Quoted:
55 grain FMJ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot number is on the last picture in the opening post.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215113-666962.JPG
What's the bullet weight? 64+ grain?

I'm thinking out loud but I'm wondering if they accidentally kept the same powder charge for 50 or 55gr projectiles when they switched to heavier projectiles, or alternately, didn't completely clear out the powder dispensers from a switch from fast burning powder to slow burning powder.

I would've expected better from the Lake City plant.
55 grain FMJ
Yes 55 grain FMJ
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
In cases like this, does the ammo manufacturer foot the bill for repairing the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another picture of a spent case up close. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_221036-666954.JPG
View Quote
Damn, did it sound "off" or different when firing? I try to be perceptive of stuff like that whenever I crack open a fresh case.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here are a few empty cases we found after the Kaboom.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215804-666944.JPG
View Quote
Must have been the same lot I got a smoking deal on some time ago locally, $5.85 per box.
Heavy ejector smear in ARs.
Few missing primers.
Made my mini14 look like a Glock ejecting vertical.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In cases like this, does the ammo manufacturer foot the bill for repairing the rifle.
View Quote
Most of the time, but not always.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Your friend needs to be really sure that he saves those cases and the rest of that box of ammo, too.  Get in touch with Hornady with this evidence and I think you'll find that they're very interested in dealing with your friend in a fair manner.

He has them by the balls,  pretty much.

If Hornady asks for you to send them the unfired ammo, send them SOME of it for testing but retain some for evidentiary purposes and be sure to tell them that this is the case.

Document everything.

Don't let them bury evidence.   I don't think Hornady would do that but it never hurts to CYA.

If they're not REALLY helpful and willing to cover replacement costs, then speak to an attorney.   The evidence is clear enough.  This is a solid product liability case in the making if your friend chooses to escalate to that level.

That lot of ammo needs a recall at the very least.

This is why I only shoot my own handloads.  Because I know EXACTLY what goes into each and every one of them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
There’s a reason it’s budget I guess. Have to trim cost somewhere. I’ll not buy frontier for sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
just bought 4 boxes of it.  guess I will check the lot. but maybe save them for last break glass in  case of emergency.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In before it's because piston guns "shit where they eat."
View Quote
That's DI. You got the saying back'ards, homy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn, glad j saw this, almost bought a case today.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Double post.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Really glad no one was injured
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#15]
What was the temperature when your friend was shooting? Was his ammo laying in the sun before he shot it?

Some powders burn faster at high ambient temperatures. Same problem if he let a cartridge sit in a hot chamber for a few minutes before firing. This could cause overpressure.

If he shot it on a cold winter day, he probably would not have overpressure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet that will save time when you go to reload!
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What was the temperature when your friend was shooting? Was his ammo laying in the sun before he shot it?

Some powders burn faster at high ambient temperatures. Same problem if he let a cartridge sit in a hot case for a few minutes before firing. This could cause overpressure.

View Quote
Regardless if it does, it shouldn't make enough of a difference to destroy the gun

But what do I know, I shoot in the sun all the dang time with a bunch of loaded black pmags cooking before they get fired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Some powders burn faster at high ambient temperatures. Same problem if he let a cartridge sit in a hot case for a few minutes before firing. This could cause overpressure.

View Quote
It was about 80 degrees outside and very cloudy. The ammo was bought last night and never sat in the sun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had a friend that was having a ton of issues with his new Springfield Saint AR-15 and Frontier (but LC branded?) ammo. We're still not sure if it was the rifle, the ammo, or both. Basically had a lot of FTE/FTF issues, blown primers.. primer debris would get stuck in the trigger assembly area and impede trigger function. Charging handle would get stuck and we'd have to use a multi-tool to force the bolt back and eject a chewed up fresh round. Happened every range trip after 2-3 magazines.
View Quote
I’ve put about 150 rounds of various Frontier ammo through my AR’s, a Marlin X7 and a Savage 12. The only problem I’ve had was hard primers. About 10 rounds required a second (or third) strike to set off the round. But never observed any issues with primer set back, blow-out, piercings, etc.

In fact, the Frontier was noticeably more accurate than the Winchester, Federal, AE, PPU and Fiocchi I was shooting along side it. It has been better than 2.0 MOA in a couple of my guns.

I’m curious if it’s overcharged or a defect in the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#20]
wow, thats some hot stuff if its blowing crimped primers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Zoinks! Are you able to pull a bullet and weigh the powder charge? I’m curious. And I doubt it would be easy to check headspace with the BCG blown apart
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#22]
You just convinced me to NEVER buy or shoot this ammo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Zoinks! Are you able to pull a bullet and weigh the powder charge? I’m curious.
View Quote
Pretty please
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Is this ammo actually loaded by Hornady or loaded by LC for Hornady?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#25]
At least the PMAG survived...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've put about 150 rounds of various Frontier ammo through my AR's, a Marlin X7 and a Savage 12. The only problem I've had was hard primers. About 10 rounds required a second (or third) strike to set off the round. But never observed any issues with primer set back, blow-out, piercings, etc.

In fact, the Frontier was noticeably more accurate than the Winchester, Federal, AE, PPU and Fiocchi I was shooting along side it. It has been better than 2.0 MOA in a couple of my guns.

I'm curious if it's overcharged or a defect in the weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a friend that was having a ton of issues with his new Springfield Saint AR-15 and Frontier (but LC branded?) ammo. We're still not sure if it was the rifle, the ammo, or both. Basically had a lot of FTE/FTF issues, blown primers.. primer debris would get stuck in the trigger assembly area and impede trigger function. Charging handle would get stuck and we'd have to use a multi-tool to force the bolt back and eject a chewed up fresh round. Happened every range trip after 2-3 magazines.
I've put about 150 rounds of various Frontier ammo through my AR's, a Marlin X7 and a Savage 12. The only problem I've had was hard primers. About 10 rounds required a second (or third) strike to set off the round. But never observed any issues with primer set back, blow-out, piercings, etc.

I'm curious if it's overcharged or a defect in the weapon.
I'm not sure either, he's bringing the rifle to a gunsmith later this week to have it checked out. If I recall correctly, he did put some XM193 through it after the Frontier stuff, but continued to run into cycling issues. In contrast the past year+ I've shot nothing, but LC XM193, Magtech M193, IMI M193, PPU M193, PMP M193, and MEN M193 through AR15s, a Tavor, and a SCAR16 with no issues
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Cabelas website has a review from 2 months ago claiming the ammo blew up their gun as well, and had popped primers.

This is why I stick with Federal/AmEagle
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Its interesting also because I've chronoed this load and its noticeably slower than IMI, PPU and LC M193.

I've had zero issues with the 62gr SP, 55gr FMJ and 75gr T2 5.56 loadings. In fact, they're all fairly slow for 5.56 loads.

My 75gr handloads are faster than their T2 and I'm not even close to max loads (24gr Ramshot TAC).

I've got several hundred of the 75gr for a rainy day. I'll have to shoot 5 from each box over a chrono to verify  pressure
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Tago
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Wait doesn't this ammo have a track record with KBs?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged for a response from Hornady.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#33]
It is not the rifle guys. It is the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Please post pics of the lot#..should be on the box or inside the flap...
View Quote
Look at the pretty pichures in the OP.  Or the one just above your post after the other guy who didn't read the OP either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag. Let's see what Hornady has to say for themselves...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wait doesn't this ammo have a track record with KBs?
View Quote
Yes it does
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:42:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I read plenty of reviews on that stuff which told me to avoid it for now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a sneaky suspicion American Reloading is about to have pull 55 FMJ and surplus pulled powder on sale in a couple of months...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wow. Serious over pressure signs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another picture of a spent case up close. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_221036-666954.JPG
Wow. Serious over pressure signs.
Yikes. One glimpse of that case would have been a huge red flag.

Call Hornady tomorrow, they need to recall that production lot, if every round is loaded like that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here are a few empty cases we found after the Kaboom.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215804-666944.JPG
View Quote
Hey they are already deprimed for reloading
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a sneaky suspicion American Reloading is about to have pull 55 FMJ and surplus pulled powder on sale in a couple of months...
View Quote
Lol, start low and work up !
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Damn I just got 1k of this ammo from PSA, going to shoot it though and see how it goes. Hopefully no issues. I’ll run it through a Mk18 and see what happens. Glad no one was hurt maybe Hornady will weigh in on this soon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:12:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn I just got 1k of this ammo from PSA, going to shoot it though and see how it goes. Hopefully no issues. I’ll run it through a Mk18 and see what happens. Glad no one was hurt maybe Hornady will weigh in on this soon.
View Quote

Why even the chance?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:15:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Little hot!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why even the chance?
View Quote
Unless the lot is the same I'd shoot it too.

If we went off anecdotal evidence nobody should ever shoot IMI 77gr, 55gr, LC XM193, Independence 193, etc...lots of mainstream loads have had overpressure issues at some point.

Looks like all my 75gr T2 is one lot. Ill shoot one box if its good I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I've shot some already but may as well check again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow that not good at all
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:38:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Press articles make it seem that it's loaded by LC using Hornady projectiles, and then sold by Hornady under the Frontier brand. It should've been quality economy ammo with that combination but it's now obvious that there's issues.

The mystery will be who is at fault. Is it Hornady for demanding a spec that's too hot or is it LC for a lack of quality control?

In all of this, I'm just surprised Vista Outdoors (aka ATK aka Federal/Speer/CCI) has agreed to a joint venture with a competing company (Hornady). Last I knew, ATK has the contract to operate the LC plant.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hornady provides the bullet, which is then loaded into brass made at LC with LC powder and primers.  Outside of the headstamp, the projectile is really the only difference from what comes off the line as AE M193.  This is the 2nd go around of popped primers in the Frontier line.  I’ve got to wonder if there is some minor difference in the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Has OP listed the lot number of that ammo yet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Press articles make it seem that it's loaded by LC using Hornady projectiles, and then sold by Hornady under the Frontier brand. It should've been quality economy ammo with that combination but it's now obvious that there's issues.

The mystery will be who is at fault. Is it Hornady for demanding a spec that's too hot or is it LC for a lack of quality control?

In all of this, I'm just surprised Vista Outdoors (aka ATK aka Federal/Speer/CCI) has agreed to a joint venture with a competing company (Hornady). Last I knew, ATK has the contract to operate the LC plant.
View Quote
Vista and ATK are no longer tied together. They do business, but not exclusively.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top