Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because I still prefer the convenience of disposable CR123 batteries.  Don’t need to worry about remembering to charge.  Don’t need to worry if my batteries are degrading over time.  If I start to get low, I toss them and grab more.  I have a huge Streamlight flashlight that came with rechargeables, but it’s not something I rely on for self defense or serious use.  Just a general purpose light that the kids play around with to find lost toys under the couches and whatnot.  It annoys me when they grab my Surefire lights and start wasting the batteries, so a rechargeable makes sense for the general purpose household light.  My headlamps and any other “work” lights use disposables.  I’ll be damned if I forget to charge a headlamp and need to use it immediately to fix something only to find out it’s not fully charged.  Keeping track of fully charged spare battery sets?  Nah, I’m good.
View Quote

Nitecores usually have a mode to flash a led that can blink the battery voltage.
Four Long and 2 short means 4.2 volts.

Protected cells have a nipple on the positive and are usually 1/8 inch longer than the flat nose unprotected cells.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Search Amazon for Gear Light TAC Led Flashlight.

2 lights for 20 bucks. Zooms like a Maglite, and can use 18650 batteries.

Virtually indestructable and is Amazons best seller.  No frills other than the zoom feature.

A great cheap beater flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same for me, old and slow to change.  This was my first flashlight.   I recently discovered these 18650's and Streamlight.  It really is worth the upgrade.

With the prices of batteries these days, the USB charging saves money.  

https://i.postimg.cc/2j4rwPh3/cub-scout-light.jpg
View Quote

Holy fuck, that’s a blast from the past. I had that exact same flashlight in Cub Scouts. I haven’t thought about that in years, but you just brought up a great childhood memory with that picture. I have no idea whatever happened to mine, lost to time somewhere in the 1970s.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
CR123 is fine
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CR123 is fine
View Quote

Used to feel that way but I realized 18650’s are dirt cheap, rechargeable and stronger.

I do not buy CR123’s anymore. I use to buy them buy the case.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few 18650 lights. My EDC is a 2x AAA Streamlight someone traded me for in lieu of gas money. I've carried that for 10+ years. If I need serious task lighting, I grab an 18650 headlamp. That thing is bombproof and the battery lasts days.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I am covered. I have many to choose from.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my Cloud Defensive MCH. Runs on a 18650 flattop battery. I use the Samsung S30Q flattops. Great light!! Also came with the Thyrm pocket clip.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a stream light that takes AA batteries and a bunch of harbor freight freebies.

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on, but never felt compelled to buy anything nicer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Same here. I went to the Streamlight site to see, and it just shows that number as a battery, not a light. [shrug]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I dont even know what the OP is talking about

Same here. I went to the Streamlight site to see, and it just shows that number as a battery, not a light. [shrug]

Yup. It's a rechargeable LiIon battery designation.

18650 = 18mm diameter, 65mm length, the last '0' denotes cylindrical.

So,
21700 mentioned in the thread = 21mm diameter, 70mm length, cylindrical

The best 18650 batteries are ~3400 - 3500 mAh. The best 21700 batteries are ~5000 mAh

Depending on the light, it might require High Discharge capable batteries, in which case, the best 18650 HD are around 2500mAh@40A - 3000mAh@15A (depending on how many amps your light's/device's highest current draw might be).

A couple of my single 21700 lights put out 4000 lumens on the highest mode, and require HD 21700 batteries. Noticeable difference in the highest brightness, using 25A capable batteries vs 15A.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
can anyone recommend some 16650 batteries?  I've got a few older flashlights that i've updated to LED's, but the internal diameter isnt wide enough for an 18650.  

like some surefire 6p's or Pelican M6's
View Quote

What batteries are you currently using?  Bear in mind, LiIon (LiCo or LiMn chemistries) are 3.7v nominal and 4.2v straight off the charger. The higher voltages will fry devices not designed for them.

LiFePO4 is a safer rechargeable Lithium chemistry with a 3.0v nominal, but generally lower energy density (lower mAh and runtimes, and I don't think the max discharge is as high as the HD LiIon are capable of).
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.

The 18650 batteries you see exploding are almost always unprotected ones, which idiots buy because they're cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy protected cells. The cell phone in your pocket uses lithium too.

This.

The 18650 batteries you see exploding are almost always unprotected ones, which idiots buy because they're cheaper.

Also, buy quality, namebrand protected LiIon batteries. Plenty of horror stories of the cheap Chinese 'protected' batteries catching on fire (or having way shittier runtimes). Trustfire and Ultrafire are 2 brands I recall reading accounts on Candlepowerforums and Budgetlightforums of catching on fire (that SHOULD be their brand name 'CatchOnFire').

P.S.

***PSA***
IF a rechargeable LiIon battery ever carches on gire for whatever reason, be careful not to inhale any of the gases. They're toxic and will cause chemical burns to your lungs if inhaled. That's happened to folks before. Charging battery caught on fire and they ran to grab it and toss it out the window,  but didn't hold their breath. Chemical burns that caused lung scarring.

That said, I've had and used rechargeable LiIon batteries in lights and other devices for over a a decade and a half with no issues. I only get quality, namebrand batteries from places I know I'm not getting fakes.

For protected non-High Discharge capable 18650s, KeepPower are my go to. Good protection circuitry that allows the maximum 10A discharge the Panasonic NCR 18650B cells they use are caapable of (some companies use protection circuitry that limits the discharge current even lower, to 5A or 7A).

I've also got about 20 NCR 18650B unprotected cells (not to mention quite a few High Discharge 18650 and 21700 batteries).

Don't charge them at freezing temps or lower. Safely discard any batteries with physical damage. If they're ever allowed to drop below ~2.5v,  and especially 2.0v or lower (a lot of protection circuitry stops at 2.7v), a good charger won't try to charge them. At this point, safer to dispose of them (than try to use one of the tricks to force a charge).
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nitecores usually have a mode to flash a led that can blink the battery voltage.

Protected cells have a nipple on the positive and are usually 1/8 inch longer than the flat nose unprotected cells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because I still prefer the convenience of disposable CR123 batteries.  Don’t need to worry about remembering to charge.  Don’t need to worry if my batteries are degrading over time.  If I start to get low, I toss them and grab more.  I have a huge Streamlight flashlight that came with rechargeables, but it’s not something I rely on for self defense or serious use.  Just a general purpose light that the kids play around with to find lost toys under the couches and whatnot.  It annoys me when they grab my Surefire lights and start wasting the batteries, so a rechargeable makes sense for the general purpose household light.  My headlamps and any other “work” lights use disposables.  I’ll be damned if I forget to charge a headlamp and need to use it immediately to fix something only to find out it’s not fully charged.  Keeping track of fully charged spare battery sets?  Nah, I’m good.

Unprotected/bare cells are available in flat top and button top. I wouldn't rely on "button top = protected".
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Lol, I bought a bunch of Solar Force bodies back when they were like $7 a piece and use P60 type led drop ins and cheap18650’s for solar lighting and laptops.  Like less than $20 total.

I haven’t bought CR123’s in like 5 years and have only had one module short out in that time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Used to feel that way but I realized 18650’s are dirt cheap, rechargeable and stronger.

I do not buy CR123’s anymore. I use to buy them buy the case.
View Quote

My IR laser, my Eotechs, and most of my flashlights use them.  It's easier to live in one world than two.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Crushing poverty over here, so its Surefire G2Xs and 6PXs with 16650's for me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope, don’t see the need.  CR123s are abundant and don’t require additional equipment.  Throw some in a case for spares and replace the one’s in use on a set schedule and you’re set.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Self discharge of 18650 is low.  Lumens difference from a 18650 vs 123 light is huge.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have switched over to flashlights with a built in charge port, makes life a little simpler.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I must really be behind the times, all I have are the 6P/Z series Surefires...I dont even know what the OP is talking about
View Quote

Throw in a 16650 battery and any Malkoff M61 series LED, and you'll be a happy man.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
are there any rechargeable options to replace 3 CR123A? for a pelican m3 or surefire 9p?
View Quote

get (3) 16340 batteries and a Malkoff M91 LED

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Self discharge of 18650 is low.  Lumens difference from a 18650 vs 123 light is huge.

View Quote

Yep. Either way more lumens, or significantly longer runtimes at equivalent lumens.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have several 18650 lights, plus 16400, and a 14500 (AA sized, but 3.7v)

Most of mine are sofirn brand.  I first found them because they had Anduril, which is a (complicated) menu system through one button and flashes that let you ramp, change configurations, see the voltage, temperature, and lots of things.  Oh, it even can simulate lightning, or a candle.  

I do have some that aren't anduril and they still support different levels, are easier to use, but I do prefer anduril.

One of the things I really like about the sofirns I have is they they can start really dim.  Yeah they get bright, but especailly the sc10pro can start really dim.  Like middle of the night look at something close dim.

I don't have them in front of me, but I have the sc31, sc31 pro, sc21, sc21pro, sp10, and an 18650 headlamp version.

And most of them plug in to a usb-c for charging.

I do recommend li-ion battery powered lights.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#24]
6v battery master race
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an og Fenix uc35 that has taken a lickin and keeps on tickin. Still use the 18650 it came with. I’ve had it for close to 5 years and it’s been dropped on concrete, used with the Thyrm Switchback technique and survived being right next to the muzzle of my G43x when it’s being fired, has been used many times by my boys to burn piles of leaves, survived numerous camping trips, etc, etc.

I’ve also got a surefire df on my 13.7 ar. I’m looking at getting a modlite phlv-2 18350 handheld. I’ll put the modlite head on the surefire body and the surefire head on the modlite body.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I just picked up a couple for black Friday. Nice, but I wish someone would make a simple on/off LED flashlight that's doesn't have brightness levels and strobe mode.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Got 2 cheap Chinese 18650 flashlights got off ebay 4 or 5 years ago. Each takes 2 18650 batteries. I literally abuse them. Think they were $17 for both,2 batteries and 2 chargers. Best flashlights I've ever owned. The batteries usually last a year or so. These 18650 and leds are truly game changers. I've still got my battery sucking,low output 3 d cell maglight. Right next to a rotary phone and a typewriter.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got 14500, 18650, 26650 lights, and even a 26800 flashlight

Actually my 26800 is my go-to light now. It's a warm 3k color temp and I can leave it run at roughly 1k lumens for 5-6 hours at constant medium/40% (maybe longer?)...shit doesn't even get hot. I'm always dissapointed with my 18650's for practical long term usage. 26800 solved all of that with the larger size lights and 6800 mAh capacity. Also I can bludgeon something with it if needed. My light is still a virgin to vole guts, but it will get it's chance to "shine" one day

Edit: for any flashlight newbs: 21700 is the best of all worlds right now. I already owned 26650 lights so 26800 was the logical progression for me, but if I were starting fresh, I'd go 21700. Very high capacity and discharge batteries with plenty of options available, no shortage of lights, and almost all of the lights will work with 18650s if needed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm just afraid of LiIon batteries dying on me.  I have enough RC batteries that are dead as doornails and can't take a charge because they weren't stored at the proper maintenance charge level.

Give me a good AAA light and a $15 Costco box of like 50 batteries in the junk drawer and I'm a happy man.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
21700 is where it's at

View Quote

IMO, 21700s are more of a 26650 replacement than a 18650 replacement. I returned the one I bought, a Thrunite T2. It was just a bit too big for pocket carry, I didn't like the mode spacing and it seemed to have a proprietary battery (wouldn't charge in a charger, only the light).

Big fan of 18650s here, I think this is the best deal out there. Get the warm white if you can.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8283VN?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

IMO, 21700s are more of a 26650 replacement than a 18650 replacement. I returned the one I bought, a Thrunite T2. It was just a bit too big for pocket carry, I didn't like the mode spacing and it seemed to have a proprietary battery (wouldn't charge in a charger, only the light).

Big fan of 18650s here, I think this is the best deal out there. Get the warm white if you can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
21700 is where it's at

Thrunite lights tend to be thicker and very durable. Most other brands of 21700 flashlights are pretty much as thick as my 18650 thrunites lol.

There are a lot of really good 21700 lights out there these days! Don't limit yourself by brand (I'm admittedly a long time thrunite fanboi)

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm just afraid of LiIon batteries dying on me.  I have enough RC batteries that are dead as doornails and can't take a charge because they weren't stored at the proper maintenance charge level.

Give me a good AAA light and a $15 Costco box of like 50 batteries in the junk drawer and I'm a happy man.
View Quote

That's one of the reasons I don't really care for the lights with built-in recharging ports (i.e. I don't care if they have them, and it's not a feature I look for,  as I don't use them).

I have 20 unprotected cells (devices have built-in protection circuitry) and 15 protected 18650s. I take them out to charge and pop a different one in. That way, all of them get cycled.

While it's recommended to store them at ~60% charge for long term storage, I don't really bother to do that, as I don't plan on storing them unused for years. The gradual loss over charging cycles with having ~2-3x batteries for each device isn't worth worrying over for me. I'd rather have them all ready to go at any given time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get both.

Modern lithium batteries vary in quality, but if you're just looking at AAA/AA sizes, most any light that will accept a 3v lithium will also run on regular 1.5 alkaline.

Lithium primary batteries are very expensive these days, but rechargeable Lithiums are cheap and will do almost as well for long term storage in heat, cold, cars, etc...

https://www.18650batterystore.com/

Edit, I guess I spoke too soon...shit got way more expensive since I last bought any recently
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep. Either way more lumens, or significantly longer runtimes at equivalent lumens.
View Quote

Haven’t noticed a difference in brightness or throw and I get similar run times and my rechargeables are like 5-6 years old and still going strong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Haven’t noticed a difference in brightness or throw and I get similar run times and my rechargeables are like 5-6 years old and still going strong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helps to "Quote All' for context. The particular post I replied to was comparing 18650 vs CR123 lights.

Even the 2 or 3xCR123 lights tend to not be as bright as single 18650 lights are capable of nowadays, due to the higher discharge current possible, and energy density (the brightest 18650 lights, last I looked, were in the 2000 lumen range. Or ran longer at 500 lumens).
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I& rather have herpes than deal with a rechargeable flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#39]
one? Ha!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The last job I had, they passed out CR123s like candy. I had so many that it never made sense to “upgrade”.
The flashlight in my pocket uses AAAs.
View Quote

For all the CR123 fanboys out there ....   Get a dual fuel  Takes either CR213 OR 18650   Best of both worlds.  

This is the best flashlight I own...
Streamlight 88081 ProTac HL 5-X USB 3500-Lumen Rechargeable Flashlight With 2 SL-B26
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#41]
My MAWL would be the only thing that uses them. I don't go outside at night
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#42]
What fucking losers are still using 18650?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I am an old 33 year old man that still uses CR123 disposable batteries
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm still rocking ~20 year old school surfires with led upgrades.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I misplaced my kick ass Perun headlamp. Took it camping and I can't find it now.
View Quote
Shhhhh... the Olight haters will be along to tell you you're lucky it's gone because it was going to blow your head off.

I love all my Olights... I still have my Perun 2 ;)  The Seeker Pro 2 is the one I reach for when something sets off the driveway alarm.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Fexix PD35 have had it for many many years, still works good, carry it everyday in the winter, and often in the summer.

Have 3 of the harbor freight work lights, use them all the time at work and home, strong magnet and can put the light where you need it every time, it just works.  They take 18650's so it is easy to change batteries and keep working.  They go on sale often, I believe they were around $17 on black friday.   https://www.harborfreight.com/390-lumen-led-rechargeable-magnetic-slim-bar-work-light-56329.html

Bought a bunch of 18650's from radio shacks when they were closing and had everything marked down like 80% or something.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
are there any rechargeable options to replace 3 CR123A? for a pelican m3 or surefire 9p?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Iirc, it's some of my streamlights that say warranty void if you use rechargeable 123's.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Iirc, it's some of my streamlights that say warranty void if you use rechargeable 123's.
View Quote

Then buy Surefires
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
18650 Headlamp ALSO checking in! Got it from the Amazon deal thread. Swapped out to the bigger battery!

Also have a couple hand held 18650s.
View Quote

I got that and also an Olight Warrior.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top