Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell your gf to stop farting around with stupid mall jobs and get a full-time job at UPS.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/UPS-workers-approve-massive-new-labor-deal-with-big-raises/5-2667499/

She'll knock that debt down in a few months.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

If you can get a new card with 0% intro apr on purchases you can make things happen a little faster like this if for some reason you cant do a balance transfer.

Put all expenses on new card and make minimums, all your income goes to the high interest cards.

Again though none of this shit really helps if you cant either reign in expenses or increase income and it especially won't work if you splurge om something cause you have a 0% interest card
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My co-workers wife consolidated their debt into one payment and really helped them get them get back in the black.  

His fridge started leaking so his wife's solution was to finance a new dish washer, oven/stove and new fridge with all the bells and whistles (tv/wifi on the appliances) to the tune of about $7000.  

They got it all at Conn's so I'm sure the interest rate is hilariously bad after the initial 90 days.  I bet they'll be paying on them long after they're all broken.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#4]

What would be "level 2" of this strategy?  For the folks with several cards with $10k balances, do you somehow split your income and payments out to 3 different cards?  Or do you do it like the snowball, 1 card at a time?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I... declare... BANKRUPTCY!
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We have been together for 12 years.

I have no idea why she won't even make a few phone calls. We had a long talk tonight. My offer to help her was a last resort. I told her to first look into consolidation, but for whatever reason she is dragging her feet. She says she will look into it next week.  Yet all she talks about is how upset she is over getting into this situation. I'm trying to help. That is why I asked on here.

Don't ask me to explain women's thought processes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I used the word "crushing" in the title I meant crushing for her. In truth the amount for me is not really that high. I have seven different accounts between CDs, Savings, Retirement, checking, and investments. Only one of the seven has less than the amount that she owes.

It's $16k.

Edit to add - I offered to pay off her debt in full, and have her pay me back $500 a month for 32 months. I would loss out on the 5% interest that I'm currently earning. Not a big deal. She doesn't want to do that. She is even making excuses to not consolidate.

How serious of a couple are you?

That's very decent of you. And the amount of interest she would avoid is substantial.  

So she turned down your offer for whatever reason.  But to not consolidate and keep paying minimum amounts and accruing high interest charges?

Something is wrong here.

We have been together for 12 years.

I have no idea why she won't even make a few phone calls. We had a long talk tonight. My offer to help her was a last resort. I told her to first look into consolidation, but for whatever reason she is dragging her feet. She says she will look into it next week.  Yet all she talks about is how upset she is over getting into this situation. I'm trying to help. That is why I asked on here.

Don't ask me to explain women's thought processes.

I don't think it's a woman's thought process. You're describing how a lot of people handle debt. It's easier to ignore it than to actually address it.

Once you know what the options are, put them in excel. Prepare schedules to compare how each option will be paid off. She will probably be surprised by what a relief it is to see how it can end.

You may have to do the leg work so she can easily see the options.

Discover could probably handle the bulk of what's due in a promotional balance transfer

ETA discover will do a $20k balance transfer for 5% up front and 12 months interest free. That would be around $1,400/month for $16k. That's pretty much the same as 10% APR, probably half what she's paying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Does she have anything to sell?
Can she get a roommate?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does she have anything to sell?
View Quote

Yes, her husbands Humvee
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Johnny Mandel - Suicide Is Painless (Audio)
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Dave Ramsey.

His plan worked for my wife and I.  Massive credit card balances, auto loans, student loans, and a mortgage.  We managed to clean it all up, all while on a single income.

It took pain, focus, and determination.  

Now we own our house, property, vehicles free and clear.  It's not an arfcom mansion and 1000s of acres, nor do we drive 100,000 trucks, but it's paid clear and it's ours.

Retirement is now fully funded and I'm on track to retire next year.

She can do this, hell if I can do it, anyone can.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Have her contact Caleb Hammer on youtube. He will make her a personalized plan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have her contact Caleb Hammer on youtube. He will make her a personalized plan.
View Quote

I'll watch the video if she does it.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top