Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm going from a standard "healthy" American diet of brown rice, lean meats, fruits and veggies, etc. straight into this Carnivore diet thing.

Today the only vegetables I've had was a quarter an Onion and Half a red bell pepper. The rest was Steak, Eggs and Salmon Eggs. So I'm not sure if that counts as "easing" my way into it. If I feel fine the next two days of doing this, I will probably go full Carnivore by eliminating all plant based items and increase my fats substantially. But we'll see. The idea of eating zero vegetables/plant based foods is kinda terrifying, tbh. My friends think this is insane. And I'm someone who typically eats a lot of meat.

Edit: By the way, it's my first day doing this and I feel ever so slightly light headed tonight. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:47:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I eat some semblance of primal/paleo/keto 95% of the time. Even with that my body was used to sending more water down south than what was needed for a 100% meat diet.

Easing into it a few days a week is probably a better plan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How bad was your diet before carnivore that eating meat makes you shit yourself?

I eat some semblance of primal/paleo/keto 95% of the time. Even with that my body was used to sending more water down south than what was needed for a 100% meat diet.

I keep forgetting that this is GD. Where half the men crap their pants every time that look at a fast food restaurant.
I shouldn't be surprised that this made them as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I'm going from a standard "healthy" American diet of brown rice, lean meats, fruits and veggies, etc. straight into this Carnivore diet thing.

Today the only vegetables I've had was a quarter an Onion and Half a red bell pepper. The rest was Steak, Eggs and Salmon Eggs. So I'm not sure if that counts as "easing" my way into it. If I feel fine the next two days of doing this, I will probably go full Carnivore by eliminating all plant based items and increase my fats substantially. But we'll see. The idea of eating zero vegetables/plant based foods is kinda terrifying, tbh. My friends think this is insane. And I'm someone who typically eats a lot of meat.

Edit: By the way, it's my first day doing this and I feel ever so slightly light headed tonight. Is this normal?
View Quote

i can't say I ever felt light headed

you may have already mentioned it, but what are you trying to accomplish? Narrowing down a food allergy?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you may have already mentioned it, but what are you trying to accomplish? Narrowing down a food allergy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might need to add more salt. 1 gram of carbs holds 4 grams of water with it.

The salt will help with fluid retention. If you’re low on sodium, you may end up having your fingers swell a little bit. An early sign of hyponatremia.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The salt will help with fluid retention. If you’re low on sodium, you may end up having your fingers swell a little bit. An early sign of hyponatremia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trying to narrow my waist line, that's all, lol. Want to lower my body fat percentage.

No finger swelling. But this morning when I woke up, my fingers definitely felt oh so very slightly, just very slightly numb. As if I was wearing a rubber band on my wrist overnight. But it's a very subtle feeling, like so subtle that I need to pay attention to notice it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Trying to narrow my waist line, that's all, lol. Want to lower my body fat percentage.

No finger swelling. But this morning when I woke up, my fingers definitely felt oh so very slightly, just very slightly numb. As if I was wearing a rubber band on my wrist overnight. But it's a very subtle feeling, like so subtle that I need to pay attention to notice it.
View Quote

Oh carnivore will do it - but it's a pretty drastic step.

Keto and time restricted eating are a little easier way to live imho.

Carnivore is great for diagnosing food allergies though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Right now I'm eating some ground beef and eggs that I sauteed in a skillet, with some seasoning salt.

It's strange, it tastes like pork or sausage. Is this normal? Did the butcher give me ground pork instead of beef? >:(

Maybe it's the seasoning, idk. There is no pork in it the seasoning though. I asked for grass fed ground beef as it is very high in protein and Omega 3. Maybe my taste buds are acting funny?
I had a glass of water last night, and it tasted strange.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Right now I'm eating some ground beef and eggs that I sauteed in a skillet, with some seasoning salt.

It's strange, it tastes like pork or sausage. Is this normal? Did the butcher give me ground pork instead of beef? >:(

Maybe it's the seasoning, idk. There is no pork in it the seasoning though. I asked for grass fed ground beef as it is very high in protein and Omega 3. Maybe my taste buds are acting funny?
I had a glass of water last night, and it tasted strange.
View Quote
You need to dial down your stress levels just a bit. You're going on this journey to feel better, not wreck yourself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are right. I'm just getting all wound up about this. From now on, I'm just gonna eat it and not worry about it anymore. Hopefully that resolves everything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These days (note: I'm not eating straight carnivore and have no desire to, but it still applies - think Venn Diagram, and learn from all the various "diets") I cook my protein sous vide. I work from home which makes this easier, but I'll tend to throw my protein in the water bath around 4:00pm. It's ready by 5:00pm, were I to pull it out and eat it immediately. 5:30pm if it went in the bath frozen straight out of the freezer. If I was still going into an office every day, my wife would do it (she's always been a stay at home mom). If both of us went into an office everyday, I'd figure out a system, any system, that worked and make it happen.

The advantage here - especially on a weekday, is really one of timing. While it's possible to overcook your meat (fish is even easier), you really have to leave it in there for several hours longer than necessary to fuck it up. And it takes all of the skill out of it - your protein is always at the perfect temperature. This is especially nice when I'm cooking an expensive fish. I was always about 50/50 on the end result, and nothing pisses me off more than not absolutely nailing something I paid $20/lb for. Sous vide more or less idiot proofs that for me.

You just need to put a sear on it for some color and flavor (easy peasy). Use a skilet, your grill, hell - just fire up some lump coals in a chimney with a grate on top (my favorite for steaks). So what it does, if give you some time. In my case, when my circulator beeps at me to let me know it's done, if affords me the opportunity to start warming up the skillet (for searing and any veggie cooking I'll be doing), prepping all the veggies and whatever else I'm eating on the side, etc. I spend no more than 45 minutes to an hour in the kitchen each day actively doing something. Dinner is on by 6-ish.

I'll eat as many as 4 eggs in a day (and not every day), and don't personally have any trouble with them. I feel like if I was eating 8 of them, it would be because I didn't have anything else to eat and I was trying to make up for it by just doubling down on eggs (fast and cheap). The thing is, I always have a fridge and freezer stocked with stuff to eat, and I deliberately schedule my weekdays to make sure I have an hour available to prepare it.

As far as I know (I haven't studied any of this at length), people with egg allergies are mostly reacting to the types of proteins found in the egg whites. And given that, as far as I know, food allergies are really just an immune response to something perceived by your body as harmful for whatever reason, it might be said that "the dose makes the poison". So then, given that it's probably the types of protein found in the whites that cause you discomfort, and that in your case it's probably the amount of it you're eating that finally triggers a response, and given that - as near as I can tell - most of the nutritive good stuff is found in the egg yolk and not the white, you might try just eating the yolks if you're going to be eating a lot of eggs. Maybe have a couple of eggs (which you seem to tolerate just fine), and then for the other 4-6 you feel like eating - ditch the whites. See how that goes.
View Quote

thanks for the info. I might have to get a Sous Vide.

kind of what I was thinking with the eggs.  I know Shawn Baker has been on a yoke only kick lately.  i should try that.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Just threw this on the Pit Boss.  It's from a pig we got a few months ago and about 15# if I had to guess.  It's a big one so it might be a 24+ hour cook.

Love me pulled pork!

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let me know how it goes. I'm kind of curious.
View Quote

will do.  I did just have 3 eggs for lunch and not bad.  I'll have to try just yokes though.  kinda hate wasting all the whites though.  can you save those?  my wife might eat them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

will do.  I did just have 3 eggs for lunch and not bad.  I'll have to try just yokes though.  kinda hate wasting all the whites though.  can you save those?  my wife might eat them.
View Quote
I boil eggs a dozen at a time and generally eat 3-4 of them about an hour before my real meal. I've eaten as many as 6 in one sitting, but I was too stuffed to eat anything after that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I quit wearing glasses, vision is crystal clear and I blame the glasses on cholesterol or blood sugar.

View Quote

I had just gotten my first prescription eyeglasses when I first tried Keto. After about a month I didn't need them anymore. I have never come across anyone else to back up my theory.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you guys do 1 or 2 meals a day?  I've been doing 2 but 1 is interesting...
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I did it for a few months.

I can honestly say my joints felt better than they had in years.

It's just really hard to stick to meat-only, especially if you're driving around all the time from project to project.

I HATE meal prepping, so it became a chore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you guys do 1 or 2 meals a day?  I've been doing 2 but 1 is interesting...
View Quote
I generally eat OMAD, however, that wasn't much of a stretch for me. I only ate twice a day at my heaviest. If I eat enough fat in that one meal, I can usually go 14-16 hours without getting hungry. If not, I'm usually ravenous by noon the next day. I do sit at a desk all day at work, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I keep forgetting that this is GD. Where half the men crap their pants every time that look at a fast food restaurant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How bad was your diet before carnivore that eating meat makes you shit yourself?

Go join a Carnivore group on Facebook or something of the like.

You wanna talk about some blow-hard T-totalers?

Jesus.

Some of them act like they'll leave a trail of diarrhea around the grocery store if they just walk down the bread aisle.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had just gotten my first prescription eyeglasses when I first tried Keto. After about a month I didn't need them anymore. I have never come across anyone else to back up my theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quit wearing glasses, vision is crystal clear and I blame the glasses on cholesterol or blood sugar.

Jordan Peterson claims his vision got better and his floaters disappeared on Carnivore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Go join a Carnivore group on Facebook or something of the like.

You wanna talk about some blow-hard T-totalers?

Jesus.

Some of them act like they'll leave a trail of diarrhea around the grocery store if they just walk down the bread aisle.
View Quote
I can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking. That's just as bad, IMHO, as the crazy vegan mentality. Even though I call myself carnivore, if I want an avocado, I'll eat an avocado. Same goes for nuts. However, I know there will be some consequences, usually bloating & gas. I ate some broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots from a veggie try last month. For 3 days, I had the walking farts and looked like I was pregnant, but I got better

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#27]
OK. This post caused me to research carnivore for the past couple of days. I need to lose weight and get off depression meds. So........I started today with what I had on hand. Ill head to the butcher tomorrow.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled 3 slices bacon.
Lunch: 2 1/2 lb beef patties topped with a fried egg and a slice of sharp cheddar.
Dinner: A carton of organic chicken bone broth with pan fried boneless chicken thighs as a soup.
           I used the rendered bacon fat from breakfast  to fry the thighs and poured the whole thing into the broth.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How old are you? That's actually pretty interesting.

I'm 41 and still not wearing them. I haven't had a vision test though, unless you count whatever they do at the DMV (which I just did a few weeks ago - it was easy).
View Quote

I'll be 54 in a few weeks. Still no glasses.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Question: I'm considering the carnivore diet, but it seems a bit extreme to me. Is there like a carnivore "light" version where I can have some basic raw vegetables and fruit, but still get most of my calories from meat, or is it all or nothing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been carnivore for 3 years.
Lost 120lbs. COVID hit and I’ve gained 20 back. Not going to the gym sucks.

I eat meat, eggs, cheese, and butter.
I allow myself one cheat day every 3 weeks. So if I go out to a sushi restaurant or want a pizza, I indulge.

Occasionally I will do a beef and butter fast. Just cow and cow accessories.

Never felt better, my back pain is gone.

Starting the diet blows. The keto flu is a motherfucker.  
Cholesterol has never been better.
I’d say the only issue I have is water retention with pork products.   I eat a lot of bacon and sausage. It can accumulate water.

Anyone have questions for a 3 year carnivore?

Question: I'm considering the carnivore diet, but it seems a bit extreme to me. Is there like a carnivore "light" version where I can have some basic raw vegetables and fruit, but still get most of my calories from meat, or is it all or nothing?

That would be like a low carb keto.  That’s what the wife does.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I will say this. If you’re eating grass fed beef for the first time, it will probably taste different than the regular stuff you’d buy in a pack.

I’ve heard of people saying it tasted a little fishy. Grass and corn are broken down and stored differently.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Last year I did dirty Keto for 4-5 months, and transitioned into carnivore. We have dairy cattle, so I still consumed milk, cheese, etc. We also have chickens/ducks, so we ate lots of eggs too.

I lost 35 pounds, and when I went carnivore, I noticed that while my weight didn't change much, my body was changing. Seemed like my waist was getting smaller, while my arms/chest/etc. were getting larger.

I was also lifting a few times a week, just bench, squats, and deadlifts. I saw good gains when doing carnivore.

Then, some major crap went down at work and I started stress eating sugar and bread (donuts, pizza, etc.). Have been eating like crap since, and gained 25 pounds of fat back.

I plan to do a keto/carnivore "diet" again at some point. My problem is I'm addicted to sugar! LOL

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#32]
So I went into an Asian market today and bought my first fish! A whole mackerel. It looked like it came straight from the sea, had it's full body, face, eyes and everything. I watched a tutorial on how to filet them on youtube and then proceeded to try it on my kitchen counter. Cutting the filets off seemed to go pretty well. Although I think should have kept the knife blade flatter and more horizontal to the bone. But once the filets were off, I had a hard time doing the V cut to remove the spine bones. I kinda butchered it a little bit, but it still mostly looks good. I threw both filets onto a skillet, skin first, then flipped after 3 mins. Now they're on my dinner plate waiting to cool. I did have a little nibble of the skin, and MAN that tastes good!

EDIT/UPDATE:  Just ate them, and they were good, even though not pretty! Very oily fish, which is good since I need more fat macros. I might practice on one more fish before I demonstrate my newfound culinary skills to my gf! lol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No matter what the diet is, this is what everybody (well...most everybody) ends up doing after a while.

My strategy to combat this, is to not purchase that stuff. Ever.
View Quote
You can't eat what you don't have. I can't imagine how difficult it is for a keto/carnivore person to live with a non keto/carnivore SO.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You can't eat what you don't have. I can't imagine how difficult it is for a keto/carnivore person to live with a non keto/carnivore SO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No matter what the diet is, this is what everybody (well...most everybody) ends up doing after a while.

It’s a PITA.  

I don’t even eat keto or carnivore, but I eat a lot meat and very little to no bread, sugar, and bullshit.  

My wife will cook potatoes and rice with like 2 1/2 shrimp or something.

I’ll just not eat until I go back to work because those kinds of carbs make me so miserable I’m better off just being hungry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last year I did dirty Keto for 4-5 months, and transitioned into carnivore. We have dairy cattle, so I still consumed milk, cheese, etc. We also have chickens/ducks, so we ate lots of eggs too.

I lost 35 pounds, and when I went carnivore, I noticed that while my weight didn't change much, my body was changing. Seemed like my waist was getting smaller, while my arms/chest/etc. were getting larger.

I was also lifting a few times a week, just bench, squats, and deadlifts. I saw good gains when doing carnivore.

Then, some major crap went down at work and I started stress eating sugar and bread (donuts, pizza, etc.). Have been eating like crap since, and gained 25 pounds of fat back.

I plan to do a keto/carnivore "diet" again at some point. My problem is I'm addicted to sugar! LOL

Ha! We had people brining us the stuff at work! It was a super high stress situation, and we were working 14+ hour days for weeks. People kept bringing us food, and it was hard (impossible) to stick to my diet. After a couple weeks, I was hooked again. LOL.

F Ransomeware...

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So why did you buy the unhealthy bullshit the next time you went to the grocery store? Did somebody bring it to your house, too?

I'm the Excuse EliminatorTM. It's what I do.
View Quote

Like I said, I was hooked

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Fad diets are fucking stupid. Just stop eating so damned much. It isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, I'm going Carnivore, and my gf is a vegetarian, lololol. She does eat fish or dairy once in a rare blue moon, so she's not strict.

But we live 3 miles from one another, so it's all good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm in IT (it sounds like you are as well?), and I know the feeling. I had quit smoking cold turkey for 3 months (hardest thing I had ever done, up until that point...fucking brutal). Then...some shit went sideways at work, and I was up for 2 days straight unfucking it. In a moment of weakness, I bummed a cigarette. That pretty much destroyed 3 months of effort in 3 minutes. I ended up buying a pack eventually (seeing a pattern? ), and...that was that.

I got better (I quit smoking in July 2019).
View Quote

Good to hear you're human too

Yes, IT as well. I assumed you were by your username.

Good deal on being smoke free for 1+ now. I used to smoke also, only time I want one bad is when I'm a few bourbons/beers deep. I still partake when I'm with friends that smoke, but I don't have any issues with wanting to start up daily again.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fad diets are fucking stupid. Just stop eating so damned much. It isn't that hard.
View Quote

I agree on the fad diets, but not all food is equal.  

2,000 calories of sandwiches and chips is not gonna take you as far as 2,000 calories of steak.  

A person can generally eat a 1K cal meal consisting of mostly carbs and be snacking again in a couple of hours and hungry as a horse in 4-5 hours as the carbs wear off.

Eat  1K cal of little to no carbs and you’ll have some brief hunger pangs a few hours later and when that subsides, you’ll feel fine for the rest of the day.  

When people crash on carbs it literally feels like you’re starving to death RFN and will be just about in a panic to eat as much as you can of whatever is available.

Not everyone is like that.  My wife can eat a little oatmeal and a banana and be good to go all day.

Me?  I’m fuckin’ dyin’ a hour or so later and by lunch I can’t think straight I’m so hungry.   If I skip breakfast and just eat something low carb for lunch I feel fine all day.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Welp, just woke up. Made clams for the first time in my life last night. That was SOOOO good. I'm definitely adding shell fish to my regular diet, like forever. I've completed day 2 of my carnivore diet, and I don't feel bad at all. No diarrhea or anything. When does this supposed "keto flu" kick in? I've been dreading it, but I havn't experienced anything aside from less frequent and smaller bowel movements. Might have to go pick up some metamucil or something. But no sickness, no lethargy, headaches or whatever else. Am I doing something wrong? I'm not eating any plant based foods. I do admit, I had a craving for some gatorade yesterday while at the market, but I havn't had any.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Welp, just woke up. Made clams for the first time in my life last night. That was SOOOO good. I'm definitely adding shell fish to my regular diet, like forever. I've completed day 2 of my carnivore diet, and I don't feel bad at all. No diarrhea or anything. When does this supposed "keto flu" kick in? I've been dreading it, but I havn't experienced anything aside from less frequent and smaller bowel movements. Might have to go pick up some metamucil or something. But no sickness, no lethargy, headaches or whatever else. Am I doing something wrong? I'm not eating any plant based foods. I do admit, I had a craving for some gatorade yesterday while at the market, but I havn't had any.
View Quote

I never got diarrhea when doing carnivore. My biggest complaint during carnivore was that I seemed to go very little. My routine of going after coffee went away also. My wife said it was because my body was actually using more of what I was eating. I think the fact that we consume fresh dairy helped with the stool consistency.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't consume much dairy. Maybe some cheese once in a blue moon or some Greek Yogurt. I wonder if a fiber supplement would be okay. After all, most of it is insoluble fiber that just passes through you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't consume much dairy. Maybe some cheese once in a blue moon or some Greek Yogurt. I wonder if a fiber supplement would be okay. After all, most of it is insoluble fiber that just passes through you.
View Quote
It's just me, but I take 500-1000 mg of magnesium before bed. Kicks in right after coffee.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top