BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really a hack but I fill empty orange juice bottles with water and put them in my chest freezer
If power goes out the freezer stays cold longer and I have water if needed
View Quote

that and it keeps thermal mass so you don't spend as much cooling empty space.

Add to that. Freeze a dixie cup and place a quarter on the top. If you have  a power outage while you're gone the quarter will be at the bottom of the ice, so you know your food is ruined (since it thawed and re-froze).
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't expect things from other people. This cuts down on disappointment and give the upside of an occasional surprise.

It also took me a long time to figure out to empty my pockets in the same place every night so I'll know where my wallet, keys, and knife are the next morning.
View Quote

You should still do *the check* before you leave. Wallet-phone-knife-gun-keys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a good one. I started watching TV with CC on once I had kids just so I had something to do when holding them while the slept. Now they get mad when I turn the CC off.

Surprising my son likes reading he sets his timer on the microwave and reads everyday. I wish I could take credit I didn’t really do anything to create the habit. My daughter not so much, she reads, but I have to tell her and she gripes and complains about it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep a box of non-powdered latex gloves with your ammo.  That way you don't leave fingerprints on your casings when you load a mag.  If there are no witnesses, you can didi and not sweat it.

This thread has been better than the YLYL one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a dump tray or steal a cafeteria tray. Dump pockets into tray every night, stuff is in the same spot always and loose change etc is tidy
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

that and it keeps thermal mass so you don't spend as much cooling empty space.

Add to that. Freeze a dixie cup and place a quarter on the top. If you have  a power outage while you're gone the quarter will be at the bottom of the ice, so you know your food is ruined (since it thawed and re-froze).
View Quote

I freeze a cranberry juice (rectangle shape) about 80% full of water.  once the water is frozen, I will top off with water and red food coloring.  If you do it right, you should see a 'clear' bottom section with a dark red top portion.

Same story - if the bottle is uniform red, don't eat the food.  Simple and visual.  It is also easy to explain the the rest of the family living here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I watch everything at 2x.. Anything under that seems painfully slow
View Quote

Yup, after a while you get used to 2x, installed a widget "Video Speed Controller" to allow me to go up to 3x or more.  Makes watching an hour long video bearable, especially if the fucker talks slow.

Watching the Chauvin trial, once I tried going down to 1x just to see, and it was absolutely horrible.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Instead of using a dish to eat off of, and having to deal with that mess later, use a paper towel, folding it in half for messier things, and eating it over the sink.

You can just throw out the paper towel and wash the gunk and your fingers off all at the same time.

Also pro-tip:  You can eat right out of the container, over the sink for extra efficiency.
View Quote

So, your "pro tip" is to hang out at the kitchen sink for meals instead of sitting at the table?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

While boiling hot dogs, place a wire rack over the pan and steam your buns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pee in the sink. Less splash.

Stand on tip toes at the end of the stream to get another few drops out.

After boiling hotdogs, use the water to make ice cubes and drop them in peoples glasses you don't like.

Jesus - did Thorazine teach you two to cook?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I only buy white vehicles. And I steal WIFI from my neighbors.

The WIFI saves me $100 a month and the neighbors don’t even know it. They are the ones that gave me the password
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't expect things from other people. This cuts down on disappointment and give the upside of an occasional surprise.

It also took me a long time to figure out to empty my pockets in the same place every night so I'll know where my wallet, keys, and knife are the next morning.

I call "the check" the pocket dance
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Military hack, but might apply in civilian life:

Leave a spare hat on your desk with a set of old keys in it. Make sure to include an old car key. When you dissappear for the day, people will assume that you are around somewhere since "your hat and keys are on your desk".
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Feeling guilty for letting your kids watch TV and not read more?  Put it on mute with the closed captioning on and bam they are reading now.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#14]
for any new parents that use diaper pails.  The stink of baby shit some how permeates the molecules of diaper genies or metal pails even with awesome garbage bags in them and frequent bag changes.

Buy some odor absorbing kitty litter (Arm and Hammer works amazingly) and pour a good amount in the bottom of the diaper pail, no bag just straight into the pail.  It'll absorb all the stank, and make changing the bags more bearable.  Shake the pail every bag change to get unstinkafied kitty litter to the top.  Dumb and replace the kitty litter every two weeks, it gets saturated with stink even without cats pissing and shitting in it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Adam Sandler has a hilarious skit/tune about this very thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Leave a spare hat on your desk with a set of old keys in it. Make sure to include an old car key. When you dissappear for the day, people will assume that you are around somewhere since "your hat and keys are on your desk".
View Quote

Pure unadulterated genius right there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep your cereal in the freezer, it keeps it from getting soggy so fast.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Always carry two pens and paper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The green lid from the Parmesan cheese container will fit on a mason jar:

https://www.diynatural.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mason_jars3.jpg
View Quote

THANKS !
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Your favorite bar of soap - Use it for mustache wax. I’m a simple guy and like Ivory.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fucking genius, except I have a fob now...

I guess the extra $300 is worth it
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pee in the sink. Less splash.

Stand on tip toes at the end of the stream to get another few drops out.

After boiling hotdogs, use the water to make ice cubes and drop them in peoples glasses you don't like.

Have you never bought a hot dog from a cart somewhere? They're boiled with steamed buns and they're delicious.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Whiskey makes everything better...

No but seriously idk why but I never knew this that the little arrow on your dash next to your gas gauge tells you which side your gas tank is on.  Really helps when I'm driving some of our work vehicles or someone elses car.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Feeling guilty for letting your kids watch TV and not read more?  Put it on mute with the closed captioning on and bam they are reading now.
View Quote

If you can change the language, BAM! ...they are learning spanish!

Or if you just like to troll them, change the language and remove battery from remote control.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dat.
Gross.

Melt butter in skillet,  slop bread in melted butter, set bread aside. Heat skillet to just below medium. Throw bread buttered side down, add cheese and other slice of bread on top. About 45 seconds, flip over. Give it a good mashing.  Cook till golden brown.  Throw on paper plate. Eat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't eat breakfast, it's a waste of time and makes lunch that much better

When cooking a grilled cheese, just melt the butter in the skillet instead of spreading it on the bread

Put the lid of your prescription bottles on upside down to avoid the child proof feature

At night, sit down on the toilet to piss.

Use mayo on the bread instead of butter. Spreads easier and toasts the breads more evenly.

Dat.
Gross.

Melt butter in skillet,  slop bread in melted butter, set bread aside. Heat skillet to just below medium. Throw bread buttered side down, add cheese and other slice of bread on top. About 45 seconds, flip over. Give it a good mashing.  Cook till golden brown.  Throw on paper plate. Eat.
Get a butter bell you savages.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Tbr1806 buy a fake FOB replacement on ebay but don't program it
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Learn to PROPERLY coil cables. It frequently makes life much better.

I'm amazed at how few people actually know how to do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Keep several graves dug, in different locations, at all times. They can be real time savers if you wind up with an unexpected body.
View Quote

Don't forget to keep  supply of endangered plants to cover the graves with so it's illegal to dig them up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stupid thing my wife hates, but I hate messes more.
I throw the laundry detergent cup in with the wash every time.  It doesn't get all messed up with drips, etc.
Keeps the cabinet above the washer from having tacky detergent on it.

View Quote

Instead, use powdered detergent like washing machine manufactures recommend.  Regardless of the mess; why store, lug around and pay for the water your machine adds anyway?  [Same with the dishwasher]

Then use the Mexican brand Foca.  Works excellente and comically cheaper than El Tide.  

Then use 1/3 the amount suggested and the Extra Rinse cycle.

In a Speed Queen Classic machine [eta 14 min for actual clean clothes].

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#30]
whenever I put something, phone, tool whatever on the hood, roof or pick up bed, I always put my keys with it
this way I have no chance of driving off loosing all my crap on the road.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wash almost all of my handguns in the dishwasher.  Gets em spotless.  Never had a rust issue.
View Quote

some detergents are hell on aluminum, might want to be careful about what you're putting in there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Along with keeping the deep freeze at max density with frozen apple juice juice jugs(square) filled with water,

I keep a dozen bottles of drinking water frozen and use them for ice in the ice chest.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I put my dirty clothes in the washer and keep my clean clothes in the dryer
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Strong magnets are awesome stud finders. They are attracted to the drywall screws so you fairly close to center.

Landscape chemicals-just write down the dilution rate on the outside. You'll never remember them and thumbing through the stick on instructions suck.

If you're gassy but can't fart. Get down on your hands and knees like your praying to mecca. The farts will flow

Short step or kiddy stool in front of the toilet. Shit slides out so much easier.

Got a gas grill with a side burner and a charcoal grill? The side burner starts up the charcoal much quicker in a chimney starter.

(more for seasonal people) Want an outside TV but don't want to pay the cost for an outside rated one? TV mounts are cheap and most things are streaming. Mount a regular TV outside using a Roku/AMazon stick. Most mounts use some sort of hook bracket and screws-forget the screws. When done, just lift off and bring inside. Take about 10 secs to unplug and bring inside.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Learn when to do the buy-once, cry-once rule. If something is expensive, but you use it frequently and it makes your life easier or your work more efficient, pay the big money.

Case in point. Most of my tools for home use are the house brands at Home Depot or Lowes. But for a 3/8 ratchet, I spent $130 on the Snap-on flex-head model. It cost 10X as much as the cheapo ratchet that came with the cheapo sockets from Autozone. But it works perfectly and it's a joy to use. Picking it up after the Autozone crap ratchet is like Harry Potter finding the right wand at Ollivanders.

Learn when to be frugal and when to spend big.
View Quote
Somewhat similar, if buying cheap tools and and you use it enough that you break it. Spend the cash for a good replacement.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I reuse ketchup bottles for BBQ sauce that comes in the larger jugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the ketchup bottle is almost empty, I pour a little vinegar in and use it on chicken.

I reuse ketchup bottles for BBQ sauce that comes in the larger jugs.
Not really a hack, but those (more) expensive flavored ketchups (jalapeno ketchup, balsamic, etc).

Save the bottles I just make my own sometimes using my own garden produce.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Lemon juice caps are almost always a bitch to remove. Drill a hole and never need to open one again
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Knock off from eBay. Hell it could be just the shell also.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I try not to be tarded. Makes life a lot easier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A white trash bag, same works for front take down pin detent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another one.

When installing the buffer detent pin and spring in an AR, place the lower in a garbage bag while doing it.

A white trash bag, same works for front take down pin detent.

I've always used a large clear ziplock bag so I could see what I'm doing and still be protected.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"They" don't know that you only have a FOB...I have a couple spare keys for my son's old Camry that I keep for this purpose.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Instead, use powdered detergent like washing machine manufactures recommend.  Regardless of the mess; why store, lug around and pay for the water your machine adds anyway?  [Same with the dishwasher]

Then use the Mexican brand Foca.  Works excellente and comically cheaper than El Tide.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid thing my wife hates, but I hate messes more.
I throw the laundry detergent cup in with the wash every time.  It doesn't get all messed up with drips, etc.
Keeps the cabinet above the washer from having tacky detergent on it.

Hell, if you're going to go that far, make your own washing powder out of fels naptha, borax, and washing powder. I spend about an hour one afternoon and made enough laundry soap to last a year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Long as you get it really good and hot to evaporate that water, and the kitchen boss either doesn't mind or never finds out about it, you do you, too, man.

Don't try it on the energy saver setting, or leave the guns in there after the cycle without unloading them to dry properly ASAP, or you'll find out how rustproof your metal coatings are in short order.
View Quote

Just monitor your family's lead levels and watch out for the carcinogens as well, and you should be good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What happens when the bag leaks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peel 5 or 6 garbage bags off the roll and place them in the bottom of your kitchen garbage can before you line the can with a bag.
Instant access to a replacement when you take out the full garbage bag.

What happens when the bag leaks?

This is why I no longer use this hack. I do keep a roll nearby, but never at the bottom. Trash juice is nothing to play with
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#45]
No more messy extension cord.
Best Way to Store an Extension Cord

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#46]
-Buy all your car parts online or from Amazon. WAY cheaper and better quality than from kraken or autozone.

-When camping store your stuff in the clear plastic containers with flanges and the rubber gasket. You can get them at target. Critters cannot get in them, you can see which container you need and packing up is real easy.

-When camping do as much prep work at home as possible. Then store them in Tupperware.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]
If you cook frozen cobblers, etc. you know how they stick to the container.  You can’t scrape it all off.  Try this:  pop out the frozen cobbler or lazanya and spray the container with Pam or other cooking spray.  Now when you cook it, it doesn’t stick.
I’ve even given this tip to restaurants and they thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#48]
When frying a turkey, after getting your oil to temp make sure to turn off the burner before lowering the turkey into the fryer. If it the oil splashes over the sides there won’t be a open flame to ignite the oil.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll order 2 or 3 combos with different drinks so the drive thru cashier doesn't think I'm a fatass going to eat all the food by myself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
-Buy all your car parts online or from Amazon. WAY cheaper and better quality than from kraken or autozone.

-When camping store your stuff in the clear plastic containers with flanges and the rubber gasket. You can get them at target. Critters cannot get in them, you can see which container you need and packing up is real easy.

-When camping do as much prep work at home as possible. Then store them in Tupperware.
View Quote

Rock Auto for car parts and Cheap Cycle Parts for motorcycles.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top