Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 11/20/2018 5:31:48 AM EDT
Hmmmm...

‘She’s Not Coming Back’: Woman Goes Missing While Vacationing In Mexico, Boyfriend Devastated

"PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A local woman vacationing in Mexico disappeared seven days ago.

Police there have searched for Caley Manning of Mount Washington, but have been unable to find her..."

"...“You want that person coming right through the door, smiling and saying, ‘Hey, I’m back,’ but I know for a fact, she’s not coming back,” said Patrick Smith, Manning’s boyfriend of two years.

Manning went on vacation with some girlfriends, staying at a resort on an island near Cancun. One night she stayed out to explore the town on her own, according to Smith.

“The next morning her roommate contacted me and asked if I had talked to her, and I said no,” said Smith..."

"Even before Manning was reported missing, he says witnesses reported seeing a woman go into the ocean by a sea wall.

“It’s not very good water to swim in. It’s all craggy. It’s all rocky,” said Smith. “My girlfriend, Caley, is from Florida, big swimmer, loves the water.”

More at link.

I'm thinking staying out alone at night "to explore the town" is a bad idea in Cancun...

SUN, SEA AND SLAUGHTER Mexico’s party hotspot Cancun sees 14 murdered in 36 hours as tourist town is overrun by drug gang violence
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#1]
She gone.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Something tells me that relationship was doomed anyway
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet there are still people here saying there are safe parts of Mexico.
View Quote
There are... NEW Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
"The resorts in Mexico are extremely safe" -GD goobers that know nothing about mehico.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anything good happen in Mexico?
And people still want to go there for vacation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't wrap my mind around why people still want to vacation in these third world shitholes. Especially when we have so much to offer here. I have no sympathy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
But that's the touristy part of Mexico.  Surely they don't want to endanger their tourism!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why wouldn't they? Does committing suicide in a safe place cause it to become an unsafe place?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
She could've just drowned in a pool in FL.
Something not right, but could've happened anywhere. Personal responsibility.
If she got drunk and thought, "I'll go for a swim", bad decision.
Preparing for my 2 weeks in Mehico currently. Ready to dodge knives and bullets.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Why people still go to Mexico is beyond me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Every year my friends who hunt deer in Mexico beg me to go with them for free.

I would sooner go to Africa hunting than Mexico
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Mexico is coming to a state near you eventually.

We must invade Mexico, destroy all the drug cartel and any other bad people living there then seal our border.

Tell the UN to fuck off when complaints start- they have done NOTHING to fix any situation ever.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Blonde good-looking American gal venturing out into a Mexican town by herself? Something tells me that didn't work out so well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If it was just her being drunk and going swimming at night in a dangerous area then you can't really blame it on Mexico.  Not that I would vacation in Mexico, which I would like to, I want to see those pyramids.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]
"Explore the town on her own" aka went slumming and got deaded.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We must invade Mexico, destroy all the drug cartel and any other bad people living there then seal our border.
View Quote
The only reason there are cartels full of bad people is because of the war on drugs. I learned this here in GD. If we just make drugs legal, the cartels in Mexico will magically turn good, and won't kidnap, rape, torture and kill people anymore. Drugs are good, see?  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it myself, but it must be so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I could think of  HUNDREDS of other places to vacation besides Mexico.

Its like the missionaries  that go over to shit holes in Africa then get killed in said shit hole.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something tells me that relationship was doomed anyway
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
travelwarning.jpg
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Manning was staying on Isla Mujeres at Hotel Rocomar.

The island is not Cancun (shithole) or the Hotel Zone with all the high level tourist traffic.

It's relatively quiet with the only auto traffic being island police and taxis.  Tourist drive rental golf carts.

Minimal if any cartel activity.  I say minimal because I have not seen any unlike Cancun.

The town of El Centro has nice restaurants, shops and cantinas and its all foot traffic.

Hotel Rocomar is on the Atlantic side near the north end of the island.

I've walked those same island streets at night with little or no worries.

This sounds like a terrible mishap based on really bad judgement if she went night swimming.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#22]
The first rule of going to a resort in Mexico is, NEVER LEAVE THE RESORT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've seen a lot of this rock and am never leaving CONUS again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a problem for me, because if I drank the water, I would probably never leave the toilet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was my conclusion after seeing multiple countries on three continents in my military career.

Fuck the rest of the world.  Most of it is garbage.

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not a problem for me, because if I drank the water, I would probably never leave the toilet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is rule number two.  Don't drink the water, and don't forget that ice cubes are made of water.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#27]
This reminds me of the sad flyers kids distribute in my AO of "lost" fat, lazy house cats with names like "Fluffy," even as I go to sleep to the howling of coyotes....
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The island is not Cancun (shithole) or the Hotel Zone with all the high level tourist traffic.

It's relatively quiet with the only auto traffic being island police and taxis.  Tourist drive rental golf carts.

Minimal if any cartel activity.  I say minimal because I have not seen any unlike Cancun.

The town of El Centro has nice restaurants, shops and cantinas and its all foot traffic.

This sounds like a terrible mishap based on really bad judgement if she went night swimming.
View Quote
Yep but this is GD. If there is another country or race involved then it’s automatically their  fault
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That is rule number two.  Don't drink the water, and don't forget that ice cubes are made of water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the restaurants and cantinas on Isla Mujeres use filtered water.
Never had a problem there unlike downtown Cancun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"The resorts in Mexico are extremely safe" -GD goobers that know nothing about mehico.
View Quote
Just don't go outside the wire.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Preparing for my 2 weeks in Mehico currently. Ready to dodge knives and bullets.
View Quote
That training scene from "Matrix" comes to mind as a "prepare for vacation" video... lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Do Mexicans have bunker busters?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup or it was intentional
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Y'all are a bunch of Nancy's.   I go to Cancun several times a month and have never felt any more in danger than I would walking around any city in CONUS.

I'm as gringo as it gets and the only issues I have is getting the guys pushing the clubs and strip clubs to stop following me.  I guess I have that "tourist in need of hooker" look.

So yeah...I'm that GD guy...
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#35]
... don't swim drunk at night, in the ocean, in waters that you're unfamiliar with
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
... don't swim drunk at night, in the ocean, in waters that you're unfamiliar with
View Quote
Proven over and over every and all summer at the Jersey shore.
Bennies can be some dumb SOB's
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#37]
People don't think Mexico be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Manning was staying on Isla Mujeres Muerté at Hotel Rocomar.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had a short discussion on that a few weeks ago with someone I don't talk to often... Someone else was taking a vacation to Mexico, and several people commented on how dangerous it is down there. She seemed to think that it wasn't as dangerous as people think, so I pointed out it can't be much worse than Chicago
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#41]
14 murders in 36 hours, good job cancun that's alongside our worst cities now
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Didn't we have some guy who tried to ride a motorcycle across central and South America and was murdered?
View Quote
Bicyclists I thought. Or I guess that was Mexico proper.

Found a story of someone doing a motorcycle trip back in 2014 that was found dead. Also in Mexico.

Found another one from 2011 in Peru, but he was hit by a bus on a curvy road.

It happens so often, it's hard to find the right stories!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Y'all are a bunch of Nancy's.   I go to Cancun several times a month and have never felt any more in danger than I would walking around any city in CONUS.

I'm as gringo as it gets and the only issues I have is getting the guys pushing the clubs and strip clubs to stop following me.  I guess I have that "tourist in need of hooker" look.

View Quote
Well we are on a site that has half it’s members deathly afraid of 40lbs dogs that kill 10X less people each year than ladders
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just shake my head every time one of my wife's friends talks about vacationing in Mexico.

A guy I worked with a few years ago talked about retiring in Mexico.  I told him he was crazy as hell.  He said, "Oh no.  It's a gated retirement community.  Armed guards and gates/fences, patrolled 24/7, etc., etc., etc.  He retired and he and his wife moved to Mexico.  Two years later they are back.  Too many breaking/enterings, too much lost/damaged stuff from the house.  The armed guards were never around.  No one every got caught (imagine that - either bought off or scared off or both).
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#45]
My brother and I strayed away from the touristy area of Cozumel when on a cruise a few years ago. It got extremely sketchy very quick. It's a stop on the cruise my family has booked next year. I don't think I'll get off the ship this time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Searchers: "Hey did you two guys see a blonde American woman walking around last night?"

Rapists/Murderers: "Yeah man, we saw her down by the sea wall. Said something about maybe going for a swim."
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Didn't we have some guy who tried to ride a motorcycle across central and South America and was murdered?
View Quote
Yep, I remember that.  I didn't think he was on here, but I saw something on the news about it years ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dibs on guns, optics, ammo fort, night vision, reloading gear, and any cash reserves.

(Did I miss anything?)
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Not telling anyone what to do or where to go. Just curious, wondering how many of the posters who label Mexico a shithole have ever been there. Sure there are areas that are just like any town in America. Some good. Some bad. Have been going to Rivera Maya or Cozumel for about 20 years. Just like anywhere else, common sense is your friend.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you go to Cancun 3 times a month ? Something just aint right with that statement ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top