BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be bad.

Though not as bad as if someone had blown it up. Then the remains would come crashing down to Earth in a 5,000 year long barrage.
View Quote

You might call it a Hard Rain?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The moon stabilizes the tilt of the earth.  Without it, over time we could flop around ah la Guam.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Sun would be responsible for earths tides so they wouldn’t be as strong.

Moon help pulls the earth on its axis so that be a problem.

Earth would spin faster

Marine life would die
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
We literally would die.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1) Extreme high tide permanently
2) Pitch black nights.
View Quote
Wouldn't the tides just sort of even out? So the ocean would just remain at a constant level, worldwide, mathematically speaking it should be right between high tide and low tide?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's how you get Ookla the Moc.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Thundarr the Barbarian Opening Closing and Theme Song

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Say a large asteroid strike 'sploded it. And the pieces sailed away from earth, not toward it.

What would be the result? Mass hysteria? Dogs and cats living together? 35 foot long Twinkies? What?
View Quote

It wouldn’t happen that way, chunks of the moon would hit the earth and it would probably be a extinction level event.  But even I say humanity somehow survived it would mess up the tides as well the earth would “wobble” and most of what is habitatitable now would not be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a documentary about it

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The Minions would be thrilled.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It rotates once a month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why doesn't it rotate? Because it's a spaceship inside

It rotates once a month.

The moon orbits the Earth once every 27.322 days. It also takes approximately 27 days for the moon to rotate once on its axis. As a result, the moon does not seem to be spinning but appears to observers from Earth to be keeping almost perfectly still. Scientists call this synchronous rotation.

The side of the moon that perpetually faces Earth is known as the near side. The opposite or "back" side is the far side. Sometimes the far side is called the dark side of the moon, but this is inaccurate. When the moon is between the Earth and the sun, during one of the moon phases called the new moon, the back side of the moon is bathed in daylight.

Must be to create gravity inside the spaceship
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
It would not be good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
tides and currents would cease being a thing. over time that would likely mean mass extinctions in the ocean, eventually leading to really big problems for humans.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
@collector_rob

Beat me to it!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The moon stabilizes the tilt of the earth.  Without it, over time we could flop around ah la Guam.
View Quote

Then we're gonna need ALL the Marines to stand over on one side.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Thundercats! Ho!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Earth and Moon are much more like a binary planet system than a planet with a satellite. The moon is nearly 1/4 the mass of Earth. That's huge for a moon.
View Quote

The Moon is approximately 2% of the Earth’s mass. Not sure where you got your numbers, but check again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The lunar variant will become the leading variant 'till election day
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Moon is approximately 2% of the Earth’s mass. Not sure where you got your numbers, but check again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Earth and Moon are much more like a binary planet system than a planet with a satellite. The moon is nearly 1/4 the mass of Earth. That's huge for a moon.

He’s probably thinking of the 1/6th gravity (due to both mass and radius).
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Ocean tides = GONE!

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every story would begin with:  “It was a dark, moonless night….”
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct sir, mea culpa. I meant size, not mass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#22]
The Earth's orbit would destabilize and Earth would migrate out to circle Uranus.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyway, the moon is a remnant of a collision between Earth and a roughly Mars size planetary mass that collided around the same time as the Late Heavy Bombardment. In that collision the Earth got super-enriched with a bunch of heavy elements like the trans-uranics Thorium and Uranium and plain heavy elements like Iron. The light silicates and stuff all coalesced into the moon. That's why there's so little useful shit there; it's just a big ball of cosmic gravitationally sintered ashtray sand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]
The decay heat from that all thorium and uranium and all the extra iron is where we get the tectonic and magnetic flux that keeps the planet alive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why doesn't it rotate? Because it's a spaceship inside
View Quote

It does rotate once every 29.5 days
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Earth is an EXTREMELY odd planet. Literally you could have a planet formed exactly like earth at the same distance from an identical star to Sol and without that wildly unusual collision that almost doubles the metallicity so you get lots of tectonic flux and magnetic dynamism, it won't work like Earth.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The center of gravity of an object remains in the same place if it splits apart.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Earth also just happens to be about in the single most ideal observation point of anywhere in the entire universe to observe the totallity of the cosmic history as far as we can tell, overall. There are certainly places where if we were there we could see certain parts of cosmic history better, but no where we can see where you can see more of it in total at the same time than where we are now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The center of gravity of an object remains in the same place if it splits apart.
View Quote

If they are connected still by gravity or string.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
The earth would eventually die.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Our atmosphere would gradually have an increase in helium and hydrogen.  The tides would gradually diminish.  I don't know how much the tides affect water at the poles but I suspect the sloshing effect would decrease and equater sea level would rise and polar sea level would drop.  

With a loss of tides, the surface of the ocean would heat up much more causing greater hurricanes.  The increased sea heat would increase overall moisture in the atmosphere causing increased winter snows across the globe, possibly an advance in glaciers.  Increased ocean heat would affect sea life across the globe at all depths.

I dont think the tectonic activity would decrease/increase in humanities timeline.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our atmosphere would gradually have an increase in helium and hydrogen.  The tides would gradually diminish.  I don't know how much the tides affect water at the poles but I suspect the sloshing effect would decrease and equater sea level would rise and polar sea level would drop.  

With a loss of tides, the surface of the ocean would heat up much more causing greater hurricanes.  The increased sea heat would increase overall moisture in the atmosphere causing increased winter snows across the globe, possibly an advance in glaciers.  Increased ocean heat would affect sea life across the globe at all depths.

I don't think the tectonic activity would decrease/increase in humanities timeline.
View Quote
Helium? What does the moon have to do with helium? We get it from alpha decay of thorium and uranium here. It is too light to be retained by 1g, so it is lost at a constant rate once it reaches the atmosphere. It is the second most abundant element in the universe, but not on Earth. It must needs be free to roam the vast depths of space, the final frontier.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ocean tides = GONE!

View Quote
Charlie Everybody don't surf.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Giant moon chunks, tied in our gravity well....65 million year ago extinction event x 87,000,000.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Think of all the song lyrics that would have to be rewritten too!

Like, take "Aquarius" for example:

"When the Moon is in the Seventh House."

SHIT!

"When...fuck, I don't know...is in the Seventh House."

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Helium? What does the moon have to do with helium? We get it from alpha decay of thorium and uranium here. It is too light to be retained by 1g, so it is lost at a constant rate once it reaches the atmosphere. It is the second most abundant element in the universe, but not on Earth. It must needs be free to roam the vast depths of space, the final frontier.
View Quote

And just like that.  My high school lesson from 25 years makes more sense.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#37]
People would stop acting crazy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It would be tectonic.
View Quote

What would a lack of moons do to the plates.
Does it keep them in check, or is it was causes them to move more?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Someone watched Moon Fall this weekend.

(So did I )
View Quote

So did I.  I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#40]
1. near elimination of tidal forces
2. earth's rotation would speed up = shorter days = more days per year
3. earth's axis tilt would have greater variance leading to MUCH great weather inconsistency = Democrats would get more money for "climate change"
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#42]
nothing a fourth booster shot couldn't fix
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#43]
So it begins.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#44]
One of the best Ancient Aliens episodes was about the moon.

It is hollow.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Another song that would need a re-write:

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore!"

Now, we need, what, a fucking asteroid to hit your eye or some other shit I guess.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One of the best Ancient Aliens episodes was about the moon.

It is hollow.
View Quote

No offense but I think the heads of the producers of "Ancient Aliens" are hollow too.

Well just sayin.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I saw this movie. Bruce Willis, Superman and Bezos farm asteroids and place them into Earth's orbit where they all get glued together by OnlyFans subscribers. Occasionally, we drop an asteroid into the Pacific to keep the waves moving and the Godzilla population down.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Say a large asteroid strike 'sploded it. And the pieces sailed away from earth, not toward it.

What would be the result? Mass hysteria? Dogs and cats living together? 35 foot long Twinkies? What?
View Quote

End of life. Really!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks. Many people do not have a clear grasp of the difference between adsorption and absorption. The latter when it's actually internally part of the solvent molecule, like salt in water. Adsorption is when it's just kind of sticking because it's sort of clingy. That what activated carbon filtration does. Stuff just sticks to it because of the huge amount of fuzzy surface area, like the carbon is knit socks and the filtrates are stick-tite seeds. It's not actually reacting with carbon at some ionic level and forming new carbon compounds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#50]

I cum to post this also.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top