Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I answered for my undergrad (chemical engineering), now I'll add grad school...

Advanced Game Theory. It was tough to keep my head wrapped around prisoner's dilemmas, signaling without collusion, etc.

But it paid off. I actually use this material from time to time IRL.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Calc 3 - passed it the 4th time

2nd hardest: Electronics - 400 level

both contributed to BSEE degree
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Statistics
View Quote
I think any of the chemistries should have been harder but for whatever reason I did well in them. Statistics worried me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Data Structures.  Discrete Math  a distant second but even that was HAF.  C's get degrees!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
I mourn the loss of my last punchcards.  They were great bookmarks and large enough for some sidenotes.

CDC-6500 / FORTRAN 4.4.  My first official programming assignment (1976) was "Project Farmbomb."  A simple ballistic trajectory problem (launch a load of manure).
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Calculus "D" probably didn't deserve that, but it put me on a different path with less math.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Engineering hydrology and flow controls.   It was undergrad and a masters class at the same time, masters credit needed a bigger paper at the end,

I took it knowing I was biting off a chunk.   I didn’t have the prerequisite math.   My advisor loaned me additional textbooks in calculus and differential equations marking what I needed to get by.

I struggled and put a disproportionate amount of time in for those credits.   I got an A-, one of my higher grades in the higher end courses.  

No it wasn’t a requirement but at the time in my school’s Environmental Program you could write a portion of your program, they weren’t electives then per se, but a you made it a requirement yourself when you wrote and requested approval for your program.   You could use just about anything from the catalog if it fit.   I wrote a concentration on wetlands and mitigation.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Physical chemistry
Yes
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Modern Algebra, it was required for a math major.  I REALLY struggled with the math theory, I'm much more a practical, real world guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
undergrad: epistemology in the analytic tradition

grad school: quantitative analysis 1
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#11]
College dropout here. Fortunately, kids took after their Harvard grad/PhD mom.

Daughter is a junior, majoring in biochemistry/biophysics. Her toughest courses have been differential equations, orgo 1 & 2, and genetics engineering. She actually loves GE. When I asked what her favorite part was, she answered "designing recombinant plasmids."

Son is a freshman at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, majoring in cellular bio. Like a maniac, he took orgo 1 and 2 as a freshman. Struggling a little with orgo 2 this semester, but should be able to pull a C+ or B-.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
In this order:
Organic Chem 1&2
Physics 2
Calculus 2
Statics
Soil Mechanics
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Statistics
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Diff EQ and Linear Algebra.  Worthless foreign teachers were useless.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I had some tough classes that I really enjoyed like DiffEq, linear algebra, qualitative organic analysis, etc.  The hardest was probably an intro PoliSci class just because the professor absolutely sucked.  The shit on the tests had nothing to do with the book or the class discussions.  How do you prepare for that?  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Modeling & Analysis of Mechatronic Systems

Basically one professors 7 week quest to reteach a bunch of burnt out seniors statics, dynamics, kinematics, & differential equations the right way. Still glad I took it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
undergrad: epistemology in the analytic tradition

grad school: quantitative analysis 1
View Quote
Come to think of it, I disliked my epistemology course.  Some of the papers I really struggled to understand.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Diff. eq., I think it was my only C in undergrad.

Federal jurisdiction was probably the toughest in law school, but some of that was because all of the really smart kids who wanted federal clerkships were also in the class messing with the curve.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Calculus 2 or Organic Chemistry 1 or 2.

Neither were required for my major, but I did get a Chemistry minor out of it.

Calculus 2 was tough all around, while Organic burned out the memorization ability of my brain. I did better in Organic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably have to be differential equations.

Everyone else complained about thermodynamics, but I didn't really have an issue with that one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The hardest class was Feminist Perspectives in Literature.

I'll bet most guys won't trade basic training for THAT experience.
View Quote
Holy shit, that class sounds painful.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Mechanics of Deformable Solids, an Engineering class.  Class started with about 20 people.  By the time the final rolled around there were 8 or 10 of us left...everyone else bailed.  IIRC I got a  25% on the final, ended up with a B+ on the final and a B+ in the class.

This was back in the Pleistocene, though.  I'm sure kids are a lot smarter today.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
calculus 3
View Quote
This!  I said fuck it while taking Dif-E...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Javascript class.

It wasn't so much the class itself but the teacher, he had the most barebones understanding of the english language. In addition I was thrown into a group with 3 potheads which made me seriously question how they got into that class in the first place.
View Quote
OMG!  I had Physics and Chemistry labs that were hell just because you could not understand a damn word the Asian Lab Tech was saying...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Statistics for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
DiffEq2.

I'm pretty decent with actual numbers in my math but that crap was more like scratching cryptic patterns into the dirt with a dead chicken hanging from the ceiling.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Differential equations kicked my ass, but i still got my BSEE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
I had Fortran Seventy (something?)...  Fucking line numbers  This was before I was interested in computers or programming.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Calc 2
View Quote
Yeah that sucked too.  Fucking Hyperbolic Trig functions...
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Japanese language and culture.  Teacher's first job and he was trying too hard, ended up requiring something like learning 1000 Kanji in 10 weeks, on top of vocabulary and literature (mostly poetry).  Fought damn hard to get a D-.

Not required for my major, but it did fulfill my language requirement to graduate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
calculus 3
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]
For me it was Differential Equations and it was required for my major.  I think my D was a gift from the professor, and at the time was good enough to get credit for it.

You didn't ask, but for a masters degree I took a class which was Mathematical Modeling of Computer Networks 8 years later.  Turns out it was basically using differential equations and queuing theory to model computer networks.  I had to enlist the help of a neighbor with a team of theoretical physicists to figure out how to do my homework.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
calculus 3
It's just Cal 1 in 3D!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tie between discrete math and organic chem III.
View Quote
I got a D in discrete math. I went to talk to the prof, and he said he made a mistake and would change my grade.

I waited outside his office, waiting for him to get back from lunch, and his secretary told me that he had a heart attack and died.

I retook the class and got an A.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Thermo fluid dynamics and Dynamic Controls are my current headache.

Fluids is like Thermo 3
Controls is pretty much Diff Eq. 2
They both suck
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I was in business so none of them were "hard", just a massive annoyance and time sink, like much of dealing with people in business. Guess they prepared me well.

Pre-med chemistry fucking sucked though because of the homework program they used. Multiple entries entered correctly and counted wrong. Welcome to the age of elearning circa 2007
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]
undergrad almost isn't worth mentioning in terms of hardness compared to any of the grad classes.

hardest grad class: Noise in Linear Systems.  Never worked so hard to get a B.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Advanced Statistical Analysis.  When the prof said "If you aren't going to be an actuary, you're probably in the wrong class", 75% of the class dropped before the end.

The funniest one was Astronomy. The prof said "If you took this as a blow off class I have a stack of drop slips on my desk I suggest picking one up". This is was in a lecture hall sized class, never seen so many empty seats by the end of that one. Took right off into the celestial coordinate system, the line after class was hysterical. I think I got an A- if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Come to think of it, I disliked my epistemology course.  Some of the papers I really struggled to understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

epistemology is my happy place most of the time, but then there are the guys like wilfrid fucking sellars:

: An overt or covert token of "This is green" in the presence of a
green item is a Konstatierung and expresses observational knowledge if and
only if it is a manifestation of a tendency to produce overt or covert tokens of
"This is green" -- given a certain set -- if and only if a green object is being
looked at in standard conditions. Clearly on this interpretation the occurrence
of such tokens of "This is green" would be "following a rule" only in the sense
that they are instances of a uniformity, a uniformity differing from the
lightning-thunder case in that it is an acquired causal characteristic of the
language user.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I got a D in discrete math. I went to talk to the prof, and he said he made a mistake and would change my grade.

I waited outside his office, waiting for him to get back from lunch, and his secretary told me that he had a heart attack and died.

View Quote
Dayum thats nuts!   I agree with Data Structures and Discrete as the hardest I took.   I think the only guy I know with a worse story (for the student anyways) than you had kidney stones the day of the final.  Was doing great but missed it and they wouldnt let him make it up so he had to do it all over again too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anatomy and physiology

It was required and a PITA
View Quote
I was ok with A&P

some damn reason  A&P II  was just barely over the top for my memorization skills..
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The hardest class was Feminist Perspectives in Literature.

I'll bet most guys won't trade basic training for THAT experience.
YOU cannot be honest and tell me that class was required.. Seriously WTF major requires THAT.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Dayum thats nuts!   I agree with Data Structures and Discrete as the hardest I took.   I think the only guy I know with a worse story (for the student anyways) than you had kidney stones the day of the final.  Was doing great but missed it and they wouldnt let him retake Discrete so he had to do it all over again too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dayum thats nuts!   I agree with Data Structures and Discrete as the hardest I took.   I think the only guy I know with a worse story (for the student anyways) than you had kidney stones the day of the final.  Was doing great but missed it and they wouldnt let him retake Discrete so he had to do it all over again too.
I loved data structures. For some reason the grouchy old lady who taught it (who was fucking brilliant, BTW) loved me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Ecology. Fucking unholy demon spawn of stats, calculus, and biology. I found it more difficult than genetics or biochem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I remember diff EQ being hard, but I got a B.

Solid state physics sucked, but our prof. Was a drunk and our TA was a potted plant.  No, literally, the first day he pointed to a potted plant and said, "There's your TA, and it speaks better English than most TA's here."

He was getting divorced and gave no fucks.  It probably wouldn't have been too bad with a better proof.

I did have some trouble with thermodynamics 2, but that was a semester where I gave no fucks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
epistemology is my happy place most of the time, but then there are the guys like wilfrid fucking sellars:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

: An overt or covert token of "This is green" in the presence of a
green item is a Konstatierung and expresses observational knowledge if and
only if it is a manifestation of a tendency to produce overt or covert tokens of
"This is green" -- given a certain set -- if and only if a green object is being
looked at in standard conditions. Clearly on this interpretation the occurrence
of such tokens of "This is green" would be "following a rule" only in the sense
that they are instances of a uniformity, a uniformity differing from the
lightning-thunder case in that it is an acquired causal characteristic of the
language user.
You just triggered me.  

For me it was H.P. Greist and his red postbox.  Gotta run for now, or I'd find/post the statement.  But I recall a professor's margin comment "poor Greist" in a paper where I went off.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#47]
At the undergrad level I have done...

Calc 1, 2, 3, Diff EQ, Discrete Math, Stats, Finite Math

Physics 1 - 4

InO Chem 1-2

O Chem 1- 2

Anat & Phys I, I

Statics, Dynamics, and some fluid shit

A bunch of humanities

But struggled most with Comp & Lit 1, 2....since English was non native.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#48]
My undergrad was a B.A. in Bio/Chem

I only had one difficult course for Bio.  It involved a lot of math and computer comparisons of the DNA of similar species.  It was actually a grad class.  The undergrad Bio major required two courses that were also grad credit courses.

I had seven semesters or Chemistry.  I would say the year of organic was hard, but only in comparison to most undergrad courses.  P Chem was brutal.  It took everything hard from a year of inorganic, a year of organic, a year of calc, and a year of physics with calc and combined it all in one course.  I crushed it, but the effort to do so was more than any other undergrad course I had,

For the English, art, history, language, etc. courses, only two seemed difficult.
One was a lit class where the professor said nobody has earned an A in his class.  That’s why there was an open slot.  And I desperately needed an open slot when all other courses were full for another English requirement.  Challenge taken.  I got the only A plus he had ever given.  Thenother was getting an A+ in a Classics course.  It was not hard to get a C.  An A and up required brains and work.  Another unpopular major/course because of the scholarship required.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Accounting 301 and information management 201

Math classes were a joke.

Shoulda went into engineering
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Advanced Statistics, it was not required. I could have taken a fluffy environmental science class.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top