Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
People that say that have never been to Madison, Perry, Live Oak, Two Egg, Sopchoppy, Red Level, Chiefland, Crawfordville, etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Cause it's partially a retirement home for old people from the north east?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amen!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish we would have got the panhandle.

yeah, AL. got cheated out of its Gulf Coast.

Amen!  

WTF?  Yall still have some Gulf Coast.  Orange Beach?   Gulf Shores?  Dauphin Island?  Mobile ?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

you did. we call that shit LA

Lower Alabama
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

People that say that have never been to Madison, Perry, Live Oak, Two Egg, Sopchoppy, Red Level, Chiefland, Crawfordville, etc, etc, etc.
View Quote

Fucking Two Egg.  Such a odd town.  

Wewahitchka is worse though.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Cause it's partially a retirement home for old people from the north east.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Too many Yankee assholes down there. It is their own little world. I know because I have to talk
to many of them daily.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My great, great great grandfather thought Florida was part of "The South" because he fought on the size of the Confederacy against an Union invasion of Florida at Olustee.

Growing up in Central Florida in the 50s and 60s we use to play Dixie at all the High School football games and everybody would stand and sing.

One of the largest Confederate flags in the US flies at the junction of I-4 and I-75.  There is a Confederate graveyard not too far from where I live and the flag is flown everyday.
View Quote

Damn big flag-  live not far from there.    I always considered Central Florida part of the South even way down into Okochobee and Florida City, then again I was born along the "real" Cracker Trail.   Some big ranchland down there and pretty wild.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

FL is considered part of the South.   What a weird thread.
View Quote

No shit.  Fl is the home of Southern Rock for God's sake if nothing else. All you good old boys talkin' shit about us but jammin' to any of the below have Florida to thank:

Allmans

Skynyrd

Petty

The Outlaws

Molly Hatchet

.38 Special

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So who nuked Delaware?

AK part of the south
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So who nuked Delaware?

AK part of the south

Northern DE and Slower DE pretty much epitomize North vs. South, culture wise though.  But yeah, WTF did DE go on the map?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My aunt had a farm in Two Egg, it  was  Fay Dunaway's grandmother's place at one time.    Weird  place   LOL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I live in Baker county...that really wasn't shit. You should see what they do after a few beers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It used to be.

South Florida is another country.

I just spent a weekend in Baker Florida a couple weeks ago......I was driving down the road and I saw a couple pick ups on the side of the road....one had a big American Flag hanging from a pole sticking out of the bed, about 4 guys in a circle with a bunch of dogs jumping around. The dogs had a big boar pinned and some guy was stabbing the shit of the pig with a knife.

This was out on a main road.

Southern enough for me. Felt like.....America.  

I live in Baker county...that really wasn't shit. You should see what they do after a few beers.

Same,Same in Dixie County,,,,   LOL
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cause it's partially a retirement home for old people from the north east.

I just threw in the "partially" part cause I was keeping in mind all the Caribbean immigrants and the guidos from up north who just wanna party in the sun every day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
A guy from miami told me that they call the northern half of Florida, Georgia.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost all of those cities have Walmarts that display deer stands out in front of the store and large, sectioned-off areas of camo and high-vis hunting gear. The Perry Walmart actually has it's hunting section at the front of the store where you would normally find a vision center or clearance room. You also see lots of lifted pickup trucks with dog cages in the back in these areas and there are more country stations than any other genre.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And sometimes we wish we were South Dothan. The 'LA' moniker applies in a lot of ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And sometimes we wish we were South Dothan. The 'LA' moniker applies in a lot of ways.

Howdy neighbor, shit sometimes I wish I was in FL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Florida is essentially 4 separate states:

-Panhandle (which I am fine with annexing back to Alabama) - part of the "South"
-North Florida (Georgia border to Hwy 50) - part of the "South"
-South Florida (Hwy 50 on south to Homestead) - not part of the "South"
-Islands (Conch Republic / Caribbean) - not part of the "South"

View Quote

Yeah...highway 50 is putting it wayyy too far north.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes... and, beautiful as some of those areas are, they are but a small fraction of the coastline directly south of the rest of our state and borders.

Show the map to any grade school child who can draw a straight line and ask them where the eastern border of Alabama SHOULD be.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Damn Broome, and the gerrymanderers who came before him
From WIKI:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, AL. got cheated out of its Gulf Coast.

Amen!  

WTF?  Yall still have some Gulf Coast.  Orange Beach?   Gulf Shores?  Dauphin Island?  Mobile ?

Yes... and, beautiful as some of those areas are, they are but a small fraction of the coastline directly south of the rest of our state and borders.

Show the map to any grade school child who can draw a straight line and ask them where the eastern border of Alabama SHOULD be.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be.  Damn Broome, and the gerrymanderers who came before him
From WIKI:

Alabama annexation proposals[edit]

During the course of the century, proposals for ceding the Florida counties west of the Apalachicola River to Alabama were often raised:

In 1811, while Florida was still a Spanish possession, American residents sent a petition to Congress asking to be incorporated into the Mississippi Territory, which at that time included present-day Alabama. (See West Florida article.)

In 1819, the constitutional convention of Alabama asked Congress to include West Florida in their new state.

In 1822, only a year after the U.S. acquired the entire Florida territory from Spain, residents of West Florida sent a petition to the U.S. House of Representatives asking that their section be annexed to Alabama, and Alabama Senator John Williams Walker also promoted the idea.[7]

In 1826, the Pensacola Gazette published a number of letters advocating annexation to Alabama, though the editor remarked that some Pensacolians opposed the idea.[7]

In 1840, a public meeting in Pensacola produced a demand that West Florida be united with Alabama. In the same year, the territorial Legislature notified Congress that it opposed allowing Alabama to annex West Florida, but in 1844, the year before statehood, the Legislature reversed its stance and asked that West Florida be separated.[7]

In 1856, advocates of annexation were able to get a bill passed by the Legislature authorizing a referendum on the issue but the Governor James E. Broome vetoed the measure. The Pensacola Gazette reported that "annexation is desired by a large majority of the people" of the area.[7]

In 1858, the Alabama Legislature unsuccessfully tried to open negotiations with Florida on the subject.

The annexation issue was eclipsed by the Civil War and the war's effects on the region, but in 1868, with Pensacola now connected by the Panhandle's sole railroad line to the

Alabama cities of Mobile and Montgomery, the issue came to a head again and was finally put to a vote of the people. In that year, the Alabama Legislature approved a joint resolution authorizing their Governor to negotiate with the Governor of Florida about the annexation of West Florida. An offer of one million dollars in Alabama state bonds, paying 8 percent interest for thirty years, was included. Both states appointed commissioners to make detailed recommendations on the matter.[9]

On November 2, 1869, a referendum was held in the West Florida counties (except Jackson, which was in the throes of bloody racial violence[10]), with a result of 1162 to 661 in favor of annexation.[6] However, political objection developed in Alabama to the high price, and the Legislature took no action on the results of the referendum.[11]

In 1873, a similar proposal was made in the Alabama Legislature, which the state senate approved, though it did not pass a separate proposal to finance the measure by selling all of Alabama's territory west of the Tombigbee River, including the city of Mobile, to Mississippi.[12] However, nothing came of this action.

In 1901, Alabama made yet another offer when the Legislature appointed a commission to negotiate with Florida about annexation, but this attempt, too, was unsuccessful.

The building of the Pensacola and Atlantic Railroad, completed in 1883, finally linked Pensacola and the Panhandle solidly with the rest of the state and ended the region's isolation, although from time to time during the twentieth century there were still occasional calls for annexation that generated some public discussion but no legislative action.

Look at the map of the USA now and tell me it wasn't draw by a bunch of grade school kids.   That's why we have a Chef drawn down the middle of the map.  Just because a straight line would have been easier doesn't make it so.  

Why it never happened is just politics.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The panhandle is culturally southern.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I4 seems to be the dividing line. I used to work for a Jacksonville based company and I felt fully at home in Jacksonville--- it really wasn't any different than the rest of the South. I now work for a company based out of the Miami area and it's definitely not the South. I understood everyone in Jacksonville but the heavy Cuban/South American accents in Miami can be rough at times.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
oy gevalt!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You know that saying in Florida, the further North you go, the more South you get.  FWIW, S FL is not part of the south.  It is it's own little microcosm.  I would consider N FL part of the south.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Guess you've never been to the north western part of Florida eh? Can't get much more southern than that my friend. Always been known as LA.....Lower Alabama.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed. My dad and his family are out of Hamilton County. Great (x3) Grandfather William Henry Harrison McLeod was a Confederate veteran.

As for myself? Born and raised Broward County kid. I fucking hate it down here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Because it is not dumb enough. With the obvious exception of the Panhandle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...in these areas and there are more country stations than any other genre.
View Quote

Yeah. I'm still pissed about Rock 104 in Gainesville changing formats to country.

Oh well, at least I can listen to rock104.com up here.  :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Look at the population distribution on the eve of the Civil War. Florida was sparsely populated, and south Florida had hardly any people at all (it was mostly alligator swamps). That vacuum was filled, in the 20th century, first by snowbirds and retirees from the Northeast, and then by Cuban refugees. Today, the culture of "the South" is mostly confined to northern Florida.

Something similar took place in Texas. At the time of the Civil War, the population was concentrated in the eastern part of the state. These were people who came from Louisiana, Tennessee, etc., and they brought their slave plantation culture with them. Places like Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, Waco, etc., were at the edge of the wild frontier.  After 1848. there was an influx of German immigrants into central Texas, and these people had nothing in common with the Old South. In fact, they were ardent Unionists. Some tried to secede from the state of Texas, and others went north to fight for the Union.

Having grown up in Austin, I would say that in no way is it part of "the South."
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Florida was the 3rd state to delcare secession. Aside from the fighting here and civil war forts, Pensacola has Lee square, memorial park with a monument to our confederate dead.

But there are a lot of carpetbaggers, so....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I don't disagree in the least... but it still aggravates me re: the panhandle.

BTW, interesting/entertaining series:  http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-states-got-their-shapes

(At least the eps I have seen were.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the map of the USA now and tell me it wasn't draw by a bunch of grade school kids.   That's why we have a Chef drawn down the middle of the map.  Just because a straight line would have been easier doesn't make it so.  

BTW, interesting/entertaining series:  http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-states-got-their-shapes

Great series.  back when the History Channel was about History.  

Personally I could care less.  Alabama is a nice state.  

I do however hate Mobile with a passion.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.

Because they don't eat grits in most of Florida.    

Bull Shit

And FL fed the Confederacy with Good Beef.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#36]
To all those who bitch about the lack of gun rights in their own states,  pay state and/or municipal income taxes, and talk shit about Florida; California awaits you with open arms.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

To all those who bitch about the lack of gun rights in their own states,  pay state and/or municipal income taxes, and talk shit about Florida; California awaits you with open arms.
View Quote

That is sure a fact. This showed up today.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Kansas cannot into population growth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know where to draw the line as far as north/ south, maybe Ocala?
I do know if you are in the southern end, stay off the coasts. Salt water seems to attract assholes. 8-)

If you stay in the middle of the state, 20 or so miles inland you will meet some fine polite folks who live a nice simple life. We also have the glades and don't have to worry about Yankees there.  They wouldn't last a night
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No shit.  Fl is the home of Southern Rock for God's sake if nothing else. All you good old boys talkin' shit about us but jammin' to any of the below have Florida to thank:

Allmans
Skynyrd
Petty
The Outlaws
Molly Hatchet
.38 Special

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FL is considered part of the South.   What a weird thread.

Allmans
Skynyrd
Petty
The Outlaws
Molly Hatchet
.38 Special

And except for Petty and The Outlaws, all of them came from Jacksonville. Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I live in this area, and it is as southern as you can get ya'll  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Count your blessings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From all the way back in the glory days of 2011.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

From what bastion of freedom do you hail?

Let me guess, NY or NJ.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My great, great great grandfather thought Florida was part of "The South" because he fought on the size of the Confederacy against an Union invasion of Florida at Olustee.

Growing up in Central Florida in the 50s and 60s we use to play Dixie at all the High School football games and everybody would stand and sing.

One of the largest Confederate flags in the US flies at the junction of I-4 and I-75.  There is a Confederate graveyard not too far from where I live and the flag is flown everyday.
View Quote

I know where that graveyard is. Its off of SR-60 and not to far down the road from where my cousin lives.
She is actually moving to TX next year because FL taxes and home insurance are to high, she has lived in FL all of her life.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Almost all of those cities have Walmarts that display deer stands out in front of the store and large, sectioned-off areas of camo and high-vis hunting gear. The Perry Walmart actually has it's hunting section at the front of the store where you would normally find a vision center or clearance room. You also see lots of lifted pickup trucks with dog cages in the back in these areas and there are more country stations than any other genre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perry WM was always a treat after hunting season for the sales.

There are still a lot of smaller towns and counties in SWFL that have not changed much. Just go inland 20mi. from the Gulf.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Let me guess, NY or NJ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess, NY or NJ.

You responded to a 2minkey post.

Ze troll has been fed, and hungers for more.

ETA: No offense, just I tend to ignore the guy each time he bangs furiously on the keyboard and clicks 'send'.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I know where that graveyard is. Its off of SR-60 and not to far down the road from where my cousin lives.

She is actually moving to TX next year because FL taxes and home insurance are to high, she has lived in FL all of her life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FL taxes are not high.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#49]
i guess your not from florida.....northern florida is the south....southern florida is a vacation and tourist spot....there are more southerners in northern florida than some other southern states
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#50]
too many damn yankees.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top