Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without knowing what the burn characteristics of the powder are, weighing the powder load will not tell you anything.  A number of years ago, a friend mistakenly loaded 2400 instead of 4198 in a 7mm TCU, the results were impressive.  Fortunately the Thompson Center Contender is a VERY strong firearm, but he did stretch the frame.

Commercial manufacturers do not use the same powders that we can normally purchase from our suppliers. They purchase to a general spec and test the powder prior to establishing a load.
View Quote
When I worked at Federal Cartridge they had kegs and kegs of commercially labelled powder.

The stickers looked like what you would find on an 8lb bottle, but the kegs were much much bigger.  Colors logos, all were the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
We've run around 2,400,000rds of horn frontier through our full autos so far.  I'm still buying it and that number is not including this month.  No problems at all
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the cam pin?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is the cam pin?
View Quote
Obviously - stuck in the upper.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I worked at Federal Cartridge they had kegs and kegs of commercially labelled powder.

The stickers looked like what you would find on an 8lb bottle, but the kegs were much much bigger.  Colors logos, all were the same.
View Quote
This is Exactly what I figured
This whole "mystery powder" thing never made much sense to me
As if they get "unknown" powder in barrels, then have to experiment with it and eventually mix it with other unknown powders until they come up with some super secret elixir for a lot of ammo, then do it all again next go round.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I sit corrected.  Though the story on "pulled powder" from military ammo is that it can vary substantially from lot to lot and you need to verify your loads when you change lots of the same powder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I am just throwing this out there as I have only read the 1st, 5th, and 6th pages.

Everyone keeps mentioning powder amounts.  If this load is a ball powder at or near maxium loads and it was hot (temperature) outside there's a possibility that pressures built up to an over charge load.   Alliant ball powders are known for being temperature sensitive.

Another issue Ive seen and heard about is how much carbon might have been built up in the leade or freebore area of the barrel.  If it had not been cleaned properly or shot a bunch that day with different loads it can cause pressure spikes too.

People who shoot rifle competition long enough see some weird things at times.

To be honest without a metallurgy test and load testing on that lot of powder under similar circumstances its all guessing...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
With the Frontier ammo being relatively new to market, the prevalence of similar issues isn’t very encouraging.

Took minimal effort to compile the links below. All mention issues with blown primers. At least one other KB alleged. Quite a few complaints of “dud” rounds as well.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hornady-frontier-556-nato-55-grain-centerfire-rifle-ammunition

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/frontier-cartridge-centerfire-rifle-ammo

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/hornady-frontier-556-nato-ammunition-20-rounds-68-grain-bthp-match-2690fps-090255711608.do

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Hornady-Frontier-Possibly-loaded-hotter-than-193-AND-855-/16-727225/

http://www.nevadashooters.com/threads/hornady-frontier-hot-loads-weapon-failure.141146/

I’m pretty good about giving the benefit of the doubt. Maybe even a little more leniency for those companies who’ve established a good name for themselves. When it comes to ammo, Hornady and Federal have earned their “street cred”. But if this keeps up, they may have some splanin’ to do.

ETA: Another instance to add to the above list. Frontier ammo and, this time, another KB (called out by backbencher)...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/My-AR-exploded-in-my-face-today--Can-anyone-tell-me-why-/66-731445/
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As if they get "unknown" powder in barrels, then have to experiment with it and eventually mix it with other unknown powders until they come up with some super secret elixir for a lot of ammo, then do it all again next go round.
View Quote
The latter...somewhat accurate.  It’s not unknown powder, but powder lot to lot varies.  X grains of powder made today is not equal to X grains 6 months from today.  So you test velocity run to run and adjust powder quantity accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I know its not, but project eldest son comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With the Frontier ammo being relatively new to market, the prevalence of similar issues isn’t very encouraging.

Took minimal effort to compile the links below. All mention issues with blown primers. At least one other KB alleged. Quite a few complaints of “dud” rounds as well.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hornady-frontier-556-nato-55-grain-centerfire-rifle-ammunition

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/frontier-cartridge-centerfire-rifle-ammo

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/hornady-frontier-556-nato-ammunition-20-rounds-68-grain-bthp-match-2690fps-090255711608.do

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Hornady-Frontier-Possibly-loaded-hotter-than-193-AND-855-/16-727225/

http://www.nevadashooters.com/threads/hornady-frontier-hot-loads-weapon-failure.141146/

I’m pretty good about giving the benefit of the doubt. Maybe even a little more leniency for those companies who’ve established a good name for themselves. When it comes to ammo, Hornady and Federal have earned their “street cred”. But if this keeps up, they may have some splanin’ to do.
View Quote
Unfortunately, the one thing missing from all of those reviews is the one detail we need the most; lot numbers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#12]
if your friend still has the blown primer'd brass, is there any other visible damage? like indentations or scratches?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Chance number one to stop shooting the ammo...
Chance number two to stop shooting the ammo...
Chance number three to stop shooting the ammo
Chance number four to stop shooting the ammo .

Chance number Kaboom.

I have only seen one kaboom but there were signs that something was wrong and with those primers being blown out that is a huge sign the ammo is over charged. I am glad you friend is okay but send those cart and the ammo back and ask for a replacement AR. The ammo manufacturer really screwed the Pooh on those carts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here are a few empty cases we found after the Kaboom.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215804-666944.JPG
Chance number one to stop shooting the ammo...
Chance number two to stop shooting the ammo...
Chance number three to stop shooting the ammo
Chance number four to stop shooting the ammo .

Chance number Kaboom.

I have only seen one kaboom but there were signs that something was wrong and with those primers being blown out that is a huge sign the ammo is over charged. I am glad you friend is okay but send those cart and the ammo back and ask for a replacement AR. The ammo manufacturer really screwed the Pooh on those carts
Now come on, how good are your eyes that you can see empty primer pockets flinging quickly out of the corner of vision?  Do you stop after every shot and walk 20 feet to inspect your brass?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag for safety and more info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Midway has a sale on Frontier Ammo 150 rounds for $42.99
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
28 cents a pop
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I paid for mine about a month ago from Midway. See my posts earlier in the thread. The ones I received from Midway have a different lot # format and different item # from the 150 round boxes others have bought elsewhere. Haven't shot any yet but I will this weekend out of a couple different uppers (11.5" 5.56, 16" 5.56 and 16" PredatAR). I'll be checking all of my brass and if all is well, I'll be buying more at that price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]
If *MY* gun had kaboomed, I'd have been on the phone Monday morning... so I'm a bit confused by the OP's friend's seeming lack of action on this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have shot around 300 or so rounds from Hornadys 55 grain hollow point match. It comes from the same frontier line of ammo and so far it has been a great load with no over pressure signs or anything abnormal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Looking at the pics.

The bolt carrier let go versus the bolt.  I don't think it was an overcharged round.  Gas is not blown back into the gun to open the bolt because it is piston and the bolt is still in the barrel extention.

My guess, is the bolt carrier broke and when the piston gave it a punch and the bolt was not pulled out of battery.  This is why I asked about the cam pin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

28 cents a boom
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looking at the pics.

The bolt carrier let go versus the bolt.  I don't think it was an overcharged round.  
View Quote
When the case fails - gasses enter the carrier in excess of what it was designed for.  This is exactly what happens during an overpressure event.  The bolt normally does not shear, but case failure results in damage to the areas that cannot be contained, such as the extractor, and venting gas into the firing pin channel.

How do you explain:

1.  The massive ejector flow in the brass on previous rounds.
2.  The blown primers

This event was caused by case failure.  The root cause of the case failure was either bad brass, or overpressure.

"Overcharged" is a misnomer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When the case fails - gasses enter the carrier in excess of what it was designed for.  This is exactly what happens during an overpressure event.  The bolt normally does not shear, but case failure results in damage to the areas that cannot be contained, such as the extractor, and venting gas into the firing pin channel.

How do you explain:

1.  The massive ejector flow in the brass on previous rounds.
2.  The blown primers

This issues was caused by case failure.  The cause of the case failure was either bad brass, or overpressure.

"Overcharged" is a misnomer.
View Quote
True all.  My point, the bolt is still intact, the carrier failed as a result of the brass/round failure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here are a few empty cases we found after the Kaboom.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215804-666944.JPG
View Quote
HOLY SHIT BALLS!   Those extractor wipes are insane, along with the missing primers!  That ammo was screaming at him to STOP!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now come on, how good are your eyes that you can see empty primer pockets flinging quickly out of the corner of vision?  Do you stop after every shot and walk 20 feet to inspect your brass?
View Quote
There are often other signs with a load stout enough to blow a rifle up.  The recoil and report are usually more pronounced.  I can easily feel the difference in a lighter loaded shot vs a near max load.  Although, if you are starting out with a near-max and at some point it veers into over-max that might be a little harder to discern for sure.

Bottom line - Those are the only signs you are going to get.  If you start finding brass with heavy extractor wipes and blown primers that's as much prior warning as you are going to get from the mechanical side.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If *MY* gun had kaboomed, I'd have been on the phone Monday morning... so I'm a bit confused by the OP's friend's seeming lack of action on this.
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ditto
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  If *MY* gun had kaboomed, I'd have been on the phone Monday morning... so I'm a bit confused by the OP's friend's seeming lack of action on this.
Ditto
OP's buddy works so hard he doesn't even have time for ARFCOM, let alone calling ammo manufacturers while on the clock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP's buddy works so hard he doesn't even have time for ARFCOM, let alone calling ammo manufacturers while on the clock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  If *MY* gun had kaboomed, I'd have been on the phone Monday morning... so I'm a bit confused by the OP's friend's seeming lack of action on this.
Ditto
I have that problem.  I have a gun that needs to go back to Ruger, but I have trouble finding the time during the day.  I always think about it on evenings and weekends.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ditto
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto
My friend works as a first responder and owns his own business. He has very little time to take care of personal stuff. He said he would call them Friday. I will let you know any info, as soon as he let's me know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My friend works as a first responder and owns his own business. He has very little time to take care of personal stuff. He said he would call them Friday. I will let you know any info, as soon as he let's me know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto
Fair enough, but I think he's going to be hurting his case... "Hey, I was shooting your ammo a few months back and my gun blew up!"
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad to hear your friend is ok
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m curious to know if there are a couple bullets stuck in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ah yes, understandable then!

I agree though, if he can spare the time sooner than later I think it will go smoother for him with Hornady.  Really interested to see what they say.

I had a buddy who builds a lot of rifles take a look at the thread and his opinion was it’s the rifle, not the ammo.  That’s my humble, non-scientific addition to the thread.

I’m an ammo idiot, so I’ll leave it up to you experts to discuss!

Glad your buddy wasn’t hurt, and thanks for sharing this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammo companies absolutely have custom blended powders (in addition to commercially available powders).  The exact weight of the powder charge will often vary from lot to lot as they attempt to match the characteristics of the previous load.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged for updates
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Bump...

FWIW, I grabbed the Lot Numbers from all of the Frontier ammo I recently purchased. Compiled into a spreadsheet...

My intent all along was to do accuracy testing and comparison. Since it was already going to be slow fire, I’ll be taking special care to note/log any pressure signs, failures, etc.

I have 3 boxes of each of the 6 loadings. My plan with each box is to shoot 4 three shot groups, and 1 five shot group. I’ll spread the testing over multiple range trips; running through only one box of each loading per visit. All the data will be compiled and likely posted in a new thread.

Given the (perceived) prevalence of issues with their new Frontier line, I’m measuring OAL and cartridge weight for all rounds in the first 6 boxes I’ll be working through. While I’m at it, I’m inspecting the cases as well. So far, visibly, nothing has looked out of the ordinary. And the OAL and cartridge weight numbers are fairly consistent; with OAL being well below the .223/5.56 maximum.

The 55 gr. data is as follows (20 rounds averaged for each load):

.223 HP Match
Cartridge Weight: 176 gr. (high/low spread of 3 grains)
OAL: 2.175” (high/low spread of .016”)

5.56 HP Match
Cartridge Weight: 177 gr. (high/low spread of 2 grains)
OAL: 2.191” (high/low spread of .015”)
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You got that backwards. It's still retarded but you did it wrong.
View Quote
I know it was sarcasm because of all the piston fanboys blaming every malfunction ever on di systems.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's what I paid for mine about a month ago from Midway. See my posts earlier in the thread. The ones I received from Midway have a different lot # format and different item # from the 150 round boxes others have bought elsewhere. Haven't shot any yet but I will this weekend out of a couple different uppers (11.5" 5.56, 16" 5.56 and 16" PredatAR). I'll be checking all of my brass and if all is well, I'll be buying more at that price.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

18" LaRue Stealth, some minor ejector/extractor marks but that's pretty normal for any 5.56 loads from this barrel
Attachment Attached File

16" factory built Stag (2009 vintage) CL barrel, no pressure signs
Attachment Attached File

11.5" Stone Mountain Arsenal melonite barrel, 5.56 chamber, no pressure signs
Attachment Attached File

I feel safe shooting the 900 rounds of this that I have.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am just throwing this out there as I have only read the 1st, 5th, and 6th pages.

Everyone keeps mentioning powder amounts.  If this load is a ball powder at or near maxium loads and it was hot (temperature) outside there's a possibility that pressures built up to an over charge load.   Alliant ball powders are known for being temperature sensitive.

Another issue Ive seen and heard about is how much carbon might have been built up in the leade or freebore area of the barrel.  If it had not been cleaned properly or shot a bunch that day with different loads it can cause pressure spikes too.

To be honest without a metallurgy test and load testing on that lot of powder under similar circumstances its all guessing...
View Quote
Here are some pictures of what I am describing.  The before cleaning can raise pressure to over pressure levels.
Attachment Attached File

Before:

Attachment Attached File

After:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here are some pictures of what I am describing.  The before cleaning can raise pressure to over pressure levels.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15008/CarbonRing-673823.JPG
Before:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15008/CarbonRingCleean-673835.JPG
After:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15008/Scan10066-673826.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before:

After:

I am not saying that's impossible.... but I am saying it is highly improbable.  I cannot tell you the number of times I fired 1000-1500 rounds of M193 over a weekend of shooting at the Hun farm..... and I never saw any more pressure signs on the first round after cleaning to the last.  Nor have I EVER heard of anyone having such a problem.  I shot competitions around the country for years, too.

If ammo becomes dangerous because of some carbon buildup from normal shooting, then the ammo is still at fault.  I don't care what other external factors play in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Before:

After:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before:

After:

It might be possible, but I seriously doubt it.

If that were a real issue, we'd hear of it causing issues all the time. There are tons of people who never touch the barrels of their AR's, and dont have over pressure issues.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:24:26 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Added it to the list I’d compiled earlier in the thread...Hornady Frontier - Blown Primers, KBs, and more!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#44]
My friend just messaged me and Hornady asked him to send his upper and ammo in.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good deal.  Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good deal.  Keep us updated.
View Quote
Seconded
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#47]
i will buy ammo, email me!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#48]
damn ammo
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any updates?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#50]
My friend is still waiting to here from Hornady. They have his upper.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top