User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive never had a black man call me boss
View Quote

LOL.  It just happened to me today.  Black Fedex driver called me that today.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Usually inmate language.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Has nothing to do with white/black. Said person has done time in jail or prison but likely in prison.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't interact with black people much so I don't know if I'd be offended or not. I guess it would depend on the context of the conversation.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I get called boss or jefe all day long, even from people who are not on my team, are of various races, and none of whom are convicts. I always took it as a term of respect or admiration.

I've known a couple dudes who get all pissy when hearing it and say it's pejorative con-speak. Well cons didn't come up with it, and it is prevalent here, so I guess they just want to be mad

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Never has it happen until I moved to Florida. Maybe it is a Florida thing?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Well. I was his boss. I got promoted and am no longer his boss but he still calls me that. Nice guy. Not the hardest worker.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
No. I am the boss.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I prefer massa.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not offended by it,  but if does make me uncomfortable/wary.  Has to do with working  as a corrections officer for a short time.  That was the first place I heard it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone that calls me boss, chief, or buddy (unless they really are a buddy) is someone who I instantly distrust.
View Quote

lol..... yea. The most obnoxious opener to me is when somebody starts a conversation with "My friend..."  The people who've used that on me were usually lecturing me and/or being an irritable & testy ass.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not at all, because I am!
View Quote

Who? You?.....
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The only black guys that call me boss work for me, but idgaf if someone calls me boss. More respectful than "bro"
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
In corrections it's an acronym for bag of stupid shit. I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've known people who call other people Boss a lot.

But they were all white guys.
View Quote
This . A lot of guys at worked called me Boss , guess because I was was older and had 25 years seniority on them .
Of the black guys we had , never heard any of them use the term unless actually talking to the real Boss .  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m not white but white adjacent. But no. Boss is fine.

I can’t stand buddy, depends how it’s said and who it’s coming from but 99% of the time it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not white but white adjacent. But no. Boss is fine.

I can't stand buddy, depends how it's said and who it's coming from but 99% of the time it pisses me off.
View Quote
I'm not your buddy dude!
I'm not your dude man!
I'm not your man pale!
I'm not your pale friend!
I'm not your friend guy!
I'm not your guy bro!
I'm not your bro fella!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Usually inmate language.
View Quote

Yup, jail/prison culture. It lets you know who's been inside.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't remember the last time I was offended about anything.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why would I be talking to this black nan?
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Not offended. It's usually bbq guys who look exactly like the man you want preparing bbq for you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I prefer massa.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Using "boss" a lot and conversing with hands behind the back means you're dealing with someone who did some prison time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a Southern thing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Why should I?
It's not like I'm Will Smith.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I don’t care what anyone I don’t know calls me. I think it’s funny they think it’s an insult. Kind of like a few years back, some would walk past and turn their heads and spit. I thought was hilarious that I would actually give a shit.

Unless I know you, you’re just an NPC. Your existence/presence mean nothing unless you somehow distinguish yourself and separate from the herd.

TC
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]
No, I've never thought much about it other than it's as dumb as "bro". Trashy white dudes say it all the damn time, too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, but just keep in mind its EXTREMELY common (white/black/hispanic/whatever) for ex inmates to do it.
View Quote
I also thought it was a prison thing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol no
I use it sometimes too
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually, you probably have. You're not a biologist so you didn't realize he was black.
View Quote

Is that a movie? The first time I saw a black family was at a road side pull out when I was 12. My dad pulled over so we could watch them. They were pretty rude and drove away quickly
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sometimes I hear "sir" and as a sort of old coot thing I don't like the subservient sound of it even though it's usually a black guy or a blue collar white guy trying to be respectful. Particularly from clients it strikes me odd, you're footing the bill. I also don't like it towards cops, they aren't knights.

[waves cane at clouds]
View Quote

For some it's more about being polite. If I didn't know you, and wanted to ask you for directions I

would say "Excuse me sir? Do you know how to get  to . . . " Instead of "Hey Tennessee Tuxedo, where's City Hall"

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been called Boss by all kinds of people.   Then again, I was the boss.  

I've called my bosses Boss or Bossman, but never called anyone who isn't in charge that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#33]
....it beats "Hey asshole".....
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I prefer massa.
View Quote

"Master" used to be a term for all male children to a certain age. Once old enough then you were "Mister"

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I like it.

Also like being called cracker.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I get called boss or jefe all day long, even from people who are not on my team, are of various races, and none of whom are convicts. I always took it as a term of respect or admiration.

I've known a couple dudes who get all pissy when hearing it and say it's pejorative con-speak. Well cons didn't come up with it, and it is prevalent here, so I guess they just want to be mad

View Quote

No, not "jefe". "El Guapo"

And say it with some charisma
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]
New kid at the local grocery store called me Boss the other day. I just rolled with it but was wondering.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#39]
WWE: Big BossMan Titantrom Theme "Cell Block" Download
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I get called boss, chief, friend, etc. all the damn time. I'm neither of those things to the people that call me that. No one works under me, so I'm no one's boss. I'm not the leader of an indian tribe, so I'm not a chief. And I don't know any of those people on a personal level, so I'm not their friend. But damn if it doesn't happen at least a couple/few times a week.

Hate that shit
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I never liked it working as a cop. I would ask them not to call me that. I never called our supervisors "Boss" either but a lot of guys did. I would address them by their rank unless I knew them personally and we were having a private conversation.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes, But I prefer peckerwood or whitey.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I would never get a feta unless I am convinced that someone is attempting to offend me. Even then I might just laugh at them depending on who they are.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#44]
It irks me slightly.

Then again, I AM the boss...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't give a shit. It's pretty much impossible to offend me, haha
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm Gen X, so I generally don't get offended.  

Sometimes strangers (of various races) will do that when I'm out and about.  

One guy (black) who works for me does it once in a while, with the occasional "Boss Man."

I haven't put much thought into it.  [shrug]

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Grateful Dead - "Big Boss Man" - Grateful Dead 'Skull & Roses' (1971)

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Boss doesn't bother me. Now some douche bag approaching me and addressing me as "My Guy" ...different story.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone that calls me boss, chief, or buddy (unless they really are a buddy) is someone who I instantly distrust.
View Quote
Same. I immediately assume they aren't honest.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top