Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife's car - may be more fun to have folks guess.  I'd wager for the right car buff it'll take about 2 trys. ;)
View Quote

Mclaren?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I told myself no luxury purchases till my house is paid for.
If all goes well this next year I may have that taken care of.  This is not a thread I need to be subscribed too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Blackwing
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm amazed the busses my new F250 6.7L Diesel puts on unsuspecting fools.
Total Sleeper
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks like that blue GT3 was photographed at the (now defunct?) Maserati dealership at the Glebe Rd ramp off 395N.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This one (the dealership) is up in Sterling.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

You'd be cool in the 60's driving around in one of these. Probably still be cool driving around making people wonder what it is.
View Quote

That's actually a great idea, and I'd probably go that way myself...but with $150K I damn sure wouldn't be buying a BE Sprite. Not when $80-90K will get you a near-concours quality Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 Mk III.

There's a raft of other choices from that era, but many of the premium examples (Jag E-Type and Porsche 356 convertibles spring to mind) are actually moving out of OP's budget. Even the BMW Z8s are getting crazy expensive.

Such a beautiful roadster...

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Ah, looked like the one off Glebe during reno.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Double tap
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mazda Miata, spend the rest of it in aftermarket parts
View Quote

Three Miatas.

Destroy two learning how to drive and track the last one.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
A Viper! Don't care if it's the fastest, or newest.  I've always wanted one, and if I'm ever in the position to buy that's what will be in my garage.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can lease a mclaren f1 for ~2k/month

do that. Billionaire doors go up.
View Quote

Russ Hanneman
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
With a budget of $150, I think I’d chase a De Tomaso Pantera.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
No pics on the website yet but this is what I would import. I know it's not for everyone, but man oh man.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Love boosted 10's.  The plan was to send ours off to UGR or AMS then we couldn't decide which and lost interest in waiting for a 3 month long project. Something about high revving V10s just feels right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been working hard and I've managed to double my comp over last year, but 911 prices have also doubled so I'm back at square 1
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not true. The GTS has the 4.0 flat 6 as well.
View Quote

And so does the Spyder.....and the upcoming 4RS.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
QUESTION

Looking through the responses, there's a healthy vote for the 911 which I'm in celebatory favor of... even though they're currently priced out of bounds.

Of the 911 responses, why the GT3?  Is it the GT appeal from the racing pedigree or whatever?  The intoxicating engine wail you have to spin out for any power?  The exclusiveness that you and a few other dudes recognize?

Leaving emotions and feels aside, I ask because unless you're actively tracking the GT3 on a track without straights, it's probably the least functionally able of the 911 models.  

-- Super peaky powerband with limited torque and hp unless you're consistantly screaming at the top rpms --such as on a track.  This negatively affects driveability and acceleration.
-- Unessesary teeth rattling suspension rigidity unless it's primarily a track car
-- In the last 2 generations (992 and 991.2) significantly less power potential than the much lower priced aspirated non "Turbo" Carerra models.  
----You can easily mod the aspirated Carerra engines to above GT2 levels, but the n/a GT3 is stuck at stock peaky power.  
----As such with the same R-Compound tires, a 992 Carerra S with just a tune will push the tailpipes in on a 992 GT3.  Add suspension mods and brakes to the S and it's in the GT2 league.

-- That said, the 992 GT3 has an awesome PDK shifter unlike every other model 992, 3ven the Turbo S.  I'm betting the 992.2 will have it and the 992.1 will be the unwanted fried-egg headlight 996 model, but with the Braun shaver shifter.  The 992 GT3 unfortunately trades the awesome PDK shifter for mandatory headache centerlock wheels and an alacantara/race-tec suede cloth steering wheel that gets disgusting if you don't also wear race-tec gloves it was designed for use with.  If you didn't know, the two seude materials grip together.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

QUESTION

Looking through the responses, there's a healthy vote for the 911 which I'm in celebatory favor of... even though they're currently priced out of bounds.

Of the 911 responses, why the GT3?  Is it the GT appeal from the racing pedigree or whatever?  The intoxicating engine wail you have to spin out for any power?  The exclusiveness that you and a few other dudes recognize?

Leaving emotions and feels aside, I ask because unless you're actively tracking the GT3 on a track without straights, it's probably the least functionally able of the 911 models.  

-- Super peaky powerband with limited torque and hp unless you're consistantly screaming at the top rpms --such as on a track.  This negatively affects driveability and acceleration.
-- Unessesary teeth rattling suspension rigidity unless it's primarily a track car
-- In the last 2 generations (992 and 991.2) significantly less power potential than the much lower priced aspirated non "Turbo" Carerra models.  
----You can easily mod the aspirated Carerra engines to above GT2 levels, but the n/a GT3 is stuck at stock peaky power.  
----As such with the same R-Compound tires, a 992 Carerra S with just a tune will push the tailpipes in on a 992 GT3.  Add suspension mods and brakes to the S and it's in the GT2 league.

-- That said, the 992 GT3 has an awesome PDK shifter unlike every other model 992, 3ven the Turbo S.  I'm betting the 992.2 will have it and the 992.1 will be the unwanted fried-egg headlight 996 model, but with the Braun shaver shifter.  The 992 GT3 unfortunately trades the awesome PDK shifter for mandatory headache centerlock wheels and an alacantara/race-tec suede cloth steering wheel that gets disgusting if you don't also wear race-tec gloves it was designed for use with.  If you didn't know, the two seude materials grip together.  

View Quote

At this point I'd settle for a base Carerra
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

QUESTION

View Quote

Lots of questions and I'll do my best to answer. For context, my GT3 is a 991.2 6-speed manual 4.0L. NOT a RS. I've owned it for a year now. Little over, actually.

I've wanted a manual trans 911 forever. As I shopped for one, the GT3 drew me in because I liked the idea of a "no frills, all business" car like a lot of the street raced shitboxes i grew up building. No heated/cooled seats or steering wheel, manual seats, no steering wheel controls, etc. The racing pedigree never really entered into the thought process any more than it would with any 911 option.

The engine noise IS amaaaaaazzzzzing. Gives me goosebumps every time the intake manifold valves open around 4K. You don't really have to spin it a lot to get solid torque either. That was actually one of the biggest surprises. I thought the thing wouldn't really start pulling until like 5-6K or whatver, but that just isn't the case. Taking it to 9K is no big deal....but it never fails to make me cringe even though I know it's perfectly fine and was engineered to do that but I'm overcoming years of 7K redline V8s But seriously, it's not a peaky knife-edged power band at all.

Exclusiveness, sure. Prior to the GT3 I had 2 Hellcats and a ScatPack, all Challengers. Yes, they were fast and fun but it's true you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mopar (or a Mustang, etc) It is nice to drive a car that you don't see every day in some configuration or another. I work in Houston on the SE side (Clear Lake/Webster/Friendswood). I've probably seen 3 other 911s the whole time I've been here. A couple of Carreras and a Targa.

The suspension was another surprise. I kinda also expected a bone-jarring ride given the track focused nature of the GT3....but that isn't the case at all. It soaks up bumps, seams and chop VERY well. I could drive it daily, honestly. Not sure if the RS version is rougher riding, but the regular GT3 isn't bad at all. It's not a "Cadillac" floaty ride like the Mopars were, but it weighs over a 1,000 lbs less, too. I recently drove it to San Antonio, all over the hill country and back and it was a very pleasant trip.

The longer I've owned and driven the car the more in love with it I've become. Nothing else I've ever driven makes me feel as good. It's like a go cart for the street in its responsiveness and it's the only car I've owned that I don't have the urge to mod......other than a set of HRE wheels I have on order and a FabSpeed exhaust that REALLY lets that sound come out. If your goal is to out straightline everyone, go buy a 10-speed Mustang GT and bolt on a twin turbo kit. Not much will come close to you and stuff that does will cost much more. This car feels like wearing an Iron Man suit.

I'll tag @D_J to this to get his input too. He owned a 991.2 GT3 before moving on to his McLaren. He can confirm or deny my experiences with the car. (D_J's car was a PDK version, but otherwise pretty close to the same IIRC)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Forgot to add...not much noise insulation. Lots of tire noise. Doesn't bother me, but some people hate that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lots of questions and I'll do my best to answer. For context, my GT3 is a 991.2 6-speed manual 4.0L. NOT a RS. I've owned it for a year now. Little over, actually.

I've wanted a manual trans 911 forever. As I shopped for one, the GT3 drew me in because I liked the idea of a "no frills, all business" car like a lot of the street raced shitboxes i grew up building. No heated/cooled seats or steering wheel, manual seats, no steering wheel controls, etc. The racing pedigree never really entered into the thought process any more than it would with any 911 option.

The engine noise IS amaaaaaazzzzzing. Gives me goosebumps every time the intake manifold valves open around 4K. You don't really have to spin it a lot to get solid torque either. That was actually one of the biggest surprises. I thought the thing wouldn't really start pulling until like 5-6K or whatver, but that just isn't the case. Taking it to 9K is no big deal....but it never fails to make me cringe even though I know it's perfectly fine and was engineered to do that but I'm overcoming years of 7K redline V8s But seriously, it's not a peaky knife-edged power band at all.

Exclusiveness, sure. Prior to the GT3 I had 2 Hellcats and a ScatPack, all Challengers. Yes, they were fast and fun but it's true you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mopar (or a Mustang, etc) It is nice to drive a car that you don't see every day in some configuration or another. I work in Houston on the SE side (Clear Lake/Webster/Friendswood). I've probably seen 3 other 911s the whole time I've been here. A couple of Carreras and a Targa.

The suspension was another surprise. I kinda also expected a bone-jarring ride given the track focused nature of the GT3....but that isn't the case at all. It soaks up bumps, seams and chop VERY well. I could drive it daily, honestly. Not sure if the RS version is rougher riding, but the regular GT3 isn't bad at all. It's not a "Cadillac" floaty ride like the Mopars were, but it weighs over a 1,000 lbs less, too. I recently drove it to San Antonio, all over the hill country and back and it was a very pleasant trip.

The longer I've owned and driven the car the more in love with it I've become. Nothing else I've ever driven makes me feel as good. It's like a go cart for the street in its responsiveness and it's the only car I've owned that I don't have the urge to mod......other than a set of HRE wheels I have on order and a FabSpeed exhaust that REALLY lets that sound come out. If your goal is to out straightline everyone, go buy a 10-speed Mustang GT and bolt on a twin turbo kit. Not much will come close to you and stuff that does will cost much more. This car feels like wearing an Iron Man suit.

I'll tag @D_J to this to get his input too. He owned a 991.2 GT3 before moving on to his McLaren. He can confirm or deny my experiences with the car. (D_J's car was a PDK version, but otherwise pretty close to the same IIRC)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/CF348258-4E6D-4D8F-81B2-C7408BD428FB_jpe-2238445.JPG

View Quote

That is a beautiful car. Porsche GT cars are something special.

I've never owned a Porsche but I did get to drive a GTS around the track in Birmingham for a couple of days, just such a comfortable car for how capable it is.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Mecum Kissimmee on today, for 150k you could get a number of investment autos if you know what you’re doing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337680/CF348258-4E6D-4D8F-81B2-C7408BD428FB_jpe-2238445.JPG

View Quote

@NorthBridge , thank you.  Perfect answers to my slightly thorny questions.  I like reading car love stories and you have an awesome GT3 in the best color behind the PTS hot pink one I posted earlier.  We could be car friends or even family if you have a daughter or sister 28-40.  ??  

Not a fair comparison, but my first 911 an '80 SC scorned me on manual transmissions in that car forever.  My left leg was literally larger than my right from the non-hydraulic clutch.

While D_J is right that I've never owned a GT3, I have time in 2 friend's GT3s, one being an RS.  Both had fixed buckets, so maybe that and the RS contributed to the harshness.  They weren't my thing, but they LOVED them and are long-term owners and track wizards.  FWIW, they both had 800 and 1000hp Supras prior in the 90s when that was God-like power.

I see your point with the twin turbo Mustang, but I can't get over it being a Mustang as I've considered one.  The ones at both the straight and twisty tracks always seem to be broken.  9s or even 10s in a 911 that can also do decent circuit lap times is more impressive to me than 7s or 8s in a Mustang that's now a one trick...pony.  At least the new Mustangs actually look nice compared to those in years past and their 6R80 and 10R80 transmissions are up there with the PDK and in some regards better.  I'd love to do the 6R80 Supra conversion, but in totality costs more than the Mustang it fell out of at $30K with Motec.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@NorthBridge , thank you.  Perfect answers to my slightly thorny questions.  I like reading car love stories and you have an awesome GT3 in the best color behind the PTS hot pink one I posted earlier.  We could be car friends or even family if you have a daughter or sister 28-40.  ??  

Not a fair comparison, but my first 911 an '80 SC scorned me on manual transmissions in that car forever.  My left leg was literally larger than my right from the non-hydraulic clutch.

While D_J is right that I've never owned a GT3, I have time in 2 friend's GT3s, one being an RS.  Both had fixed buckets, so maybe that and the RS contributed to the harshness.  They weren't my thing, but they LOVED them and are long-term owners and track wizards.  FWIW, they both had 800 and 1000hp Supras prior in the 90s when that was God-like power.

I see your point with the twin turbo Mustang, but I can't get over it being a Mustang as I've considered one.  The ones at both the straight and twisty tracks always seem to be broken.  9s or even 10s in a 911 that can also do decent circuit lap times is more impressive to me than 7s or 8s in a Mustang that's now a one trick...pony.  At least the new Mustangs actually look nice compared to those in years past and their 6R80 and 10R80 transmissions are up there with the PDK and in some regards better.  I'd love to do the 6R80 Supra conversion, but in totality costs more than the Mustang it fell out of at $30K with Motec.  
View Quote

Same wheel base as 911, better drive train. straight 6 bmw ftw. :)

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you had a budget of 150k what sports car would you get? Note this would not be a daily driver.
View Quote

Slightly used 911.  I'd insist on one with a manual transmission...
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:26:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All the above is correct, and the original post quoted is way off base and has obviously never owned a GT3.
View Quote

I think I was on-base in my comparisons to non-GT aspirated 911's potential more than you'd like to think.  Unfortunate you had such a bad buying experience that I read on the Mac forum with your GT3 as you seemed to weaponize it on the track.  Btw some of those Mac guys seem like pompous assholes calling the GT3 a VW Beetle.  Hope you don't experience the $$$ Mac-gremlins which ultimately scared me off as my pockets don't have that reserve (buying used).  Shame because so damn sexy with power comparable to aspirated 911s albeit with a higher than expected turbo lag or more accurately boost threshold.  Have a fire extinguisher or two on-board. ??
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:44:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/529Kyb0y/supra.png
View Quote

The new Zupra pisses me off on what it could have been.  Hang on...  I'm in the OG Supra minority in that I'm fine with the turbocharged BMW I-6's potential and the ZF8 auto transmission is more awesome than stick fondlers give it credit for.  I just can't get past the smashed vagina labia folds rear-end styling and record setting number of fake vents.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:53:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The new Zupra pisses me off on what it could have been.  Hang on...  I'm in the OG Supra minority in that I'm fine with the turbocharged BMW I-6's potential and the ZF8 auto transmission is more awesome than stick fondlers give it credit for.  I just can't get past the smashed vagina labia folds rear-end styling and record setting number of fake vents.
View Quote

I just wanted to mess with you a bit but you didn't take the bait and we actually agree on everything except the tasty vagina rear end, I like the duck tail.

It isn't heritage but it's the best angle.

I call it my ZFaux.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you own a Mk IV Supra? One of my dream cars. I’d love to find an unmolested fixed roof TT 6-speed.

I know, “good luck”
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The ZF 8-speed auto is VERY good. I’m assuming it’s the same box as the ones in my previously owned Hellcats...

If that’s indeed the same transmission , I will heartily endorse it to anyone. And that’s coming from a 3 pedal junkie.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When you say sports car, describe what a sports car is to you.
View Quote

Tuna trawler.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Aerial Atom 4 with the performance package, upgraded brakes and suspension, and the aero package. Spend the other $50,000 on track time.

1400 lbs. 350 HP.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
IMO those are schweet! I don't see many of them in the wild. I understand they offer two engine sizes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/529Kyb0y/supra.png
IMO those are schweet! I don't see many of them in the wild. I understand they offer two engine sizes?

Hairdresser 4cyl and Real inline 6
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Is it weird that I would actually rather a Porsche 911 Turbo S over a GT3?  My buddy with the McLaren thinks so.   :(  My thought is that the Turbo S is a better daily driver and the GT3 is a better track weapon.  I'd rather have something that I could drive daily, you know, to show off.  :D
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is it weird that I would actually rather a Porsche 911 Turbo S over a GT3?  My buddy with the McLaren thinks so.   :(  My thought is that the Turbo S is a better daily driver and the GT3 is a better track weapon.  I'd rather have something that I could drive daily, you know, to show off.  :D
View Quote

It’s not weird. Turbos are awesome. They also attract a different buyer than a GT3. Different strokes and all that jazz...
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

A porsche 911 Turbo is going to be a fantastic grand touring car.

a 911 GT3 is a racecar
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top