BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've read criticisms of its underwater protection. My understanding is that is largely a byproduct of needing to fit in the Panama Canal.

The other criticism I've read is that its armor isn't proof against its own guns. Considering there wasn't armor afloat proof against the 16/50, I'd say that's a poor argument.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, IMHO, the Iowa´s were often criticised for their weak Armor, often called "Battlecruisers".

Cite, please?

I've read criticisms of its underwater protection. My understanding is that is largely a byproduct of needing to fit in the Panama Canal.

The other criticism I've read is that its armor isn't proof against its own guns. Considering there wasn't armor afloat proof against the 16/50, I'd say that's a poor argument.

One thing I do not know about the Montana class... Since it wasn't restricted to Panamax, did they beef up the armor belt considerably? They could have, with the only downside being reduced speed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, IMHO, the Iowa´s were often criticised for their weak Armor, often called "Battlecruisers".

Cite, please?

Most US Battleships were designed with armor that were proof against their own guns.  The Iowa's were fast battleships, but a little light on the armor.  Battlecruisers were closer to heavy cruisers when it came to armor.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

One thing I do not know about the Montana class... Since it wasn't restricted to Panamax, did they beef up the armor belt considerably? They could have, with the only downside being reduced speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite, please?

Yes. It would have had armor proof against the 16/50, with  her speed reduced to 28kts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite, please?

That's exactly what they did.  Less speed, more armor/guns.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread could stand a pic

Here's Wisconsin at sunset.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/le_pew/DSC_4193a_zpsa6dd3707.jpg
View Quote
I really wish they would ballast the Iowas down to their proper waterline. They look goofy riding so high.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite, please?

I know they upped above-deck armor and such... Wasn't sure about the waterline/etc for torpedo resistance... Would make sense to.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Most US Battleships were designed with armor that were proof against their own guns.
View Quote

Yes. But it is a stupid metric. It should be designed to defeat the threat, not itself.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
----
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really wish they would ballast the Iowas down to their proper waterline. They look goofy riding so high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're gonna need a shitload of ballast.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BIG and expensive ships are too vulnerable to cruise missiles and other modern weapons. The US clearly learned that lesson from the British in the Falklands. That's why they finally decided to retire the New Jersey. It would have been a PR disaster if a ship like the NJ had been taken out by a single shot from a cheap weapon like a cruise missile! And with nukes now widely available it would been a sure target for terrorist groups or a rogue nation!  Besides with modern precision guided weapons and high wield warheads it doesn't take a BIG ship with lots of heavy guns to destroy a target!  I'm sure that you'll seen plenty to the one-shot one-kill results on bridges, buildings, aircraft and other targets in the last couple of wars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if we put nuke reactors in the Iowa's?  

BIG and expensive ships are too vulnerable to cruise missiles and other modern weapons. The US clearly learned that lesson from the British in the Falklands. That's why they finally decided to retire the New Jersey. It would have been a PR disaster if a ship like the NJ had been taken out by a single shot from a cheap weapon like a cruise missile! And with nukes now widely available it would been a sure target for terrorist groups or a rogue nation!  Besides with modern precision guided weapons and high wield warheads it doesn't take a BIG ship with lots of heavy guns to destroy a target!  I'm sure that you'll seen plenty to the one-shot one-kill results on bridges, buildings, aircraft and other targets in the last couple of wars.

I remember sometime after the Falklands a reporter interviewed an Iowa captain and asked what he would do if his ship were hit with an Exocet missile?  The captain replied he would call out sweepers. The reply was lost on the reporter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes. But it is a stupid metric. It should be designed to defeat the threat, not itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most US Battleships were designed with armor that were proof against their own guns.

It makes sense if you presume that the enemy's arms and armor are equal to yours.

But when you KNOW you have superiority,  no, it doesn't make much sense.

Being fast enough to dictate the terms of battle is an advantage that is difficult to overstate.  Speed is life.

CJ

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite, please?

The design supposedly offered full protection from a 16"/50 MKVIII AP round above and below the waterline. Iowa's didn't have that much protection but could/should handle a lighter MKVII AP hit. I believe one of the last iterations dealt with the slow speed (28kt) by increasing the powerplant and the length of the hull to get it up to 33kts. Since a keel was never laid it's hard to say what we would have ended up with.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For torpedoes in 42-43 yes, but not for long range gunnery on up to date ships anything past 42. Yamato's fire control would not have allowed her accurate fire until she was well inside a Iowa class BBs range, Yamato would have been shot to pieces before she got to a range where she could shoot with any accuracy and that assuming the US commander would let her close to that range which he probably would not have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoever got the first solid hit.
ding  

btw the Japs had some pretty damn good capabilities with targeting & fire control, they kicked our asses in Iron Bottom Sound

For torpedoes in 42-43 yes, but not for long range gunnery on up to date ships anything past 42. Yamato's fire control would not have allowed her accurate fire until she was well inside a Iowa class BBs range, Yamato would have been shot to pieces before she got to a range where she could shoot with any accuracy and that assuming the US commander would let her close to that range which he probably would not have.

The US fleet had a major advantage in surface radar that allowed precise ranging and fire control.  The problem that existed, especially during the naval engagements around Guadalcanal, is that the commanders were not up to the task in using the technology to their advantage.  Yes, we got some deadly barrages on target at night with a few vessels but the problem was the task force commanders let the range close or allowed the enemy to slip past a tactically disadvantaged point before firing.  By then, the IJN ships let loose their long lance torpedoes and traded shots with the US fleet.  Those engagements were within 5000 yards and no armor is going to stop a shot fired that close.  One commander, Callahan I believe, drove his ships single file between two columns of Jap vessels before firing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite, please?

They actually built bigger locks to go on the Canal - but the war prevented installing them, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite, please?

They topped out at 28 knots - compared to the Iowa's 33+.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite, please?

I know it was slower, and that it had added armor. My question was more specifically about its armor/belt below the waterline... Something limited on the Iowa class due to panamax, but not limited on the Montana class.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The US fleet had a major advantage in surface radar that allowed precise ranging and fire control.  The problem that existed, especially during the naval engagements around Guadalcanal, is that the commanders were not up to the task in using the technology to their advantage.  Yes, we got some deadly barrages on target at night with a few vessels but the problem was the task force commanders let the range close or allowed the enemy to slip past a tactically disadvantaged point before firing.  By then, the IJN ships let loose their long lance torpedoes and traded shots with the US fleet.  Those engagements were within 5000 yards and no armor is going to stop a shot fired that close.  One commander, Callahan I believe, drove his ships single file between two columns of Jap vessels before firing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ding  

btw the Japs had some pretty damn good capabilities with targeting & fire control, they kicked our asses in Iron Bottom Sound

The US Navy was still figuring out radar at Guadalcanal.  Was it the Washington that had their surface search radar mounted wrong, so it was blind to the rear?

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Those engagements were within 5000 yards and no armor is going to stop a shot fired that close.  
View Quote

The South Dakota took a pounding and lived.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-092.htm

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB57/1942DamageReport/GuadalcanalDamageRpt.html

Hotel Yamato's gunnery skills seemed to be lacking in the Battle off Samar.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The US Navy was still figuring out radar at Guadalcanal.  Was it the Washington that had their surface search radar mounted wrong, so it was blind to the rear?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ding  

It was mounted in front of a structure so that it was blind in about a 60 degree arc to the rear.  Lee was a hell of a commander and used his radar and fire control to devastating effect and actually opening up on the enemy from 18,000 yards.  The engagement did get pretty close though.  I found it quite disturbing that Halsey replaced 2 commanders that had actual knowledge and experience with radar with those that didn't.  Also, after observing the enemy fleet on radar no commander used their destroyers to any degree in making torpedo runs before opening fire while the Japanese used theirs at first notice of enemy vessels.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Those engagements were within 5000 yards and no armor is going to stop a shot fired that close.  

The South Dakota took a pounding and lived.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-092.htm

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB57/1942DamageReport/GuadalcanalGunfireDamageReportPlateI.jpg

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/BB57/1942DamageReport/GuadalcanalDamageRpt.html

Hotel Yamato's gunnery skills seemed to be lacking in the Battle off Samar.

That's an amazing read. Thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#24]
The Montana had a dual main belt armor protection scheme.  I dont have Friedman's book in front of me, but I did find a picture online that illustrates the armor protection in a cross-cut of the hull where the engine room was:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016715.jpg

The main belt is the solid black along the exterior of the hull.  Running along the interior of the hull would be an additional belt of armor that was 8.5" at its thickest.

The Montana would most definately have been a formidable ship.  Thicker armor than the Iowa's, 3 more 16" guns, longer caliber secondary armament, even more room for A-A guns (20 & 40mm).  

Also, if memory serves, a montana class type of machinery layout was later used for the Midway class aircraft carriers (1st carrier not capable of transiting the Panama Canal)
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In that diagram you linked to - are those "torpedo bulges" on the lower part of the diagram?
View Quote

Hard to tell.  They probably functioned as torpedo bulges, but I believe that it was standard USN practice to have torpedo bulges serve dual purpose as fuel/water ballast bunkers as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Those bulges are part of the TDS (torpedo defense system) and have void and liquid filled zones arranged to absorb underwater explosion damage and mitigate its effects. I have a diagram somewhere comparing several BB cross sections, and it makes it easier to see the differences and also why the Montana and North Carolina system are better than the Iowa/South Dakota system. The Iowa system wasnt bad, but its belt extended down to the triple bottom and there was some concern that a large enough explosion could cause the bottom of the armor to tear away from the bottom of the hull in that area. Yamato's TDS was in fact pierced by arial dropped torps that were well within its designed resisitance yield, but that was due to poor quality steel and joint work and possibly a lack of liquid filled compartments.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Montana had a dual main belt armor protection scheme.  I dont have Friedman's book in front of me, but I did find a picture online that illustrates the armor protection in a cross-cut of the hull where the engine room was:

The main belt is the solid black along the exterior of the hull.  Running along the interior of the hull would be an additional belt of armor that was 8.5" at its thickest.

The Montana would most definately have been a formidable ship.  Thicker armor than the Iowa's, 3 more 16" guns, longer caliber secondary armament, even more room for A-A guns (20 & 40mm).  

Also, if memory serves, a montana class type of machinery layout was later used for the Midway class aircraft carriers (1st carrier not capable of transiting the Panama Canal)
View Quote

I think the whole hull, minus armor - at least the exterior below what would have been the weather deck on the BB.

The Alaska class supposedly had similar machinery to the Essex class carriers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the whole hull, minus armor - at least the exterior below what would have been the weather deck on the BB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had the same machinery.

A conversion of the Alaska cruisers to carriers was "particularly attractive"[22] because of the many similarities between the design of the Essex-class aircraft carriers and the Alaska class, including the same machinery.[23]
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok sidebar question.

Since GD seems like the Iowa class, how would a 1945 Iowa class BB do against a modern Ticondaroga class cruiser?  Assume for this discussion NO nukes on the Tico.

Does the minor superior speed of the Tico help?

Can it's greater standoff range keep it out of range of the big guns?

Does it carry enough firepower to sink the big ship, or at least render it effectively dead?
View Quote

Do I get TASM? I'll screw it up a bit with 8 Harpoons. If I can somehow knock out its directors for the 16" guns, I can close to 5" (which is superior on the Tico given the better gun) and SM-2 range and pummel the upperworks to the point it becomes NMC. I doubt I could sink her, but she'd be out of the fight. Give me TASM, and I won't even close to 5" range.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes you get TASM.

Now I'm curious as to the effectiveness of WW2 Naval AA vs modern cruise missiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok sidebar question.

Since GD seems like the Iowa class, how would a 1945 Iowa class BB do against a modern Ticondaroga class cruiser?  Assume for this discussion NO nukes on the Tico.

Does it carry enough firepower to sink the big ship, or at least render it effectively dead?

Do I get TASM? I'll screw it up a bit with 8 Harpoons. If I can somehow knock out its directors for the 16" guns, I can close to 5" (which is superior on the Tico given the better gun) and SM-2 range and pummel the upperworks to the point it becomes NMC. I doubt I could sink her, but she'd be out of the fight. Give me TASM, and I won't even close to 5" range.

Yes you get TASM.

Now I'm curious as to the effectiveness of WW2 Naval AA vs modern cruise missiles.
Blind luck to shoot one down.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes you get TASM.

View Quote

Thought about it some more, I don't need TASM.
I'll just attack the BB at night and jam their radars with my SLQ-32(V)3. Pound the crap out of it with SM-2 then 5" and run away before daylight breaks.

WW2 AA would need to be lucky, very lucky to kill a modern cruise missile. I think we only shot down one or two Ohkas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In WW2 did the BBs still have the searchlights?  How about flares for optical sighting of the guns?

Why the SM-2 vs the larger warhead of the TASM, is it to get through the AAA?

I was thinking about the wall of steel they could put up if they only had to defend from 1 missile from 1 attacker.  Thinking about it some more, programming multiple simultaneous strikes would produce the same kind of multiple threat environment of WW2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you get TASM.

I'll just attack the BB at night and jam their radars with my SLQ-32(V)3. Pound the crap out of it with SM-2 then 5" and run away before daylight breaks.

In WW2 did the BBs still have the searchlights?  How about flares for optical sighting of the guns?

WW2 AA would need to be lucky, very lucky to kill a modern cruise missile. I think we only shot down one or two Ohkas.

I was thinking about the wall of steel they could put up if they only had to defend from 1 missile from 1 attacker.  Thinking about it some more, programming multiple simultaneous strikes would produce the same kind of multiple threat environment of WW2

TASM is not a fielded system.  SM-2 lets the CG engage from just inside the radar horizon.  Even though the warhead isn't that large, the missile is still supersonic on impact.  It won't sink the BB, but it can cause problems for antennae, stacks, and anyone exposed topside.

Why no,Harpoon though?

Does the CG have a 60 for OTHT?
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

TASM is not a fielded system.  SM-2 lets the CG engage from just inside the radar horizon.  Even though the warhead isn't that large, the missile is still supersonic on impact.  It won't sink the BB, but it can cause problems for antennae, stacks, and anyone exposed topside.

Why no,Harpoon though?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes you get TASM.

Why no,Harpoon though?

I was assuming an initial salvo of Harpoons.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
trimmed

It was mounted in front of a structure so that it was blind in about a 60 degree arc to the rear.  Lee was a hell of a commander and used his radar and fire control to devastating effect and actually opening up on the enemy from 18,000 yards.  The engagement did get pretty close though.  I found it quite disturbing that Halsey replaced 2 commanders that had actual knowledge and experience with radar with those that didn't.  Also, after observing the enemy fleet on radar no commander used their destroyers to any degree in making torpedo runs before opening fire while the Japanese used theirs at first notice of enemy vessels.
View Quote

Well some of that is more a comment on the quality or lack thereof of our surface running torpedoes compared to the Japanese, especially in speed and range.  Why run our DDs into a kill zone before they could even get to launch range?

I've always wondered why they didn't send some submarines down there to take out the shelling ships.  We knew where they were coming to, we knew about what time they would be there and once they opened up they would be easy targets.  Plus even the hint that they were there would have caused some additional counter-measures that would have greatly complicated the missions, more ASW forces, anti-sub maneuvering

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That Pic IS NOT of the Wisconsin in the foreground.

For one million worthless internet trivia points, anyone know why?

If you guessed because that would be a shot of the Bow from Kentucky, who had its bow cut off to repair Wisconsin you are right!  

Just some worthless trivia on the two unfinished Iowa class boats

Here is also what the Illinois and Kentucky were slated to end up as:

RIM/Terrier/Tartar and Polaris carriers making them a BBG.  

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016625.jpg

Link Posted: 8/9/2013 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Next time you ask a trivia question at least give somebody a chance to answer! I could have looked smart for a small second there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Was one or the other really just over-gunned?

Which one had the most firepower?

Which was biggest?
View Quote

I'll take Iowa class BBs for $1000 Alex...more of them are still floating.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
A little bit on armor protection:

My understanding is that the Iowas were designed with thick enough armor to be proof against their own 16"/50 guns, but only when firing the lighter of two available AP shells, though it would be armored against the older 16"/45 gun.  The South Dakota class was designed to be armored against it's own 16"/45 guns, and the North Carolina class was originally supposed to be armored against it's own main batter of 14" guns, but after construction had started there was a switch of 16" guns (which the ship was designed to accommodate) without an upgrading of the armor.

In any case, if your armor is thick enough to protect against the enemy's guns.  And I think we did quite well at that.

The Yamato class (two ships) had 18" guns, the Nagato class (two ships) had 16" guns, but neither of those weapons matched our 16"/50 guns on the Iowas, and the Nagato's 16" guns didn't quite match our 16"/45.  The remaining Japanese battleships, and some of them were "battleships" rebuilt or reclassified from battle cruisers, were armed with 14" guns.

The German battleships included two (Bismarck, Tirpitz) with 15" guns and several other ships in various classes with 11" guns.  Bismarck and Tirpitz had excellent fire control, and maybe their guns would have been powerful enough to punch holes in the Washington and North Carolina, as those ships were originally armored against their own planned 14" guns, but I understand that Bismarck and Tirpitz themselves were lacking in armor protection and using an older scheme of incremental armoring rather than "all or nothing" armor.

And yes, incremental vs "all or nothing" armor makes a big difference.  When somebody is shooting a 16" gun at you, having armor designed to stop shells that are 8" or smaller is worse than having no armor at all - The fuses in the shells will be activated, they will penetrate the armor, and detonate inside.  An unarmored structure will simply allow AP shells to pass right on through through without detonating - there won't be enough resistance to trigger the impact fuse.
(See: Sou-Dak & Washington vs. Kirishima - Sou-Dak took multiple hits to the superstructure which simply passed through.)

I would say that our ships were quite well armored when compared against their opponents.

Quoted:
Ok sidebar question.

View Quote

Honestly, I don't have a clue if Ticonderoga could actually sink a battleship with it's missiles.  As was mentioned before, one of the Iowa-class captains suggested he would simply call out the sweepers if his ship was struck by a missile.

Having said that...The secondary battery, AA battery, fire control, bridge, pretty much everything not protected by the main armor belt or the main battery's turret armor, would be very vulnerable.

Even if a Ticonderoga class couldn't actually sink a 1945 era Iowa class, it could do enough damage by pummeling the ship with it's array of missiles to render the Iowa completely useless as an instrument of war.

Personally, I wouldn't mind building a few modern battleships, to provide fire support should we ever need it, and act as a giant floating missile platform.
Picture a nuclear powered Montana class ship, with a more consolidated and boxy superstructure, AEGIS radars, only a single aft turret instead of two, both 20mm CIWS and RAM missile launchers for anti-missile defense, and as many VLS launcher cells as you can possibly cram into the hull.

Yes, it would be expensive, but it would also be a great way to say "FUCK YOU!" if we ever wanted to park it off somebody's coast and pound the crap out of them en-mass......I'm looking at you North Korea!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top