Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A God that is endless. A planet in  space and time that is endless. Doesn't really matter how old you think it is, and in the end has no bearing on your salvation.

But party on
View Quote
Paul would disagree.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is your faith so weak that it rests on such a narrow interpretation of the word and a total rejection of what Gid has revealed to man about history.
View Quote
Whether my faith is strong or weak is irrelevant to the discussion, The issue is, what is true. Arguing about me really isn't the point is it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1. "Yom" with an ordinal number with the words "evening and morning" means a literal 24 hour day. That's the way Christians have understood it for centuries upon centuries.

2. That is speculative at best, untrue at worst. You don't know what they really understood about these abstract concepts. But when the 4th commandment was given at Sinai, it says that God created in 6 days and rested the 7th. Do you really believe they would have been asking themselves, was it really 6 days or maybe it was really just long periods of time or whatever? As for secular science learning things about origins, well, I don't think they have learned all that much.

3. Red herring, what some Christians might or might not say isn't really relevant to the article...did you read it?

I'm glad you left Catholicism, but whether the elements are literally the body and blood of Christ, doesn't have mush to do with whether Genesis is literal history.
View Quote

What is an hour to the one who made time?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What is a day to a being that created the sun and the moon and the earth?
View Quote
Again, what does that have to do with the topic. THE issue is what does the scripture say, is a day revealed to Adam a day or billions of years. How did Jesus view Genesis, as history or a myth, or poetic literature?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Whether my faith is strong or weak is irrelevant to the discussion, The issue is, what is true. Arguing about me really isn't the point is it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree, people in the "church" are trying pretty hard to undermine the idea that Genesis is history. The history of Adam and Eve and the fall, are the foundation on which the way of salvation is built. Death entered through Adam, but OE creationists have a real problem inserting billions of years into the bible narrative. If Genesis isn't literally true, the gospel falls.

Is your faith so weak that it rests on such a narrow interpretation of the word and a total rejection of what God has revealed to man about history.

Your saying the gospel falls if one narrow interpretation if genesis isn't literally true.
I say that makes you a man of weak faith.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a big universe, God may well have set the pieces in motion all throughout it and is cranking out new life forms left and right constantly.
View Quote
I don't think so, that is speculative at best. No doubt, God has some more stuff to do, we just don't know about that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Again, what does that have to do with the topic. THE issue is what does the scripture say, is a day revealed to Adam a day or billions of years. How did Jesus view Genesis, as history or a myth, or poetic literature?
View Quote

It can be history and our understanding of it can be woefully inadequate.

A day has no meaning in a universe with no earth or sun
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Found the root of the problem.
View Quote
It's actually the opposition, it's the foundation of a very much hopeful life.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
And, somehow that means billions of years or something, something?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think so, that is speculative at best. No doubt, God has some more stuff to do, we just don't know about that stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a big universe, God may well have set the pieces in motion all throughout it and is cranking out new life forms left and right constantly.

Have you considered your interpretation of the bible is speculative at best?

God can do whatever he wants, why would he stop with life on one dinky little planet out of trillions upon trillions of stars with innumerable planets spinning around them?

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And, somehow that means billions of years or something, something?
View Quote

It means we can not know.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your saying the gospel falls if one narrow interpretation if genesis isn't literally true.
I say that makes you a man of weak faith.
View Quote
Logically the Gospel falls if Adam didn't literally exist and didn't literally fall. The truth of a young earth or a multi billion year old earth plays heavily into that narrative. The truth matters. God didn't reveal His plan to us so we could just brush it off, and say well, it doesn't really matter if Genesis is myth or not, let's just believe the secularist on origins, they're totally squared away.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It can be history and our understanding of it can be woefully inadequate.

A day has no meaning in a universe with no earth or sun
View Quote
God's way definitely can confound the wise of this world. God used the term "yom" and evening and morning.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm an old universe creationist--very old.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sophistry? No, I was just trying to give him an honest answer. Some Christians I have known, do and have believed in a flat earth. I think they are wrong, but they are still brethren to me. I guess, Harry and I are the trolls these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ha! Your dialog here is increasingly resembling that of a modified flatearf/bigfeet stealth-troll. Smug rhetoric and sophistry galor! Enjoy your narcissistic endeavor.
Sophistry? No, I was just trying to give him an honest answer. Some Christians I have known, do and have believed in a flat earth. I think they are wrong, but they are still brethren to me. I guess, Harry and I are the trolls these days.

I think Harry actually is somewhat sincere in his beliefs mostly (if you are indeed not one in the same).  Your attempt to equate yourself with him to establish some kind of credibility is suspect. Your persona however? nah...The form and syntax of your argument is garden variety trolling that has become pervasive on forums across the internetz.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you considered your interpretation of the bible is speculative at best?

God can do whatever he wants, why would he stop with life on one dinky little planet out of trillions upon trillions of stars with innumerable planets spinning around them?

View Quote
What does any of that have to do with the subject. God didn't just do anything He wanted, He chose to create what we have now. And yes, I try to analyze my beliefs and see if they are informed by scriptures. I've changed my theology quite a bit over the years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It means we can not know.
View Quote
Well, I'm don't count myself that "we" of yours. I think the scriptures are pretty clear on that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think Harry actually is somewhat sincere in his beliefs mostly (if you are indeed not one in the same). Your persona however? nah... Your attempt to equate yourself with him to establish some kind of credibility is suspect. The form and syntax of your argument is garden variety trolling that has become pervasive on forums across the internetz.
View Quote
Ok, you win, you've found me out, I'm a troll, I'm insincere. OK
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's actually the opposition, it's the foundation of a very much hopeful life.
View Quote

Which of the many versions is the infallible one?

Insisting on infallibility of scripture (and not merely of message, i.e. just that essential to salvation) is absolutely ludicrous.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
… There are other ways, but I'm not that good at explaining them, I understand what more learned men are saying, I just can't explain it well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AThe young earth creationism article said young earth creationism is true.  I don't need to read the article.

That article made you a young earth creationist?

Again how can you tell what's literal and what isn't?
… There are other ways, but I'm not that good at explaining them, I understand what more learned men are saying, I just can't explain it well.

Well you sure didn’t take iggy1337 seriously because his father was a more learned man in geology.

I’m a Christian and a scientist (physicist) and know several others.

And the same science that leads to engineering feats (what you call “operationalized science”) is the same science that negates the YE. Unless it was made to look old when it was created. In which case, God wants us to believe it’s that old. And…… it doesn’t matter because it’s not a matter of salvation (as someone pointed out) and it doesn’t have anything to do with our values and morality.

A lot of crackpot ideas are enabled by word games/semantics to make any case. Almost like a legal loophole. At the end of the day, things are what they are, regardless of amazing mental gymnastics.

A physicist would never talk about certain “theories” the way crackpots do. They can dismiss it on a whim, cuz it’s a theeeeory, and move on with their bizarro case. Relatively is still a theory, but it accurately describes a lot and allows us to do engineering feats like satellite orbits and timing. It also goes against YE stuff.

Now it could be “wrong”, but it works where we’ve applied it so it’s not all wrong. So if you’re going to replace it with something it still needs to do everything relatively did, correctly, and then some.

Social science theories on the other hand, feel free to dismiss those :-)
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Logically the Gospel falls if Adam didn't literally exist and didn't literally fall. The truth of a young earth or a multi billion year old earth plays heavily into that narrative. The truth matters. God didn't reveal His plan to us so we could just brush it off, and say well, it doesn't really matter if Genesis is myth or not, let's just believe the secularist on origins, they're totally squared away.
View Quote

Adam existing and falling is not dependant on the timeline within which he did or for that matter if hominids existed before him. The bible also seems to reference other people beyond adam and his direct descendants. Like who was Cain or Seth's wives? Why did God mark Cain so other wouldn't kill him if it was just adam eve cain, able(dead)...

Maybe these were the first with souls and consciousness created to be perfect in Gods image but fell short...

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
God's way definitely can confound the wise of this world. God used the term "yom" and evening and morning.
View Quote

Supposedly moses wrote Genesis and used the word yom.

How does a timeless all powerful being explain the creation of the universe in a way man can explain it to other men?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I'm don't count myself that "we" of yours. I think the scriptures are pretty clear on that.
View Quote

They aren't though.

Your understanding of them leads you to believe you have some definitive answer when it is not given.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Harry actually is somewhat sincere in his beliefs mostly (if you are indeed not one in the same). Your persona however? nah... Your attempt to equate yourself with him to establish some kind of credibility is suspect. The form and syntax of your argument is garden variety trolling that has become pervasive on forums across the internetz.

Your pseudo-sarcastic responce is telling, Thanks for being sort of honest.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am ignorant of where in the bible a straightforward ~complete chronology of the world can be found.

Is there a simple case to be made from scripture?

(asked in earnest)
View Quote

There is:
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have no problem with operational science, the kind that makes stuff, that's different from historical "science" that generally tries to determine origins, that I have a problem with.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dad was a trained geologist. Thinking the earth is about 6000-1000 years old is just pretty loopy to be honest and not a indication of 'true faith'.

View Quote

Geologists believe that the rate things happen now, such as continental drift, has remained unchanged forever.  It is the basis of all of their assumptions about the age if things.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well you sure didn't take iggy1337 seriously because his father was a more learned man in geology.

I'm a Christian and a scientist (physicist) and know several others.

And the same science that leads to engineering feats (what you call "operationalized science") is the same science that negates the YE. Unless it was made to look old when it was created. In which case, God wants us to believe it's that old. And   it doesn't matter because it's not a matter of salvation (as someone pointed out) and it doesn't have anything to do with our values and morality.

A lot of crackpot ideas are enabled by word games/semantics to make any case. Almost like a legal loophole. At the end of the day, things are what they are, regardless of amazing mental gymnastics.

A physicist would never talk about certain "theories" the way crackpots do. They can dismiss it on a whim, cuz it's a theeeeory, and move on with their bizarro case. Relatively is still a theory, but it accurately describes a lot and allows us to do engineering feats like satellite orbits and timing. It also goes against YE stuff.

Now it could be "wrong", but it works where we've applied it so it's not all wrong. So if you're going to replace it with something it still needs to do everything relatively did, correctly, and then some.

Social science theories on the other hand, feel free to dismiss those :-)
View Quote
I have no idea if iggy's dad is more learned or not. If his learning was purely secular, then yes, I find that learning suspect.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. "Yom" with an ordinal number with the words "evening and morning" means a literal 24 hour day. That's the way Christians have understood it for centuries upon centuries.

2. That is speculative at best, untrue at worst. You don't know what they really understood about these abstract concepts. But when the 4th commandment was given at Sinai, it says that God created in 6 days and rested the 7th. Do you really believe they would have been asking themselves, was it really 6 days or maybe it was really just long periods of time or whatever? As for secular science learning things about origins, well, I don't think they have learned all that much.

3. Red herring, what some Christians might or might not say isn't really relevant to the article...did you read it?

I'm glad you left Catholicism, but whether the elements are literally the body and blood of Christ, doesn't have mush to do with whether Genesis is literal history.

Significant and substancial to His plan.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Adam existing and falling is not dependant on the timeline within which he did or for that matter if hominids existed before him. The bible also seems to reference other people beyond adam and his direct descendants. Like who was Cain or Seth's wives? Why did God mark Cain so other wouldn't kill him if it was just adam eve cain, able(dead)...

Maybe these were the first with souls and consciousness created to be perfect in Gods image but fell short...

View Quote
More speculation, hominids before Adam and Eve? Where in the scriptures do you see this, or did you get that idea from some other source?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Supposedly moses wrote Genesis and used the word yom.

How does a timeless all powerful being explain the creation of the universe in a way man can explain it to other men?
View Quote
The way He wanted to.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your pseudo-sarcastic responce is telling, Thanks for being sort of honest.
View Quote
Yes, it is sarcasm. Instead of dealing with the article and subject, you want to make me into a troll and being insincere. It's a waste of time. What I have learned is not to go about questioning peoples motives beyond what the scriptures tell me about motives in general. If a person tells me their motives, fine, but I don't run around trying to pin bad motives on people like you're trying to do to me. Whether you believe me or not, I can't help that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Jesus Christ OP, you and that Harry guy should get married or something.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People that believe in the young earth fail to know how long Adam and eve were in the garden before the fall. Nobody knows how long they were there before the fall,  could have been 69 billion years.
View Quote

From memory, Jewish rabbis hold that Eve had only been around for like 9 hours before she ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#36]
If the word yom is used to describe day meaning 24 hours in ancient hebrew. Then why also in genesis does it seem to offer an alternate definition of day? And the morning and evening were the first day. What hebrew words were uses there for morning and evening?

We had darkness night and light day but no earth spinning and no sun to light it and delineate.

Why does the chronological order differ from gen 1 to gen 2? It's almost like two separate creation stories.

What original text and translations were even used in your chinese printed king james version bible? Was this pre or post translation of the dead sea scrolls?  Did you even actually read it or are you relying on creation.com and your kindergarten coloring books?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
More speculation, hominids before Adam and Eve? Where in the scriptures do you see this, or did you get that idea from some other source?
View Quote

Who did cain and seth marry?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If the word yom is used to describe day meaning 24 hours in ancient hebrew. Then why also in genesis does it seem to offer an alternate definition of day? And the morning and evening were the first day. What hebrew words were uses there for morning and evening?

We had darkness night and light day but no earth spinning and no sun to light it and delineate.

Why does the chronological order differ from gen 1 to gen 2? It's almost like two separate creation stories.

What original text and translations were even used in your chinese printed king james version bible? Was this pre or post translation of the dead sea scrolls?  Did you even actually read it or are you relying on creation.com and your kindergarten coloring books?
View Quote

Look up the Genesis tablet / colophon / toledoth theories.  It may be possible Moses only compiled earlier oral or written histories.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Scientists measure the age of all the universe to be about 14 billion years old. And 94 billion light years across.
  Reverse the expansion (shrink) of the universe at a rate of the speed of light. Do that for 14 billion years, the age of the universe, it would be found that the universe began at the tender size of 80 billion light years across.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Brother, I’m going to be brutally honest here. It is attitudes like yours that drive people interested in Christianity away from it.

Being so vehemently against anyone and everyone that has a different perspective on something that isn’t fundamental to the teaching of Christ is purely driving a wedge where it isn’t needed.

Paul mentions how to handle this in Romans 14.
View Quote

This is where I'm at.

We're so busy beating each other up, we're losing the battle.

I tend to lean to young-ish earth, but don't think the belief in a 6000 year age is critical to being saved.

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ OP, you and that Harry guy should get married or something.
View Quote
That would be wrong. I looked at some of the threads on GD, and the vast majority don't interest me. Talking about guns, and war, the latest shooting are really not my thing right now. But sometimes I like to discuss theology, and the wonders of God. Harry can speak for himself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

From memory, Jewish rabbis hold that Eve had only been around for like 9 hours before she ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
View Quote
It's possible, I just don't think it was very long. In Genesis 1, God tells them to be fruitful and multiply, they would have had an innate understanding of what that meant, I think shortly thereafter they would have had sex and started to have children. We don't see the first children until after the fall. So. to insert 69 billion years into that is just arbitrary in my view.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know those Hebrew words, but it's pretty universally accepted by people who do know Hebrew, that that's what they mean.

And since you're just being obnoxious in your last sentence, I think we're done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is where I'm at.

We're so busy beating each other up, we're losing the battle.

I tend to lean to young-ish earth, but don't think the belief in a 6000 year age is critical to being saved.

View Quote
People can be inconsistent and be saved, but undermining the faith is a serious issue.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Scientists measure the age of all the universe to be about 14 billion years old. And 94 billion light years across.
  Reverse the expansion (shrink) of the universe at a rate of the speed of light. Do that for 14 billion years, the age of the universe, it would be found that the universe began at the tender size of 80 billion light years across.
View Quote

We can't even observe the entire universe, we don't know how big it is.

The speed of light speed limit applies to things moving through local space not the actual expansion of space itself. Parts of the universe are moving away from each other much faster than the speed of light and we can actually see things which are more light years away from us than the universe is old.
We are seeming to find some objects that would indicate the universe is even older.

This of course is all predicated on the assumption that space time and objects even exist. Our understanding of space time entirely breaks down at plank scale or 10-33cm.

All science is predicated on many assumptions. The more we science the slightly less assumptions we make but disproving any of those assumptions changes almost everything we think we know.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't know those Hebrew words, but it's pretty universally accepted by people who do know Hebrew, that that's what they mean.

And since you're just being obnoxious in your last sentence, I think we're done.
View Quote

I just asked a question. Sorry but a lot of people never actually read the bible. They learn about adam and eve from crudely simplified versions intended to give children an understanding and listen to the same bible readings year in and year out with the same homilies passed down from one priest to the next and all of it is focused on the gospel not the old testament.

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's possible, I just don't think it was very long. In Genesis 1, God tells them to be fruitful and multiply, they would have had an innate understanding of what that meant, I think shortly thereafter they would have had sex and started to have children. We don't see the first children until after the fall. So. to insert 69 billion years into that is just arbitrary in my view.
View Quote

You are just inserting that they had children before the fall. Why doesn't the bible mention that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I just asked a question. Sorry but a lot of people never actually read the bible. They learn about adam and eve from crudely simplified versions intended to give children an understanding and listen to the same bible readings year in and year out with the same homilies passed down from one priest to the next and all of it is focused on the gospel not the old testament.

View Quote
Their sisters.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are just inserting that they had children before the fall. Why doesn't the bible mention that?
View Quote
I said that the first children appeared after the fall. My view is at least 9 months and a day after the fall.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top