Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the best way to get cigarette smoke out of them? I have a ton from when I was a kid but my mom smokes and they are disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I want the Titanic lego so bad
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wrong.
View Quote

Some details would be helpful.......
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My family loves them too.  I played with them when I was a kid.  And my wife and I have been buying them for years and my daughter loves them. She has been building and playing with them forever. At one point when she was quite young we had worried she was a bit too hyperactive she just would not sit still for anything, but i knew it was just a phase because I had seen her using the directions and building the final objects of these kits by concentrating and focusing on them for hours. Good therapy, normal kids play.

We have gone to Legoland also, we really enjoied that.  We were able to get some good stuff there as well. I was trying to think what the last kit we bought her before she started growing out of it and it was the Friends resturant set. Totally cool.

We have 2 huge plastic bins full of Legos and a ton of accessories and I have tried to keep most of the instruction pamphlets. I will keep them all for grandchildren someday.

I tried to go through a few years back and count all the little figures we had and only going through one box I got to over 75. I put them in large zip lock bags as well. Looking at some of the older ones was cool. The knights were my favorite but I also liked the scuba guys too. These are not the stand alone mini figs there were selling.  We also have a whole box full of those as well. I never got back to counting the other bin, but one day I need to get back to that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Injection molds wear out.

Pressures required to force hot plastic into small spaces with no mold lines are intense.

Lego Group has produced billions of bricks over the years and they’re constantly refurbishing or replacing their injection molds. They have to be in order to maintain the ridiculous tolerances required for their bricks to snap together repeatedly for years without failing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can’t even imagine the quality assurance that goes into Lego manufacturing. I’ve seen writeups by outstanding engineers that flat out state they don’t understand how Lego can do it for the price they do. The dimensional tolerances are absurdly tight, and they maintain it over millions upon millions of parts every hour of every day.
View Quote

They used to be my client. That company is so well run, they were like a swiss watch. Their interview process was grueling and they pay employees way above market rates, and it was extremely rare for people to leave or go to a competitor.

Their staff truly love their jobs, most of them anyway. Their office was AMAZING.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Four pages, a no one has pointed out that a Lego man head fits perfectly into the case mouth of a 10mm?

And .40 by extension, I suppose.

ETA: look at the molding of the Glock magazine, and the molding on the Lego heads.
That right there is the reason Lego stuff remains expensive. Their QC and consistency is insane.
A Lego piece from 1977 will fit perfectly with a piece off the assembly line in 2022.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You think Lego are expensive?

Check their kits out - https://www.brickmania.com/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You think Lego are expensive?

Check their kits out - https://www.brickmania.com/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/357607/mh53_jpg-2499909.JPG
View Quote

Those are real LEGO products.  So you have the cost of LEGO pieces, plus Brickmania's design costs, packaging costs and custom printing/decals.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So what are the current sleeper sets to buy and hold unopened ?
View Quote

Ideas sets
Speed Champions
Bugatti Chiron
Friends
Sesame Street

If you are buying and holding it is like stocks but less liquid. Time in market, not timing the market. You sell along the way. Typically most sets go up, but nothing is guaranteed. Lego could always, one day, fall out of favor. And then you better like what you're stockpiling. Hasn't happened yet and they continue crushing profits. Secondary continues recruiting new sellers however.  You'd think one day, the party might stop.

Everyone can't seem to get enough of the damn things, though.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
They’ve always been super expensive… they were a once a year item at Christmas and or a birthday for a reason

Guess you also never heard of warhammer
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the best way to get cigarette smoke out of them? I have a ton from when I was a kid but my mom smokes and they are disgusting.
View Quote
Uv light and peroxide. I did it on my old NES it works.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2020/06/restoring-discolored-lego-bricks/
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get LEGO's entire parts set on SolidWorks, for those that are so inclined to use it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Like others have said, they’ve always been expensive, and they’ve always been awesome. I remember the Star Destroyer being around $350 back in 2004 or so. Not chump change now and it certainly wasn’t then.

Edit: And apparently it would be worth $2,000 now if I had never opened it, wtf. No ragerts though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Part of it is the quality of the plastic used iirc. Manufacturing and packaging is largely automated, so labor is not a big factor.
View Quote

Meh. When I was a kid growing up in the 70’s legos were just a big box of building blocks with a couple of windows and a door and maybe a roof thrown in for good measure. Our imaginations made them awesome toys, not the “quality of plastic” which was irrelevant and not much different than what they make now.

Lincoln Logs were more specialized and made in specific types of kits. I had the Lincoln Log ranch and the Lincoln Log Revolutionary War set, but Legos were just boxes of blocks.

My son has several thousand dollars worth of Legos. I’m not kidding. We spent a fortune on them. But they’re overpriced. They’re a gimmick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I run them through the washing machine. Use laundry bags for delicate clothes. Oxi clean, vinegar, and a little detergent. NO BLEACH AT ALL.

Discolored/yellowed stuff put in a hydrogen peroxide bath and leave in the sun. Stir it around to get them evenly baked in the uv rays

And I sort my lego before washing in the machine, no figs, large fragile parts, clear panels etc. Minimal dark red pieces as they have issues with breakage from bad plastic
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Lego price experts, what do you think is the value of these Star Wars sets? It's a messed up lot but some have boxes

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lego price experts, what do you think is the value of these Star Wars sets? It's a messed up lot but some have boxes

https://i.imgur.com/G7my8wh.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/PDYzXYg/299401597-1432767353909548-6776258153506595955-n.jpg
View Quote

@jackthom8

Put the set numbers in this website. Click on the price guide. It shows what they have been selling for in used condition. Also shows the current asking price.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@jackthom8

Put the set numbers in this website. Click on the price guide. It shows what they have been selling for in used condition. Also shows the current asking price.

View Quote

thanks, why do the prices seem to differ from ebay though? The prices can alternate wildly
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meh. When I was a kid growing up in the 70’s legos were just a big box of building blocks with a couple of windows and a door and maybe a roof thrown in for good measure. Our imaginations made them awesome toys, not the “quality of plastic” which was irrelevant and not much different than what they make now.
View Quote

lol yeah can't do much with your imagination with the current bricks..

Huge LEGO Castle with Amazing Full Interior – Dungeon Torture Chamber, Throne Room, Armory & More!

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

thanks, why do the prices seem to differ from ebay though? The prices can alternate wildly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jackthom8

Bricklink shows you what they’re listed for on their site. Those prices IMO are more accurate from a retail perspective. eBay is a whole different animal and driven by people willing to pay more. More hazards to doing business on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Danes have always been greedy bastards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably the condition of the set. Missing minifigures/pieces/stickers etc. The minifigures especially and maybe any specialized pieces are the main worth. If you click on the individual sets that sold or are for sale on Bricklink it tells you the specific condition and what is included.

*not an expert

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone has heard of eBay, you can buy or sell almost anything. Larger buyer pool, possibly better sales numbers. And prices can get crazy. Also wysiwyg - you are buying that actual item a lot of times, with collectible lego that’s a big deal being able to verify condition.

Bricklink is lego only. Period. Smaller buyer pool. Lots of people never heard of it. Buyers and sellers are typical lego enthusiasts and prices are less gougey, your also looking at prices that may or may not be complete sealed sets. Lots of new sets might seem to sell dirt cheap on bricklink because they strip out the mini figs and sell them separately. And used sets vary in condition and completeness, therefore price differences. Also you don’t get wysiwyg on bricklink unless your in contact with the seller for photos or information on the condition of parts, or specify condition in the notes section.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#25]
And to show values of stuff - this a common part in older sets. Black is worth about .10 - while the blue is about $18 each average sold price. Blue only came in exactly 1 set ever - the skulls eye schooner, and they were easy to loose, and that set was always and still is very desirable now.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I would really like the new castle Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jackthom8

Same reason that sets will sell for more on Amazon then eBay, people are dumb.  People seem to associate where they are buying something from as the ultimate deal.  They atomatically think "oh, I'm buying from Amazon so it must be cheaper", when that is rarely the case with LEGO.  Something I can sell on Bricklink for $100, will sell on eBay for $110 and Amazon for $150.  Bricklink also doesn't get the traffic other sites do, plus has lower seller fees so sellers don't need to ask as much.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I still have most of my sets from when I was a kid.  Black knights, space police, blacktron ll, pirates, boats, and a few cowboy sets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I still have most of my sets from when I was a kid.  Black knights, space police, blacktron ll, pirates, boats, and a few cowboy sets.
View Quote

I wish I still had my first LEGO set. My aunt bought my brother and sisters and I a LEGO set when they were first available, and new in the US, back in 1959 or 1960. It was nothing more than plain blocks. Your imagination was the most important part. IMO, LEGO's have become dumbed down.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of those can be worth a ton of money if mostly complete.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can’t even imagine the quality assurance that goes into Lego manufacturing. I’ve seen writeups by outstanding engineers that flat out state they don’t understand how Lego can do it for the price they do. The dimensional tolerances are absurdly tight, and they maintain it over millions upon millions of parts every hour of every day.
View Quote

Yep. They are absurdly well made little plastic bricks.

Most plastic toys from my childhood are faded and brittle by now. Lego? Still look, feel, and function like they are brand new.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#32]
WORLD'S LARGEST Lego Star Wars Build! - Starkiller Base [4K]
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep. They are absurdly well made little plastic bricks.

Most plastic toys from my childhood are faded and brittle by now. Lego? Still look, feel, and function like they are brand new.
View Quote

Newer lego bricks aren't as strong as the old ones though. I always find broken pieces from newer lego wholesale lots, very rarely in the older ones from the 80s and 90s. They did something with the plastic in the 2000s to make it less durable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Lego for some reason loaded my VIP account with $120 worth of points. Some kind of points return? I dunno. But I will be buying that set with the next double vip or decent promo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#35]

My brother just built that. It's pretty freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I want the Titanic lego so bad
View Quote

@talontsi_95

It's back available for backorder from Lego directly - now's your chance to pick it up before the second hand prices soar back over $1000.

Pretty easy to find now for $900 on the secondary market, beats the $1500 I was seeing a few months back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#37]
When I bought it:

Where it is today:

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Denmark-based management and design team probably isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@talontsi_95

It's back available for backorder from Lego directly - now's your chance to pick it up before the second hand prices soar back over $1000.

Pretty easy to find now for $900 on the secondary market, beats the $1500 I was seeing a few months back.
View Quote

Ugggggg… just saw this and its back ordered again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys hate everything.

I fucking love Lego.

Just built the Ferrari Daytona to go with my Porsche, Bugatti and Lambo, and I have to repair my Colosseum after moving to Ohio. It got wrecked. I'm likewise afraid to open the box with my UCS Millennium Falcon to see how that fared.
Hey me too. Just got the new Galaxy Explorer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/953D75F5-54D7-41EF-B41D-F9517A2F0FEF_jpe-2499143.JPG

Wal Mart blew out of Galaxy Explorer sets, $75 each on Rollback. I grabbed the last one on the shelf at my local super center yesterday. Keep an eye out for restocks. Killer price on the set, especially if you’re looking to build one of the alternate models.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ugggggg… just saw this and its back ordered again.
View Quote

@talontsi_95 - it is, but says will ship in a little over a week, they were pretty accurate on that when I’ve used it before.

I want to actually build one of these with a lighting kit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wal Mart blew out of Galaxy Explorer sets, $75 each on Rollback. I grabbed the last one on the shelf at my local super center yesterday. Keep an eye out for restocks. Killer price on the set, especially if you’re looking to build one of the alternate models.
View Quote

Thanks, I need one of those.

The Lion’s Castle - I had the set it’s based on, but $400?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#43]
My family is pretty big on Lego, but I think they’re overreaching on this one.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#44]
1. They actually put work and effort into the design of their products. Anyone who has got a cheap Chinese knock off kit knows that shit falls apart in the first 5 minutes.
2. They almost went bankrupt and were saved by licensing DIsney products. That Rat has to get his cut now
3. Most of them are designed and made in Europe. Those taxes aren't going to pay themselves.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

IME, vehicles.

Speed Champions, City cars and trucks. They tend to be less expensive, and smaller format boxes make storing them easy. Once a model is discontinued, it’s not unheard of to sell for double or triple the original MSRP.

Ninjago sets do well too. Ninjago is a long-running theme with a network TV animated series as it’s primary marketing thrust.

Galaxy Explorer still has two years or more before retiring but it’ll be a big one. All of the retro sets for that matter, the castle, etc.

The Medieval Blacksmith (Ideas Theme) is likely facing retirement soon. That one will probably be a great seller on the secondary market.

Others can chime in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what are the current sleeper sets to buy and hold unopened ?

IME, vehicles.

Speed Champions, City cars and trucks. They tend to be less expensive, and smaller format boxes make storing them easy. Once a model is discontinued, it’s not unheard of to sell for double or triple the original MSRP.

Ninjago sets do well too. Ninjago is a long-running theme with a network TV animated series as it’s primary marketing thrust.

Galaxy Explorer still has two years or more before retiring but it’ll be a big one. All of the retro sets for that matter, the castle, etc.

The Medieval Blacksmith (Ideas Theme) is likely facing retirement soon. That one will probably be a great seller on the secondary market.

Others can chime in.

Star Wars sets are the biggest increase IME. But the larger UCS sets, not the small play based ones.

Edit: I sold in two batches. The first batch was Star Wars sets, those I don't have tracking numbers for. But the second batch was a bunch of different sets and those I do have numbers for:

(the number is what it sold for above original MSRP IE, Emerald Night was $99.99 and sold for $650)

6.510194Emerald Night
610196Grand Carousel
5.77939Cargo Train
5.110216Winter Village Bakery
4.67636Combine Harvester
4.510213Shuttle Adventure
4.110181Eiffel Tower
3.67997Train Station
3.57668Rebel Scout Speeder
3.47997Train Station
3.321303WALL-E
3.310193Medieval Market Village
3.210219Maersk Train
37189Mill Village Raid
34956House
2.910228Haunted House
2.710211Grand Emporium
2.610211Grand Emporium
2.210184Town Plan
210230Mini Modulars
1.870807MetalBeard's Duel
1.810155Maersk Line Container Ship
1.78404Public Transport
1.710189Tah Mahal
1.24428Advent Calendar
1.18968River Heist
121034London
0.910214Tower Bridge
0.970812Creative Ambush
0.921313Ship In a Bottle
0.876129Hydroman Attack

*Past performance may not be indicative of future results
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of it is the quality of the plastic used iirc. Manufacturing and packaging is largely automated, so labor is not a big factor.

You say that but if they only clicked together a few times and then got sloppy you'd have had way less fun.

It's incredibly telling that on the sets where Lego isn't paying license fees (star wars and cetera) Chinese knock off Lego isn't any cheaper when you consider taxes and the cut that the retailer takes. In some cases it's more.

(Some of the licensed sets are way cheaper from china apparently VW were absolutely fucking Lego over licensing for the VW camper van)
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Newer lego bricks aren't as strong as the old ones though. I always find broken pieces from newer lego wholesale lots, very rarely in the older ones from the 80s and 90s. They did something with the plastic in the 2000s to make it less durable.
View Quote

A bunch of geographies insisted on adding a fire retardant and it's now in all of it. That's also why it will yellow on the sun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They’re all expensive. There was recently a price increase as well; not across the board but many sets went up in price by a good amount.

ETA some Jurassic World sets are as much as $0.17-0.18 per piece

ETA: an example of price increases, the UCS AT-AT went from $799 to $849 a few weeks ago.
View Quote

That was partly Lego and partly licenses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Because lego is made in china? FFS...

Knock off Lego from China is barely cheaper (when you consider retailer margin) on products that aren't licensed which tells you that making Lego isn't so easy. Licensed products range from a bit cheaper to massively cheaper so you can get an idea of what Lego had to pay for the licenses (apparentlt VW reamed Lego over the license for the camper).

Actually look at the bricks - there's no visible injection point, there's no flash or moldline. How the fuck do they do that so consistently? The molds are always in flawless condition, that's really expensive. They have a huge inventory of parts (and therefore molds), that's really expensive. Between that and the massive inventory of kits they're swapping molds constantly, each swap means a 6-7 figure injection molding machine is idle for hours as the mold is setup by a skilled operator, that's really expensive (and Danish labor is not exactly cheap).

The patents are all expired if you want to offer a "value" Lego alternative...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My kid loves building LEGO.....I've bought her quite a few sets over the last few years.  Holy crap!!! Why are they so expensive?

Are they tailored more towards collectors now than the kids that actually like to play with them?  A small little "camper RV" kit that fits in a little 10" x 8" box is something like $60.  If you want a fighter jet kit...that will be $80.  

How much labor and material do they have in one of those $80 kits of plastic blocks...maybe $5?  

Sure...make those crazy massive collectors kits big money.....but for those small kids that little kids actually like to play with (and not just buy and resell like the adults are doing)....why are they so pricey?

Because our dumb AF millennial generation is having nostalgia and loves china so they pay the prices.

Because lego is made in china? FFS...

Knock off Lego from China is barely cheaper (when you consider retailer margin) on products that aren't licensed which tells you that making Lego isn't so easy. Licensed products range from a bit cheaper to massively cheaper so you can get an idea of what Lego had to pay for the licenses (apparentlt VW reamed Lego over the license for the camper).

Actually look at the bricks - there's no visible injection point, there's no flash or moldline. How the fuck do they do that so consistently? The molds are always in flawless condition, that's really expensive. They have a huge inventory of parts (and therefore molds), that's really expensive. Between that and the massive inventory of kits they're swapping molds constantly, each swap means a 6-7 figure injection molding machine is idle for hours as the mold is setup by a skilled operator, that's really expensive (and Danish labor is not exactly cheap).

The patents are all expired if you want to offer a "value" Lego alternative...

COBI for the win!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To be honest we had more fun as kids building towers and buildings out of simple wooden blocks than playing with legos.
View Quote

Lincoln logs
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top