Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Picked one up a few years ago for sub $250...I plan to hold onto it for many of the reasons in the OP but wouldn’t pay $400+ for it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Those look rough.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm one of those oldsters and I got mine for $110 back in the mid-90's and even I came in here to tell these fucksticks that this ain't the 90's anymore and they ain't gonna get them any cheaper now or in the future so quitcher bitchin!
View Quote

Roses ran their $130.00 SKSs on sale about every month for under $100.00 back in the early 90s but fuck that, they ran their $50.00 Finned M91s on sale for $34.00. Those would have been the ones to stack deep as they go for more than the Chi-Com SKSs now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those look rough.

View Quote

That’s actually part of the appeal to many.

Millennials are attracted to rifles with “provenance.” They’re already accustomed to all the fancy wizbang guns that SHOT show gives us, but seldom get a rifle that was actually used to tyrannize and kill people. I know that seems strange to boomers and Gen X because they grew up on old war implements. Millennials usually did not.

You know grandpa “sporterized” his bringback K98 after the war to deer hunt with it? He didn’t care about the history because he lived it. He just liked having a free rifle. Then his kids just liked having cheap Ammo and parts kits and seeking the “nicest” milsurp you could dig out of the barrel at the hardware store. The grandkids and great grandkids now seek rifles that “were actually there” because there’s something mystical about the object that carries history.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
For $400, I'd like the importer to take a first pass at melting out the cosmo. You have no clue what you're getting for $400, and that's my biggest problem.

Functional gun?  Great, sign me up.  Smoothbore single shot that I need to invest the time to scrape ancient cosmo out of? No thanks.

I played that game with Classic a year or two ago on a Yugo SKS.  Got lucky.  Not interested in doing it again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck PSA !!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you telling me PSA doesn't have daily deals where a nitride kit is around $400? If not PSA, you can build it if you shop around... even in Fauxvid 19.

A $400 beat up Chinese SKS is retarded in 2020.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more about building an AR for the same damn price on their website. please.

Are you telling me PSA doesn't have daily deals where a nitride kit is around $400? If not PSA, you can build it if you shop around... even in Fauxvid 19.

A $400 beat up Chinese SKS is retarded in 2020.

Even the cheapest PSA rifle is probably going to be pushing $700 by the time you’re done.

Also, piecing together the cheapest rifle you can probably isn’t going to get you the best results. The SKS is obsolete, but at least it works.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For $400, I'd like the importer to take a first pass at melting out the cosmo. You have no clue what you're getting for $400, and that's my biggest problem.

Functional gun?  Great, sign me up.  Smoothbore single shot that I need to invest the time to scrape ancient cosmo out of? No thanks.

I played that game with Classic a year or two ago on a Yugo SKS.  Got lucky.  Not interested in doing it again.
View Quote

I definitely wouldn’t do it again lol
I just wanted the experience and to learn a new platform. Definitely worth the experience. Not worth the hassle if you’re not a tinkering type or don’t care how the gun works or how to take it apart and put it back together.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Millennials are attracted to rifles with “provenance.” They’re already accustomed to all the fancy wizbang guns that SHOT show gives us, but seldom get a rifle that was actually used to tyrannize and kill people. I know that seems strange to boomers and Gen X because they grew up on old war implements. Millennials usually did not.

You know grandpa “sporterized” his bringback K98 after the war to deer hunt with it? He didn’t care about the history because he lived it. He just liked having a free rifle. Then his kids just liked having cheap Ammo and parts kits and seeking the “nicest” milsurp you could dig out of the barrel at the hardware store. The grandkids and great grandkids now seek rifles that “were actually there” because there’s something mystical about the object that carries history.
View Quote

Except for the the tyrannize part, that's one of the major appeals to Garand owners, a weapon that may have seen stuff and done things, man! It was a fine battle rifle in its day, but it can easily be superceded by 100 different rifles and probably for less cost. But with a Garand, there is history attached. Even if your particular one didn't serve, it was produced in the same factory by the same companies as rifles that did serve.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Im not gonna get one from PSA but may pick one up the next time someone sells or trades one in. I have a wolverine with no host
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Had one back in the day when they were $100.  They were worth that.  Today's prices, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My brothers best friends dad, former Navy SEAL, sold my brother this for around $200 a couple of months ago. It's communist equipment, but it feels solid.

https://i.imgur.com/cjXG4Rl.jpg

View Quote

Navy seals use SKSs?

Your bro could sell that for a few K.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
true
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The c&r lets me hide my shame when buying things such as sks's. I buy good guns at gun stores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“It would require me to drive to a gun store” is a stupid reason to not own a gun.

The c&r lets me hide my shame when buying things such as sks's. I buy good guns at gun stores.

The disguise I would need in order that no one I know would recognize me carrying out an SKS from my LGS would cost me a couple hundred dollars on top of a 15 dollar transfer fee.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought mine back in the 90s. It is still my favorite hog hunting gun. More comfortable to carry all day than my ARs, and plenty effective.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why buy them when the Chinese will leave all kinds of guns on the ground when they attack us.
View Quote

If you actually believe this you are delusional and need a reality check.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Here’s my SKS story. In 1993 I was a poor cop in North Carolina, working for a larger agency that was liberal even back then. Although we qualified with 870 shotguns, we weren’t allowed to be issued one, only shot the Remington in the academy.

Most of the ex military guys on the squad knew that even then, we needed some type of rifle or shotgun in the trunk, just in case, figuring if the SHTF that hard that we needed a rifle, we would be forgiven for violating WSPD policy. A few of us picked up SKS’, with a folding Tapco stock, and threw them into the trunk of our take home cars.

Most of us had families, and making 26 thousand a year in 1993 hurt. The SKS would get the job done, even with a Tapco stock, and being neglected in a soft case. Maybe because we were former military, we thought an SKS was better than nothing. Long story short, after a few shootings, the department let us have shotguns, and before I resigned, even had a Ruger 40 cal carbine, in the trunk of course...

I still have my SKS, and the Tapco stock, but the stock was swapped back to the original wood. The moral of the story is that the SKS can get the job done even with iron sights, and it’s free of the evil features if you take the folding bayonet off.

Think about it....if they come for your evil rifle, do you want something you can use out in the open....
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
$400?

buy a real gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The disguise I would need in order that no one I know would recognize me carrying out an SKS from my LGS would cost me a couple hundred dollars on top of a 15 dollar transfer fee.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$320 from Classic firearms
After shipping and transfer it was right under $400
View Quote

And anyone who paid that for what I looked at in the photo over paid significantly.  I laugh my ass off at the idea of someone getting bent over the barrel like that .  

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Even the cheapest PSA rifle is probably going to be pushing $700 by the time you’re done.

Also, piecing together the cheapest rifle you can probably isn’t going to get you the best results. The SKS is obsolete, but at least it works.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

There are plenty of good parts to build an AR that will still be significantly better than a SKS. That is not even considering the used market, which all these commie 2x4s are.

I'll reiterate that only a fucking idiot or Californian would pick an SKS over an AR-15 in 2020.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And anyone who paid that for what I looked at in the photo over paid significantly.  I laugh my ass off at the idea of someone getting bent over the barrel like that .  

View Quote

He got Ben’d over
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Threaded or pressed barrels?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

There are plenty of good parts to build an AR that will still be significantly better than a SKS. That is not even considering the used market, which all these commie 2x4s are.

I'll reiterate that only a fucking idiot or Californian would pick an SKS over an AR-15 in 2020.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

I don’t think anyone has suggested that an SKS is superior to an AR.

What I’m saying is that you aren’t getting a decent AR for $350 at this time. I’d be surprised if you could get ANY AR at that price.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They were fun at $89-$99, for $400 I'll build another AR.
View Quote

This. I bought and shot plenty when they were under a hundred bucks, and that's about all they were ever worth. For what they cost now you can get a decent rifle that takes a detachable magazine. They're a novelty at this point.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]
This is yet another thread where many ARF.com members admit that despite being gun owners they are not really “gun guys.” And that’s OK. You look at guns merely as defensive tools, but you really have no love for guns.

If something isn’t a Tier 1 tactical gun blessed by the likes of good old Rusty, and his cola spewing peep eaters, you have no interest. And once again, it’s OK not to be a gun guy.

It is a shame that you can’t broaden your horizons and enjoy a gun because of its history, beauty, or the enjoyment it provides on the range but being a Tier 1 operator is a full time job and obsession.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is yet another thread where many ARF.com members admit that despite being gun owners they are not really “gun guys.” And that’s OK. You look at guns merely as defensive tools, but you really have no love for guns.

If something isn’t a Tier 1 tactical gun blessed by the likes of good old Rusty, and his cola spewing peep eaters, you have no interest. And once again, it’s OK not to be a gun guy.

It is a shame that you can’t broaden your horizons and enjoy a gun because of its history, beauty, or the enjoyment it provides on the range but being a Tier 1 operator is a full time job and obsession.
View Quote

I have a long history of railing against the "operator" horseshit on this board.  However those guns are whipped and if someone paid $400 for  one of those and then had the poor judgement to brag about they deserve to be pilloried on the interwebs.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Millenials are idiots.  Those guns are flat out abused / clapped out that is not provenance.   I own collectible rifles that have provenance ...    By the standards you just applied I can make any gun have some provenance by dragging it down a dirt road behind my car and finding a Millenial to sell it to.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you already have 87 ARs and they’re spilling out of every drawer and closet and you want to mix things up a bit. Without spending $1500. Or buying obscure guns that you can’t find ammo for. And you don’t actually intend to use it for HD or boogaloo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I already have a mint Russian. No thanks.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Millenials are idiots.  Those guns are flat out abused / clapped out that is not provenance.   I own collectible rifles that have provenance ...    By the standards you just applied I can make any gun have some provenance by dragging it down a dirt road behind my car and finding a Millenial to sell it to.
View Quote

Are you new here? Everyone knows that provenance is correctly applied by dragging it down the driveway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought one brand new in the late 80's early 90's when they were $120, sold it a long time ago for less...regrets, yes
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#33]
If they don’t accept C&R they can suck me sideways
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#35]
double
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Current buyers set the market price, not some worn-out Fudd or Tactical Tony that had a mil-surp moment back in the early 90s or even someone like myself that puts in the work and hunts down deals.

Here is sort of a example.

I've really not kept up with WW-2 German mil-surp prices except for K98s and snagged a matching  byf-42 P-38 the other day on a trade. I have a bit less than $400.00 in it. To my own amazement it easily worth 2X what I paid for it at auction.

Attachment Attached File

Sure, to me it's not worth a whole lot more than the trade value I have in it but people like me do not set the auction prices. It's really as simple as that.

You want a eye-opener.....Go to completed auctions on GunPorker (where the pricing rubber really meets the road) and type in Chinese SKS, look at the first two pages, and tell me how many SKSs have sold for under $400.00 counting shipping and a average transfer fee of $25.00.....I'll save you the trouble, one (assuming shipping and transfer totaled less than $50.00) and it is one of the ones like PSA is selling.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

You missed the entire point that poster was making.  Good job boomer

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You missed the entire point that poster was making.  Good job boomer

View Quote

No I didn't and millennials are still idiots.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh look, another broad brush millennial post. We weren’t around for the barrels full of milsurps for $20 like you were, old guns are expensive now.

A lot of us also don’t care about provenance, it’s a cool old military gun and that’s all that matters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What I’m saying is that you aren’t getting a decent AR for $350 at this time. I’d be surprised if you could get ANY AR at that price.
View Quote

OP made a laundry list of meme answers on buying SKS that is right around $400 OTD.

You can build a chrome lined AR for that much if you don't post the deals on arfcom or gun deals or lurk in the EE. I cannot wrap my head around people buying beat to fuck Chinese SKSs like gun hipsters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

OP made a laundry list of meme answers on buying SKS that is right around $400 OTD.

You can build a chrome lined AR for that much if you don't post the deals on arfcom or gun deals or lurk in the EE. I cannot wrap my head around people buying beat to fuck Chinese SKSs like gun hipsters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As had been covered before, if you have 17 ARs, what’s the point of another one?

Not every gun has to be the best at everything, I have a bunch of 70 year old bolt guns because they’re cool, they aren’t for going to war with, they’re for enjoyment.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If they don’t accept C&R they can suck me sideways
View Quote

This. Was tempted until I scrolled down and read that.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As had been covered before, if you have 17 ARs, what’s the point of another one?

Not every gun has to be the best at everything, I have a bunch of 70 year old bolt guns because they’re cool, they aren’t for going to war with, they’re for enjoyment.
View Quote

The 18th AR can be turned into whatever the fuck you want vs. a very mediocre rifle that has shitty stocks, sights, triggers, and accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Damnit op!
I had just enough beer.
It's your ass if it's not in
Mint Condition. Or with cool soldier graffiti.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Had a guy have one shipped to my shop, he was less then excited with the condition. It looked like they found it at the bottom of a river.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The 18th AR can be turned into whatever the fuck you want vs. a very mediocre rifle that has shitty stocks, sights, triggers, and accuracy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no desire, and no use for even half that many ARs. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
$400?

buy a real gun.
View Quote

It IS a real gun that'll still kill you REAL DEAD!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I didn't buy one when they were $70 I sure as shit ain't spending $400 on one.
View Quote

same sentiment from me
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why buy them when the Chinese will leave all kinds of guns on the ground when they attack us.

Oh, I don't think he's delusional for thinking we'd slaughter the Chinese en mass.....

Yeah, yeah, I know you were talking about them attacking us...
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh look, another broad brush millennial post. We weren’t around for the barrels full of milsurps for $20 like you were, old guns are expensive now.

A lot of us also don’t care about provenance, it’s a cool old military gun and that’s all that matters.
View Quote

Go watch your barney episodes kid  , let the men talk about guns.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top