Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I can carry twice as much ammo for lil carbine for the same amount of weight. If that makes me pajama boy so be it. Every infantry engagement I’ve been in as been under 500 meters which is pretty consistent with most wars in the last 100 odd years.

.30 Carbine ball complete loaded round weighs 12.6g

.30 M2 ball round weighs 26.10g
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You seem hurt others have a differing opinion than you.
View Quote

I don't seem anything.  It's just my observations of the echo chamber and bandwagon here in GD.  I could give two shits less what people want to carry, to be honest.

Feel free to attempt to mock me further if you like, I also don't care what your opinion is of me.

Have an awesome day!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no idea what kind of jammies he wore, but a little fella named Audie Murphy from Texas wrote a book about his World War II experiences. He used all sorts of weapons but mentions carbines more often than anything else.
From his book, To Hell and Back:
"Grasping the carbine in my left hand and a grenade in my right, I step suddenly from behind the rock. The Germans spot me instantly. The gunner spins the tip of his weapon toward me. But the barrel catches in a limb, and the burst whizzes to my right. I lob the grenade and grab the carbine trigger with one movement. Before the grenade has time to burst, two krauts fall with carbine slugs in their bellies. I quickly lob two more grenades into the position; four of the eight Germans are killed; three are put out of action by wounds. The eighth, a squat, fat man, tries to escape.....I squeeze the trigger. The helmet jumps. The man falls as if struck in the head with a club."
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Somehow the XM-5 is a terrible new addition to the Army, based on weight of the weapon and ammo, but the Garand is the answer in the olden times.

Personal weapons are personal weapons. The M1 carbine is plenty for killing 95lb IJA dudes. If not, the BAR and 1919 are there to punch palmetto logs. Or arty. Or mortars. Or air cover. Or naval gun fire. Etc
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Wife's Grandfather was a 1st Div Marine that fought on Guadalcanal. He was on the first landing. He was a machine gunner.  He crewed a  M1917A1. He told me they also carried a couple of M1903 Springfield rifles with them. And grenades, all the grenades they could hoard. He said during wave attacks they threw grenades while changing belts of ammo.
He was a quiet man that served in hell. He did not talk about his service much and when he did, he didn't bull shit.

My Grandfather on my Mother's side was a Navy SeaBee with the 6th Naval Construction Battalion who was also on Guadalcanal. He was an equipment operator. And was wounded at Henderson Field. He said they had Springfield rifles and a Reising that they got from the Marines.
View Quote

I'd bet that the Marine that traded away that Reising walked away smiling.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have no idea what kind of jammies he wore, but a little fella named Audie Murphy from Texas wrote a book about his World War II experiences. He used all sorts of weapons but mentions carbines more often than anything else.
From his book, To Hell and Back:
"Grasping the carbine in my left hand and a grenade in my right, I step suddenly from behind the rock. The Germans spot me instantly. The gunner spins the tip of his weapon toward me. But the barrel catches in a limb, and the burst whizzes to my right. I lob the grenade and grab the carbine trigger with one movement. Before the grenade has time to burst, two krauts fall with carbine slugs in their bellies. I quickly lob two more grenades into the position; four of the eight Germans are killed; three are put out of action by wounds. The eighth, a squat, fat man, tries to escape.....I squeeze the trigger. The helmet jumps. The man falls as if struck in the head with a club."
View Quote

RIGHT ON

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually, fuck all your firearms, I'm going in with my trusty, tasty Ka-Bar!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Whichever one I had unlimited access to ammo for
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#11]
60mm Mortar like E.B. Sledge
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

His TO weapon as a mortar man was a carbine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I saw the actor with a Thompson at one point IIRC, but I do remember him with a carbine. No telling how accurate that was. It has been awhile since I read "With The Old Breed". I let a former Marine borrow it, and he kept it. I guess someone once stole a book from him and he was just trying to get his stuff back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I love shooting the Garand and can load it fairly quickly. My biggest holdup with it would be followups, both sight picture related and recoil. I am fairly young and have good eyes, yet still struggle at dawn/dusk to quickly find and engage a target.

I finally took an M1 carbine hog hunting with ball ammo and had a "ball". It's handy to carry, decently accurate, easy enough to reload, and I can put more rounds down range accurately in a quicker time. Also, it put down hogs fine at 100-120yd so I'm sure it would do a decent job on humans.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The one they told you to carry.  But I voted Garand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought this book from CMP:  US Infantry Weapons in Combat: Personal Experiences from World War II   Most of the people had nothing positive to say about the Carbine.
View Quote

thanks

bought the book and enjoying it

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What’s up with all the .30 carbine love?  Never shot one, but they do seem underpowered.
View Quote

Compared to Garand, the M1 carbine is underpowered.

But at 200 yards, the .30 carbine has more power than an MP-40 has at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
There is another thread with BAR love. Arfcom is weird.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Kind of a moot point I'd say, you'd carry what you were issued based on your rank and job classification What you want doesn't even enter into it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Kind of a moot point I'd say, you'd carry what you were issued based on your rank and job classification What you want doesn't even enter into it.
View Quote

Multiple books and personal conversations with veterans support the fact that Marines often used other than their T/O weapon.  I am not saying that everyone had a choice all the time, far from it. But there was definitely flexibility.
Still goes on today.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Multiple books and personal conversations with veterans support the fact that Marines often used other than their T/O weapon.  I am not saying that everyone had a choice all the time, far from it. But there was definitely flexibility.
Still goes on today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still goes on today.

There is a lot less flexibility these days. CentCOM GO1 is pretty much the standard for all Combatant Commanders now.

And know a couple of O5 and 1 E9 who have been relieved of duty for being caught with personally owned handguns and ammunition in a combat zone.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
100%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having been a Marine infantryman in the 1970's I have some idea what I would prefer. Give me a Stinger. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgecTgbz3ik&feature=youtu.be)
100%

1400 rounds a minute??? That's 23 rounds per second, not doable at that time.  I will believe 140 rpm, 2.3 rps .
Yeah, I'D carry that, even though it'd take three men and a boy just to lug the ammo, let alone the weapon!
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Of the choices, M1 Carbine. Of the weapons issued, the M1941 Johnson.
View Quote

And NEVER surrender that weapon! "Don't touch my Johnson!"
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have read that their life expectancy was four minutes in the Pacific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flamethrower. I'd probably die regardless, but I haven't shot a flamethrower and I want to do so at least once before I die...

All special weapons were subject to special attention from snipers. I'm guessing that radiomen got some extra lovin'; the ability to call down incandescent retribution deserves the attention.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All special weapons were subject to special attention from snipers. I'm guessing that radiomen got some extra lovin'; the ability to call down incandescent retribution deserves the attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flamethrower. I'd probably die regardless, but I haven't shot a flamethrower and I want to do so at least once before I die...

The only really interesting episode of that Red Jacket Firearms show was the one where they built up a bunker and had that old WWII USMC Medal of Honor winner come out and hose the bunker. I get a smile on my face every time I think of it. That old man could still do some work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only really interesting episode of that Red Jacket Firearms show was the one where they built up a bunker and had that old WWII USMC Medal of Honor winner come out and hose the bunker. I get a smile on my face every time I think of it. That old man could still do some work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woody was a hell of a man, I’m glad he made it to see the commissioning of his name sake the ESB4

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am VERY partial to the M1 Garand, but I picked the Thompson for the Pacific.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]
same thing I carried in VN
1911 and M1 Carbine
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://img.betaseries.com/TVNCFskfiBLYCRR3SrEljzpogdM=/380x191/smart/https%3A%2F%2Fpictures.betaseries.com%2Fbanners%2Fepisodes%2F209361%2F3515951.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://img.betaseries.com/TVNCFskfiBLYCRR3SrEljzpogdM=/380x191/smart/https%3A%2F%2Fpictures.betaseries.com%2Fbanners%2Fepisodes%2F209361%2F3515951.jpg

Will: It’s 70 lbs.
Woody Williams: “I don’t care if it’s 70 lbs, I want to work it!”
Sons of Guns - Flamethrower Hero
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#31]
an/m2 stinger
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NvMyjZrLA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NvMyjZrLA

What a badass. He even rolled the flame into the aperture instead of aiming directly at it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#33]

*Laughs in Audie Murphy*

Carbine for me, or a shotgun provided ammo isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If the Garand was good enough for my grandfather (the Marine looking at the camera) it would have been good enough for me

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76238/D984D898-C710-4D93-9DF8-2649ABB01756_png-2781152.JPG
View Quote

What cart are they pulling? Was he in a commo section
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the Garand was good enough for my grandfather (the Marine looking at the camera) it would have been good enough for me

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76238/D984D898-C710-4D93-9DF8-2649ABB01756_png-2781152.JPG

M1942 Marine Corps cart quite likely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Compared to Garand, the M1 carbine is underpowered.

But at 200 yards, the .30 carbine has more power than an MP-40 has at the muzzle.
View Quote

To be fair, isn't the mp40 considered to max out at 100 yards?  

I'd go carbine as well.   2 mags strapped to the stock, as many as I could carry on the belt and pockets along with lots of grenades.   When the banzai attack comes, you will be shooting in the dark at short range.  That's where the 20 round mags shine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1400 rounds a minute??? That's 23 rounds per second, not doable at that time.  I will believe 140 rpm, 2.3 rps .
Yeah, I'D carry that, even though it'd take three men and a boy just to lug the ammo, let alone the weapon!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having been a Marine infantryman in the 1970's I have some idea what I would prefer. Give me a Stinger. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgecTgbz3ik&feature=youtu.be)
100%

1400 is correct.   IIRC it was 600 or so RPM standard so they lightened the bolt and made other changes to double the rate of fire.  mg 42 was 1200.    The army liked lower rates of fire to preserve the barrels, ammo and heat management.   The guys in the pacific didn't give a shit about any of that other than rate of fire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Garand for me.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Thompson
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it was. AN/M2 .30 cal had a cyclic rate of fire of around 1000 to 1350 rpm (other sources say up to 1500):

https://www.liberatorcrew.com/15_Gunnery/02_30cal.htm

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woody was a hell of a man, I’m glad he made it to see the commissioning of his name sake the ESB4

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56596/IMG_2941_jpeg-2800176.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56596/60528926592__EFD52516-24B8-4F32-B197-EA2-2800186.JPG

Is that Sen. Joe Manchin huddled over like a bitch while the old lady on the right seems to be just fine?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is that Sen. Joe Manchin huddled over like a bitch while the old lady on the right seems to be just fine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56596/IMG_2941_jpeg-2800176.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56596/60528926592__EFD52516-24B8-4F32-B197-EA2-2800186.JPG

Yes
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Johnson or a Thompson

Or a late war M3 Carbine
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#44]
What’s the holdover, on a Thompson with 230g FMJ ammo at 200 yards?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#45]
A big Johnson
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What weapon would you carry in the Pacific as an infantry US Marine in WWII if you were able to choose?
View Quote
I will take this time to suggest that if you do something that allows for it.. listen to Hardcore History's Supernova in the East.  Absolutely fantastic telling of the war in the Pacific from before the invasion of China.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
M1 carbine and a 1911 and as many magazines and grenades as I could possibly carry… because 100° heat, malaria and starving yet still quick and motivated japs

A Thompson would be the first auto I would buy today but only for nostalgia
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What’s up with all the .30 carbine love?  Never shot one, but they do seem underpowered.
View Quote

The Japanese were small and half starved.

15-rounds instead of 8. Lighter weight. More compact. Disease and heat casualties were as dangerous as the Japanese.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#49]
BAR
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My dad carried a M-1 Carbine in Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa.  He carried 6 magazines + the one in the weapon.  Made it all the way pretty much without a scratch.  He used it the most during the Banzai charges on Saipan.  He was with the 4th Battalion/ 10th Marines. 2nd Marine Division.
That would be my choice.

He later on carried a 1911 on Tinian, Okinawa and with the occupation forces in Nagasaki right after they dropped the A- bomb there. Even though he carried it he was very cautious with it.  He said he saw more ND's with the 1911 than any other weapon.
View Quote
We need a thread about you Father and any stories he has written, told, or passed down in any way.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top