Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if in the future they will be able to do simulated matchups like these using AI. Also some of the earlier boxers had to be tough as shit with bare knuckle or almost no gloves like modern ones.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Joe Frazier, but I would have paid money to see Tyson shut Ali the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tyson never really faced any boxers of the caliber that Ali, Louis and Marciano fought against

The three above were all smarter than Tyson and would have outboxed him.
View Quote

True,  I just don't know if they could have shrugged off an uppercut and he would eventually land one like he did everyone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Tyson.  I remember watching the fights back in the 1986-1990s.  He was a rage hate filled man that transferred that to boxing.    He had power, speed, agility and rage.    One of the fastest uppercuts i have ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
No one says Ali..
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
butterbean
View Quote
You're supposed to wait until page 2 to post the correct answer.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Tyson
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tyson never really faced any boxers of the caliber that Ali, Louis and Marciano fought against

The three above were all smarter than Tyson and would have outboxed him.
View Quote

I agree that Ali was a better boxer, mechanically. Mike , however. on the  inside would take out Ali in my opinion. Tysons hits were bone crushing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

90 pounds ?

Louis was heavier and had a longer reach.
View Quote

Rocky Marciano vs Joe Louis - Film Restoration Colorized

It might not have been 90 pounds. Rocky put on a bunch of muscle for that fight. He was fighting heavier than he had ever fought.

Joe did it to pay off taxes and later said he knew he was too old to be in the ring.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH-fvR9fJy0

It might not have been 90 pounds. Rocky put on a bunch of muscle for that fight. He was fighting heavier than he had ever fought.

Joe did it to pay off taxes and later said he knew he was too old to be in the ring.
View Quote

Neither would've laster 2 rounds with Tyson.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:No one says Ali
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

90 pounds ?

Louis was heavier and had a longer reach.

Joe had almost 9 inches and 30 pounds on Rocky.from what I can find.

https://boxingnewsonline.net/on-this-day-rocky-marciano-snatches-the-torch-from-joe-louis-in-1951/

To say Rocky had 90 pounds and inches of reach is fucking absurd, lol.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tyson at 25 and Joe at 25... I don't know man. Tyson is a technical boxer people miss that while he is pounding someone in the ground like a tent stake.

I think Joe would have been inside Tyson's bombs and busting ribs. Maybe not though. The sport advanced and changed. Joe was just some guy that could beat another guy to death.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Tyson. And I was at the MGM Garden to witness his second professional loss.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Tyson was a beast but I’d take Ali.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Mike Tyson and it's not even debatable.  He was an absolute animal
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No one says Ali..
View Quote

I will.  Ali actually Clay in his prime.  

Tough to compare different eras though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tyson
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Jack Dempsey.

Without Jack there would be no Mike.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tyson was an animal.  So fast.  So much rage.

I'd like to see a methed and/or coked up Prime Mike Tyson fight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tyson
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Holyfield beat Tyson twice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Frank Bruno…..

Second thoughts. It was Tyson.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jack Dempsey.
View Quote

Another killer. Just stood there and watched the other guy. Maybe let him throw a few combos. Then break every bone in the guy's face.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tyson in his prime.  A fucking beast.
View Quote

Absolutely and it's not even remotely close.  He was an animal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#26]
John L. Sullivan, closely followed by Jack Dempsey.

Sullivan was the last bare-knuckle champion & fought unheard of amount of rounds.

Depending on the modern authority, Sullivan was first considered world heavyweight champion either in 1888 when he fought Charley Mitchell in France, or in 1889 when he knocked out Jake Kilrain in round 75 of a scheduled 80-round bout. Arguably the real first World Heavyweight champion was Jem Mace, who defeated Tom Allen in 1870 at Kenner, Louisiana, but strong anti-British sentiment within the mostly Irish American boxing community of the time chose to disregard him.

Mitchell came from Birmingham, England and fought Sullivan in 1883, knocking him down in the first round. Their third meeting took place in 1888 on the grounds of a chateau at Chantilly, France, with the fight held in driving rain. It went on for more than two hours, and by the end of the bout, both men were unrecognizable and had suffered so much damage that neither could lift their arms up to punch. Both men couldn't continue, and the contest was considered a draw.

Charley Mitchell fight
In March of 1888, Sullivan fought Charley Mitchell, an English prize-fighter, for 39 rounds; it was a draw. [7]
View Quote

I saw almost all of Tyson's fights live. He was indeed a beast. Would've been the ultimate fight between him & Ali with both in their prime. Ali was faster, Tyson might've been tougher. Ali went 15 rounds with Frazier & knocked out George Foreman in Zaire. Frazier once said he hit Ali with punches that would've made holes in brick walls & Ali still wouldn't go down.

Still a fun debate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tyson looked insurmountable for quite awhile, but he was also fighting chumps for the most part.
View Quote

That's what makes it all so difficult to judge.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sullivan was the last bare-knuckle champion & fought unheard of amount of rounds.

I saw almost all of Tyson's fights live. He was indeed a beast. Would've been the ultimate fight between him & Ali with both in their prime. Ali was faster, Tyson might've been tougher. Ali went 15 rounds with Frazier & knocked out George Foreman in Zaire. Frazier once said he hit Ali with punches that would've made holes in brick walls & Ali still wouldn't go down.

Still a fun debate.
View Quote

Came to post something like this. Those bare knuckle fighters that went for more rounds than I can count would have undoubtedly laughed at the best boxer alive with gloves on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tyson
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Jack Dempsey.

Without Jack there would be no Mike.
View Quote

Or the fish.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Liston
View Quote

Right or wrong, it shouldn't have taken this many posts before he was brought into the discussion.

Mark Knopfler - Song For Sonny Liston (AVO Session 2007 | Official Live Video)

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No one says Ali..
View Quote

Because Arfcom refuses to accept reality.  Ali, in his prime, was an amazing fighter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Iron Mike all the way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like Joe Frazier, but I would have paid money to see Tyson shut Ali the fuck up.
View Quote

Tyson would have done it too. There's just no question Mike Tyson was a phenom.

Everyone talks about Tyson v Ali, but the better fight would be Tyson v. George Forman in their prime.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
You and me both brother. Draft dodging muslim...
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tyson at 25 and Joe at 25... I don't know man. Tyson is a technical boxer people miss that while he is pounding someone in the ground like a tent stake.

I think Joe would have been inside Tyson's bombs and busting ribs. Maybe not though. The sport advanced and changed. Joe was just some guy that could beat another guy to death.
View Quote
Joe was the surgeon with his punches, that was his strength.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Tyson was a terminator.  Problem with that approach is that it doesn't last. Eventually, the body wears down. You can't stay filled with rage forever, and your skeleton and nervous system weakens with age.

But, in his prime, Tyson.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#38]
You really cannot compare athletes from different generations in a "greatest of all time" debate because the training, conditioning, strategies, form, equipment, PED use, etc. change so dramatically over the decades that athletes of yesterday are simply not of the same caliber as athletes of today.

Anyway, my votes goes to either Mike Tyson or Evander Hollyfield.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Red Rocker
Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots 1964

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots 1964
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Tyson in his prime. He was pure rage mixed with crazy skill and athleticism. Unfortunately maintaining a mindset like that breaks people eventually. There was no way for him to get to GOAT status because his boiling over mental state was inevitable. I truly don’t think anyone is beating him when he was on fire though.

Rocky for the legacy. While other guys were trying to play old English fisticuffs, he was pioneering a style of boxing never before seen. I consider him the GOAT.

Ali was a showman. Talented, but more of a spectacle than anything. He was able to get into people’s heads in and out of the ring and it worked great. He was a piece of shit though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

(snip)

Still a fun debate.
View Quote

Bare knuckle fighter were a different level of brutality.

To be fair I’m biased towards a few fighters.

Jack considered my dad “family” and me so by extension.

I had to explain to neighbors why a very large man was knocking on my door early in the morning and to plead not call the cops, back when I ran a few times with Buster.

Tyson told me to call him Mike.

ETA: My dad was in his 50s when I was born.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Jersey Joe Wolcott was a scrapper, I question whether he was even a boxer after watching him fight. He could take a punch or twelve though.
Evander Holyfield was a great boxer, on par with Joe Lewis with his technique. Joe Lewis was a strategic boxer, always thinking, calculating his opponents next move, making his punches count.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Without a doubt, Larry Holmes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Ali in his prime...smart, fast, and could go the distance.  Tough mother fucker, could take a beating too.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No one says Ali..
View Quote

Prime Ali vs. Prime Tyson would have been a hell of a fight.    I wouldn’t bet against Ali.      

Does anyone here think his Rope-a-dope fight was staged?   If not, he had an almost magical ability to slip punches.    Plus, he could take punches as well as anyone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Tyson says Ali was better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Holyfield beat Tyson twice.
View Quote
And he was a middle heavyweight. Hell a nobody named Buster Douglas whooped him too.

Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Ali, Holmes, Liston, take your pick. All would have beaten Tyson in their prime. But NOBODY was as fast as Caseous Clay. That guy moved as fast as Leonard, only twice as big.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tyson in his prime.  A fucking beast.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No one who’s ever walked the earth could go toe to toe with Tyson early in his career, talking like 1985-1990. Knocked out Michael Spinks in 90 seconds, Carl Williams in less than a minute, Marvis Frazier in 20 seconds, and was the only person to ever knock out Larry Holmes. Not sure we’ll ever see another fighter as dominant as he was in that 5 year period.
View Quote

You know that Douglas knocked Tyson out in that time frame, right?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top