Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
We haven't gotten into the war yet in which boots on the ground wasn't required to totally subdue the enemy (or partially subdue the enemy, for that matter)

Tanks and aircraft aren't the end-all to warfare.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They might be worthless against air and armor...but they're damn effective against their wife and kids.
View Quote
A lot of good points ITT, this is not one of them.  Killing innocent women and children is something the bad guys do, not true Americans.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't fight tanks and aircraft with ARs.  But they can't hold the territory and that means boots on the ground.

BTW, have we not learned about IEDs from the Mohammedens?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Are you saying your side will send tanks and aircraft against its own citizens? Are you going to roll tanks into cities and glass suburbs? Because thats what youre telling me."
View Quote
They are the same kind of trash that would run over students with tanks like in China.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to the points you made, consider asking them the following: If there is already such an imbalance of power, why does their solution involve surrendering the last bit of power the citizenry does hold to the government?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
She must not know about the guy that's pissed off because 1 of 4 of his Form 1 activation of some Carl Gustav's were denied.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
co-worker has a valid point...

citizens should be allowed to have all the small arms, tanks, light and heavy mgs, manpads and stuff that a militia would have. that is what the 2nd was about, the ability of the citizens to defined themselves against tyranny and the various weapons that would allow that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
YES.
I point out that the military won't be called out on civilians and if it does roll out it will be on our side.
(I hope)
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Uh... pretty sure tanks have been completely destroyed in Iraq and Afghanistan by IEDs made out of materials anyone can buy.

As for jets and drones... do liberals think they would drop jdams on Americans on American soil?  Lol.  Dumb shit liberals
View Quote
And can you imagine a serious insurgency by a decent number of U.S. citizens in such a scenario where the .gov was trying to root out that insurgency?  Using the example of what a simple bunch of goat herders in AFG have done with little, while we have people with personal lathes, access to chemicals, etc. here in our first world nation.

Insurgents here would have way better success blending into the cities and communities while bringing all kinds of chaos.  It would be nasty.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
"The Gov has nukes your guns are worthless?"

Dude I live 4 blocks from you. You really haven't thought about this have you?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, they gotta get out and take a shit at some point!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Usually when someone opens up that line of argument, I say something like: "Yes, that's why the US military beat Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq so easily"
View Quote
This is how you do it.  Don’t sit there and argue- just give them a heaping scoop of cognitive dissonance and walk away.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Still works against the drivers and pilots though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
“Why you think I’ve got AT-4s, biatch?”
View Quote
I'm going to the wrong gunshows
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had that conversation before.  I think the best response is to ask why every military in the world bothers with small arms if they don't work against tanks, and whether they're aware that anyone that paid attention in college chemistry can make all the explosives they need, if the time comes to that.

ETA, pictures from the Romanian revolution are pretty good too. Lots of small arms, virtually no RPGs/MANPADs, etc.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/AN2988/24-12-1989-bucharest-romania-the-romanian-revolution-with-the-army-AN2988.jpg
View Quote
Does anyone know what stocks those are?  They don't look like the regular wire folding stock that was on the Romanian model 90.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I always ask them to tell me about their military experience  and training.
Then I ask them about how much military history books they have read.
Then I ask if they give advice on neuro surgery.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
That assumes “the establishment” holds all the jets and tanks.  What side do they figure the Texas Military Department is going to side with?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had that conversation before.  I think the best response is to ask why every military in the world bothers with small arms if they don't work against tanks, and whether they're aware that anyone that paid attention in college chemistry can make all the explosives they need, if the time comes to that.

ETA, pictures from the Romanian revolution are pretty good too. Lots of small arms, virtually no RPGs/MANPADs, etc.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/AN2988/24-12-1989-bucharest-romania-the-romanian-revolution-with-the-army-AN2988.jpg
View Quote
Also Budapest in '56. Old women and kids soaped up the streets and as the tanks spun out of control, other folks dropped Molotov cocktails on them.

Guns in the hands of free citizens PREVENTS civil wars because the gov't is more careful and takes them into account.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]
"Then you shouldn't worry about me owning one."
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn beat to the sticky bomb...

I can tell you if i was ordered to take a tank or aircraft and drop ordinance on us civilians i would likely defect with said tank or aircraft and assist them supposing they weren't seriously bad civilians.

If the military decided to deploy such weapons on a group like va 113 that act alone would pretty much guarantee victory for a group like that acting righteously as it would wholly legitimize their cause.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
If we were to ever reach a point where the government and the military were using its own armor and aircraft against its citizens - on domestic soil - then the gun-owning citizenry would become an insurgency. Motivated insurgents have been very successful in defending their home turf against opposition forces regardless of either side's level of armament.

In addition, while it might be unpleasant to talk about, the fact that those who would be driving the tanks or piloting the aircraft would also be nearby along with their families would certainly change the battle landscape. If you think someone who destroys a home or business, to include civilian casualties, with armor or aircraft is somehow immune from retribution in kind by whatever means available, I don't really know what to tell you.

Personally I think this discussion is a topic suited for fiction novels rather than reality, and I pray it stays that way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Next time someone brings up that argument, just say that the 2nd Amendment includes RPGs for that very reason!

Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I always ask them to tell me about their military experience  and training.
Then I ask them about how much military history books they have read.
Then I ask if they give advice on neuro surgery.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That assumes “the establishment” holds all the jets and tanks.  What side do they figure the Texas Military Department is going to side with?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If my time in Texas is had taught me anything it’s that the answer is....well....Texas.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can't fight tanks and aircraft with ARs.  But they can't hold the territory and that means boots on the ground.

BTW, have we not learned about IEDs from the Mohammedens?
View Quote
I learned about ieds from the us military. You can freely download the improvised arms and explosive tm
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Tell her you agree. We should have the right as individuals to own tanks and military aircraft.
"Will you sign my petition"?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm always amazed at how many Arfcommers talk this crap with people they know are idiots.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Its really not worth the argument or protentional red flag

Those people have their minds made up just the same as we do
View Quote
This right here.  While fun to speculate about in trusted company, no way I'd discuss a hypothetical insurgency against the US government with any of my coworkers, much less a liberal one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't worry about tanks.  I'll be patroling the streets in my AT-ST

Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which is why sometime in the future, things are going to turn out poorly for one of the two sides.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've heard this crap multiple times in recent years and it drives me absolutely crazy.

Had a co-worker (liberal as hell) tell me this exact thing the other day at work - "gun owners think they can defeat anything with a rifle - how effective is that rifle going to be against tanks and aircraft?"

I reminded her of all the insurgencies throughout history where poor farmers with only small arms kept major military powers on their toes for years and years.

I told her, "the last time I checked, the Taliban doesn't have tanks or aircraft either - they wear rags, have little to no transportation, and still (with only small arms) - they haven't been defeated or given up."

She had no response to that and walked away.

Anyone else encounter this bullshit logic from the left?
View Quote
They all have families and people they care about. Same goes with the person who casts the vote to have you stripped of your rights and killed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
This right here. For the longest time I felt it was my moral imperative to try to convince those retards in the errors of their ways and occasionally I still do if I get the sense that the person I’m talking to is somewhat rational and open to the truth but by and large I just walk away knowing that my mind is made up and theirs is also. between the two of us I know who’s going to be standing at the end of the day, and that’s all that I got to say about that...
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gonna have to go with this. I think most people perceive a straight up civil war against a tyrannical govt that's literally putting people in ovens.

No one will ever defeat our military toe to toe, especially a bunch of fat arfcommere on their scooters.
For me, if that day ever does come, I'll die in a pile.of brass, or get burnt out or shelled out from 50 miles away, but I won't be going to a reeducation camp, or getting on a railcar.
It's happened before, it can happen again.

Our arms are a check against these kinda of things. Do any of us really want to fight our own govt? Of course not! I'd rather be flying the American flag and be proud of what it stands for.
But, it's happened before, it's happened a lot
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's my lowly police officer's point of view of things.

The reason we are able to do the job we do is because 99.9% of the population isn't ready to shoot us on sight.  It's still fairly safe out there.  What happens if you wind up with, oh, let's say a modest 10% who suddenly develops a taste for violence against the State.  I'll tell you what would happen, we'd quit going out on calls.  The government would cease to function.  And shit would burn.  My point is we rely on the public's cooperation to keep society more or less on an even keel.  And we do that driving a normal car and carrying weapons probably not as nice as what the average Arfcommer would deride as "poor".

I love it when a leftist tries to be brave while hiding behind the police.  We ain't got time for that shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]
"The tank crew or gunship crew can't live in their vehicles forever"
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]
There is so much that could be said . Let them have their little convoluted intellectual victories.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Thats why I have depleted uranium rounds, duh.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
YES.
I point out that the military won't be called out on civilians and if it does roll out it will be on our side.
(I hope)
View Quote
Here's a John Mark video discussing that very subject:

Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#43]
“Welcome to the rice fields, Motherfucker?”

Also, they have the mentality of a cuck slave.

I hate to use the word cuck but I don’t know how else to describe their weakness and total abdication of their desire and duty to be free.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#44]
So, did you fuck her or what?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tell that to the Taliban I guess they did not get the memo......
View Quote
And the VC
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Those misguided and cowardly people and their families will be the first to die.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#47]
You don't need to destroy the tank to win the battle. You can ambush the fuel depot, or engage the driver/commander of the tank from 600+ yards from a dense tree line.

The left is very found of big government and assumes that when the boogaloo starts the soliders and LE will be on the side of the government and the liberals. They forget that statistically military and LE lean to the right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"The Gov has nukes your guns are worthless?"

Dude I live 4 blocks from you. You really haven't thought about this have you?
View Quote
I always enjoyed that one, and laughing at the idiots who utter it.
I guess they just think that radiation, fallout and blast radius will only affect the evil gun owners, not the "good" snowflakes.

Stupidity knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#50]
“That doesn’t make it OK to ban them.”
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top