User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like how they added breaks in the racing in nascar, lol.
View Quote

Is there anything more cringe in all of auto racing than the words, “Competition caution?”

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is there anything more cringe in all of auto racing than the words, “Competition caution?”

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like how they added breaks in the racing in nascar, lol.

Nascar made it dumber with stage racing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The King,  Richard Petty!
View Quote

Sorry but I think David Pearson has a higher winning percentage. Also Pearson won the championship without running all of the races at least once.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nascar made it dumber with stage racing.
View Quote
I was a fan, I'm a plank holder at Texas Motor Speedway. I was teetering with green white checker finishes and the intermissions killed them for me for good.
Don't even think about it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hamilton is certainly helped by the team he’s on, but you don’t get that seat unless you are one of the best. He wouldn’t be my first choice for a bank get away driver, but the man does his job as well as anyone in the modern racing sport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly hard to argue with Hamilton being one of the greatest F1 drivers. But that’s also the extent of his experience (along with the standard karting and feeder formula series). So I’d say his river isn’t very deep compared to a lot of others he shares the top F1 shelf with.

Dan Gurney is probably my personal favorite “greatest”.

Hamilton is certainly helped by the team he’s on, but you don’t get that seat unless you are one of the best. He wouldn’t be my first choice for a bank get away driver, but the man does his job as well as anyone in the modern racing sport.

Agreed.

I do think last year particularly showed that he’s still human, which was nice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Lauda was pretty damn good and ice cold. Schumacher was probably even better. NASCAR always seemed ridiculously stupid compared to F1, but I guess Petty's records speak for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The greatest driver of all time is most likely some guy that drove a car that only made the field by his sheer talent and finished mid pack if it didn't let him down.

Nobody recognized this and he went back to turning wrenches or working on the farm when the team he was driving for folded.
View Quote

True.
Unfortunately motorsports doesn't have a Pop Warner or Little League to find young talent and have a state sponsored training regimen to develop them for the pros.  

For a Mount Rushmore as much as I wanted to be a Rally Racer when I grew up, I would have to select one from each discipline.

Colin McRae
John Surtees
AJ Foyt
Stephane Peterhansel (Perfecthansel)

With women's place to Michelle Mouton.

My personal favorite driver is Niki Lauda.
If I had to add a drag racer, it would be Don Garlits.
IMHO drag racing takes 1/6th , circle track 1/3, and Road Rally 1 1/2 the skill of road racing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Stig Blomqvist
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never knew this about Rusty Wallace.

Eilliot said he thought he was right on the edge of losing it going 212mph at Talladega in '87.

As an equally fearless driver, “Rubberhead” – Wallace’s affectionate nickname given to him by the legendary Dale Earnhardt – reached a mind-boggling 216.309 miles per hour, thundering around the tri-oval track in just 44.270 seconds.

https://www.usanetwork.com/usa-insider/whos-the-fastest-driver-in-nascar-history#:~:text=Bill%20Elliott
View Quote

That was a test sanctioned by Nascar and Racing Radios.  The restrictor plate was removed from Wallace's Dodge.  The 216mph was average speed for the lap.  Wallace was hitting 228mph entering the corners.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AJ Foyt

Won NASCAR and Indy Car.  Even ran a few F1 races.

Only driver to win the Indianapolis 500 (four times), the Daytona 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the 12 Hours of Sebring

Not a huge fan but I respect what he did.
View Quote
This.  If it had 4 wheels he could race and win at the top level.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Jimmie Johnson
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bill Elliott...

...before restrictor plates
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Richard Petty
Dale Earnhardt
Jimmie Johnson
Michael Schumacher
Mario Andretti
AJ Foyt
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Michael Schumacher
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jim Clark
View Quote

Clark
Senna

...maybe Stewart
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Whoever it is, it's not a NASCAR driver.
View Quote

Mostly this though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Anne Heche.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Graham Hill.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly hard to argue with Hamilton being one of the greatest F1 drivers. But that’s also the extent of his experience (along with the standard karting and feeder formula series). So I’d say his river isn’t very deep compared to a lot of others he shares the top F1 shelf with.

Dan Gurney is probably my personal favorite “greatest”.

Agreed.

Hamilton has found himself in the right seat at the right time. Generally the best drivers find themselves in the best cars(Fangio won with 3 different teams)  but Lewis’s performance over the last couple seasons shows that his race craft isn’t worthy of the GOAT moniker.  7 championships is impressive regardless but Max is going to win his 3rd this year, 4th next year, and 5th in 2025. Nobody else even has a shot at the title until regulation changes in 2026.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Clark
Senna

...maybe Stewart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jim Clark

Clark
Senna

...maybe Stewart

Stewart simply for running 99 races without getting killed in the deadliest era of the sport. Unfortunately not true for the other two you listed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#23]
AJ Foyt is the answer, but there’s been many greats.

John Force is tops in my book, but I love most forms of racing. I just love drag racing the most.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Jeff Gordon
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Ayrton Senna. Even those greats listed here, like Schumacher, say he was the best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#26]
No Paul Newman?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No Paul Newman?
View Quote

He was a pretty good hobby driver, but no way considered as greatest driver anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He was a pretty good hobby driver, but no way considered as greatest driver anywhere.
View Quote

Gotcha.
Ditto for Sam Posey too I guess. Surprised when someone mentioned Danica too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Ditto for Sam Posey too I guess. Surprised when someone mentioned Danica too.
View Quote

It's gd. Retardation is rampant. Sam Posey was a really good driver.
Guys like Foyt could go run the baja 1000, then the next week do 24hrs of lemans, then two weeks later drive an indy car, and have a good chance at winning all three.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top