Quoted:

At least you weren't air lifted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one ever gets mad at the fire department for charging $1500 for a 10 minute ride to the hospital for a broken ankle

I took a $300 ride in an ambulance after a car accident.  I was pissed.

No kidding, but my attitude was "Isn't this what I'm paying taxes for?"  

I've changed the way I vote on certain tax levies as a result.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
For stakeouts right?  And can help try to prevent the old banana in the tailpipe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any vehicle that is tasked with traffic enforcement and performing roadside stops should be clearly marked with department name on all four sides, have roof top warning lights and chevron striping on the rear.

I cant wait for the ARFCops to argue why any of the above isn't a good idea.
View Quote

Because assholes drive 65 in a 35, and its not like my tractor can get up over 18.5 mph when I am pulling out on the road to do work on a leased field when it is time to plant, fertilize, and cut hay.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But you saw the 25 mph sign right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always laugh at all of you who say "quotas" and things like that.  Some departments have them, but You all act like they're universal  I believe my current ticket book was issued to me in June 2015 and it still has quite a few left in it.  They come with 20 in them.  Only tickets we every really write are from traffic crashes.  Other departments I worked for I wrote speeding and other tickets, but we also had the time to work traffic there

I laugh at your laughter

Lots of towns have a 40mph type roadway posted at 25 mph and a cop sits there writing tickets all day

But you saw the 25 mph sign right?

Thats not the point!!  

I should be able to drive anyway I think is appropriate...and I should be able to ID a police vehicle from at least 1/2 mile away...

Kidding.

I don't drive probably as much as some here but I have been pulled over once in the past 15 years.  I generally obey all the traffic laws...and if I speed I'm going with traffic...75 in 70...that kind of thing.

Like those threads where people bitch about being roughed up or dealt with poorly by cops...I guess I'm not hanging in the right places to come in contact with pissed off cops nor driving in the right places and/or right(wrong) way to be pulled over.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't care. I get more pissed at all the hill billies that buy the old crown vic police vehicles at auction that camp out in the fast lane doing 55 like they are a cop or that get right up on your ass and never pass you. Fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've worked in unmarked cars before.  We had an old Ford van hi top conversion that we used for surveillance.  It was a pile of junk and would blend in with the area nicely.  We also had a 5.0 Mustang, a Chevy pickup, and a Ford Tempo.  They had regular tags and no lights.  

I've worked in unmarked cars that had antennas all over and blinky lights in the grill.  They were not intended for traffic or regular patrol.  Detectives and supervisors drive them.  They carry regular tags but aren't fooling anyone.

For working traffic there is but one level of marking that is acceptable...

Anything else is just ticket generating bullshit.  I know of an agency that uses an F150 pickup with the subdued lettering and the amount of mental gymnastics they present in order to justify it is breath taking.  I've never lacked for available idiot drivers while working in a fully-marked unit.  The presence of the markings alone is enough to slow down and regulate traffic.  You don't need to sneak up on anyone unless you're planning to goose them.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Frankly all police vehicles should be clearly marked.  None of this bullshit stealth operators.  
View Quote

Yeah.  I don't get it either.

There is a clear need for detectives, undercover, etc., but the vast majority of police work requires that the police be clearly identified as police.  Seems pretty obvious unless your
objective is to trap speeders.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FPNI

It is too hard (expensive and takes effort) to "police" anymore. They are only interested in easy money for Civic projects
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Revenue

FPNI

It is too hard (expensive and takes effort) to "police" anymore. They are only interested in easy money for Civic projects
I can't speak for all states but in Florida the agency writing the ticket makes very, very little money on it.  State gets almost all.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ga. law says contrasting letters . I see this all the time . Policing is a for profit operation in many departments
View Quote

OK, contrasting. 4 inches, three sides. Contrasting is pretty wide open to interpretation.

Nationally slick tops are safer statistically, because guys won't out drive the visibility of the light packages.

You have no idea how much of that money DOES NOT go to the police departments. Lots of fingers in the pie before the police get a dime. Most good chiefs don't give a damn about the money. Its about enforcing the law, and trying to slow folks down. If you see a cop working LIDAR in a certain spot, it is most likely because they have received numerous complaints about speed or other violations. That whole "policing for profit" spiel is bullshit in most jurisdictions. Just people bitching because they got caught. GD hates traffic enforcement, until they get behind someone in the left lane going 75 in a 65, and they want to go 95. Then they are all about the cops writing tickets for that.

Ask me how I know. 37 years OTJ.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
There used to be a time when the police WANTED to a be a highly visible presence....

Now it's all about stealth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
We had a thread on "ghost markings" on LEOs cars a couple years ago. Did you forget?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why even waste the money on putting "Police" on the side of what is obviously an unmarked speed trap car if you can't read it?
View Quote

Police soon to be prosecuted for operating a rolling text message........that causes the other drivers to take their eyes off the road for 10 or more seconds as they attempt to read the label on the police car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one ever gets mad at the fire department for charging $1500 for a 10 minute ride to the hospital for a broken ankle

I took a $300 ride in an ambulance after a car accident.  I was pissed.

Pure revenue generation. But no one ever bitches about it lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]
One of my fire companies got an SUV with white on white lettering, cops flipped a shit.  Told them they were wannabe cops and were going to get shot at.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]
GSP has these "stealth" cars as well..............most people say they don't look like police cars, but there are plenty of tell-tale signs that give them away............just not when you approach them at high speed

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There used to be a time when the police WANTED to a be a highly visible presence....

View Quote

When I was in basic training at Fort Leonard Wood we had been given a day pass and me and a couple of friends went to the PX. As we were walking back I decided to put an earbud in to listen to some music. Just so happens a 1SGT drove by in his POV and spotted the earbud. He got out, chewed on my ass, gave us a spill about doing the right thing when no one was watching, got my name and unit and sent us on our way. When we got back to the barracks the DS's had me doing all kinds of fun activities in the tire pit.

Moral of the story? I did something I knew I wasn't supposed to do because I didn't think anyone would know and got caught.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a lot of police cruisers in Pennsylvania like this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Malum prohibitum v malum in se  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was in basic training at Fort Leonard Wood we had been given a day pass and me and a couple of friends went to the PX. As we were walking back I decided to put an earbud in to listen to some music. Just so happens a 1SGT drove by in his POV and spotted the earbud. He got out, chewed on my ass, gave us a spill about doing the right thing when no one was watching, got my name and unit and sent us on our way. When we got back to the barracks the DS's had me doing all kinds of fun activities in the tire pit.

Moral of the story? I did something I knew I wasn't supposed to do because I didn't think anyone would know and got caught.
Malum prohibitum v malum in se  

Anything a private does during basic is always malum in se per the drill sergeant.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah I saw a black on black over the weekend. Looks cool, not sure why you wouldn't just have it unmarked.  

Doesn't matter to me, the only time I get speed tickets is driving home tired and not paying attention. I wouldn't intentionally speed past a suspiciously odd looking Ford suv in the parking lot of a closed funeral home at a 11pm even if it didn't have reflective marking
View Quote

A city near me has a black on black Charger set up for traffic. Per the state code it says "police" in about 3 inch tall letters on each side.

The reason it is legally "marked" is because some of the grant funds for additional traffic detail call for a "marked car" to be used.

The local judge did make them put a roof light on it somehow after discovering the "not a quota system"  its' the, "merit officer" system, it's smoked clear plastic about the size of a big mac.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While we are on the subject,

TONE DOWN THE FUCKING LED LIGHTS.
IT BLINDS PEOPLE COMING UP ON THE SCENE AND IS A
SAFETY HAZARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

I agree with this 100%. The lights on a VSP cruiser are blinding at night, and if there is more than one of them there, break out your sunglasses. It's ridiculous. I understand the reasoning since VSP has lost more troopers in the last few years to getting hit by other cars than any other reason but when you can't see the lines on the road, or the road itself then the lights are a little overkill and a safety issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Almost every department does that. Permits, inspections, plan reviews etc.

Hell where I live you are "supposed" to pay a $15 permit to add an outlet box

The difference being at least with an ambulance you will most likely get soft billed by a municipal department and you have insurance to cover it otherwise.

Can I buy speeding insurance?

And if you think what cities and townships are charging for EMS is bad you should check out some itemized bills from private ambulance companies lol

Also a great deal of patients are not residents of the area, so why not?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Almost every department does that. Permits, inspections, plan reviews etc.

Hell where I live you are "supposed" to pay a $15 permit to add an outlet box

The difference being at least with an ambulance you will most likely get soft billed by a municipal department and you have insurance to cover it otherwise.

Can I buy speeding insurance?

And if you think what cities and townships are charging for EMS is bad you should check out some itemized bills from private ambulance companies lol

Also a great deal of patients are not residents of the area, so why not?
View Quote

Hell our county runs the EMS services and they do not take any of the insurance used by the county or city employees.  They do not agree with what the insurance companies will pay.  Several use BCBS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Do you know why I pulled you over this noon?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Most of those light packages have a dimmer. They really need to use them. Moth to a flame and all that. I like plainly marked cars, no big graphics, just lettering. Black and whites are still classic looking. I really don't like the idea of super dark tint on patrol cars. It's dangerous, and just does not look right. What is there to hide? How many cops in the car?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most of those light packages have a dimmer. They really need to use them. Moth to a flame and all that. I like plainly marked cars, no big graphics, just lettering. Black and whites are still classic looking. I really don't like the idea of super dark tint on patrol cars. It's dangerous, and just does not look right. What is there to hide? How many cops in the car?
View Quote

Actually, for the most part, the dark tint is for the electronics in the car.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Perhaps when you had me roll down the window I told you that I was so good at algebra I could replace your X and you would not even know Y?

This would indicate I was clearly intoxicated as I would think that joke is funny.

Tase' me gently, bro.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone willing to take bets on who's got hidden icons in this thread?
View Quote

"Low Visibility Icons", sir.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's a great idea. Cough up the 4K per car that it would take to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any vehicle that is tasked with traffic enforcement and performing roadside stops should be clearly marked with department name on all four sides, have roof top warning lights and chevron striping on the rear.

It's a great idea. Cough up the 4K per car that it would take to do it.

Holy shit, $4k!?

Engineering vinyl isn't cheap, but DAMN. There's a sign shop somewhere that's fucking y'all hard.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

FPNI Again!

Fuck crime deterrence. It's all about redistributing your wealth.

BTW: How much cash you got on you today, civilian? Any donations for orphanages we don't know about? Our tac team wants new Wilson Combats all around and the city budget won't allow it. Care to make a donation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Revenue

FPNI Again!

Fuck crime deterrence. It's all about redistributing your wealth.

BTW: How much cash you got on you today, civilian? Any donations for orphanages we don't know about? Our tac team wants new Wilson Combats all around and the city budget won't allow it. Care to make a donation?

Forgetting the fact that what you post is just not true, there is a simple way to avoid all of that.  ;)

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#37]
CT Secret Police have been using totally unmarked cars for traffic enforcement for many years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Some departments run "semi-marked" cars around here.

MSP had a couple.

One side of the car has full markings.

Other side is blank.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#39]
We have a dept here in a city I drive through every day on my way home from work.  There's a school zone with special speed limit signs dropping the normally 35mph down to 25mph.

That department has a Ford Taurus police car in a light blue color (completely different from their normal patrol car color).  It's fully marked on one side of the car, and completely unmarked on the other.  When they sit at that school zone, it looks like any private Ford Taurus parked on the right side of the road.  And they are there every freakin' day.

Now, I'm all for getting people to slow down by schools, but this borders on ridiculous.  A fully marked car would have the exact same effect - better, in fact, as everyone would slow down.  This car, unless you know about it, doesn't make people slow down.  Clearly the city values the revenue of these school zone tickets over actual child safety.  (And another point - wouldn't it be better to have people drive 35mph and keep their eyes on the road, rather than 25mph with eyes spending 50% of the time on the speedometer to make sure you don't get pulled over?).

And before you ask, nope, I've never gotten ticketed.  :)
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mark it out, people will still pass cops 30+ psl.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/rx79gez8gundam/txdps_85_ssp_side_view.jpg

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's an old(er) school HPD traffic car. Well marked, and in that special HPD blue that could be spotted from a mile+ away...
http://i.imgur.com/U9Nqkmx.jpg

Mark it out, people will still pass cops 30+ psl.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/rx79gez8gundam/txdps_85_ssp_side_view.jpg

I always liked those.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it's a fantastic idea, but I also believe that radar detectors should be universally illegal (because, to be blunt, their only purpose is to assist in the attempt(s) to circumvent the law), and anyone caught speeding should have their fines doubled every time they get caught doing it, assuming we're talking about going 10 over the speed limit.

Don't do stupid crap and the markings on the car (or lack thereof) don't matter. This is something (for some reason) that people have the oddest tendency to struggle with.

I have sped before and gotten tickets for it. Then I decided to act like an adult.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We have a dept here in a city I drive through every day on my way home from work.  There's a school zone with special speed limit signs dropping the normally 35mph down to 25mph.

That department has a Ford Taurus police car in a light blue color (completely different from their normal patrol car color).  It's fully marked on one side of the car, and completely unmarked on the other.  When they sit at that school zone, it looks like any private Ford Taurus parked on the right side of the road.  And they are there every freakin' day.

Now, I'm all for getting people to slow down by schools, but this borders on ridiculous. A fully marked car would have the exact same effect - better, in fact, as everyone would slow down. This car, unless you know about it, doesn't make people slow down.  Clearly the city values the revenue of these school zone tickets over actual child safety.  (And another point - wouldn't it be better to have people drive 35mph and keep their eyes on the road, rather than 25mph with eyes spending 50% of the time on the speedometer to make sure you don't get pulled over?).

View Quote

No it wouldn't ............ it wouldn't generate any revenue.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#44]
The sherrifs run those here.  But we are a small town with no force. Normally its a Chevy truck big bold markings....but some high speed plate carrier wearing shaved head Oakley wearing young guys like to do fishing expeditions least once a month ...

Only 1800/2000k population here....

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Florida has unmarked without city/state plates. The only way to identify is lights in the grill.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, I'm all for getting people to slow down by schools, but this borders on ridiculous. A fully marked car would have the exact same effect - better, in fact, as everyone would slow down. This car, unless you know about it, doesn't make people slow down.  Clearly the city values the revenue of these school zone tickets over actual child safety.  (And another point - wouldn't it be better to have people drive 35mph and keep their eyes on the road, rather than 25mph with eyes spending 50% of the time on the speedometer to make sure you don't get pulled over?).

Bingo!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

The newer LED light bars are usually dimmable, but if the interior controller you have is a reused 10+ year old system designed for the bubble top style bar with incans and strobes, the dimmer function won't work.  Neither will most of the other nifty features the bars include.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#49]
FPNI.  Traffic details.  You can't tell they're police vehicles from a far distance, but are "marked" vehicles.  The decals are reflective at night.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#50]
It's to meet the letter of the law about marked vehicles, while they are still basically unmarked.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top