Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/13/2019 3:47:20 PM EDT
... being "on the spectrum"? Aren't they either autistic or not? Is "on the spectrum" just a euphemism to make mommies feel better? I understand there are different degrees of autism, so maybe that's what the "spectrum" is about. There are degrees of the common cold, too, so if your kid has a cold, is he "on the cold spectrum"?

I'm not being rude or insensitive ... I'm just reacting to the double-talk and feel-good language we seem to have to have these days. I never heard the phrase "on the spectrum" until about a year ago, so is it a change in the disorder or just a change in terminology?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
As soon as every kid started to be autistic.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
When they started giving vaccines to 6mo babies
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Holy shit, antivaxxers actually exist? I thought you all were just a shitty internet meme
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
We are all on the spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
iirc, the definition in the DSM changed because autism is manifested "on a spectrum" and isn't binary like "you're infected with rhinovirus" or "you're not infected with rhinovirus"

It's not feel-good, it's a more accurate description of autism, because many people are "autistic" but wholly functional, while others are cripplingly autistic
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
It's one in the same.  Saying "on the spectrum" just implies (rightly so) that there are many levels of functioning with autism.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The last DSM had several diagnoses, including Autism, Asperger's, Rett's Disorder, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder and PDD-NOS (Has the symptoms of one or more of the other diagnoses but doesn't meet the criteria for any of them).

DSM-V acknowledges that Autism manifests on a spectrum so they changed the diagnosis to "Autism Spectrum Disorder" with severity levels 1-3, with three being the most severe.  This diagnosis includes the former diagnoses of Autism, Asperger's and PDD-NOS.  Rett's Syndrome was moved to a different category and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder no longer exists.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Twelve out of every ten children in America are "on the spectrum."
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
iirc, the definition in the DSM changed because autism is manifested "on a spectrum" and isn't binary like "you're infected with rhinovirus" or "you're not infected with rhinovirus"

It's not feel-good, it's a more accurate description of autism, because many people are "autistic" but wholly functional, while others are cripplingly autistic
View Quote
Bullllllllllllllllshit.

It's because the fucking range of points you can hit that are autistic are the full spectrum of a god damned rainbow. Every Suzy Soccer mom needs a reason why their kid is licking windows. So now if you need 5 points but only have 3 you are on spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems legit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
When did people stop dying of old age?

The more we understand about medical science the more specialized the diagnosis becomes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just where on that spectrum we individually fall on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was last year brother.

Now it's thirteen out of every ten

I have a nephew who is autistic, and my sister is a fucking saint. No idea how she didn't pull her hair out years ago. It's been a hard journey, that's for sure.

These days, I'm wondering how many total kids are "on the spectrum" mainly for that sweet sweet SSI money (I know of two).
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Holy shit, antivaxxers actually exist? I thought you all were just a shitty internet meme
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me ask you, how many vaccines are you willing to take? Watch a regular news channel and watch all the BigPharma ads on vax. You would be a pin cushion if you took all the recommended vaccines.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#18]
When the doctors had parents saying "My child has various colors of light shining out of their ass!  What does it mean?"  Then the doctors said "Your child is on the spectrum."
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Meh. A percentage of the population is vaccine sensitive, mostly allergic to the additives and binders in vaccines. Im one of those people. I have to read the data sheets on most vaccines before I sign on. If the reaction signs mirror my past severe reactions, I usually decline. A vaccine I got in 1985 damn near destroyed my immune system. I luckily had a very good doc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#20]
When everyone wanted to get in on the autism victim train.

You need varying degrees of autism so everyone can join the fun.

I've only got 5% of the tisms but I still struggle so make special allowances for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
When the industry realized they needed more kids that required their professional help, in order to get the big Benz with the deluxe leather seats.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When everyone wanted to get in on the autism victim train.

You need varying degrees of autism so everyone can join the fun.

I've only got 5% of the tisms but I still struggle so make special allowances for me.
View Quote
IME, it's mostly moms who want excuses for why "My prince AAAAAYYYYYYDDDEEENNNNNNNNNN needs special treatment!!!!!  Don't tell me my kid is undisciplined, he's ON THE SPECTRUM, a pediatrician said so."

Half the kids I've seen with "autism" have actual issues, the other half are undisciplined little shits whose Mom wants Special-Needs Parent Victim Status: Achievement unlocked.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a way to explain quirks or parental failures away for many without truly insulting the families that deal with it. True autism is devastating to a family. I know first hand.

It's the same thing as people who self-diagnose themselves with OCD. It's easier to tell people, "Don't do that. I'm OCD!", than to explain to people, "I need to get my way all the time because I'm a whiney little bitch....so appease me."
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let me ask you, how many vaccines are you willing to take? Watch a regular news channel and watch all the BigPharma ads on vax. You would be a pin cushion if you took all the recommended vaccines.
View Quote
LOL, I was in the Army for 22 years then worked for the CDC for 10.  I filled up three shot records (the yellow books).  No autism and never even turned into a newt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As soon as every kid started to be autistic.
View Quote
first post.

as soon as every kid needed to be assigned a label as an excuse for one of many issues.
those issues required additions and those additions needed to "specials and feelz"
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL, I was in the Army for 22 years then worked for the CDC for 10.  I filled up three shot records (the yellow books).  No autism and never even turned into a newt.
View Quote
Are you saying vaccines may have different effects on fully developed adults and young, developing children?

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#28]
When schools realized they can get more funding by having more "special" kids.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Little Johnny isn’t stupid, he’s just on the spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Little Johnny isn’t stupid, he’s just on the spectrum.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
As a former mental health professional, ‘autism’ is a massively over diagnosed sham. In my experience, half the kids we worked with that were labeled ‘autistic’ were not at all. Just shit parenting and unchecked bad behavior and other factors coming together to make a ‘syndrome’. The vast overdiagnosis is a disservice to the children who really are born with autism.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Make the category so big, like climate change, and you can put whatever you want on the spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
As the parent of an autistic and epileptic 20 year old who is never gonna be able to live on his own, I'd like to give a big friendly "fuck you" to everyone who thinks the autism spectrum isn't a thing.

That is all.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As the parent of an autistic and epileptic 20 year old who is never gonna be able to live on his own, I'd like to give a big friendly "fuck you" to everyone who thinks the autism spectrum isn't a thing.

That is all.

View Quote
Misplaced anger. It was never “not a thing”, just abused and overused by folks with an agenda. Save your “fuck yous” for the right folks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Like many things, it is complicated.  A change in the understanding of autism and what it exactly means is driving a larger portion of kids to be diagnosed with the disorder.  This can mean anything from mild impacts and still able to function in society to completely unable to care for themselves.  Add in some financial incentives for people to get their kids diagnosed, and it creates a mess.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Not everyone displays the full range or severity  of autism signs just like not all people with Tourettes display the full range of severity/signs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Puts me in mind of a quote.  I think it was Mark Twain who said: "Everybody is equally ignorant, just on different things."
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ve never seen an anti-vaxxer provide any evidence that comes from a medical doctor.
I’ve never actually looked myself though. It’s always just twists in logic, just like flat earthers. It could sound right if you have zero knowledge on the subject, but to everyone else they look like fucking retards.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's one in the same.  Saying "on the spectrum" just implies (rightly so) that there are many levels of functioning with autism.
View Quote
Yes, but there are many levels of cancer, too ... even within specific types of cancer (Stage 2, Stage 4, etc.). And the same can be said of many conditions and diseases. Yet you hear that terminology only with autism.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is all.

View Quote
if you look past your emotions, and actually read, you'd see that we don't disbelieve in the autism spectrum, we just see it being over-diagnosed.

Best wishes for your son and your family.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
The euphemism and all the other feel-good language were thrust into usage when the doctors and other associated semi-professionals discovered there was government money to pay for treatment.   All of a sudden, everyone was on the spectrum.

When I was working (presently retired), every engineer I worked with had the symptoms of being "on the spectrum."

Are you good at math?   On the spectrum

Are there co-workers you prefer not to deal with?   On the spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol. Was in boot during the Vietnam War, and I got 23 (or was it 26?) shots in one fell swoop ... we had to get vaccinated for every fucking tropical disease in the book because Vietnam. No autism here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Everything becomes pejorative eventually and people insist on changing the nomenclature to avoid hurting people's feelings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Where are all the Autistic senior citizens? Where are the middle aged Autists?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
That right there is a good question.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have you seen some of the shit boomers post here?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll take all of them. I tell my doctor every time he gives me a shot to go ahead and give me anything else he can.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im just realizing Ive never seen someone with "autism" who was older than early 20's. They all get locked in a group home when they get kicked off their parents insurance at 27?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top