Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/7/2022 1:38:42 PM EDT
This topic came up at work where people were talking about foresters vs outbacks and a bunch of automotive niches I know nothing about.

Say you already have a massive petrol or Diesel engine 3/4 ton 4x4, a Rubicon, a trail rated V8 Grand Cherokee, G-wagon, X5, Land Cruiser, manual transmission FJ, 4Runner, whatever-
This is not a discussion for kick ass GD vehicles.  It’s also not the discussion for how you have kept your 1994 4Runner going for 500K miles doing all your own work.

What AWD car/CUV with great price to value ration, great mpg, great size/storage for price, great resale, can handle adverse road conditions, light off road stuff do people get?

The kind of thing you would get if your favorite daughter was going off to college in Maine or you son was starting his first job in Colorado sort of thing.  Or to recommended to someone starting out on a budget that must get to work in bad weather?  That they would not be embarrassed in.  That is available new or fairly new.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Half the replies in here will be Jeep the other half will be Tacoma’s with a snorkel… anything less you may die
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I really like her AWD 2020 Ford Fusion. But I also have a 2020 Escape SE with the Ecoboost and AWD that has the snow modes that the Fusion doesn’t have that is super fun to drive in the snow. The Escape is what my company gave me.

If I had to buy my wife a car again I’d buy the Escape.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Half the replies in here will be Jeep the other half will be Tacoma’s with a snorkel… anything less you may die
View Quote

Nah, OP was descriptive.

Mazda CX-5 sounds up his alley. Incredibly reliable, not as expensive as some of the competition, and holds value decently. And they look nice, to boot.

I personally feel from the description, a Japanese car should be very high on your list.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nah, OP was descriptive.

Mazda CX-5 sounds up his alley. Incredibly reliable, not as expensive as some of the competition, and holds value decently.
View Quote

Yep people over look Mazda. The CX-5 is up his alley, but so is the new CX-50.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw an AWD Mazda 3 the other day; didn't know they came in AWD.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a Rav4 2022 it should be in this weekend I hope

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I saw an AWD Mazda 3 the other day; didn't know they came in AWD.
View Quote

And turbo. I'm currently dailying an AWD turbo Mazda 3 hatchback. Great daily especially with snow tires in this season. I really like the new CX-50 coming, though, so I'll probably end up in that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Buick TourX is awesome. I should have kept ours, but needed another Suburban.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
A base model Forester comes with all the necessary gadgets and runs about $25K.

City MPG is abysmal, but mine will get 20's in the burbs, and 35-40 highway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Our '15 Ford Edge Sport has been great, it's big enough for adults to ride in the back and has plenty of power. Mileage is around 21mpg and the AWD has been tested in snow and mountains without issue. Also AC seats are the bees knees
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

He said that his kids wouldn’t be embarrassed in - Buick LOL.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd be comparison shopping CX-5, Rav 4, Forrester, and maybe a Hyundai/Kia variant since their new AWD system doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really like the wife’s ‘19 RAV4.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He said that his kids wouldn’t be embarrassed in - Buick LOL.
View Quote

It's German (Rebadged Opel Insignia) and looks better than a Mercedes of the same style. 2.0L GM turbo engine, AWD, tons of room, aisin trans.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I can only speak to the Outback--we have had three now, and have been completely happy with all of them.  Reasonably priced, good options, decent MPGs, excellent safety features and an AWD system that seems to be very well regarded.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I really like the wife's '19 RAV4.

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/W9qyNbNj9WaonBB/preview
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like the wife's '19 RAV4.

They used to be the ugly duckling of the segment, but they grew up well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#19]
My hybrid highlander has done great work on all the snow and ice around northern VA the last week or so.

It’s 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I’d expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren’t about to trade up to a 4Runner.

The AWD is literally idiot proof, it just works, no buttons or any reason to think about it at all. Just drive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep people over look Mazda. The CX-5 is up his alley, but so is the new CX-50.
View Quote

Didn’t know these were on the horizon!
They look good! Hopefully they use the same components that make the CX-5 reliable.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Didn't know these were on the horizon!
They look good! Hopefully they use the same components that make the CX-5 reliable.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/A1D14FD7-E188-4C04-9E2C-EE7D1E2304DB_png-2231751.JPG
View Quote
Production started yesterday I believe. Should be in dealers this spring.

I wish I had known about them before I bought the 3. I test drove the 5, but there was something about the cockpit layout I didn't like. The 3 nailed it, and the 50 is based on the 3/CX-30. Basically same cockpit which I really really like.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Rav4 hybrid, 40mpg and best at holding resale (until the battery starts dying)
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
With no budget i'd go with a RAV4 Prime XSE w/ Premium Package.

Lower budget: Mazda3 Hatchback Turbo AWD.
Lower Budget then that: Subaru Crosstrek Sport/Limited

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Highlander
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's German (Rebadged Opel Insignia) and looks better than a Mercedes of the same style. 2.0L GM turbo engine, AWD, tons of room, aisin trans.
View Quote

German - sold by a US MFG? Even more of a reason to stay the F away

And

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
25-26 k you can get an entry level forester.  if you wanna go DELUXE look at the outback wildeness.

subaru's are suprisingly capable off road...  as my local jeep club can tell you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I think it's now more a what can you actually find that doesn't take 6mths to order at 5-10K over MSRP with dealer markups?

Which sucks as we're looking to get my wife into a new vehicle right now and the hybrid maverick she wanted is unobtanium right now...the search expands.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#28]
We had one for 2 years. It was perfect other than the foam inside the tires from the factory. Cheap because Buick didn't market them at all. Ours stickered at 40k got it for 30k new. Probably low 20's for a clean on now. Seats are good if you aren't morbidly obese. Apple car play etc. It is built better than my 2021 Z71 Suburban, that's for sure...
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I believe the best bang for the buck and probably the best AWD systems available on the market today belongs to the Honda Passport. Also Pilot if looking for 3rd row.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Our '15 Ford Edge Sport has been great, it's big enough for adults to ride in the back and has plenty of power. Mileage is around 21mpg and the AWD has been tested in snow and mountains without issue. Also AC seats are the bees knees
View Quote

People like to knock Ford / Lincoln, but if you want bang for the buck, a 2-4 year old Edge or Escape isn't a bad way to go to fit OP's criteria. Proven platform, good longevity with normal maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Budget?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#32]
The top 3 in my book, in no particular order, are the CX5, the Rav4 Hybrid, and the Forester.

The CX5 is, subjectively, the best looking vehicle in the segment, and objectively, it's either the best handling or very close to it. The model has a great reputation, and it almost single-handedly keeping the bills paid for Mazda. It's the one I'd want to spend the time in.

For the Rav4 Hybrid, last time I checked, the Hybrid was a $800 option over a standard AWD Rav4, it's a full second faster 0-60, and it gets ~40 MPG. It's the one I'd want to pay the bills for.

The Forester is a bit on the crude side, but the pricing is usually very competitive, they have a great AWD system, and safety is typically among the best. It's the one I'd want in shitty conditions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The top 3 in my book, in no particular order, are the CX5, the Rav4 Hybrid, and the Forester.

The CX5 is, subjectively, the best looking vehicle in the segment, and objectively, it's either the best handling or very close to it. The model has a great reputation, and it almost single-handedly keeping the bills paid for Mazda. It's the one I'd want to spend the time in.

For the Rav4 Hybrid, last time I checked, the Hybrid was a $800 option over a standard AWD Rav4, it's a full second faster 0-60, and it gets ~40 MPG. It's the one I'd want to pay the bills for.

The Forester is a bit on the crude side, but the pricing is usually very competitive, they have a great AWD system, and safety is typically among the best. It's the one I'd want in shitty conditions.
View Quote

RAV4s are cool, I like them, but they're too damn small for me.  I like the Highlander better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I believe the best bang for the buck and probably the best AWD systems available on the market today belongs to the Honda Passport. Also Pilot if looking for 3rd row.
View Quote

You price one lately?

They aren't really in the price range of what he is looking for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Volvo S60.  Used are cheap to buy and great cars.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I paid $26k for my Bronco Sport and it averages 31mpg. It went through our recent snow storms effortlessly, and I've taken it on some decently steep, rocky mountain trails without a problem.

All memes and nonsense aside, it's a great vehicle for the money.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Mazda CX-5

I bought my sammich maker one. We have 3 Mazdas in the family and all are great cars.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#39]
We bought a 2012 Kia Sorento in 2017. It had 56k on it, more or less. We got the V6 model with AWD.

We're at 193xxx or so miles now. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat (but it would have to be a V6, and this time we'd get leather seats). Excellent, reliable car.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You price one lately?

They aren't really in the price range of what he is looking for.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. Even used Pilots are well over the price of a brand new CX-5 - our friends just offloaded their 2015 Pilot with almost 100K miles for $30K! And I don't think his college kids need a soccer-mom mobile with 3 rows.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s an out of production estate wagon that for like 20mpg and depreciated about 60% over five years.
Not really the gist of what the co-workers were talking about.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I rented a Mitsubishi Outlander last years for a 2 week trip and put over 1000 miles on it.  I was impressed by it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can only speak to the Outback--we have had three now, and have been completely happy with all of them.  Reasonably priced, good options, decent MPGs, excellent safety features and an AWD system that seems to be very well regarded.
View Quote

This was part of the conservation going on.
They was some debate over the outback being roomier and better, but the forester being taller and better,
And there should be an outback sized forester.

Not a niche I am familiar with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#44]
If I was your child I might be more embarrassed of you using the word petrol over what model a free car is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I really like the wife’s ‘19 RAV4.

View Quote

There was also talk of the RAV hybrid being perfect because it was a great mpg AWD, decent resale/depreciation, and a 7500 dollar rebate for being a hybrid.
Not sure if that is still true, there was also talk of some brands of EVs not getting a rebate anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd be checking out the Crosstrek.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Got the wife a cherokee trailhawk. Car shopping suxs.
It has a hearbox instead of CVT. Locking diff and 4L.

We have to go up mountain roads to get to the house.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

RAV4s are cool, I like them, but they're too damn small for me.  I like the Highlander better.
View Quote

The price difference is substantial and the Highlander get worse mileage. What I need is a Highlander with Corolla mileage and pricing
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My hybrid highlander has done great work on all the snow and ice around northern VA the last week or so.

It’s 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I’d expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren’t about to trade up to a 4Runner.

The AWD is literally idiot proof, it just works, no buttons or any reason to think about it at all. Just drive.
View Quote

@Josh

Are you saying the 4 Runner is an upgrade over the Highlander? I've been looking at Highlanders and haven't considered a 4Runner
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The price difference is substantial and the Highlander get worse mileage. What I need is a Highlander with Corolla mileage and pricing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a world where we can just break the law of physics of course!  

Yes, it's definitely true though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top