Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone been running one of these with a polymer lower?

On the one hand I was thinking this might be a great place to use up a poly lower I might foolishly have purchased.  On the other hand with all the recoil reports, maybe that's just a quicker way to failure…
View Quote
Mine will be here this week and that's the plan. Let you know how long it survives.  Lol
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can anyone with either the F5 or the X-Products launcher measure the inside diameter of the tube for me?
View Quote
@jreinke
~2.62" give or take a few thousandths for cerakote thickness
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can anyone with either the F5 or the X-Products launcher measure the inside diameter of the tube for me?
View Quote
got a standard 12oz can handy?  just a hair over that
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
~2.62" give or take a few thousandths for cerakote thickness
View Quote
There you go, and that certainly points out some handy other dimensions:

Standard 12oz soda/beer can, about 2.6"
Standard tennis ball, between 2.575" and 2.7" (but squishable, obviously)
M18 and M8 smokes, 2.5" without the spoon
Lacrosse ball, 2.5"
Nerf makes all sorts of 2.5" stuff
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I want one or 5 of these now.

Do the blanks put out enough burn to light a fuse like the lifting charge in a 37mm round?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Standard 12oz soda/beer can, about 2.6"
Standard tennis ball, between 2.575" and 2.7" (but squishable, obviously)
M18 and M8 smokes, 2.5" without the spoon
Lacrosse ball, 2.5"
Nerf makes all sorts of 2.5" stuff
View Quote
I should add that the M116 grenade simulator is only 1.6" wide, so it needs a wad of some kind behind it.  Same for the M115 whistling artillery simulator...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Got mine yesterday...blanks not here yet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't need blanks to post pics!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

But now Johnny made me want to rattle-can it.

Will the spray paint can fit in it?  Hmmmm...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uf2fan38b2troo/canlauncher.jpg?raw=1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
yes
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
that particular Can Cannon is expensive.  LWRCi ultra compact stock kit, G SSA-E, BCM mod 4, some gucci bolt that's Ni-Boron coated
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#15]
If for some reason something got lodged in the barrel, would the barrel KB?
Could be bad for your front hand regardless of where you hold it...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

M18s go about 2/3 the distance that standard 12oz soda cans go.  M8s weigh even more, and seem to only go about half as far.

That's one of the reasons I've not put sights on mine- everything I shoot has a significantly different trajectory.  I usually just use a tall tree trunk as the aiming point, so as long as my windage is good I'll hit somewhere on it and get the desired effect.  I did once hit a tree trunk right over a cadet squad patrol base with a Sam's Club grape soda can, showering them with sticky purple nastiness. It was awesome.  
View Quote
Are you using a wad of some sort when launching the M18's? There just seems like there would be way too much space to allow blow-by from the launch charge and it would barely travel out the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you using a wad of some sort when launching the M18's?
View Quote
I use the cheap Walmart tennis balls as the wad for almost everything non, uh, standard.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
You got that from F5?  The upper on mine has the location for the forward assist, but no forward assist installed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I use the cheap Walmart tennis balls as the wad for almost everything non, uh, standard.
View Quote
Good to know that tennis balls can be used as wads. Previously in this thread, someone mentioned that because the tennis balls will compress, having it behind something heavy may cause it to really stick in the barrel. I was afraid to try it but since you've done it and are here posting, I'm not worried.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You got that from F5?  The upper on mine has the location for the forward assist, but no forward assist installed.
View Quote
Same here. I'm considering putting one in but don't know it it's really necessary.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Good to know that tennis balls can be used as wads. Previously in this thread, someone mentioned that because the tennis balls will compress, having it behind something heavy may cause it to really stick in the barrel. I was afraid to try it but since you've done it and are here posting, I'm not worried.
View Quote
I don't think the crappy Walmart ones have the wall strength to lodge themselves...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Same here. I'm considering putting one in but don't know it it's really necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plug it:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/forward-assist-parts/ar-15-m16-forward-assist-plug-prod79433.aspx

or

https://motorcity-tactical-works.myshopify.com/products/ar-forward-assist-plug-red?variant=10964420545

Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did.  all 6 of the ones that were in my hands were just like this one
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Was someone trying to arrange a group buy?  I know there will be a killer deal after I order. Lol
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Was someone trying to arrange a group buy?  I know there will be a killer deal after I order. Lol
View Quote
The GA HTF just finished our group buy.

GA HTF is the best HTF!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I should add that the M116 grenade simulator is only 1.6" wide, so it needs a wad of some kind behind it.  Same for the M115 whistling artillery simulator...
View Quote
You are a maniac after my own heart.

I once won a neighborhood 4th of July fireworks competition by tossing a single arty simulator into the cul de sac. I got a bit nervous when it bounced and landed under a car. Thankfully, it didn't do anything to it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is the OAL of the short tube vs long tube???  How much of a difference are we talking?
Anyone?

Quote fail. Looking for barrel lengths shorty vs regular

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On the one hand I was thinking this might be a great place to use up a poly lower I might foolishly have purchased.  On the other hand with all the recoil reports, maybe that's just a quicker way to failure…
View Quote
I put mine on a New Frontier Armory poly lower and snagged the charging handle and BCG from a cheap PSA upper I got.  The polymer lower seems to work fine and if it fails I'm not too concerned.  Put around 25 different items downrange with it.  Damn it's fun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I put mine on a New Frontier Armory poly lower and snagged the charging handle and BCG from a cheap PSA upper I got.  The polymer lower seems to work fine and if it fails I'm not too concerned.  Put around 25 different items downrange with it.  Damn it's fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, kinda tempted by this...
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I ordered from F5 on June 29th, they created a Fedex shipping number July 2nd, but it hasn't been handed off to Fedex and I haven't heard anything else. Is this roughly what other people experienced or am I outside the norms here?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ordered from F5 on June 29th, they created a Fedex shipping number July 2nd, but it hasn't been handed off to Fedex and I haven't heard anything else. Is this roughly what other people experienced or am I outside the norms here?
View Quote
This thread probably cleaned them out
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, most definitely. I looked at their site a few days after this thread was created and they showed 23 in stock. I finally pulled the trigger a couple days later and it showed only 4 in stock. I'm hoping their inventory was live on their site. If not, I'm probably on the back order list.

My charging handle and BCA BCG arrived from PA today, as did the PSA MOE lower build kit I'm planning to use to finish out the lower for this build. Now, I'm just waiting on my can cannon and blanks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#33]
What length is optimal dammit!!

I want to pull the trigger but shorty or long?

I know it’s a 2” difference but since I don’t know either length that’s not so helpful
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What length is optimal dammit!!

I want to pull the trigger but shorty or long?

I know it’s a 2” difference but since I don’t know either length that’s not so helpful
View Quote
Hehe.  I couldn’t stand it either, so I just ordered all long barrels.  I’ll likely want an even longer barrel later.

Also— a longer barrel leaves room for more in bore payload without it sticking out.

I’ll measure mine when they get here if someone else doesn’t first.  I got my bcg’s and charging handles yesterday.  No idea when the launchers will come.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#35]
The barrel length has no effect on range at all. The pressure would be so low, barrel length would be irrelevant. I only ordered the longer barrel for longer payload capacity; more tennis balls, more mini cans, 16oz Tall Boys won’t stick out, etc.

I have a feeling the Coors and Miller screw-top pint cans are going to be awesome for sending, uhh... non-standard payloads downrange.

Given the lid-end is swaged down and conical, it should be able to take more pressure without rupturing. Meaning fewer breakages and/or the ability to use hotter blanks (actually getting you more range). I don’t know... it all depends on whether failures are due to the sidewall rupturing or the pressure is crushing the rear end.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The barrel length has no effect on range at all. The pressure would be so low, barrel length would be irrelevant. I only ordered the longer barrel for longer payload capacity; more tennis balls, more mini cans, 16oz Tall Boys won’t stick out, etc.

I have a feeling the Coors and Miller screw-top pint cans are going to be awesome for sending, uhh... non-standard payloads downrange.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132797/17220928-FB52-43ED-87BE-5800FA530840-605184.JPG
View Quote
Exactly.  I sent the wife out for another 15 pack this morning.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exactly.  I sent the wife out for another 15 pack this morning.
View Quote
Hopefully she brings back some 2-cycle gas, styrofoam  and cannon fuse too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Check this out!

Blanks for Can Launhers
M200 spec blanks
Gilf ball launching blanks (Stronger)
Even Stronger golf ball blanks
Full power M195 “grenade” launching blanks

http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/Golf-Ball-Can-launching-Inert-Grenade-Launching_c_15.html

If you were launching solid objects (balls, ice/cement/chalk filled cans, etc...) I wonder how powerful of a blank the F5 upper can fire without the barrel exploding.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
No blanks til tuesday...
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Check this out!

Blanks for Can Launhers
M200 spec blanks
Gilf ball launching blanks (Stronger)
Even Stronger golf ball blanks
Full power M195 “grenade” launching blanks

http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/Golf-Ball-Can-launching-Inert-Grenade-Launching_c_15.html
View Quote
Be careful- most of those are specifically NOT for use in a Can Cannon
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No blanks til tuesday...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No blanks til tuesday...
Got .223 dies and pistol powder?  Not a big deal to make your own to try it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got .223 dies and pistol powder?  Not a big deal to make your own to try it.
View Quote
How do you crimp the end?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Why not? Are we talking ruptured cans or blowing the whole thing up?

The barrel stub and extension should be able to handle even the full pressure m195 just fine. although I don’t know about the alumni barrel shroud...

Maybe I should make a launcher shroud/tube out of titanium...

Can someone measure the ID of their launch tube? I’m guessing it’s about 2.650” as that’s a fairly standard stock size (2.750” OD x 0.050” wall) and aluminum can spec is 2.602 +/- 0.007 inches.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why not? Are we talking ruptured cans or blowing the whole thing up?

The barrel stub and extension should be able to handle even the full pressure m195 just fine. although I don’t know about the alumni barrel shroud...

Maybe I should make a launcher shroud/tube out of titanium...

Can someone measure the ID of their launch tube? I’m guessing it’s about 2.650” as that’s a fairly standard stock size (2.750” OD x 0.050” wall) and aluminum can spec is 2.602 +/- 0.007 inches.
View Quote
Someone already measured their tube and posted in this thread
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just the diameter so far. No one has measured the LENGTH of the tubes, both long and short
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just the diameter so far. No one has measured the LENGTH of the tubes, both long and short
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I'll go home for lunch I'll measure it, someone IMd me yesterday but I forgot all about it
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

When I'll go home for lunch I'll measure it, someone IMd me yesterday but I forgot all about it
View Quote
That was prob me....  lol
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hopefully she brings back some 2-cycle gas, styrofoam  and cannon fuse too.
View Quote
I want to see where this is going.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh FFS - you guys are so focused on length!!! This is the “normal” one from the F5 website (“short”?):
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

9.25”
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh FFS - you guys are so focused on length!!! This is the “normal” one from the F5 website (“short”?):
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/328408/D7E13937-A20C-4A1F-8B4C-6997F97827DE-605284.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/328408/98472F3B-589A-42C7-9446-C5B0000B997F-605285.JPG

9.25”
View Quote
Mighty nice specimen you got there... definitely not too beaucoup.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top