Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Being from a Swiss-German family this is something I've wondered my entire life and I've never heard a satisfactory answer.

Give an enginnering task to Germans and they will usually come up with something that uses at least twice as many parts as say a similar thing created by an American or even a British firm.

We could talk about what the French would whip up to do the job but thats a whole other conversation.

During WW2 the German military pursued more complex weapons systems on the grounds that in a war of attrition they knew that they could never keep up with British, Russian and American industrial might. So they had a philosophy that one their weapons should be able to beat 3 of theirs.

At least I was told this. For all I know that is just one among millions of WW2 myths. That said it's been a long time since that war and it looks like the germans are still making lots of complicated things.
View Quote
Are you talking about the K98?
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you just described precisely how Germany lost the war. That, and they bit off more than they could chew.
View Quote

It's also the reason that they build some of the world's best production machinery. Sure, German equipment may cost 2x American equipment, but it's say 4x more accurate and 3x faster, so that up-front cost differential doesn't matter in a production environment where the ROI of the German machinery is far superior.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As a German, you cannot just solve a single problem. You try to solve your immediate problem and any conceivable problems in the future all at the same time.
View Quote

This, lol.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Germans are the original overthinkers.

The majority of them also lack common sense.
View Quote

True. This is one of the problems of a monoculture. The strongest / best and weakest / worst traits of the culture dominate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My dad worked for a Berlin-based German company & he claimed they couldn’t understand “American thinking” which was “too rudimentary & unsophisticated.”

Not an answer, I realize, but I suspect cultural differences factor in.

For example—when the infamous Luger pistol had reliability issues with dirt & ammo—a better holster was offered, rather than “A1” version.
View Quote

If that's true, ... well, sounds like they don't have a concept for "it only needs to be good enough to do the job with a safety factor, not more. Not less. ps, some poor sap will have to fix it in the field with no special tools."

How very ... rudimentary, and unsophisticated of them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Germans are evil. That’s why.

Destroyed Rome, invented Marxism, etc.
View Quote

The romans destroyed rome.

The germanic tribes would never have gotten in if that had not happened.

Stupid romans expanded further than they could ever defend and IMO because they worshipped that dumb false god terminus, they could never give up on border districts without being eternally ticked about it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the first time i saw this picture, i assumed it was an extremely high end race engine.. its not its just a audi needing a timing change replacement. i've replaced timing chains in a couple of nissans, and im familiar with how it works in a chevy v8 with a single cam.. and it works amazingly well.

i had a bmw m3 and sold it right before it went out of warranty because of its complication and the potential for very expensive repairs.

as for japanese manufacturing, from my experience, especially if was put together in japan, you never need to worry about how complicated it is as it will prolly run forever.

https://atlanticmotorcar.com/casestudies/wp-content/uploads/V8_audi_timing_chain_failure_repair_1.jpg
View Quote

That is HIDEOUS and whoever designed that should be embarrassed at making it!
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’ve worked with German engineers for 30 years. The reason is that German engineers spend a lot of time studying all of the requirements of the intended purpose and then they spend even more time to achieve the intended purpose with as few compromises as possible. They will change and adapt the design to try to eliminate this or that sub-optimal factor. They are driven to try to create the perfect no-compromise design, which often ends up highly complex. However, they don’t recognize complexity as sub-optimal in and of itself.

This is the also reason they are unable to build something simple, cheap, and good. When they try, it just ends up being a cheap piece of shit.
View Quote

SO ...

Technical elegance is lost on them?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you think their engineering is bad, look,at what they have done to philosophy (excl. Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein).
View Quote

BAD MAN! BAD! BACK IN YOUR CLOSET!

*whacks crazymoose in the nose with a rolled up copy of some stuff by hegel and marx*

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#10]
When it comes to older Porsche, they couldn't be simpler.

I work at an independent shop and back in the 70s you could tow in your Porsche 356 sports car and you would be out the door in 4-5 hours with your old engine out and a fresh fully rebuilt engine (not the original engine of course) installed ready to drive away.

Even the front and rear windshield glass on a 1965 911 is a direct fit for a 1989.

Super easy cars to work on.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm the closest thing to a design engineer in my group of manufacturing process development engineers. So, I usually get tasked with designing prototypes.

I'm also half Germanic (Austrian, but I think that's just a German with an appreciation for art and music).  So, basically I'm an ADD designer with a Catia license, Adderall prescription, and an espresso machine. Dangerous combination.

However, I've been somewhat cured of my love of complexity by also having to build what I designed. Though, in a past job, I also remember hearing back from the machine shop "you want me to do WHAT!? HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO PUT THIS TOGETHER?!?!"

I've since learned to listen to those guys and get their input early.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m half German. Mom was 100% German.

As a German, you cannot just solve a single problem. You try to solve your immediate problem and any conceivable problems in the future all at the same time.

Your solution may work, until something breaks.

Then you have a beer.

And then you partake in another.

And another.

I'm the closest thing to a design engineer in my group of manufacturing process development engineers. So, I usually get tasked with designing prototypes.

I'm also half Germanic (Austrian, but I think that's just a German with an appreciation for art and music).  So, basically I'm an ADD designer with a Catia license, Adderall prescription, and an espresso machine. Dangerous combination.

However, I've been somewhat cured of my love of complexity by also having to build what I designed. Though, in a past job, I also remember hearing back from the machine shop "you want me to do WHAT!? HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO PUT THIS TOGETHER?!?!"

I've since learned to listen to those guys and get their input early.

Now this is funny.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Holdover from when there were actually German Craftsmen making things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because they can is the right answer.

Strongest argument supporting that are A. Lange und Söhne watches. Each watch is assembled, disassembled, then reassembled by a watchmaker before leaving the factory. There are hundreds of tiny handmade or hand finished pieces in these things. Even pressing a button is satisfying, like closing the door on a Geländewagen.

My personal favorite, the Datograph.

https://langepedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/a-lange-sohne-datograph-chronograph-platinum-black-dial-403.035-original-datograph-and-caliber-L951.1-e1654278140560.jpeg
View Quote

I love those watches ! Some of the most beautiful timepieces, just as good as anything to come out of Switzerland (also Germans)
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

HK416 and it's magazines are absolute shit.

Your buddy, does he also sell beef jerky?

View Quote

You're right, call SOCOM and about the other 20 countries special forces that use them and tell them they are buying the wrong carbines. Please record that conversation.

Love the geniuses out there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#15]
My pet theory is based on the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, which says that the language we speak affects the way we think.  This is a controversial theory, but it sure seems to explain German engineering.  You see, in German, when you start a sentence, you must know how the sentence ends because the verb goes at the end of the sentence.  However, you can stick an arbitrary number of subordinate clauses into the sentence if it occurs to you en route to the end that more information is required.

For instance, take the sentence, "I went to the store."  In German, using the perfect past participle, this is, "Ich bin zum Kaufhaus gegangen."  Literally, it's "I am to the store went."  But suppose, as you start talking, you realize that you need to explain that you went to the store for your mother.  No worries, we'll just jam it in there!  "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter zum Kaufhaus gegangen," or, "I am for my mother to the store went."  But as you mention your mother, it occurs to you that you don't want to sound like ein mother's boy, so you should clarify that she has a toothache that has been bothering her for the past week.  "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter, die hat Zahn dass seit der lezte Woch ihr weh getun haben, zum Kaufhaus gegangen."  In English, this is already a terrific mess: "I am for my mother, who has a tooth that since the last week hurt her has, to the store went."  (It's also a mess in German, but they're used to it.)  But as you're rambling on about your mother's stupid tooth, you remember that there is perhaps some horrid ambiguity around the store in question.  What if the listener doesn't know which store it is?  Gott in Himmel, that cannot be allowed to happen.  So you specify that it's the store that is going to be closed tomorrow for repairs that are badly needed.  "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter, die hat Zahn dass seit der lezte Woch ihr weh getun haben, zum Kaufhaus dass am Morgen fuer Reparieren oeffnet nicht werden gegangen."  Ready for the English?  "I am for my mother, who has a tooth that since last week hurt her has, to the store that tomorrow for repair opens not will, went."

(Note to actual German speakers: my German is very rusty and I have had viele Bieren.  Fight me.)

Anyway, the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis makes a lot of sense out of German engineering.  You begin the design with the understanding of how you're starting, and what it's supposed to accomplish.  You design a part to do this, but engineering being what it is, it doesn't work exactly as planned.  Now this is where an English speaker would stop and start over, but that's because he hasn't been conditioned by his language since before he could control his bowels.  (This is not entirely accurate, as the typical German is potty-trained while still in the womb.)  Someone accustomed to just throwing clauses at a sentence until it finally reaches its conclusion in a fiery explosion of verbs is not about to start over.  No, he's going to add a part.  And that part will get him most of the way there, but there will still be some minor issues.  Not to worry; we can keep adding parts.  

Gunter, ve haf done it!  Ve can add no more parts...ze design ist komplete!
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
German engineering generally follows a pattern
- It does something incredibly remarkable that other designs can't
- To achieve that, it's VERY complex
- They expect it will never need repaired. That it would break is a foreign concept.  Naturally, it's not made with ease of repairs in mind.
- Insinuating there's something wrong with the design is not a criticism of the invention, but an insult to the inventor.  To say it's faulty is a personal attack.

My last employer bought some pumps from Netzsche. Absurdly complex pumps, but their flow rate relative to the motor size was absolutely absurd.
One arrived with a broken seal. There was a conference call with us in the middle of the night (their time) about it.  It took their tech over 6 hours to replace it. The internals were a damn jigsaw puzzle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're right, call SOCOM and about the other 20 countries special forces that use them and tell them they are buying the wrong carbines. Please record that conversation.

View Quote

416 maritime mags are well known for their poor spring life and how easy it is to dent them/bend feedlips.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My pet theory is based on the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, which says that the language we speak affects the way we think.  This is a controversial theory, but it sure seems to explain German engineering.  You see, in German, when you start a sentence, you must know how the sentence ends because the verb goes at the end of the sentence.  However, you can stick an arbitrary number of subordinate clauses into the sentence if it occurs to you en route to the end that more information is required.

For instance, take the sentence, "I went to the store."  In German, using the perfect past participle, this is, "Ich bin zum Kaufhaus gegangen."  Literally, it's "I am to the store went."  But suppose, as you start talking, you realize that you need to explain that you went to the store for your mother.  No worries, we'll just jam it in there!  "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter zum Kaufhaus gegangen," or, "I am for my mother to the store went."  But as you mention your mother, it occurs to you that you don't want to sound like ein mother's boy, so you should clarify that she has a toothache that has been bothering her for the past week.  "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter, die hat Zahn dass seit der lezte Woch ihr weh getun haben, zum Kaufhaus gegangen."  In English, this is already a terrific mess: "I am for my mother, who has a tooth that since the last week hurt her has, to the store went."  (It's also a mess in German, but they're used to it.)  But as you're rambling on about your mother's stupid tooth, you remember that there is perhaps some horrid ambiguity around the store in question.  What if the listener doesn't know which store it is?  Gott in Himmel, that cannot be allowed to happen.  So you specify that it's the store that is going to be closed tomorrow for repairs that are badly needed.  "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter, die hat Zahn dass seit der lezte Woch ihr weh getun haben, zum Kaufhaus dass am Morgen fuer Reparieren oeffnet nicht werden gegangen."  Ready for the English?  "I am for my mother, who has a tooth that since last week hurt her has, to the store that tomorrow for repair opens not will, went."

(Note to actual German speakers: my German is very rusty and I have had viele Bieren.  Fight me.)

Anyway, the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis makes a lot of sense out of German engineering.  You begin the design with the understanding of how you're starting, and what it's supposed to accomplish.  You design a part to do this, but engineering being what it is, it doesn't work exactly as planned.  Now this is where an English speaker would stop and start over, but that's because he hasn't been conditioned by his language since before he could control his bowels.  (This is not entirely accurate, as the typical German is potty-trained while still in the womb.)  Someone accustomed to just throwing clauses at a sentence until it finally reaches its conclusion in a fiery explosion of verbs is not about to start over.  No, he's going to add a part.  And that part will get him most of the way there, but there will still be some minor issues.  Not to worry; we can keep adding parts.  

View Quote

The fancy way of saying what I said

Think complex, act complex

The flexibility of English let's us say say "hit it a hammer, retard". Iterate that vs. German over 8700 years.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:24:37 AM EDT
[#19]
One of the  best  examples of  German engineering is the drive set up for the two deck mounted engine cooling fans on a Tiger tank.  The US and British solution would have used a vee belt and pulleys, the Germans used very complex bevel gears and drive arrangement off the engine.  Beautifully engineered but expensive in time and resources, not what was needed in a wartime economy
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bunch of haters in this thread.

@Fantomas
View Quote

unglaublich - die wissen nicht was gut ist

you know the saying

Warum soll man es einfach machen wenn es auch kompliziert geht

@Zhukov

German Engineering is the best

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First of all, talking about ALL Germans being the same and wanting things unnecessarily complicated is nonsense.  What German culture DOES request is competence and ability. When you call a plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc. you expect that person to be highly trained ad get things absolutely right the first time. That applies to pretty much ANY trade you can think of. Germany has had a very good system of apprenticeships where, when you "graduate" 10th grade, you enter a vocational school and learn your trade in classroom instruction and practical applications (skipping the university track via the Gymnasium, as that is a minority of students). The best way to give an example is this video I came across some time ago of a couple of American carpenters visiting a Swiss trade school. They are generally blown away by the way the students must learn how to do things expertly. Here in the US, we generally take people with a high school education and have them work alongside experienced people in the trade that they learn from. That gets the job done, but it's a far cry from actual mastery of your craft.

Skip to 8:45 and 16:30 if you want to get some highlights if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJvFYBpTu4

After watching the segment at 16:30, go into your attic and compare that to what you saw in the video. I know what my attic looks like and a monkey with one arm could have done a better job. Yes, it does cost a lot more but that is the way things are done.
View Quote

in Germany they are trained / Ausbildung in one area

a Plumber will only do plumbing and nothing else

you know for sure they are skilled - especially if they have a Meisterbrief

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I raise you the 911 cup holder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGK43jMDxY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motor Trend or another car magazine looked into this years ago.  They compared ash trays.  The US made ones were 1-3 parts. A stamped part and maybe a handled that was screwed on. The one of a Mercedes?  23 parts....

I raise you the 911 cup holder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGK43jMDxY

and when they break it's expensive to replace
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its just their style.  

I integrate automation into german built machinery all the time.  They are always flabbergasted that I demand just a few discrete I/O to keep shit simple and easy to troubleshoot.  They want to share 8700 needless I/O over a Profibus network which would need to then be adapted to work with Ethernet IP ie:  clusterfuck.

Remember one argument about this and the guy says in a heavy German accent, "But you have all this capability". They just don't subscribe to the KISS philosophy.  If a PLC has 87 inputs they will design it with 87 buttons no matter the application.
View Quote
I'm dealing with this now.  We have a PLC, German designed, that one piece of equipment it controls should not run unless the piece of equipment downstream is running.   You would think that would simply be one contact in the logic but no it is literally 10 contacts in the rung where a single contact would suffice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My pet theory is based on the [url=https://www.simplypsychology.org/sapir-whorf-hypothesis.html] […] "Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter, die hat Zahn dass seit der lezte Woch ihr weh getun haben, zum Kaufhaus dass am Morgen fuer Reparieren oeffnet nicht werden gegangen."  Ready for the English?  "I am for my mother, who has a tooth that since last week hurt her has, to the store that tomorrow for repair opens not will, went."
View Quote
In German, more relative clauses are used and the word to which a relative pronoun refers can be further away. This is simply due to the fact that because of genders and cases, relations are clearer.

But what should be the difference between putting additional thoughts between verb brackets or just putting them at the end?

A small correction:
– original: Ich bin fuer meiner Mutter, die hat Zahn dass seit der lezte Woch ihr weh getun haben, zum Kaufhaus dass am Morgen fuer Reparieren oeffnet nicht werden gegangen.
– corrected: Ich bin fuer meine Mutter, die einen Zahn hat, der ihr seit der letzten Woche wehtut, zum Kaufhaus, das morgen wegen Reperaturen nicht geöffnet ist, gegangen.
– more natural: Ich bin für meine Mutter, der seit letzter Woche ein Zahn wehtut, zum Kaufhaus gegangen, das morgen wegen Reperaturen geschlossen ist.
– English: I am for my mother, who since last week a tooth hurts, to the store went, that tomorrow because of repairs closed is.

But of course the sentence is somewhat contrived.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am sure they would cry, of course that has never happened.

The fastest Corvette around the ring (c7 z06 at 80k MSRP) is a full 9 seconds slower than a 718 gt4 rs (at 161k MSRP) and even slower than another dozen Porsches, (though some of those models above do exceed 250k)

Current production Corvette (which are a fair bit over 50k) to current production Porsche (still not anywhere close to 250k) is even worse,

C8 7:29 vs gt4rs at 7:04!!

So I ask you, do Americans cry in to their piss water when the very best Corvette can offer is still 9 seconds slower than Porsches entry level gt car?
View Quote

So, pure race cars with little to no creature comforts vs Corvettes with AC, cruise, power everything, and a killer stereo? The last official attempt by a top of the line Corvette was 2017 - 6 years past - and that mass production car came up 0.9 sec short of the fabulously expensive and limited production 918 Spyder (918 units made) and the pure race car variants of the same year 911 GT3, on which "Sound deadening was almost completely removed, as were the rear seats, rear loud speakers, sunroof, and air conditioning, although automatic air conditioning and CD/radio became no-cost optional add-ons." Yeah, I'm sure the Nurburgring cars had AC. Not. They also had a very special engine based more on the 962 race engine than on the 911 production flat six. The Corvette, not so much.

In short, Porsche records are owned by ultra limited production race cars and homologation specials. Corvette records are held by real mass production cars with creature comforts. You have to drop down to the 2018 911 Turbo S to find a comparable car as far as production volumes and creature comforts, and its base price was $190K. We all know how Porsche option prices are - what's metallic paint these days, $15k? Not gonna bother looking. That Turbo S was beaten by same year Corvettes, but it was at least close.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:[/b]
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/b]

Quoted:

HK416 and it's magazines are absolute shit.

Your buddy, does he also sell beef jerky?

The HK-416 magazine is an absolute perfect example of German "engineering".

Take something that works extremely well and is inexpensive, and "redesign" it until it doesn't work and is expensive.

Impressive!

The only place HK "maritime" mags work well are in video games and fantasy land.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Its just their style.  

I integrate automation into german built machinery all the time.  They are always flabbergasted that I demand just a few discrete I/O to keep shit simple and easy to troubleshoot.  They want to share 8700 needless I/O over a Profibus network which would need to then be adapted to work with Ethernet IP ie:  clusterfuck.

Remember one argument about this and the guy says in a heavy German accent, "But you have all this capability". They just don't subscribe to the KISS philosophy.  If a PLC has 87 inputs they will design it with 87 buttons no matter the application.
View Quote
And yet the Geman guy who installed our automated brew house couldn't understand why we would want to record process data. They built it, and it was automated,  so obviously it could never be improved upon or fail. No need for a data historian.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I don’t want to hear shit about a German car until you’ve worked on a V12 Jaguar
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I continue to be amazed by GD's wisdom in telling me exactly all the traits I have even though most have not met Germans and gotten to know them well enough, much less know ENOUGH of them to draw conclusions about the entire country's population.

Allow me to tell you EXACTLY how every single American is:
  • Americans are loud
  • Americans are obnoxious
  • Americans are fat and lazy
  • Americans are cowboys
  • etc.
Don't try to persuade me otherwise - I have met an American and he met all these stereotypes so it's true about all Americans!
View Quote

Perhaps true of some here, but I've been there enough times to have forgotten most of them and have done business over long term relationships with some of their biggest companies. And I've also worked on cars on the side for 40+ years of every nationality. Sometimes stereotypes make it into the lexicon because they are reasonably accurate representations of bulk cultural behavior.

As for your Americans stereotype, I watch media and it reliably tells me that Americans are hard-working, socially conscious POCs, about half of whom are LGBTQAVTYUDFTUTE+. Only the handful of cis white males remaining in backward states fit your stereotypes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Judging by their cars and firearms, they definitely over-engineer things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don’t want to hear shit about a German car until you’ve worked on a V12 Jaguar
View Quote

LOL! Truth! I had an acquaintance once upon a time who did that. His toolbox looked like a Craftsmen wrench set designed by Salvador Dali of Melting Clocks fame. He had meticulously heated and shaped wrenches to all sorts of bizarre angles to fit into the V-12's many nooks and crannies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Favorite piece of German engineering is the Bunny Ballista captured bolt gun. Makes dispatching rabbits for the pot a much more humane experience for them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#35]
The VW MKIV platform used on late 90's to mid 2000's Golfs, Beetles and Jettas is pretty straight forward and easy to work on.  

I like older stuff and if it says Made in W. Germany I will pay a premium.  

Same with older American stuff made before they cut corners.  Stuff that was probably designed and made by people who's ancestors came from Germany and that part of the world.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The fastest Corvette around the ring (c7 z06 at 80k MSRP) is a full 9 seconds slower than a 718 gt4 rs (at 161k MSRP) and even slower than another dozen Porsches, (though some of those models above do exceed 250k)

Current production Corvette (which are a fair bit over 50k) to current production Porsche (still not anywhere close to 250k) is even worse,

So I ask you, do Americans cry in to their piss water when the very best Corvette can offer is still 9 seconds slower than Porsches entry level gt car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do the germans shed tears in the warm beers when a 50k vette can thrash a 250k porsche's times at the nurburgring?

I'm still stuck on the warm beer thing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is awesome! Thanks for the explanation and laughs!
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I continue to be amazed by GD's wisdom in telling me exactly all the traits I have even though most have not met Germans and gotten to know them well enough, much less know ENOUGH of them to draw conclusions about the entire country's population.

Allow me to tell you EXACTLY how every single American is:
  • Americans are loud
  • Americans are obnoxious
  • Americans are fat and lazy
  • Americans are cowboys
  • etc.
Don't try to persuade me otherwise - I have met an American and he met all these stereotypes so it's true about all Americans!
View Quote
I've known a few Germans, but you're the first I've encountered who actually cared what others thought.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Just look in a Hazet catalog for all the specific tools for one model of German car, and not just for say a VW Jetta, it's for a VW Jetta B5 1.8T automatic.

Even the German GF needs a mental adjustment at times.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah they could make functional jet engines in WWII but BWM can't stop leaking valve seals to save their ass.  VW's and Audi's are an electric nightmare of random failures.  German cars are a fucking shit show, I would never own one that wasn't under warranty.

The air head BMW motorcycle was an exception, simple, rugged, easy to maintain.  The old Stihl chain saws were good too.  So not everything out of Germany was a rocket science project.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude.

Just.

Dude.

If you're going to make a whole argument based on linguistics. Show some basic knowledge of the languages you are citing.

English has past perfect. German has simple past. He rest just continues on with equally absurd premises, apparently based on not understanding how sentences are formed in either language.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I gave this to the German GF to read....absolutely true!
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Because we suck and they hate us?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I have German customers and can confirm.

If it wasn't for an NDA, I could show you a really classic example of a German design vs American design for what is effectively the exact same part.

Just last week my American customer came back and asked how they could make their version of this part even simpler.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Gott mit uns.

The arrogant legion running things didn’t count on God fearing country boys kicking their asses. Kind of the same mentality we see here today. Arrogance! Pride! Heathens in leadership.
View Quote

They also didn’t think those lesser, officially atheist Slavs in the east could hold out and then come back and defeat them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Give an enginnering task to Germans and they will usually come up with something that uses at least twice as many parts as say a similar thing created by an American or even a British firm.

View Quote

A friend of mine with a huge and extensive collection of military surplus guns used to make the joke, "A Russian will make a gun part do three jobs; a German will make three parts do one job."
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ja!  I get to use my favorite (yes, this is an actual) German word twice in a week (asked about in another German language thread):

Höchstgeschwindigkeitsbegrenzungszeichen.

40 letters…41 if the ö is oe.

What is it:  speed limit sign.

View Quote

Good god….Russian has some long words, but that takes the cake.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Its just their style.  

I integrate automation into german built machinery all the time.  They are always flabbergasted that I demand just a few discrete I/O to keep shit simple and easy to troubleshoot.  They want to share 8700 needless I/O over a Profibus network which would need to then be adapted to work with Ethernet IP…ie:  clusterfuck.

Remember one argument about this and the guy says in a heavy German accent, “But you have all this capability”. They just don’t subscribe to the KISS philosophy.  If a PLC has 87 inputs they will design it with 87 buttons no matter the application.
View Quote

I unironically use Beckhoff for this
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top