User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The current non-ecoboost Ford Explorer PUVs are slow, fragile pieces of shit.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The current non-ecoboost Ford Explorer PUVs are slow, fragile pieces of shit.  

You're not smart, are you? They are faster than a Crown Vic, handle well and brake well and my fat ass fits in them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Not only are those bad police cars they're a symptom.

...the people in government are stealing too much money from people.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]

"The MAN"

...always trying to trick you into calling him into your life.   Hail what looks like a cab... get an interdiction.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First thing I searched for

http://s3.amazonaws.com/airforcephotos.togetherweserved.com/257394_med.jpg

Edit: better picture
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1980's series Chysler K Car.  We had a shit ton of them when I was in the AF Security Police (I believe the Army MP's got some too).  4 cylinder engines .  We were told that Chrysler had to give the DOD and Government good prices on them in return for the Chrysler bail out with Iacocca.  K cars were seen being used by a lot of Military and Federal agencies.

I saw an AF SP 1983 Gran Fury t-bone a CNDer driving a Mini Cooper trying to make it to the first C-5 that landed at RAF Greenham-Common.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I heard several horror stories about these, from electrical gremlins, to self immolating brake pads....

http://policecararchives.org/idaho/payette_images/cnpca15722-vi.jpg
View Quote

Only thing great about those was the legroom. Everything else? Not so much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not everybody . First dept. I worked for I got an 89 Diplomat . Best Patrol Car I ever had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shilled? Hell, we are buying more because they have worked so well for us...

Well good luck to you then. Are you a cop? No one in my area, second most populous area in Pennsylvania with several of the largest PDs in the state has anything good to say about them

I am, and our agency is one of several in our state that has gone to them, and likes them. Different strokes and all that, I suppose. Anything would be better than a Charger.

88 Diplomat, first patrol car, what a POS...92 Caprice was my favorite..

Well we can at least agree on how shitty Dodges are

Not everybody . First dept. I worked for I got an 89 Diplomat . Best Patrol Car I ever had.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]

People would call 911 as there was a fake cop car trying to pull them over. There was even one woman that wouldn't pull over until a black and white from another jurisdiction pulled up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Of ones I've patrolled in?

Grand Fury, no contest.  I was in one for my very first  felony pursuit.  Damn near died when I stepped on the very overheated brakes and NOTHING happened.  Took almost two miles to stop.  I was chasing a Dodge Aspen at the time.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shilled? Hell, we are buying more because they have worked so well for us...

Well good luck to you then. Are you a cop? No one in my area, second most populous area in Pennsylvania with several of the largest PDs in the state has anything good to say about them

I am, and our agency is one of several in our state that has gone to them, and likes them. Different strokes and all that, I suppose. Anything would be better than a Charger.

88 Diplomat, first patrol car, what a POS...92 Caprice was my favorite..

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The way our tablets are mounted you have to be a damn contortionist to hit the trunk release or climate controls too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you have to slam on the brakes send then hammer the gas. Then...nothing but high RPMs and nothing to show for it.

The parts in bold are very true.  

I've got one of the new Taurus patrol cars.  Very comfortable to drive. Very fast. Handles great. Fantastic in snow.
The interior and instrument lights are a "bedazzling" spectacle of retarded monkey-shinery.    
I've got shit covered with electrical tape, cardboard and black paint, just so I can use the damn thing at night for it's "intended" purpose as a patrol car.

The way our tablets are mounted you have to be a damn contortionist to hit the trunk release or climate controls too

The brake slam / gas hammer / nothing but high revs is a problem.  The first time I did it, I almost wrote it up thinking that something was broken.

We've also had a problem where if you make a fast turnaround wherein you brake, throw it in reverse, and then hammer the gas, the fucking things have a good chance of stalling.  I've read elsewhere that the transmission is being blamed for that.

On the plus side, they're much superior to the CVPI in snow.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
My former ride I was issued as a new Detective:

I give you the 1998 Ford Taurus. Oh, and I got it in 2004.  And the Detective who took my place is still driving it............................

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
PPD used to have Dodge Omnis in the 6th & 9th Districts because they would fit on the sidewalks around City Hall!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
City of Condon, OR had cars just like this in the late 70's.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/ranger721/4953205D-8FCA-43AF-A492-76167E160A90.jpg
View Quote

They had to one up Fossil
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]

That one is damn sweet!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lol

Hint: driver sits in what we consider passenger side in the UK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also no driver lol... Motion Blur Effect to Maximum Derp!

Lol

Hint: driver sits in what we consider passenger side in the UK.
yup crazy world pic a friend has one and yer two seats

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't the Fairmont the basis of the Fox body Mustang?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AWD Charger is the best I've ever had (so far).  Its quick, it handles like a dream, its comfortable, and even the high beam indicator dims down at night with the rest of the dash lights.  I think its more comfortable than the Explorers.  Also, the 2014.5+ Chargers have massive brakes compared for former years so I'm hoping they will last longer.

We've had just as much downtime (if not more) with the Tauruses (Tauri?) than with the Dodges.  While the Dodges are in for brakes, the Fords are in for recalls.  Actual mechanical issues have been about the same for both.  The non-ecoboost Explorers are just being issued here so down time is yet to be determined but about half the guys with the Explorers are wishing they got AWD Chargers instead.

My list for the worst cars during my lifetime:
-Ford Taurus (new and old) (reliability on the new ones has been average but the design is horrible)
-Late 90's and early 2000's Chevy Impala (if you think the new ones are bad, you should've had one of those pieces)
-Dodge Intrepid (proactive patrol guys were averaging 3,000 miles per set of brake pads)
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We had Chevy Lumina's at Luke AFB.  Those were shit too.  Anything Dodge I ever drove in the service were all shit.  Cemented my hatred for all things Dodge.

http://policecararchives.org/DoD/DoD_images/cnpca0196-vi.jpg

View Quote
A lumina was my first beat car when I went from evenings to nights as a rookie at my current agency.  Had to carry a spare key on me to get back in the car when I locked myself out due to the location of the door lock in relation to the door handle.  Damn near every time I had to get out in a hurry my hand would hit the lock when opening the door.  Car was cramped even for a skinny fit guy like me, had absolutely no ass and was not very durable.  Only good thing about the "battle pony" was that it was so beat up I could I could treat her like a dirty whore without worrying about flack from command.  Hated that car, thanked the guys who totaled her while I was off.  Got a new CV to replace her.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Horrible fuel mileage, no truck space.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As far as regularly used cars go I'd have to say the old Ford Taurus tops my list of shitty police cars.

http://images14.fotki.com/v699/photos/4/49373/4401339/cnpca9498-vi.jpg
View Quote

My brother refers to the Ford Taurus as the "Turd Forest."
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Zastava 101- Yugo with a trunk. You cant beat that
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I give you the 1998 Ford Taurus. Oh, and I got it in 2004.  And the Detective who took my place is still driving it............................

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1998_ford_taurus_4dr_sdn_lx_silver_99316417579529715.jpg
View Quote
We had one looked just about the same year model, Det. Sgt. in charge of the ETs drove it.  

My issue ride when I went to CID in 04 was about a 90 CV, forrest green, dubbed the green lizzard.  I even had an old dash mounted blue light.  As bad as the car was, it was roomy and reliable.  We just got rid of it and it's powder blue brother a couple of years ago.

Looked a lot like this.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I saw an AF SP 1983 Gran Fury t-bone a CNDer driving a Mini Cooper trying to make it to the first C-5 that landed at RAF Greenham-Common.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1980's series Chysler K Car.  We had a shit ton of them when I was in the AF Security Police (I believe the Army MP's got some too).  4 cylinder engines .  We were told that Chrysler had to give the DOD and Government good prices on them in return for the Chrysler bail out with Iacocca.  K cars were seen being used by a lot of Military and Federal agencies.

Serious qeustion
What's a CNDer?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]

I knew several guys working metro that loved them. Said they were like a go cart for working city traffic.

I do know pointing a radar gun at the ac vents would give you 33/55/77mph depending on the fan switch setting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Hey, they needed an appropriate vehicle to bust kids having keggers on the grassy hill in front of the high school.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We had one looked just about the same year model, Det. Sgt. in charge of the ETs drove it.  

My issue ride when I went to CID in 04 was about a 90 CV, forrest green, dubbed the green lizzard.  I even had an old dash mounted blue light.  As bad as the car was, it was roomy and reliable.  We just got rid of it and it's powder blue brother a couple of years ago.  

Looked a lot like this.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/1990_Ford_Crown_Victoria_zpsbs1k3ke7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1998_ford_taurus_4dr_sdn_lx_silver_99316417579529715.jpg

Looked a lot like this.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/1990_Ford_Crown_Victoria_zpsbs1k3ke7.jpg

Nice! Almost Blue Brothers quality.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Serious qeustion
What's a CNDer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious qeustion
What's a CNDer?

Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.

Look up GLCM, Raf Greenham-Common, CND, oh, and Peace Women..........

Fun times.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#31]
My town had a le car in the 70s
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#32]
As much as I hate the  "engine going into limp-mode constantly, life of the front end components measured in days, random parts falling off the car even when not in hard use" piece of shit dodge chargers, I miss how freaking fast they are.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]

LULZ my hometown , first time I ever got pulled over it was a Taurus just like that

pic is in the back lot of the old police station here

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The brake slam / gas hammer / nothing but high revs is a problem.  The first time I did it, I almost wrote it up thinking that something was broken.

We've also had a problem where if you make a fast turnaround wherein you brake, throw it in reverse, and then hammer the gas, the fucking things have a good chance of stalling.  I've read elsewhere that the transmission is being blamed for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you have to slam on the brakes send then hammer the gas. Then...nothing but high RPMs and nothing to show for it.

The parts in bold are very true.  

I've got one of the new Taurus patrol cars.  Very comfortable to drive. Very fast. Handles great. Fantastic in snow.
The interior and instrument lights are a "bedazzling" spectacle of retarded monkey-shinery.    
I've got shit covered with electrical tape, cardboard and black paint, just so I can use the damn thing at night for it's "intended" purpose as a patrol car.

Mines did the stall out thing too. Real helpful in a pursuit
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ford Fairmont. Oh it was awful.
View Quote

That's a FOX platform same as a Mustang.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A 1975 - 1976 350 CID Chevy Nova Kicked serious ass !   Best.Police.Car.Ever.

Loved that car.

Worst you say ?

1982 Plymouth Volare with a "warmed over" 318 CID engine.  That POS couldn't catch a paperboy on a bicycle.  

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag16/dvuswaz/4682922851_b802ed5078_zpsvocbyamx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A 1975 - 1976 350 CID Chevy Nova Kicked serious ass !   Best.Police.Car.Ever.

Loved that car.

Worst you say ?

1982 Plymouth Volare with a "warmed over" 318 CID engine.  That POS couldn't catch a paperboy on a bicycle.  

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag16/dvuswaz/4682922851_b802ed5078_zpsvocbyamx.jpg
This!

We had the Dodge Diplomat.  Other than being slow, ability to start brush fires with the exhaust system, they wandered all over the road.   Death traps!

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

http://www.theinfantshome.org.au/site/assets/files/1256/penguin_with_cars.jpg
Wow your choice of a minivan with steel wheels or some kind of Subaru. Top that! (scooters ridden by meter maids do not count)

View Quote

I dont know about the worst but I remember some interesting cars after Operation Hermes

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not a police car, meter maid car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prius police car
http://www.midwestenergynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/prius-police-car.jpg
Put a cage in it and you can't fit in it.

Not a police car, meter maid car.

When I was in Staten Island a few weeks back I saw a Toyota hybrid NYPD car. It wasn't a meter maid as the two cops that it belonged to had guns badges and everything.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Taurus...

View Quote

ETA beat a page ago.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Worst for who?  The officer or speeder.  I remember this Saleen Mustang.  Rumor had it that it was also geared really low and would top out at only 110, but get there reeealy fast!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I remember reading about the mid to late 70's Pontiacs that a lot of the county sheriffs departments were using and what dogs they were.  Car Craft (or may Hot Rod) magazine said those things would only to about 95 or 96 mph top end.  Too heavy, not enough horsepower and handled like a brick.

On the other hand, we had the big Dodge Coronets with the 440 and the air cleaner that was so big it almost covered the top of the engine.

I remember rolling down I64 with the speedometer setting on 130 mph and that big 440 was just humming along like it was only doing 60.

I remember smacking the pedal down one night to go after a guy and in a very few seconds heard a funny noise I hadn't heard before.  I looked at the speedometer and it was on 62 mph.  I let up on the gas pedal just a bit and it went to 2nd gear and the noise went away.  I caught the guy about a mile down the road.  I headed back to the office, popped the hood and it was quart low on oil.  I'd never heard the valves rattle before but after I put that quart of oil in it and tried it again - no valve rattle.  The darn thing didn't have a tachometer in it so I have no clue what rpm it was at when running 62 mph in 1st gear.  The speedometer went to 180 but I never had it above 130.

Awesome car, for a 4 door.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Worst for who?  The officer or speeder.  I remember this Saleen Mustang.  Rumor had it that it was also geared really low and would top out at only 110, but get there reeealy fast!
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc84/tonylop33/Mustang/Saleen_Cop_Car.jpg
View Quote

I say a state trooper in a V8 Mustang a few days ago.  All blacked out unmarked.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top