry.

So, what you have now are people without any moral framework except for what some Woke professor told them or something they got out of some movie. They have no grounding in the value of their life or the life of anyone else. They have been poorly socialized, neglected by their parents, and likely have never been part of any real life community made up of people with actual differences. They are narcissistic believing that every little act of discrimination against whatever group they identify with is the moral equivalent of the Nazi Holocaust. They have been horribly mal-educated, knowing less than nothing. Many of them have massive college debts. They are watching the collapse or our society which leads to nihilism.

Point is that it's a lot of shit causing the mess we see today.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even though liberal government entitlements
are more addictive than cocaine,
no one can force you to take them.
So there is no one else to blame
for your parasitic addiction,
not even FDR.

(the general you... not the personal you )
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Aaaaannnnddddd subscribed.  I too enjoy having these conversations with the older folks while cross-referencing Zillow and inflation calculators.  As it turns out, you can no longer buy a 3/2 starter for 150% of your starting salary at age 22 with a STEM degree.
View Quote
I love looking at old classifieds with jobs and they pay now they same wage they did (or less) 30 years ago. That good $12 an hour /$25k a year job would be $28 and $58k, and no where near enough to buy a home.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Late 80's $9 -12 to start in maintenance. Now a journeyman can hire in at up to $35 if he's qualified. Half of them quit or are fired in 6 months.

I started out as a degreed salaried engineer at a whopping $16 an hour (annualized) in reality closer to $12 with the required overtime that was not covered in the salary.

View Quote
So you started them around $23 to 31 in todays dollars and "a journeyman can hire in at  $35" or $13.57 in 1988. And you started at ~$38 in todays money or more at around $80k.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Currency debasement used to advance the creation of a one world government Beast system.
View Quote

Idiots are already addicted to plastic,
so the liberal government's transition
to Central Bank Digital Currency
will be a small one.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Government Employment
Government Insurance
Government Education
Government Healthcare
Government Vaccinations
Government Welfare
Government Loans
Government Mortgages
Government Grants
Government Subsidies
Government Entitlements
Government Benefits
Government Disability
Government Housing
Government Food
Government Childcare

Yes FJB is as bad as peanut boy, but you’re right.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top