User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
my big launcher has an archery pin sight on it
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I might have been wrong on that, the tracking said they would be here today. It hasn't been updated to anything other than "label created".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Quoted:
How long did your order take to ship?
I might have been wrong on that, the tracking said they would be here today. It hasn't been updated to anything other than "label created".
ETA: don't know how I scewed up this post so bad, @thenning was asking how long it took my order to ship.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know what a pin sight actually looked like, and that sent me down a google images hole.

For the first time in my life I was disappointed to learn some gun part was NOT airsoft.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I didn't know what a pin sight actually looked like, and that sent me down a google images hole.

For the first time in my life I was disappointed to learn some gun part was NOT airsoft.

http://milkorusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/product_sight_01.jpg

https://prohuntersupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Meprolight-Ltd-Mepro-Gls-Reflex-Sight-With-Side-Adapter-For-40Mm-Gls-Black-0-0.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, that looks expensive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://milkorusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/product_sight_01.jpg

https://prohuntersupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Meprolight-Ltd-Mepro-Gls-Reflex-Sight-With-Side-Adapter-For-40Mm-Gls-Black-0-0.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, either of those would be sweet.  I’ve also searched repeatedly for an airsoft version of the Spuhr sight too, but still no joy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ETA: don't know how I scewed up this post so bad, @thenning was asking how long it took my order to ship.
View Quote
No worries, and thanks!  Mine shipped today, they were waiting for more stripped uppers.  This thread is driving a few sales I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
So assuming you don't mind having your face closer to the launcher, can you simulate bigger than an M-79?
Considering the anti-drone applications shown in the earlier video, I checked the Stinger but it's a bit narrow.  The Brit Blowpipe would be easy other than the trigger, but nobody in the US knows it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Pin sight

Breech open
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So assuming you don't mind having your face closer to the launcher, can you simulate bigger than an M-79?
Considering the anti-drone applications shown in the earlier video, I checked the Stinger but it's a bit narrow.  The Brit Blowpipe would be easy other than the trigger, but nobody in the US knows it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13081/Comp_RPG-627839.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13081/Comp_Carl_G-627840.JPG
View Quote
I have pondered this a few times.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#11]
So I see the air fittings, what is the ammunition?  Paintballs in a styrafoam cup canister?  Used to be a "Tank" on one of big paintball fields with that system.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread is going to cost me money.

I'm craving a 12 gauge with a perm "flash hider" big enough for soda cans.

13 inches of 12 gauge barrel, plus 5 inches of launcher. Is Mossberg reading this?

You could shoot 12 gauge out of it still (cylinder bore), then when ready to launch stuff switch to blanks.

Depending on what you are launching, you could just cut the top off the shell off and dump out the shot, let the wad hit the thing you are launching.

if 12 gauge is too much power, use those chamber adapters for various blanks.

It could also be used for line launching or flares for signaling (boats).

More importantly, when your drunk friends drive by on the jet ski you can "beer" them.

Nickle boron coated for rust, would make one heck of a tool for boating/survival use and fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

13 inches of 12 gauge barrel, plus 5 inches of launcher. Is Mossberg reading this?

You could shoot 12 gauge out of it still (cylinder bore), then when ready to launch stuff switch to blanks.

Depending on what you are launching, you could just cut the top off the shell off and dump out the shot, let the wad hit the thing you are launching.

More importantly, when your drunk friends drive by on the jet ski you can "beer" them.

Nickle boron coated for rust, would make one heck of a tool for boating/survival use and fun.
View Quote
So what's to stop someone from doing this in their garage now?

The way I'd like it would be a breach loading single shot 12g with a can all the way to said breach. The barrel of the shotgun could be permanently made into a stem similar to the can cannon.

Then you could cut the shot and wad out of the shells for cheap ass blanks and cut a more accurate version of the M79 stock.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The way I'd like it would be a breach loading single shot 12g with a can all the way to said breach. The barrel of the shotgun could be permanently made into a stem similar to the can cannon.

Then you could cut the shot and wad out of the shells for cheap ass blanks and cut a more accurate version of the M79 stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One problem with using the cutdown shot shells for blanks- you’d still need a high pressure (restricted orifice) to get the smokeless to burn properly.  Either that, or you’d need to keep the wad (which would be a problem with the cans) or the smokeless powder would burn very poorly.  Otherwise I think it’s a good idea.

A break action M79 clone with a 66mm bore, and an interchangeable high pressure chamber in the rear of the launch tube.

Make the high pressure chamber an oversized sleeve, and you could place inserts in it to allow use of 12ga blanks, 7.62 blanks, 5.56 blanks, etc.

The blank inserts would have a ported front end (ala current can launcher), or you could swap them out for an open front end to fire flares etc.  The outer launch tube could be 18” and permanently attached to the insert sleeve.  Thus always legal length for a normal shotgun.

To use 12ga blanks in a high pressure chamber you’d need some kind of crimping, or maybe seal with some nitrated paper.  You’d just need to figure out initial containment for pressure without expelling a wad and busting the can/clogging the ports.

Unrelated aside:  I’m very happy with the upside down buttstock/buttplate idea you came up with.  With the recoil pad I added it’s pretty mild to shoot it now.  I was shooting it on duty at the range today after quals were done.  The guys lined up to shoot soda skeet.  It was great fun, and after a whole bunch of 12oz cans— I’m not really bruised, or hardly even sore.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One problem with using the cutdown shot shells for blanks- you’d still need a high pressure (restricted orifice) to get the smokeless to burn properly.  Either that, or you’d need to keep the wad (which would be a problem with the cans) or the smokeless powder would burn very poorly.  Otherwise I think it’s a good idea.

A break action M79 clone with a 66mm bore, and an interchangeable high pressure chamber in the rear of the launch tube.

Make the high pressure chamber an oversized sleeve, and you could place inserts in it to allow use of 12ga blanks, 7.62 blanks, 5.56 blanks, etc.

The blank inserts would have a ported front end (ala current can launcher), or you could swap them out for an open front end to fire flares etc.  The outer launch tube could be 18” and permanently attached to the insert sleeve.  Thus always legal length for a normal shotgun.

To use 12ga blanks in a high pressure chamber you’d need some kind of crimping, or maybe seal with some nitrated paper.  You’d just need to figure out initial containment for pressure without expelling a wad and busting the can/clogging the ports.

Unrelated aside:  I’m very happy with the upside down buttstock/buttplate idea you came up with.  With the recoil pad I added it’s pretty mild to shoot it now.  I was shooting it on duty at the range today after quals were done.  The guys lined up to shoot soda skeet.  It was great fun, and after a whole bunch of 12oz cans— I’m not really bruised, or hardly even sore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't I hear of a 37mm launcher that used 22 blanks effectively? I wonder if using those could make an M79 can launcher clone realistic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome about the stock. It's crazy how many people just don't get why someone would set it up like that.

About the 12g. My feelings are that you could dramatically reduce the amount of compression area compared to the AR-15 version.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Didn't I hear of a 37mm launcher that used 22 blanks effectively? I wonder if using those could make an M79 can launcher clone realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially if it's the mini can diameter! Off to grab calipers and check diameter.

Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a starting point for your break action. Have to use 20 gauge blanks with it though. Hog out the stub from the 243 barrel for 308 blanks. And 22 blanks for those light load days. The H&R break action is another option with a few more caliber choices if custom ordered.

http://www.rossiusa.com/whatsnew-trifecta.cfm
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Great stuff
Amazon Product
  • GREAT STUFF gaps and cracks can be used in interior or exterior application and is tack free in 15 minutes; trims in 30-60 minutes
  • Forms a permanent weather-tight seal to minimize drafts and insect infestation and has exceptional adhesion to building materials
  • Cures as a cream-colored rigid foam; ease of application results from all-direction dispensing

would fill cans and not be too heavy I bet....
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Hnnnnnnnnggggggg!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy crap!!

We need way more photos than that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
what makes you think they haven't?

A friend of mine from ~20 year ago had one like that, welded up out of pipe. It looked terrible but worked.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Please please please make a custom M79 profile stock for that?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
An empty 12 gauge wad still provides a good enough seal to obtain an "ok" burn. Wasteful? Yes, but quick and easy to make. Anyways, blanks are easy to make with a little black powder. We used to launch stuff with homemade 7.62x39 blanks and yugo rifles, just pull the bullet, swap for some ff blackpowder and stuff a little paper in there to seal it up. Crude but effective.

ETA Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#26]
The Hornady blank dies are back in stock on Amazon from a seller with non-retarded shipping.

I ordered a set for $95

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-544591-Specialty-Cartridge-Caliber/dp/B003BAELEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533536255&sr=8-1&keywords=544591

ETA:  What the hell?  Now when I check my own link it goes back to the bullshit $27 dollar shipping listing?

ETA#2:  Maybe there was only 1 available from the other seller.  I musta got the only/last one?  I dunno.  Worth checking once in while.

ETA#3:  Apparently Optics Planet didn’t have the dies when it let me order them either.

Attachment Attached File

Guess I’ll wait a while and see if they actually eventually deliver (since it’s cheapest I can find).  Kinda doubtful though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#27]
So... I see you are in washington...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yup.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#29]
That thing is beautiful. Who's gonna start making inverted wood stocks for it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Holy crap!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Holy crap!!

Yep, what am I looking at?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine arrived today. A few questions:

-Did anyone else have their launcher tube 'loose' (as in not threaded all the way down)? What, if anything, did you do about that? The stub barrel appears fine. Loctite?

-I missed just how stripped this is, probably because the first picture on the F5 page is a non-forward assist lower. I assume there's no issue firing one of these without the FA installed? I can't imagine why there would be, but...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
@SkilletsUSMC
What spring did you use for the bolt catch mod?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

-Did anyone else have their launcher tube 'loose' (as in not threaded all the way down)? What, if anything, did you do about that? The stub barrel appears fine. Loctite?

-I missed just how stripped this is, probably because the first picture on the F5 page is a non-forward assist lower. I assume there's no issue firing one of these without the FA installed? I can't imagine why there would be, but...
View Quote
Ordered 5 for 4.  None were more than hand tight.  I haven't bothered to strap wrench mine, two handed while mounted on the lower is tight enough.   I have not installed a FA or port door.  Nor do I have any plans to.  Just not required nor necessary.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Holy crap!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Holy crap!!

Yep, that be looking good Gopherboy128.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@SkilletsUSMC
What spring did you use for the bolt catch mod?
View Quote
I used the bolt catch spring.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ordered 5 for 4.  None were more than hand tight.  I haven't bothered to strap wrench mine, two handed while mounted on the lower is tight enough.   I have not installed a FA or port door.  Nor do I have any plans to.  Just not required nor necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Perfect, thanks.
View Quote
Yep, hand tight— that way you can spin off the launch tube and clean it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine was loose, I haven't shot it yet.  Only thing that sucks is I got the one with the picatinny rail, so now it's off a little.  But I'm already over it
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Mine required an oil filter strap wrench to get off.
I reinstalled it tight, too.

I figure it would never really need CLEANED
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mine required an oil filter strap wrench to get off.
I reinstalled it tight, too.

I figure it would never really need CLEANED
View Quote
I've never cleaned mine, but I've broken it down to a really small size to stow in a bag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Mwuuhahahahhaaaa!!!

4 new power levels of blanks to try out.

Golfball 1
Golfball 2
L.A.M.
M195

Attachment Attached File

It’s raining like a mo’fo right now and I’m short on sody pop.  Gonna have to make a pop acquisition run.  I plan on proceeding very carefully with these.  I’ll take notes and work my way up slowly and safely.  The RASS rest is a pain to haul around, so I might rig up a wooden firing fixture to hold the launcher for lanyard firing.

Atlantic was also cool enough to even toss in a blank adapter for the L.A.M. blanks.  Now I’ll have to try that out too and maybe terrorize the back yard.lol

I hadn’t really thought about it (because we use simunitions at work) but I might be able to use it for some active shooter scenarios during training...?  Maybe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The idiot that made those comments is no longer with the company.
View Quote
People say this, but I've seen no evidence of it . . . and if I were the "new management" of the company,   1) I'd make it a precondition to taking over that I'd be able to broadcast his removal without restriction, and 2) then I'd tell everyone he was gone.  Has there been ANY evidence that he was removed AND bought out?  Because BOTH would be required before anyone should even think about doing business with them.  If they just took away his office, but he still has an ownership interest in the company, he's still getting money from sales.

We need to think all the way through these things.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine just shipped!!!! WOOOOT!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I took mine with me to the range today, stopping at Wal-Mart to pick up a 12-pack of GV Cola and a bag of 18 tennis balls.

The 12 oz soda cans definitely go further than the tennis balls. The cans tumbled during flight and the effects on the cans of impact were different for each one. One can ripped open lengthwise, spraying soda everywhere. Another had the tab end ripped completely off. A third can had just the bottom blown out, with a very clean cut all the way around.

Someone had left a couple empty cardboard boxes with IPSC targets attached to them in the trash, so I set them out at about 50 yards to use as an aiming point, in order to see if I could actually hit a man-sized target. I first launched a couple tennis balls, using the top edge of the can cannon's front as a front sight, set at about shoulder height of the target. The first tennis ball landed several feet in front of the target, but bounced forward and hit it. The second tennis ball got caught by a gust of wind and blew way off course. The third tennis ball, aiming the edge of the cannon just above the target's head, ended up hitting right in front of the target, again bouncing and hitting it. I then switched to soda cans. The first one, aimed by setting the edge of the cannon below the shoulders, hit right in the target's guts and sent the box tumbling. The second can, aimed right above the target's head, hit squarely in the chest and knocked the box over, with the can landing inside the box.

If someone were to find themselves facing down an angry mob of say, Antifa types, a Can Cannon loaded with a 12 oz soda can could definitely be used to convince idiots holding plastic drum shields to change plans. I can say for certain that I would not want to be hit with a soda can launched from one. I could foresee broken ribs, at a minimum, as a result-with a headshot resulting in coloring books and crayons for all future Christmases, if it wasn't fatal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@asusax

Yes there is https://radarmory.com/shop/22-blank-base-for-x37-launchers/

Also for anyone not in the know, if you just want to shoot stuff far, you can actually buy a .22 blank firing device that launches dummy sacks on Amazon for under $100.  The dummy goes 100-200 yards depending on the .22 blank you buy.  Its also not considered a firearm.

Amazon Product
  • Durable, dual ported stainless steel barrel increases distance and reduces recoil; convenient built-in shell extractor
  • Rugged solid aluminum frame construction prevents rusting and breakage-no lost training time!
  • Wide nylon comfort grip handle sleeve; thick, dense, shock absorbing recoil pad; full grip aluminum locking lever for safety

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Not reading the thread, has anyone tried shooting lacrosse balls out of these?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not reading the thread, has anyone tried shooting lacrosse balls out of these?
View Quote
I have one inbound for testing.

I want to make a line launcher.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Grappling Hook Cannon! Shoots Cans, Too
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@asusax

Also for anyone not in the know, if you just want to shoot stuff far, you can actually buy a .22 blank firing device that launches dummy sacks on Amazon for under $100.  The dummy goes 100-200 yards depending on the .22 blank you buy.  Its also not considered a firearm.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0025KMTESwww.amazon.com/dp/B00D9ICNZK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@asusax

www.amazon.com/dp/B0025KMTESwww.amazon.com/dp/B00D9ICNZK
Being able to reliably and (relatively) accurately launch heavy things long distance is the appeal for me.

The soda fizz at the end sort of scratches my old M203 itch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#50]
@SkilletsUSMC

When you did the bolt catch mod, did you use the plunger or just the spring?
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top