Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/21/2021 9:21:40 AM EDT
Reading the 357 Sig Return Thread has me interested in getting into a hot 9mm round for giggles.

I’d be handloading from the start so factory ammo availability and cost are irrelevant, but new or once fired brass being unobtainable would make it a nonstarter. I’d also like to stay with the 9mm sized case head for compatibility with my Dillon 650 reloading bits.

So, what should I go with? 38 Super, 38 Super Comp (what’s the difference?), one of the 9x20something offerings, .356 TSC. The last one sounds interesting but had honestly never heard of it until yesterday.

I’d like to use this in a 9mm 1911 I have with just a barrel and recoil spring change or a G17.4 with just a barrel/spring change. Also have an extra PF940V2 frame and LPK laying around, so a G34 or 17L populated slide could also be fun and give it all the barrel I can to get max velocity.

This would only be for goofing around and maybe gun games, so carryability or hunting aren’t factors.  

So what would you do?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
9x23 Winchester if you want straight wall case with factory ammo for self defense. Same as the comp and without the rim of 38 super and stronger case. Lighter bullets its equal to 357 mag.

9x23 Dillon is necked down 10mm
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
L7A1
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using 9mm +P+ Federal 9BPLE 115. Its a street proven stone dead killer, used by numerous agencies because it works.  

9mm +P+ Federal 9BPLE 115 gr Gel Test
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
After a ton of research I settled on Liberty  Civil defense +P. It's also a bonus carrying 3 mags all day. However if you have a muzzle brake it will not function.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Reading the 357 Sig Return Thread has me interested in getting into a hot 9mm round for giggles.

I’d be handloading from the start so factory ammo availability and cost are irrelevant, but new or once fired brass being unobtainable would make it a nonstarter. I’d also like to stay with the 9mm sized case head for compatibility with my Dillon 650 reloading bits.

So, what should I go with? 38 Super, 38 Super Comp (what’s the difference?), one of the 9x20something offerings, .356 TSC. The last one sounds interesting but had honestly never heard of it until yesterday.

I’d like to use this in a 9mm 1911 I have with just a barrel and recoil spring change or a G17.4 with just a barrel/spring change. Also have an extra PF940V2 frame and LPK laying around, so a G34 or 17L populated slide could also be fun and give it all the barrel I can to get max velocity.

This would only be for goofing around and maybe gun games, so carryability or hunting aren’t factors.  

So what would you do?
View Quote

Honestly? Stick with the easiest solution and look at some of Lehigh’s bullets for some that meets your needs. Super fast and light or wayyyy over penetrating and they don’t get plugged up with glass or clothing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Roll your own.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly? Stick with the easiest solution and look at some of Lehigh’s bullets for some that meets your needs. Super fast and light or wayyyy over penetrating and they don’t get plugged up with glass or clothing.
View Quote

Something to consider is that bullets are designed to work in a target velocity window and pushing something meant to work at 1000-1300fps to 2000+ will probably not give the terminal effects you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
For the 9mm Parabellum, try the Hornady 115 grain XTP together with 6.7 grains of Power Pistol.  The cartridge overall length is 1.075".

From a 5 inch barrel you will see close to 1300 fps.

This is a maximum load so use this data with discretion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
38 Super Comp is a heavy duty rimless 38 Super.   Makes feeding more reliable than the semi rimmed 38 Super.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I like 38 Super it’ll do anything I want in a pistol it’s classy and has tons of potential on the reloading bench there’s also quite a bit of factory ammunition available. Buffalo Bore, Corbon, Double Tap, Federal, PMC, Remington, SigSauer, Underwood, Wilson Combat and Winchester all load factory ammo for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Super Comp is better than standard .38 super, the case doesn't have a rim and is tapered and feeds better from magazines.

The rim is barely there, and modern .38 Super should headspace off the case mouth, but the slight rim can still be wonky from the mags.

Most people using either cartridge are shooting open guns in USPSA and a lot of people have switched to +p loads of 9mm.

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Would magazines be a limiting factor for the Glock with the longer cartridges?

You could try reloading to replicate the military's M1152 115gr FMJ. It's pretty hot and shoots great in my 9mm 1911 and Glocks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Super Comp is better than standard .38 super, the case doesn't have a rim and is tapered and feeds better from magazines.

The rim is barely there, and modern .38 Super should headspace off the case mouth, but the slight rim can still be wonky from the mags.

Most people using either cartridge are shooting open guns in USPSA and a lot of people have switched to +p loads of 9mm.

View Quote

38 Super comp is still straight with no taper the rim is the only difference.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Underwood.

That shit is hot and Ive heard/seen really good thing regarding wood channels and penetration.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been using 9mm +P+ Federal 9BPLE 115. Its a street proven stone dead killer, used by numerous agencies because it works.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iiaXoRaRY
View Quote

While 9bple is fine there are better options now.

Op whatever you choose try and find well tested and respected projectiles in them and use them in the velocity ranges they specify. The hornady xtp is known to not like to be pushed too fast.

Id look at using 357magnum bullets swaged down or 357sig projectiles.

Pushing a standard 9mm jhp that fast will make it perform poorly.

I still love 38super and 9x23win a lot and want a 9x23 1911 for a hotrod carry singlestack.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like some clarification is in order. Not looking for a hot 9x19 factory ammo or projectile recommendations for self defense, but for advice on an entirely different, bigger/faster, cartridge which still uses .355-.356” projectiles.

I’d like it to use the same 9mm case head, so I can just swap in a barrel and maybe recoil spring on a 9mm 1911 or G17, or at least be able to use the 9mm 1911 or G17 frame with a couple lug and play slide/barrel/recoil spring combo.

Sounds like 9x25 Dillon uses the 10mm/.40SW case head, but can it be loaded to an OAL to fit in a G17 magwell?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
9X23 is pretty much the apex, in a 1911, if you're looking to get fancy, and don't want a 10mm or 9 X 25.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Something to consider is that bullets are designed to work in a target velocity window and pushing something meant to work at 1000-1300fps to 2000+ will probably not give the terminal effects you are looking for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While generally true, I believe he’s referring to Lehigh’s monolithic non-expanding bullets:

These would not have the same velocity window that would otherwise cause a JHP to over-expand and under-penetrate. More velocity just means more “fluid transfer” energy, at least in theory
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#20]
A 1911 in 9mm is a damn shame.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like some clarification is in order. Not looking for a hot 9x19 factory ammo or projectile recommendations for self defense, for advice on an entirely different, bigger/faster, cartridge which still uses .355-.356” projectiles.

I’d like it to use the same 9mm case head, so I can just swap in a barrel and maybe recoil spring on a 9mm 1911 or G17, or at least be able to use the 9mm 1911 or G17 frame with a couple lug and play slide/barrel/recoil spring combo.

Sounds like 9x25 Dillon uses the 10mm/.40SW case head, but can it be loaded to an OAL to fit in a G17 magwell?
View Quote

9x25 Dillon cannot be loaded short enough to fit in a small-frame pistol.

Rounds that will only work in a 1911 are 9x23, 38 Super Comp (more modern version of 38 Super), and 9x25 Dillon (will have reduced capacity and requires different magazines due to 10mm case diameter). Rounds that have the same overall length as the standard 9x19 are 9x21, 356TSW, and 960 Rowland
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A 1911 in 9mm is a damn shame.
View Quote

Finally got bit by the 1911 bug in mid-2020 and I wasn’t going to pay stupid prices. Got the 9mm Kimber from a buddy who was consolidating and sold it to me at a normal price. Another friend let me borrow a half a dozen different .45 1911s, and I loved the Springfield TRP Operator, but refuse to pay current asking prices for what will basically be a range toy.

When things return to something resembling normal I’ll pick one up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Rounds that will only work in a 1911 are 9x23, 38 Super Comp (more modern version of 38 Super), and 9x25 Dillon (will have reduced capacity and requires different magazines due to 10mm case diameter). Rounds that have the same overall length as the standard 9x19 are 9x21, 356TSW, and 960 Rowland
View Quote

Thank you! That helped clarify a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn't fit in Glock magazines, but what if  I told  you it would run through a Glock replacement frame with metal magazines and a fairly stock Glock top end?

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I have some of the Underwood 68gr. +P XD's at like 1800fps. Stuff seems pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It doesn't fit in Glock magazines, but what if  I told  you it would run through a Glock replacement frame with metal magazines and a fairly stock Glock top end?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you’re referring to the individual who made a FrankenGlock G19 chambered in 45ACP with a P80 frame and Para Ordnance magazines, yes technically that is feasible. But that’s not what the OP’s question was about
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Most people using either cartridge are shooting open guns in USPSA and a lot of people have switched to +p loads of 9mm major.

View Quote
FIFY. 9mm major generally is hotter than +P.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people using either cartridge are shooting open guns in USPSA and a lot of people have switched to +p loads of 9mm major.

I’ve not played with it any but is it generally safe in standard guns? It’s more like +p+ isn’t it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’ve not played with it any but is it generally safe in standard guns? It’s more like +p+ isn’t it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s more like +P+++:

Typical 9mm ammunition is loaded to SAAMI specifications of approximately 32,000 PSI chamber pressure which results in a velocity between 850 and 1200 FPS depending on the weight of the projectile.  9mm Major ammunition is loaded much, much hotter – typical velocity for a 115gr projectile exceeds 1,550 FPS in order to reach a power factor of 165…Typical 9mm loads range from 3 to 4.5 grains of powder while many Major loads exceed 7.5 to 8 grains of powder, resulting in pressures WELL above the SAAMI limit for 9mm.  Most handguns caution against the use of “+P” and “+P+” ammunition – 9mm Major loads can generate pressures above +P+ making them unsafe for most off the shelf pistols.

https://fenixammo.com/blogs/news/what-the-john-wick-is-9mm-major-anyway

You can generally get away with firing some 9mm Major in a pistol that you know damn well is rated for +P+ loads, but be aware if something does explode and the manufacturer finds out you were shooting Major ammo you can kiss any warranty claim goodbye. Most mid- to upper-tier 1911 barrels chambered in 9mm are safe to shoot Major with, but be sure the chamber fully supports the case. And still it’s recommended that you shoot it sparingly unless it’s a dedicated comped Open gun.

The other issue is most 9mm Major ammo is “loaded long” for better feeding in a 1911/2011, and a lot of it won’t chamber fully in a standard 9mm chamber
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It’s more like +P+++:

You can generally get away with firing some 9mm Major in a pistol that you know damn well is rated for +P+ loads, but be aware if something does explode and the manufacturer finds out you were shooting Major ammo you can kiss any warranty claim goodbye. Most mid- to upper-tier 1911 barrels chambered in 9mm are safe to shoot Major with, but be sure the chamber fully supports the case. And still it’s recommended that you shoot it sparingly unless it’s a dedicated comped Open gun.

The other issue is most 9mm Major ammo is “loaded long” for better feeding in a 1911/2011, and a lot of it won’t chamber fully in a standard 9mm chamber
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s more like +P+++:

Typical 9mm ammunition is loaded to SAAMI specifications of approximately 32,000 PSI chamber pressure which results in a velocity between 850 and 1200 FPS depending on the weight of the projectile.  9mm Major ammunition is loaded much, much hotter – typical velocity for a 115gr projectile exceeds 1,550 FPS in order to reach a power factor of 165…Typical 9mm loads range from 3 to 4.5 grains of powder while many Major loads exceed 7.5 to 8 grains of powder, resulting in pressures WELL above the SAAMI limit for 9mm.  Most handguns caution against the use of “+P” and “+P+” ammunition – 9mm Major loads can generate pressures above +P+ making them unsafe for most off the shelf pistols.

Thanks for the info I think I’ll stick with super haha.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is relevant unto mine interests.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Edited the title to reflect the desire for input on cartridges using .355” projectiles vice just hot 9x19 ammo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
9x23 Winchester if you want straight wall case with factory ammo for self defense. Same as the comp and without the rim of 38 super and stronger case. Lighter bullets its equal to 357 mag.

9x23 Dillon is necked down 10mm
View Quote

That'd probably be my choice.  I've never reloaded bottlenecked pistol cartridges but I can't imagine it's any fun and haven't heard much to recommend it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been using the Underwood 124 grain as carry ammo in my LW Commander. Good stuff.

Underwood .38 Super 124 gr. bonded ammo

The 115 gr. Buffalo Bore is no slouch either.

Buffalo Bore 115 gr. 1450 FPS
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you’re referring to the individual who made a FrankenGlock G19 chambered in 45ACP with a P80 frame and Para Ordnance magazines, yes technically that is feasible. But that’s not what the OP’s question was about
View Quote

There are now several interesting combinations floating around, including 10mm's and a 38 Super.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For the 9mm Parabellum, try the Hornady 115 grain XTP together with 6.7 grains of Power Pistol.  The cartridge overall length is 1.075".

From a 5 inch barrel you will see close to 1300 fps.

This is a maximum load so use this data with discretion.
View Quote

Also be sure to wear sunglasses, as the muzzle flash will be bright!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There are now several interesting combinations floating around, including 10mm's and a 38 Super.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not what OP’s question was about
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Looking for sorta kinda turn key cartridge change in the way of slide, barrel, recoil spring, and/or mags….but not a total Frankenbuild.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what would you do?

Are those screwdriver bullets safe to shoot out of a stock Glock barrel?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have some of the Underwood 68gr. +P XD's at like 1800fps. Stuff seems pretty nasty.
View Quote

Reminds me of the Aguila IQ ammo from back in the day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what would you do?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Correct. Looking for sorta kinda turn key cartridge change in the way of slide, barrel, recoil spring, and/or mags….but not a total Frankenbuild.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not give 9mm Major a shot? Maybe get a ported barrel or compensator to make the most of it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are going to limit yourself to the maximum length of the Glock magazine, there really is no reason to anything but the standard 9x19 case.  Use a brass with a specific headstamp for load segregation, find a load intended for that OAL and bang away.

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you are going to limit yourself to the maximum length of the Glock magazine, there really is no reason to anything but the standard 9x19 case.  Use a brass with a specific headstamp for load segregation, find a load intended for that OAL and bang away.

View Quote

356 TSW is pretty cool but good luck finding ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#46]
OP, it is the .356 TSW, not the TSC.

The .356 TSW is a much better option, frankly. It is a cartridge with the overall length of 9x19mm, but since it is a longer case. It can replicate the 124gr .357 Magnum from a 9mm framed Automatic. No difference in capacity. A G17 holds 17rd of .356 TSW. So all the benefit and none of the negative like the .357 Sig.

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

356 TSW is pretty cool but good luck finding ammunition.
View Quote
It is still being made, but it is hard to find loaded right now.

https://shopcorbon.com/Handgun-Calibers/356TSW

https://www.underwoodammo.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=.356+tsw

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The .356 TSW is a much better option, frankly. It is a cartridge with the overall length of 9x19mm, but since it is a longer case. It can replicate the 124gr .357 Magnum from a 9mm framed Automatic. No difference in capacity. A G17 holds 17rd of .356 TSW. So all the benefit and none of the negative like the .357 Sig.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321106/117941BB-30BD-405F-B0FF-77F92AA3999F_jpe-1643089.JPG

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-5.jpg

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-4.jpg

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-2.jpg
View Quote

How do the pressures compare?  I'm wondering if it could work in something like the Hi Power if a barrel were made for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#49]
There is 356TSW round
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/321106/117941BB-30BD-405F-B0FF-77F92AA3999F_jpe-1643089.JPG

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-5.jpg

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-4.jpg

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-2.jpg
View Quote

Very nice. Where did you get the barrels? Spring change? Weight?

I reload so I can get around the lack or scarcity of factory ammo. Like OP it would be nothing more than a range toy. I have a spare G17 floating around here somewhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top