BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never understood why the F-14 got so much attention when the F-15 did far more damage to the enemy.  I suppose if Top Gun had been an Air Force movie things might be different
View Quote

Goose would still be alive.

Talk to me, Goose.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I was a kid, but I also remember reading about how the Phoenix missile system could hit targets 100 miles away. (Apparently a big deal for the time.)

I don't know why that's the first thing I think of when I hear F14...
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was a kid, but I also remember reading about how the Phoenix missile system could hit targets 100 miles away. (Apparently a big deal for the time.)

View Quote
And the Phoenix missile was originally developed for the YF-12 Blackbird program:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-54_Phoenix
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never understood why the F-14 got so much attention when the F-15 did far more damage to the enemy.  I suppose if Top Gun had been an Air Force movie things might be different
View Quote

There was an air force movie called Red Flag that predated Top Gun if I remember correctly.  It wasn't as good a Top Gun though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One gets shot down in red Dawn.
View Quote

It was 5 to 1. I got 4.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There was an air force movie called Red Flag that predated Top Gun if I remember correctly.  It wasn't as good a Top Gun though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that movie and yes I remember it being kind if lame.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Homoerotic volleyball montages just aren't as fun with the f35.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What a bargain, three for a trillion!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
F18's and F35's are not good replacements for  an air superiority fighter or an all weather attack plane (A6 intruder)

If it ever comes to war in the South China Sea, we will be hamstrung

If we go to war with China, their aircraft are the least of our problems.

Even if you believe the zipper suits, that Chinese shit planes are scary, we spent $62 Billion on the F22 for air superiority, and are about to spend a bunch more to update it already. Then we  spent a trillion dollars on the F35 as a stealth strike aircraft. This was all done mostly in the name of China. If that money doesn't buy you the capability to defeat China...There's no amount of money or additional systems that our corrupt procurement could produce that will. China spends about $150 Billion a year on defense in total. We spent about 7 years of their entire defense budget on two stealth planes.
4 planes.

The F-35 A B and C are three different planes with some parts commonalities.

What a bargain, three for a trillion!

Sure, three.  Or 2,400 if you are going to be truthful.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Jeez....no one mentions Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis for the success?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can't have a F-14 thread without some Final Countdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M74yB9duRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gng2mRf8Ec4

And viewed with theme music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBXbQSu0UOo

Other than Top Gun I bet The Final Countdown was the first time the general public ever got a good look at the F-14.....I was impressed.....Sexy Beast.
View Quote
Final countdown was 1980.  Top Gun was 1987 or maybe 88.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't have a F-14 thread without some Final Countdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M74yB9duRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gng2mRf8Ec4

And viewed with theme music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBXbQSu0UOo

Other than Top Gun I bet The Final Countdown was the first time the general public ever got a good look at the F-14.....I was impressed.....Sexy Beast.

The best year of the 80s. After that, it was all downhill from there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]
that article is fluff military complex hunting for another couple billion.

the f-18 is holding its own well.  & the f-14 without Phoenix missiles is just a big expensive heavy zorester the Luftwaffe failed to make it is a proven war winner.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Just noticed a crap load of F-35's at the Davis-Monthan AFB graveyard. Why?

Test platforms?

Seems a tad early to have so many junked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just noticed a crap load of F-35's at the Davis-Monthan AFB graveyard. Why?
View Quote

There are no F-35's at Davis-Monthan.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are no F-35's at Davis-Monthan.
View Quote

That makes more sense 

I don't know my jets very well. Sorry those are F-15's. Didn't realize the F-15 had the similar cut away in the rear.

My bad.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The best year of the 80s. After that, it was all downhill from there.
View Quote
I agree, 1986 seems to be a pivotal year for all things good and some bad but mostly good.  I always thought it was just my own personal experience.

That said, late 80's were still better than anything since Trump got elected.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That capability is now something that the AIM-120 AMRAAM has.  In a smaller and cheaper missile that more than just one model of aircraft, unlike the exclusive F-14/AIM-54 combination.  Plus the AIM-120 can hit fighter-sized targets at 100 miles while the Phoenix was designed to take out bomber-sized targets that far out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Has this turned into a light attack aircraft thread yet?

And I'm not complaining; I can't get enough of those threads. It's like crack for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's the movie I'm thinking of (Red Flag The Ultimate Game), it was a 1981 made for TV movie starring Barry Bostwick as an F-4 pilot working to beat his buddy (William Devane) who was an Aggressor pilot.  Bostwick "invented" some super maneuver that the Aggressor F-5 couldn't follow (Yeah, right. LOL) and his buddy turned into a smoking hole in the ground.

Much made for TV angst by Bostwick that affects his marriage as his wife has come to Vegas to party with hubby while he's not flying.  Happy made for TV ending as crash investigation reveals his buddy did not die in vain as Bostwick did invent a super maneuver for F-4s fighting F-5s that will allow Phantoms to rule the skies against nations like Switzerland and other F-5 users. (Snarf. LOL)

The End.

There were a bunch of pissed off AF guys who sat through that waste of videotape expecting to see something worthwhile.  The only redeeming quality was some F-4 footage.

Here's a youtube link for anyone interested.
RED FLAG - the Ultimate Game - (Barry Bostwick - William Devane - Joan Van Ark)
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That, but I enjoyed violating AF girls more than most sailor girls. AF had prettier women on average.
View Quote

That is 100% true. I too enjoyed violating AF space
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If it's the movie I'm thinking of (Red Flag The Ultimate Game), it was a 1981 made for TV movie starring Barry Bostwick as an F-4 pilot working to beat his buddy (William Devane) who was an Aggressor pilot.  Bostwick "invented" some super maneuver that the Aggressor F-5 couldn't follow (Yeah, right. LOL) and his buddy turned into a smoking hole in the ground.

Much made for TV angst by Bostwick that affects his marriage as his wife has come to Vegas to party with hubby while he's not flying.  Happy made for TV ending as crash investigation reveals his buddy did not die in vain as Bostwick did invent a super maneuver for F-4s fighting F-5s that will allow Phantoms to rule the skies against nations like Switzerland and other F-5 users. (Snarf. LOL)

The End.

There were a bunch of pissed off AF guys who sat through that waste of videotape expecting to see something worthwhile.  The only redeeming quality was some F-4 footage.

Here's a youtube link for anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvZhrt2NBo
View Quote

Did William Devane try to sell gold during the movie?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That capability is now something that the AIM-120 AMRAAM has.  In a smaller and cheaper missile that more than just one model of aircraft, unlike the exclusive F-14/AIM-54 combination.  Plus the AIM-120 can hit fighter-sized targets at 100 miles while the Phoenix was designed to take out bomber-sized targets that far out.
View Quote

Cool, didn't know that.

Was the Phoenix the best thing flying when the F14 had it, or were there equally good systems on other aircraft at that time?

<--- Not an aircraft weapons guy, I know GAU-8 and Phoenix because they were a big part of those planes growing up, and hailed as amazing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Much as I love the F-14, there just isn't a mission requiring it these days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Bring back the F-14 with fully modernized systems new production!...and while were at it bring back the BBs....rails guns....dozens of giant rail guns!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cool, didn't know that.

Was the Phoenix the best thing flying when the F14 had it, or were there equally good systems on other aircraft at that time?

<--- Not an aircraft weapons guy, I know GAU-8 and Phoenix because they were a big part of those planes growing up, and hailed as amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, didn't know that.

At the time, Phoenix was the only system that could track and engage multiple targets simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

or did Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane put Devames arm in garbage disposal
when he refused to give up his silver dollar collection
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

One gets shot down in red Dawn.
View Quote
Yeah, but he got four.

Dang.  Beat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#30]
So... which capability are our forces lacking that they would have again with the Tomcat?

Stupid article is stupid.... the F-14 wasn't designed for ACM either, it was a missile-carrying interceptor that was forced into the "dogfighter" spot (in theory anyway) because of idiot ROE restrictions.

Reads like a typical Arfcom Air Force thread... muh rolling scissors... muh gunfighter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bring back the F-14 with fully modernized systems new production!...and while were at it bring back the BBs....rails guns....dozens of giant rail guns!
View Quote

And Lancers.  Lots and lots of lancers.  Because pointy sticks scare the bejessus out of every one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And Lancers.  Lots and lots of lancers.  Because pointy sticks scare the bejessus out of every one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancers...

-K
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

And modern Curtis Jennies.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Swept wings of F-14 is pure bad ass and Navy pilots land on a moving ship at night. I recall one Navy pilot saying that landing on an aircraft carrier at night is like placing a postage stamp on your living room floor and and then turning off the lights, and then running and leaping head first and hitting the stamp with your tongue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is probably a dumb question but why don't they create another rendition of the F-14, like F-14E, but with newer engines and electronics? There would be way less R&D to create it from start to finish. Or is that like putting a brand-new Ferrari engine in a Dodge Caravan mini-van from the 80s.
View Quote

The F-14 is a Flying Aluminum Cloud with a giant RCS.  It was too macho and had to be replaced with the Hipster F-35.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
My only true exposure to the F-14 was in the Top Gun movie. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we are going to bring back old stuff new, my vote is FB-111s with F-135-100 engines, 

and the air/ground radar of the F-35 but with the much larger radar dish available in an

F-111 nose cone.  Because why not.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Looks like it's waving.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The F-14 is a Flying Aluminum Cloud with a giant RCS.  It was too macho and had to be replaced with the Hipster F-35.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is probably a dumb question but why don't they create another rendition of the F-14, like F-14E, but with newer engines and electronics? There would be way less R&D to create it from start to finish. Or is that like putting a brand-new Ferrari engine in a Dodge Caravan mini-van from the 80s.

The F-18 replaced the Tomcat.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It was 5 to 1. I got 4.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Swept wings of F-14 is pure bad ass and Navy pilots land on a moving ship at night. I recall one Navy pilot saying that landing on an aircraft carrier at night is like placing a postage stamp on your living room floor and and then turning off the lights, and then running and leaping head first and hitting the stamp with your tongue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

and not quality
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron eagle was F-16

and not quality

Don't you dare speak of Doug Masters that way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Is that up to date?

No F-15s ever downed?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fucking alligator arm range hipsters.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your faces, what do they mean because an actual navy pilot said it. Can you refute his claim of difficulty based on your experience as a naval aviator?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your faces, what do they mean because an actual navy pilot said it. Can you refute his claim of difficulty based on your experience as a naval aviator?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but I just shared your quote with a former Naval Aviator I work with. He's single and been having a hard time getting laid lately. He admitted it's harder to find the wet spot on a semi attractive and willing single girl in Colorado, than to land on a Carrier at night.

If you want me to believe your source, I'm going to have to see him perform the feat he describes.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top