Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/21/2022 11:15:58 AM EDT
What year do you have? How do you like it? Any issues? Any features you wish yours had? And weak points on the truck that need to be watched out for?

Not concerned about MPG personally. Been shopping around for a used crewmax 4x4 with a budget of around $30,000. Most likely will have a 2014 or 2015.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2010 and tow my 5th wheel with no problem. Love the truck and most likely is the last truck I will ever buy
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a tall order for that budget. Have you looked around at the used prices? In my AO, a high mileage used Tundra in your year range is 35+K
The used car market is quite the sellers market at the moment. If you can wait, it will benefit you!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2017 crewmax, 4x4, 5.7 SR5 trim.

It's is a great, low frills truck that is dependable. I think even platinum trim doesn't put the Tundra close to even the shit tier GM and Fords as far as gadgetry if that's what you're in to.

I like it because it's a truck I'm not afraid to use as a truck because it's not so overly nice. Nothing negative to report other than yes the gas mileage is bad but I'd rather have this V8 than the new turbo 6 for now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2019 4wd SR5 doublecab.
I got it because my kids wouldn't fit the backseat of my suicide door taco anymore. I looked at a newer 4 door taco but it was too small for them to be comfortable on long road trips, I also wanted a 6.5' bed.

The only thing that bugs me is how much it squats when I have a trailer. I'm going to put airbags on the rear axle to help.

I get 15 mph in the city and up to 18 if I drive reasonable on state highways. But I'm going to put 35"s on soon and that may change. I want to avoid a body mount chop if possible. I'd hate to dick with the frame to get bigger tires.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#5]
2020 crew max 4x4. 16.4 mpg on current tank.

36000 miles no issues other than needs an alignment. The only thing I don’t like is the auto down shifting at times so I drive it in S6 setting most of the time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I did, but sold it for a vastly better truck, F250 6.7L Powerstroke
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I put 180k miles on a used 2010 and sold it with 245k on the clock.  Did all my own work on it.

The fuel pump will burn out if you run the tank low. The pump itself is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Replacements are $1300 installed.

The transmission fluid needs “exchanged” every 80-100k. When the fluid breaks down it will shutter between shifts and feel like you are driving over rumble strips.

The emissions systems on startup will shit the bed eventually. It’s not needed for the truck and there is a company that sells all the bypass harnesses for a few hundred dollars. If you plan on keeping the truck, install these ahead of time to avoid an unplanned limp mode and repair.

Buy a dongle to run techstream. It will allow you to adjust any parameters on the factory cpu, activate the alarm, program new keys, turn off seatbelt chimes, pull codes, etc.

Keep an eye on the water pump, I never had an issue but it seams to be a common item. Replacement is not difficult. Alternator and starters are a headache to replace but not a common failure point. Cryogenic treated rotors and Hawk LTS pads for any brake replacement.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
2012 Crewmax 4x4
195k miles
Replaced the water pump around 90k, other than that its only been maintenance items.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a tall order for that budget. Have you looked around at the used prices? In my AO, a high mileage used Tundra in your year range is 35+K
The used car market is quite the sellers market at the moment. If you can wait, it will benefit you!
View Quote

True enough the market is crazy, but I’ve got my old 4runner listed and will probably sell it for close to the same price I paid for it 10 years ago.

A $30,000 budget has quite a few options for tundras year 2014 to 2015 with about 100-120,000 miles. I need a crew max and 4X4 as my main requirements due to kids and snow.

Private market has similar options for around $25,000
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
2019 Crewmax 4x4 Sport

Love it. Traded up from a 2017 Tacoma. I enjoyed the tacoma but needed room for two car seats. This has plenty of room.

I don't have any complaints so far, but I do have some tips.

The ABS system checks itself on startup. When you put it in drive and reach 5mph, you'll hear a thump or quick groan that sounds like its from the front drivers side. Nothing to worry about, but I didn't know about it and drove me crazy looking for a problem.

The fuel pump randomly runs. Theres a reason for it, but don't be alarmed if you walk in your garage at 2am and hear a whining noise from the fuel tank.

I was told by a tech that waterpump should be replaced around 90k. Valve springs at 300k.

There is a aftermarket aluminum oil filter housing to replace the plastic one.

Evap system pump runs at startup for a second. I didn't know there was a delete, so thanks to the above poster!

If you turn traction control off and tow/haul on it easily burns the tires over!

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#11]
2017, 5.7L 4x4, standard cab longbed. No issues except the battery last summer. Iv'e towed 5-6k lb  trailers with it , it does fine , loaded the bed up 1000- 1500lbs it handles that fine. No, it's not an F250-350  but for the things Ive done it works great.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2019 Crewmax 4x4 Sport

Love it. Traded up from a 2017 Tacoma. I enjoyed the tacoma but needed room for two car seats. This has plenty of room.

I don't have any complaints so far, but I do have some tips.

The ABS system checks itself on startup. When you put it in drive and reach 5mph, you'll hear a thump or quick groan that sounds like its from the front drivers side. Nothing to worry about, but I didn't know about it and drove me crazy looking for a problem.

The fuel pump randomly runs. Theres a reason for it, but don't be alarmed if you walk in your garage at 2am and hear a whining noise from the fuel tank.

I was told by a tech that waterpump should be replaced around 90k. Valve springs at 300k.

There is a aftermarket aluminum oil filter housing to replace the plastic one.

Evap system pump runs at startup for a second. I didn't know there was a delete, so thanks to the above poster!

If you turn traction control off and tow/haul on it easily burns the tires over!

View Quote

FYI if you need the bypass system.

https://hewitt-tech.com/

I have had really good experience working with them and any support or questions you might run into.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]
2016. 70k miles. Changed the battery once. Otherwise no issues. 15-16 mpg combined

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 2017, it is a 4.6, SR5, 4x4, it is that matte tan color.

Been reliable, average 17.5 combined mpg, rides well & does all the homeowner-stuff I need.  I don’t tow though.

I recommend it.  Put 300K on my last one before the salt ate it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
2021 TRD Pro Lunar Rock. No complaints so far.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a 2014, no problems ever, until I smoked a deer at 70mph.  I now have a 2019 Limited TRD

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine is too new, a ‘21, to know about problems.  6k miles, no complaints yet.  I like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a '21 TRD Pro. I love it. I wish it had a back up sensor (it does have camera). I also wish the entertainment package was better (wasn't updated for several years and it's primitive). Blind spot indication mirrors would be nice too. Oh, and some bed lights...
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]
2013 daily, 125k miles, 5.7.

2wd
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I did until last year.

2012 Crewmax SR5 leather added and Rock Warrior goodies.

I had to change a light bulb once in 90k miles (60k-150k) that I owned it. Good truck, terrible payload rating, bad mpgs, built like a tank, boringly reliable, was starting to show a little rust at 8 years old in Ohio.

I did have to replace both lower control arms when I leveled it because the alignment shop could get the adjustment cams to break loose (rust).

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#22]
'19 TRD Pro, no issues, love the thing. Crew Max rear window is neat.
Had '13 Rock Warrior and a '16 TRD Pro Previously [son totaled it]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a ‘16 Platinum. It was ok. I started having transmission problems so I got rid of it. Horrible fuel economy when towing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I drive a 2018 Crewmax Limited TRD.  I am waiting on a 2022 TRD Pro.

No complaints. The truck has been mint.  I am upgrading for improved mileage.  

I had a 2014 before this one.  Limited Crewmax.  I had a wheel bearing fail at 50K and the bumper sensors had to be replaced shortly after.

I liked it well enough to get another one with a slightly different package and the larger fuel tank upgrade.

I would suggest you get a model year that offers the 38 gallon tank.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#25]
wait until the 2022's have all the bugs worked out of them...then the trade ins might be coming in.

I have a 2021 Limited I like it OK...wish it had a 6ft bed though...but like the roomy crew max and it will haul a moderate trailer just fine for my needs.

Downsized from 3/4 to a 1/2 ton just don't do enough hauling...
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had a 2014, no problems ever, until I smoked a deer at 70mph.  I now have a 2019 Limited TRD
https://i.imgur.com/Zp9XkXN.jpg
View Quote

What topper/cap you got there...looks good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm still daily driving my '05 Tundra. V-8, Auto, 2WD, 220K+ miles. No problems ever.

I hope to get 30 years out of my Tundra.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#28]
In the past I've had a 2011 and 2017, both were solid, no problems.  

I just got an F150 and honestly, I sometimes wish I got the Tundra.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Driving a 2015 prerunner. It has been the perfect truck so far. 115k miles.

I keep it well maintained and only use mobile 1 synthetic. Planning to keep it five more years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Just traded my 2014 last month. Like others have said, they tend to be tough on brakes. I also had to replace a broken rear spring. Beyond that I put 140,000 miles on it pretty much all trouble free. Around town in the winter it was getting around 12mpg. Highway could get up to 17-18mpg.
One thing I didn’t like was that if you had to change a head light, you had to pull the grill apart to do it. The market is nuts right now for trucks. I ended up getting almost 20k for a trade in value on mine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#31]
2019 Crewmax Sport here.  Mine is the year they removed the transmission air cooler and driver side grab handle.  There is a TSP about 19-21 year models having the trans temp light come on while towing.  To remedy that they adjust the parameters for it to turn on.  Brakes are the biggest issue I've run into.  The factory rotors are known to warp quickly.  I do tow a travel trailer with it, and have been fortunate to not have the temp light kick on or the trailer disconnect issue that my buddy's 2018 had.  The truck needs to have an update for that as the electric trailer brakes don't work when its "disconnected."  I was going to be fine with a black XSP package, but my wife refused to have chrome, so we ended up with the sport edition.  I came with 38 gal fuel tank, rear cross traffic sensors, lane departure and a bunch of the other safety stuff.  There are a ton of mods available for the 2nd gen if it's missing something you want.  I did a front camera, bed lights, bed rail stiffeners, sumo springs, and a ton of things that I forgot until someone points out that they don't have it.  There is a 1 million mile Tundra that Toyota bought back from the owner to inspect and the 5.7 engine was still resalable.  We also have a first gen (05) that is pushing 160,000 miles and it's had no issues.  It is definitely a smaller truck, but worth looking into if your kids aren't going to be huge.  The aftermarket is lacking for them though.  I wouldn't get rid of either, even with me being able to make money in the current market.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Zp9XkXN.jpg

Really does look good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#33]
2014 crewmax platinum. I’ve had a few small issues but nothing major that has left me on the side of the road. Replaced battery, had drivers door lock solenoid replaced and now the passenger side started shitting the bed a couple years ago but I hardly use that door anyways. When it’s cold….it works like a charm. The warmer it gets, the more problems I have with it which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Brakes shutter like hell. Turned, replaced rotors but still does it. Gonna upgrade brakes soon. I have heard the sliding pins on the calipers can get sticky which can cause that.

Needs a reprogram. When cold starting it, it will sputter a little before it smooths out. Has to do something with the computer and it detecting ethanol, or so I’m told. Only does it on cold starts. Once it warms up, it starts fine all day long.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
wait until the 2022's have all the bugs worked out of them...then the trade ins might be coming in.

I have a 2021 Limited I like it OK...wish it had a 6ft bed though...but like the roomy crew max and it will haul a moderate trailer just fine for my needs.

Downsized from 3/4 to a 1/2 ton just don't do enough hauling...
View Quote

Won’t be doing any towing.

Stupid question: are tonneau covers waterproof? Can I toss my hunting pack in the back or should it be in its own container?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Won’t be doing any towing.

Stupid question: are tonneau covers waterproof? Can I toss my hunting pack in the back or should it be in its own container?
View Quote

Caps and covers are more water resistant. Most will let some water in, but typically not much
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
2013 tundra 27k miles.Drove it to Wyoming with trailer and atv,utv 3 times for most of the miles.Has not been in the shop except for a couple recalls on them.Love it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Learning a lot here.  Thanks.  

I changed my 2018 crew max platinum.
1.  Tinted windows
2.  Bed cover.   This has been a game changer.  
3.  I put a bed step in.  Really helps with my knees.

I’d like to de-tune the engine a bit if it helps with mpg.  Otherwise no further plans.  

I’ve read about changing the horns out to something massive, but I ain’t gonna do it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#38]
'21 SR5 Crewmax TRD Off-road 4x4 with 10K miles on it so far. Great truck! I have the cloth seats and they are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle. Negative is that my trim doesn't have a memory preset for my wife. Radio is nice, but the high end unit in our Highlander limited is a little better sounding. Love the dash layout. Easily reachable and where it all should be. Dislike the fact that when I shut the damper to the floor I still get some air coming through the dash vents and it continuously dries my contacts out. I mentioned it and I think they're going to tear out my dash the next visit to try to fix it. Currently having issues with Android Auto. Worked great for awhile, but now shuts off intermittently. Switched cords and I'm getting same bullshit. Dealership claims it's my phone, but I've recently tried other phones and it's still doing it.

Tons of power and I'm getting 16 around town and 18 hwy. Not bad for a V8 pickup. Check Fuelly for real world mpg numbers btw.

All in all a great vehicle. Would buy again. Sharp looking truck and I trust it mechanically 100%
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm still daily driving my '05 Tundra. V-8, Auto, 2WD, 220K+ miles. No problems ever.

I hope to get 30 years out of my Tundra.

Accountant
View Quote

05 here also.

2UZ-FE master race.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What year do you have? How do you like it? Any issues? Any features you wish yours had? And weak points on the truck that need to be watched out for?

Not concerned about MPG personally. Been shopping around for a used crewmax 4x4 with a budget of around $30,000. Most likely will have a 2014 or 2015.
View Quote

Had a 2020 Platinum. Got rid of it. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but some idiot offered me $6k more than I paid after a year and a half and 20k miles, so off it went.

No transmission cooler and the fluid isn't serviceable. The back seat floor has an unnecessary hump, which sucks. No 360 camera. Weak tailgate with no cool step or anything. Rear leaf springs designed for a passenger truck, itnqould squat with 100lbs in the back. Sat low to ground for a 4x4. Perfectly fine transmission and engine... for a 2010 model year truck.

I wouldn't buy a new one again. If I were in the market for a 10 year old truck, I'd certainly pick the Tubdra. Otherwise, no.

And yes I realize the 2022 is a complete redesign. They're basically catching up to Ford's 2015 lineup at this point. Toyota really shit the bed when it comes to designing a 2022 half ton truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a 2019 SR5 4x4 crew cab. 50k miles, no issues to report. My previous truck was a 2012 F-150; it had issues like needing the computer re-flashed due to the transmission shifting really hard at parking lot speeds, vacuum hubs had leaks, etc.

My Tundra has had none of that at all. Zero problems.

I bought one because I’ve known several people who are absolute HELL on trucks that have put close to 300k miles on Tundras and not had any problems. They’re a good, solid no-frills truck. I could care less about the bells and whistles of the domestic makes; give me simplicity and reliability any day of the week.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]
2007... first year of the current style.  150,000 miles on it, with a lot of that towing about 8,500 pounds of camper trailer up and down the eastern states, Maine, Florida and anywhere in between.  Water pump went at 60,000, but that's been the only non-maintenance expense so far. (Knock on wood)  I hope I can be buried in this bitch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I did, but sold it for a vastly better truck, F250 6.7L Powerstroke
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#44]
2013 4.6 SR5 with about 105k on it.  No major mechanical issues, only routine maintenance and replaced the front and rear brakes.  The power rear window did shit out on me, not a biggie as I didn't use it much, but is something that broke on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a 2015.

Bought it in early 2020 before things went nuts for 25K

It has 50,000 on it now which isn't much. I had to put tires on it and replace the battery.

It's the double cab with a 6.5' box. Limited trim with leather interior.

It's a nice truck, but it is not a Ford, the interior is pretty spartan, it rides like a 20 year old design, it burns gas like it's going out of style.

We get severe weather here, like 20 to 30 below zero, it's never let me down. It tows alright and the payload rating is a joke, I piled the bed full of limestone several times, drive across town with 4000# of rock in the bed.... no problem.

I will probably drive it until the wheels fall off or they make gasoline illegal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 2007 doublecab SR5 TSS.   4.7 engine.  93K.  Poor mpg also.  The last engine with a timing belt.  Replaced it about 90K as recommended although dealer said he had never seen one fail.  Installed and entertainment system and a backup camera.  The backup camera is integrated into the tailgate handle.  The only issue I have had is the TPMS.  The light stays.  I have researched it and the fix seems to be to replace components until the light goes out.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Have a 13 crewmax.  Bought it because they made it ugly in 14.  

My biggest gripes are how thin the door sheetmetal feels, the dashboard has no central support so on a washboard road it flaps like crazy, and the only diff ratio was 4.55s.  I also dislike that there's no neutral in the transfer case.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Love my 02.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a '21 TRD Pro. I love it. I wish it had a back up sensor (it does have camera). I also wish the entertainment package was better (wasn't updated for several years and it's primitive). Blind spot indication mirrors would be nice too. Oh, and some bed lights...
View Quote

Mine has back up sensors, blind side indicators and warning as well as bed lights? You sure you don't have everything turned off?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top