[#1]
The future is now, old man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you talking about? You know what gaslighting means. You've known for years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I accused a gal who worked for me years ago of trying to gaslight me, she didn't know what it meant, either. (Edit. This would have been circa 2016).

I hear it a lot now from my younger co-workers. It seems to be catching on in the culture.

I will take credit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Am I just the last person on the planet who didn't know this, or are there plenty of others who also didn't know?  
View Quote

I had to look it up as well, when it became a term in common use here.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I read about it several years ago, but only because my ex wife is a fucking borderline and I couldn’t figure out what she was doing to my brains.  

But yeah…it seems to come up all the time now.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been hearing it more and more in the past few years, but had NO IDEA wtf it means.  I finally decided to spent the ten seconds typing it into Google, and looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Basically, it's a tactic for manipulating someone in a way that makes them question their own reality or sanity.

Am I just the last person on the planet who didn't know this, or are there plenty of others who also didn't know?  
View Quote

it's one of those retard words brought to you buy the same limp-wristed fucks that use words like, "problematic," and "systemic."
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
It's quite the name for basically telling people what they know to be true, isn't.  
Based on an old movie where this guy was making his wife go crazy.  An old Psychology term if I remember correctly.

"The sky is blue"

"No, it's red"
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You brought this up 3 years ago.  You taught us what it means.
Some one else surely remembers that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
yes.  Common among the Right side of the retarded political spectrum and VERY common among the Left.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I never cared to look up what it meant because i figured it was just another retarded liberal fad word that would quickly be replaced with something else ad nauseam.
So thanks i guess.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you talking about? You know what gaslighting means. You've known for years.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I actually Googled it for the first time myself about a month ago.

How is it that with more access to information than ever before in history we have less and less truth?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I accused a gal who worked for me years ago of trying to gaslight me, she didn't know what it meant, either. (Edit. This would have been circa 2016).

I hear it a lot now from my younger co-workers. It seems to be catching on in the culture.

I will take credit.
View Quote

You should, you do it alot to us Confederate faggot Putin lovers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I had to look it up also. I usually forget and have to look it up to see if what they claim is gaslighting is actually gaslighting. It seems to be over used a lot as of late.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Is it kinda like ghost riding?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I think we used to call it  "lying " or " not telling the truth.......but i am old too !!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will take credit.

There are some who deserve it.

It is a bit funny that even you see that particular correlation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Every gun store stocks single stack Madsen mags, but they all lie to you and tell you that they are out. Everyone else knows this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I had to look it up .

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been hearing it more and more in the past few years, but had NO IDEA wtf it means.  I finally decided to spent the ten seconds typing it into Google, and looked it up.

Basically, it's a tactic for manipulating someone in a way that makes them question their own reality or sanity.

View Quote

I learned this term in the past 3-4 years, but strangely found many opportunities to use it.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Gas lit items are hard to read or distinguish.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I do find it funny that while the usage of the term is relatively new, the movie is from the 1940s.  
View Quote
It's a pretty decent movie FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Every gun store stocks single stack Madsen mags, but they all lie to you and tell you that they are out. Everyone else knows this.
View Quote

This is true i bought 15 in different varieties the other day just for the hell of it. Don't even own a Madsen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

it's one of those retard words brought to you buy the same limp-wristed fucks that use words like, "problematic," and "systemic."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Gaslighting” is probably a more useful term though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

We’ve had this conversation with you several times. Did you just forget?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's quite the name for basically telling people what they know to be true, isn't.  
Based on an old movie where this guy was making his wife go crazy.  An old Psychology term if I remember correctly.

"The sky is blue"

"No, it's red"
View Quote

Crap.

All this time I thought I was just being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#33]
It’s just a buzzword these days. It’s usually over exaggerated or used out of context the same way anything anyone doesn’t like or any uncomfortable situation is now “toxic”.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw the movie on the late late show.

Somewhere around 7th grade.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
When the Emperor has no clothes and you perfectly goddamn well know it you're not being gaslighted.

But we have been badly socially manipulated to conform to obvious untruths by people changing the baseline definitions of things--and then pretending that there is something wrong with you for noticing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Had a psychopathic boss pull that on me all the time:

Cunt: "Please meet with so-and-so, finish the teacher evals, assign paras for coverage, and keep on coverage for lunch duty, got it?"
Me: "On it"
::two hours later::
C: "Why are you in the lunch room? I thought you had to meet with so-and-so? Where are my reports?"
M: "Everyone is assigned places and no one is left, I'm covering lunch duty, evals are on online"
C: "I told you to assign some one for lunch duty and I wanted those reports printed!"
M: "It's an online system."
C: "You didn't meet with so-and-so, I asked her"
M: "I met her at 9 a.m., everything is done"
C: "I think you meant this other so-and-so" *wonders off to be a cunt somewhere else*

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#37]
In recent years its become a more popular phrase, albeit it doesn’t exactly represent the original meaning.

In the movie, the guy literally drives the woman crazy in order to take advantage of her. He mostly used actual physical things to make her question her sanity, like the dimming of the gas lanterns, the noises in the attic, etc.

Nowadays it’s been diluted a bit to refer to basically whenever someone tries manipulate someone through psychological means. People who used to be “manipulators” are often called gaslighters now.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had charts and graphs which included real life examples.

I am not sure what he's trying to accomplish with this thread and trying to make believe that didn't happen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The future is now, old man.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guilty as well. I still don't know what a lot of the terms mean that get thrown around here, same with a lot of the acronyms. Oh well....

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I've never used the term, but I've been hearing it a lot more often lately so I looked it up. It doesn't mean what I thought it meant. I don't know why all of a sudden everyone is using it. Kind of like how everyone is a narcissist now. I've never heard that term used so much either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]

I don't understand shit the kids say now.

No cap foreal bussin
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No cap foreal bussin
View Quote

No way, that's fire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In recent years its become a more popular phrase, albeit it doesn’t exactly represent the original meaning.

In the movie, the guy literally drives the woman crazy in order to take advantage of her. He mostly used actual physical things to make her question her sanity, like the dimming of the gas lanterns, the noises in the attic, etc.

Nowadays it’s been diluted a bit to refer to basically whenever someone tries manipulate someone through psychological means. People who used to be “manipulators” are often called gaslighters now.

View Quote

There are many ways to manipulate, gaslighting as a concept is more focused on making someone question their own sanity. Where the meaning has evolved a bit is that it tends to be related more to making someone think they remembered something wrong or said something they never said.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Have heard it off and on for a couple years now from two particular people and no one else. Always took it to means 'Blowing smoke up someone's ass' or 'Bullshitting'.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Was just looking for that.

It's the first thing I think about when I hear the term
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top