Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone might be a little upset when the Bolt carrier arrives without a bolt....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never mind what the hyperlink says, here's the F5Mfg blanks for sale.

100 M200 blanks for $40.

For folks wanting a BCG, F5Mfg sells one for $50.90.

I now have a can launcher and 100 blanks en route.
Someone might be a little upset when the Bolt carrier arrives without a bolt....
Thanks, I was obviously not paying attention. Thankfully, I didn't order one with my launcher and blanks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
PA still has the BCA BCG for $49.99 - shipping was $4.0x for me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Do we know 100% the “barrel” etc can be installed on that side charger upper?

I’m about to pull the trigger on that Bear Creek side charger upper and BCG just want to verify that it will be easy to move the components.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do we know 100% the “barrel” etc can be installed on that side charger upper?

I’m about to pull the trigger on that Bear Creek side charger upper and BCG just want to verify that it will be easy to move the components.

Thanks
View Quote
Yes. It’s a standard upper. I took mine apart earlier just playing around
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do we know 100% the "barrel" etc can be installed on that side charger upper?

I'm about to pull the trigger on that Bear Creek side charger upper and BCG just want to verify that it will be easy to move the components.

Thanks
View Quote
My tube was hand tight, spun right off. The barrel, is like any other AR barrel. Only exception, the extension index pin is a roll pin, still, it all slipped right into the billet slick side upper my can cannon front end now resides on....

I can't see a reason the front end won't work on a side charger....
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The barrel is also an m4 cut barrel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The barrel is also an m4 cut barrel.
View Quote
Yep. Mine had really sharp edges. I think this, and a slightly ruff chamber caused me some chambering issues the first time out. I lightly polished both with 500 grit lapping compound on a snug fitting bore mop followed up with 1000 grit. Ran about 50 blanks this morning, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 1:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My tube was hand tight, spun right off. The barrel, is like any other AR barrel. Only exception, the extension index pin is a roll pin, still, it all slipped right into the billet slick side upper my can cannon front end now resides on....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do we know 100% the "barrel" etc can be installed on that side charger upper?

I'm about to pull the trigger on that Bear Creek side charger upper and BCG just want to verify that it will be easy to move the components.

Thanks

If the charging handle gets too close to the tube it will be hard to grasp. Otherwise no problems.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If the charging handle gets too close to the tube it will be hard to grasp. Otherwise no problems.
View Quote
Good point. One like this might be an issue with the fat tube...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good point. One like this might be an issue with the fat tube...https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/39247/NRSC-Stripped-Top-1-600937.JPG
View Quote
Wow that would be an issue.

Looks like the Bear Creek one On sale at Primary Arms has more space.

At least I hope so because I drunk ordered the upper and BCG last night. Lol
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow that would be an issue.

Looks like the Bear Creek one On sale at Primary Arms has more space.

At least I hope so because I drunk ordered the upper and BCG last night. Lol
View Quote
No experience with them but based on pictures linked below, charging won't be an issue.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-receivers/bca-side-charging-receiver-bcg-combo
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I ran out of patience and fo’ed.  I ordered the 5 for 4 deal, and also 5 bcgs and charging handles from PA.

I emailed the F5 guy and he said to just order on the website and add that I wanted long barrels in the comments section of the order.  Sooo, I did.  I’ll update with what shows up.

Meanwhile I’ll drink a lot of Coor’s now. (I bet the 16oz Coor’s cans will be kinda stout on the recoil.)

I ordered 400 blanks off of gunbroker to get me and the guys started, and I’ll order a blank crimping die set soon-ish.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I found another website selling higher powered blanks.

They are marked specifically not for the can cannon.

I'm ordering some anyway. They caution that the split the cans open. I'll use them for tennis balls.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I found another website selling higher powered blanks.

They are marked specifically not for the can cannon.

I'm ordering some anyway. They caution that the split the cans open. I'll use them for tennis balls.
View Quote
Atlantic?

I’m thinking about some.  The cans I’m saving are thicker than regular coke cans.  I’d bet they’ll hold up to a stronger blank, but I’m not sure my shoulder would be happy about it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The roll pin kind of worries me. I wonder what kind of torque I can use to install the barrel on the upper more permanently or if it's easy to to pull the roll pin and drive in a regular pin. I was going to use a strap wrench to drop the barrel assembly into my new upper.

So I've got the can launcher ordered, the BCA side-charging upper ordered from PA along with the cheapest buffer, spring, & LPK they've got and I've already got an ACE ARFX-E small stock in the parts bin. This is going to turn out glorious. I'll have to use another gun's complete lower until i finish the dedicated lower for the launcher... but...

I'm working on getting one of these 80% receivers as the dedicated lower for the beer can launcher:
(If the lower turns out out good enough I might drop a Larue MBT in it and get it an SBR stamp, too. LOL)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, I'm working on getting one of these 80% receivers as a dedicated lower for the beer can launcher:
(If the lower turns out out good enough I might drop a Larue MBT in it and get it an SBR stamp, too. LOL)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132797/InebreatAR-15_Lower__smaller_-601981.JPG
View Quote

That would be awesome!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That would be awesome!
View Quote
Oh... it's happening.
I already have the Hi-Res SVG files for the engraver, a bridgeport mill (with 3 completed lowers under my belt), and now I'm just trying to find a good price on anodized 80% forged lowers.

If I do end up SBRing it, I was going to have Orion do the hidden name/location engraving inside the trigger guard. I wonder if ATF will accept "12oz" as the caliber
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh... it's happening.
I already have the Hi-Res SVG files for the engraver, a bridgeport mill (with 3 completed lowers under my belt), and now I'm just trying to find a good price on anodized 80% forged lowers.

If I do end up SBRing it, I was going to have Orion do the hidden name/location engraving inside the trigger guard. I wonder if ATF will accept "12oz" as the caliber
View Quote
NFA is my go-to LGS so it's easier for me with no shipping involved...
Anyway, they have anodized a few lowers for me, turned out great!

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/anodizing-service/
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#19]
They anodized an 80% upper I SBR'ed. Good work.

I was thinking of going with a pre-anodized 80% lower because it's usually only $5-10 more than a raw 80% lower and I don't have to engrave my name/location on it until/unless I SBR it. Most anodizing places make you have full info engraved on a firearm before you can mail it to them. Plus, I want the laser engraving to stand out white and if I anodize after it's made/engrave then it will be all dark.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Deep Thought for Today:

Is a 0% receiver with only the FCG and bolt catch milled out a firearm?  (I.e. something that looks like an AR-15 lower receiver with the magwell not milled out.)

If a can-cannon is not a firearm, would combining it with a non-firearm trigger mechanism like the above still not be a firearm?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Deep Thought for Today:

Is a 0% receiver with only the FCG and bolt catch milled out a firearm?  (I.e. something that looks like an AR-15 lower receiver with the magwell not milled out.)

If a can-cannon is not a firearm, would combining it with a non-firearm trigger mechanism like the above still not be a firearm?
View Quote
I think once the fire control pocket is milled it’s a firearm. I remember reading something about it when the polymer lower guys got in trouble for having the different colored plastic in that area.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#22]
If it’ll fire a blank attached to a can launcher, it’d be real hard for it not to fire a live round in a regular AR upper...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone have issues cycling? I have to mortar to get the damn thing to cycle about half the time and most of the time blanks won't fully chamber (using the M200s from F5) without some persuasion
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone have issues cycling? I have to mortar to get the damn thing to cycle about half the time and most of the time blanks won't fully chamber (using the M200s from F5) without some persuasion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@Raider14 if you'd look up a few postings you'd find @schultz reported:
Quoted:
Yep. Mine had really sharp edges. I think this, and a slightly ruff chamber caused me some chambering issues the first time out. I lightly polished both with 500 grit lapping compound on a snug fitting bore mop followed up with 1000 grit. Ran about 50 blanks this morning, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, I had the same issues first time out. As stated, polishing the sharp edges of the M4 feed ramps and the chamber with 500 grit then 1000 grit valve lapping compound seems to have completely solved my problem for both the bolt not fully closing as the blank is chambered, and, the need to Mortar....

when you mortar out the blank, do you see scrap marks on the body of the case and shoulder? I did. I think these were caused by the sharp feed ramp edges that I removed. I still, lightly polished my chamber for good measure, didn't look really ruff but did have some reamer marks that were visible...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Can you link the items used to polish your chamber? Just some lapping compound and one of those cotton swab looking attachments on a dremmel? Or maybe just smear the lapping compound on a fired case and use the fires case to lap the chamber with a drill or something?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Ordered last Monday.  Delivered today.  No complaints- it's easily minute of tree.

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ordered last Monday.  Delivered today.  No complaints- it's easily minute of tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxoImGzoU0
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can you link the items used to polish your chamber? Just some lapping compound and one of those cotton swab looking attachments on a dremmel? Or maybe just smear the lapping compound on a fired case and use the fires case to lap the chamber with a drill or something?
View Quote
Sure, I ordered small quantities of the compounds from this eBay seller. Buying large quantities, is EXPENSIVE.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-AND-AUTO-VALVE-LAPPING-COMPOUND-500-GRIT/120963474123?hash=item1c29fc22cb:g:WgoAAOxyu0BRfgZD

I picked 500 and 1000 to do crowns on air rifle barrels...I then final polish with flitz. Anyway, seemed it would work well for polishing the feed ramp and chamber. It did, Just don't get to aggressive with the 500...
You can order many different grits from the same seller.

I used a dremel, and dremel felt bob for the feed ramps. I'm not positive what size bore mop I used in the chamber, it was already a used mop, probably, 45cal... it fit snug into the chamber, not tight. Polished the feed ramps until the sharp edges were smooth. For the chamber, I spun the mop on a short section of cleaning rod with a cordless drill. 20-30 seconds on a medium speed with the 500 grit. Then final polished with the 1000.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Would a long gas key that extends into the expansion chamber cycle the bolt?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
you may be on to something.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you SURE you would want this? I don't want to be sticking a can, or my hand fingers for that matter in the tube with a live blank in the chamber....

I've worked really hard for nearly 50 years now to keep all the appendages I was born with in as issued condition

Edit:
Meant fingers, not hand...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are you SURE you would want this? I don't want to be sticking a can, or my hand for that matter in the tube with a live blank in the chamber....

I've worked really hard for nearly 50 years now to keep all the appendages I was born with in as issued condition
View Quote
mess around and someone will figure out a top feed mag system for the cans
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
That would be neat, it would also likely be out of the price range that most would be willing to pay.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Already dreaming this up for the golf ball variant. It may end up being a pump action as well.

God dammit. I need a mill and a lathe. Can't keep using the machine shop down the street.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Not a chance I would think.
Maybe if you tapped into the barrel JUST after the chamber and used a low mass carrier and spring?

There’s a YouTube barrel of a guy with a 2-3” SBR barrel or something. Barrel is so short that the tip of the chambered bullet sticks out of the muzzle... and that gun is cycling
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would be neat, it would also likely be out of the price range that most would be willing to pay.
View Quote
true. But we have been know to do stupid things for fabrication reasons. just to show it could be done. There was a guy with a bolt action potato cannon a while back that had some great ideas.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A tad looser than a beer or soda can.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
x products owner is anti 2a

fuck them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
x products owner is anti 2a

fuck them.
This thread has not been about x-products since the middle or so of page one.....
But yeah, fuck x-products. Buy from F5 manufacturing
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Holy Hell This Thing is FUN!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#42]
So what is the OAL of the short tube vs long tube???  How much of a difference are we talking?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#43]
So I got my F5 can and found a local source for M200 blanks...then proceeded to shoot it ~90 times with my friends over the weekend.

If you put one of those cheap 6oz walmart pops under a tennis ball, they tennis ball flys way further...So to tennis balls that are wet.

Coors/Miller cans kick ass, since you can fill them as far or not as you want with water for launching.

Launching nearly vertically seems to be more impressive than at a 45 degree angle.  I dunno if the can is retained in the tube a little longer and gets more usable gas pressure or what?

I tried reloading some blanks on the spot with a Lee Loader, and power pistol.  3gr of power pistol is less than a LC M200, 6gr is about the same, and 9gr is more (kicks like hell with a 12oz can).

My shoulder is all black and blue, but it was VERY worth it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So I got my F5 can and found a local source for M200 blanks...then proceeded to shoot it ~90 times with my friends over the weekend.

If you put one of those cheap 6oz walmart pops under a tennis ball, they tennis ball flys way further...So to tennis balls that are wet.

Coors/Miller cans kick ass, since you can fill them as far or not as you want with water for launching.

Launching nearly vertically seems to be more impressive than at a 45 degree angle.  I dunno if the can is retained in the tube a little longer and gets more usable gas pressure or what?

I tried reloading some blanks on the spot with a Lee Loader, and power pistol.  3gr of power pistol is less than a LC M200, 6gr is about the same, and 9gr is more (kicks like hell with a 12oz can).

My shoulder is all black and blue, but it was VERY worth it.
View Quote
Did it go further with 9 grs?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#45]
So, has anyone actually launched an M-18 smoke grenade out of theirs? If so, how well did it work / how far did it travel?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Did it go further with 9 grs?
View Quote
Yes, it did, but it kicked like a bastard.  I might try 9 grains with a 6oz sometime, but with a 12oz, it was pretty brutal.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#47]
So, has anyone actually launched an M-18 smoke grenade out of theirs? If so, how well did it work / how far did it travel?
View Quote
M18s go about 2/3 the distance that standard 12oz soda cans go.  M8s weigh even more, and seem to only go about half as far.

That's one of the reasons I've not put sights on mine- everything I shoot has a significantly different trajectory.  I usually just use a tall tree trunk as the aiming point, so as long as my windage is good I'll hit somewhere on it and get the desired effect.  I did once hit a tree trunk right over a cadet squad patrol base with a Sam's Club grape soda can, showering them with sticky purple nastiness. It was awesome.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Can anyone with either the F5 or the X-Products launcher measure the inside diameter of the tube for me?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone been running one of these with a polymer lower?

On the one hand I was thinking this might be a great place to use up a poly lower I might foolishly have purchased.  On the other hand with all the recoil reports, maybe that's just a quicker way to failure…
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So what is the OAL of the short tube vs long tube???  How much of a difference are we talking?
View Quote
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top