Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/14/2022 9:43:35 AM EDT
Seems like it implies that I go 65 in a 65 zone in the right lane but if I get close to a 60 person I pull to the left lane and pass, then get back in the right lane.

I don't do this and nobody else does. I just go 78 in the left lane all the time. If someone is going 85 I might get out of their way but they can polish pass me if I don't notice them coming.

But the passing lane is for doing illegal shit right? Nobody actually passes going less than the speed limit, right? So I never got this holier than thou mentality that the left lane is for passing as though nobody speeds in that lane. That shit's for lawbreaking.

When i drive on I35 on a Sunday afternoon everyone is coming back from the cabin. Right lane is usually 78, left is 83. Bumper to bumper and don't f'ing slow down or you'll cause an accident. No room for this passing stuff, both lanes are packed with lawlessness. And the state troopers know not to mess with cabin people trying to get back to the cities. Just keep it floored until you hit the northern metro burbs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
8 over is hardly speeding (assuming 70mph limit). GTFO of the way for those of us that really want to break the law.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Either trolling or retarded.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It means you pass then get the fuck back over in the right lane.

It's a hard concept for some but that's how it's supposed to work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
8 over is hardly speeding (assuming 70mph limit). GTFO of the way for those of us that really want to break the law.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]
It means if someone wants to pass you, and you're not actively passing someone in the right lane or otherwise impeded from further acceleration - move the fuck over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a place to get pissed off, flash your lights, and honk your horn.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm gonna vote both. OP needs some more coffee or something.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

In many states, "keep right except to pass" is law.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I read the title, haven't read the OP yet.

The passing lane means get the fuck out the way. If you're being passed on the right, you're wrong.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I read the title, haven't read the OP yet.

The passing lane means get the fuck out the way. If you're being passed on the right, you're wrong.
View Quote

This, regardless of how fast you're going.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a lane that no one belongs in. Anyone in it is either going too slow and or too fast. If you do get in it you can't get out because everyone is going around on the right and you can't speed up because someone ahead of you is running slower. It's quite the enigma, I avoid it at all costs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seems like it implies that I go 65 in a 65 zone in the right lane but if I get close to a 60 person I pull to the left lane and pass, then get back in the right lane.

I don't do this and nobody else does. I just go 78 in the left lane all the time. If someone is going 85 I might get out of their way but they can polish pass me if I don't notice them coming.

But the passing lane is for doing illegal shit right? Nobody actually passes going less than the speed limit, right? So I never got this holier than thou mentality that the left lane is for passing as though nobody speeds in that lane. That shit's for lawbreaking.

When i drive on I35 on a Sunday afternoon everyone is coming back from the cabin. Right lane is usually 78, left is 83. Bumper to bumper and don't f'ing slow down or you'll cause an accident. No room for this passing stuff, both lanes are packed with lawlessness. And the state troopers know not to mess with cabin people trying to get back to the cities. Just keep it floored until you hit the northern metro burbs.
View Quote

If you get in the left lane to pass a vehicle, then make a prompt pass* and get out of the left lane.
If you're not willing to exceed the speed limit to make a prompt pass, then stay out of the left lane.

* A 5mph (7.3 ft/s) delta between your speed and the car you're passing should allow you to pass the average vehicle in about 5 seconds or a semi truck in about 15 seconds.
If you're taking longer than this to pass in the clear, then fuck off and stay in the lane behind the slower vehicle.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just described the majority of the content of this site.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#15]
OP let me help you:

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#16]
7 or 8mph over the posted speed limit is/was the error within the radar thus giving 'us' more leeway of escaping a speeding ticket.  It's not speeding
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh geez, another thread about people breaking the law and then they are complaining about other people breaking the law.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
7 or 8mph over the posted speed limit is/was the error within the radar thus giving 'us' more leeway of escaping a speeding ticket.  It's not speeding
View Quote

Good luck explaining that logic to a Texas DPS officer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#19]
You get by the slower person then get back in the right lane.

If there is a line of slower people you can stay in the left lane while passing all of them,  you can fucking live in that lane if you want assuming a heavy traffic situation but the second someone comes up behind you you get the fuck to the right ASAP.

Good drivers watch all the mirrors for traffic coming from behind and get the fuck over ASAP if they see someone coming up on them. They don't wait and make people slow down then get over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:* A 5mph (7.3 ft/s) delta between your speed and the car you're passing should allow you to pass the average vehicle in about 5 seconds or a semi truck in about 15 seconds.
If you're taking longer than this to pass in the clear, then fuck off and stay in the lane behind the slower vehicle.
View Quote

Your math doesn't make sense

Googling will tell you the recommended safe following distance is 3sec. This is BS. At 60mph you cover 88fps and the average reaction time is 1.5sec. So, you've already eaten up half your following distance. This leaves 1.5sec and ~132ft to stop. The average stopping distance, of a "regular sized" vehicle is >140ft. You're going to make contact...

So, lets just bump it to a 4sec following distance. (not saying this is better)
If you're going to pass a vehicle, w/ a 4sec distance, at a delta of 7.3fps, at 60mph, you'll need to cover: the following distance (4*88), the length of your car (~15ft), the length of their car (~15ft), and another safe following distance (4*88). That's 206ft. At 7.3fps, it'll take >28sec to travel that distance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Keep right except to pass. Passing on the right is (or used to be) a ticketable offense in some places.

Either there's rules, or there aren't. If there aren't, anything goes. Which is fun, until shit happens and you try to blame it on someone else. Amirite?

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Rando in an F-150 this morning was chillin in the left lane, miles of road ahead of him, and traffic stacked up. People started shifting over two lanes to the right to get around him and two semis.

I finally got up to him and flashed my lights a couple times and he actually got over!!!!  I couldn't believe it!

First time ever.

I made my pass and got over to the right one lane.

Today is a good day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you get in the left lane to pass a vehicle, then make a prompt pass* and get out of the left lane.
If you're not willing to exceed the speed limit to make a prompt pass, then stay out of the left lane.

* A 5mph (7.3 ft/s) delta between your speed and the car you're passing should allow you to pass the average vehicle in about 5 seconds or a semi truck in about 15 seconds.

View Quote
Yep. Keep right except to pass, and if you do pass, you need to expedite. Shit or get off the pot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm legally changing my name to "Passing" so I have my own private lane -  and then suing all of ya'll for trespassing!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
It means nothing when the roads are packed.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am voting Retarded.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not both?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#28]
My speedometer identifies as 65mph when it reads 85mph, you bigots.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Life in the Fast Lane (2013 Remaster)

Life in the Fast Lane
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#30]
A person I work with travels from N Idaho to Spokane it's about 30 miles. He got a ticket for traveling in the left lane. It is considered a passing lane only.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think both.

Isn’t this the buffet guy?  

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Please, camp in the mountains and not in the left lane.

BTW, most states have a "drive in the right lane" law for highway driving. It's just that the Americans, that got taught by Grandpa and Grandma never learned that because in the 30s there was barely any traffic  
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#33]
If we're talking highway/interstate-type multi-lane roads then it ain't a/the passing lane, its the fast lane.

Single-lane roads/highways that have occassional passing lanes have passing lanes...

...says so on the signs

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Googling will tell you the recommended safe following distance is 3sec. This is BS. At 60mph you cover 88fps and the average reaction time is 1.5sec. So, you've already eaten up half your following distance. This leaves 1.5sec and ~132ft to stop. The average stopping distance, of a "regular sized" vehicle is >140ft. You're going to make contact...

If you're going to pass a vehicle, w/ a 4sec distance, at a delta of 7.3fps, at 60mph, you'll need to cover: the following distance (4*88), the length of your car (~15ft), the length of their car (~15ft), and another safe following distance (4*88). That's 206ft. At 7.3fps, it'll take >28sec to travel that distance.
View Quote

You are assuming the car ahead stops immediately. If it takes ~8 ft to stop from 60mph to 0, it has hit a concrete wall, which means you weren't looking beyond 1 car in front of you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Usually when I come across someone in the left lane doing something similar to what you're doing, or even worse, going the speed limit while camping in the left lane, I'll pass them, then move into their lane, activate windshield washers, and remind them what the left lane is for.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Learn to drive.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Get out of the left lane, Karen.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Drive right, pass left!

At any speed!

If you are not passing, you should be in the right lane.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It means you pass then get the fuck back over in the right lane.

It's a hard concept for some but that's how it's supposed to work.
View Quote

A lot of drivers get on the interstate and move it to the passing lane ASAP. They get out of the passing lane when they get off of the interstate. Based on this, the passing lane is used when you are not entering or exiting the interstate.

To be fair, they do get out of the passing lane if there is a car doing less than 10 over in front of them or the lane is under construction.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am voting Retarded.
View Quote

Tens of millions did in the last election.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Yesterday on I94 in Montana, I found out my cruise control only goes up to 90. I was in the left lane.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#42]
According to some I have seen post on here, it is a place for them to go 5 under the speed limit because they are in no hurry and pay taxes so deal with it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh geez, another thread about people breaking the law and then they are complaining about other people breaking the law.
View Quote

Fuck the law.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Over here in the northeast great salt flats, the right lane is only for people who enjoy replacing suspension and steering components.  Especially in PA.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#45]
OP is retarded.

Highway speed limits in general are dumb, traffic will naturally flow at the speed people feel comfortable with regardless of what the posted limit is. Speed differential between vehicles is actually the only speed related factor that has a definite affect on safety, not the overall speed. Many roads it is perfectly safe to cruise at 100-130mph if the vehicle is capable of it and the conditions are right (open road, far sight distance, etc). However, a car doing 80 passing someone doing 50 is actually far more dangerous due to the fact that the slower vehicle has far less reaction time to see the overtaking vehicle.

But dumb people will argue that people speeding are putting everyone's lives at risk strictly because they're going over the posted speed limit. Its a barometer for someones critical thinking abilities.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Everybody is dying to get there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It means nothing when the roads are packed.
View Quote

Absolutely true. The guy in the Bro Dozer in the left tail gating and flashing his lights during rush hour is a moron.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Through Detoit on I94, the speed limit is 55mph. The slow lane does 80mph on clear traffic times.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Texas DPS site specifically says 6 seconds is the safe following distance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top