Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The Brabham sucker car!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://findclassicars.com/uploads/carphotos/1978-indy-pace-car-edition-with-believed-to-be-35k-original-miles-1.JPG

this thing was sexy as hell when it came out... when I was a little kid we used to have a local Chevy dealer that had a corner show window with a rotating floor(think lazy susan)... every year they'd debut the new corvette on that thing... they'd have the curtains drawn for a week or two before the reveal... was so exciting to drive buy and check out the new Vette in the window..

http://www.kwecars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/V12-Le-Mans-edition.png

there were many of these rolling back in the day too... I thought they were pretty cool when I was a kid.. having a V-12 made it automatically cool..
View Quote
Had an aunt who had one of those Jaguars. Pretty sure she put two of her mechanics children through college with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It could always be worse. I went to high school and got my license at a time when early to mid 80’s cars were what fill the chill parking lots. You know how to make late 70’s auto tech even worse? Slap early 80’s computer tech on it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The First Sgt in my Army Reserve unit had one of those (fuck you, Sgt Losey). One weekend our reserve center was being used concurrently by three different companies so our unit had to go to the old ASA Garrison on 6 mile in Detroit. We met in Southfield and drove down in our personal vehicles. Sgt Losey drew four M16A1’s from the arms room, stopped at Kmart on the way down, and bought four boxes of 5.56 from the sporting goods counter. When we got to the garrison he gave four of us the rifles and a magazine of ammunition each, and put us in the parking lot in four hour shifts of two each with instructions to “Watch my fucking car!”. I owned a Mini-14 and on Sunday evening he gave me the 80 rounds to take home. Even so, fuck you, Sgt Losey.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Not good years
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
That's not a LeMans that's a Can-Am!!!!!!!!!! Want!

@Kornbread
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not good years
View Quote
True they were the worst Years yet in the best of ways!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's not a LeMans that's a Can-Am!!!!!!!!!! Want!

@Kornbread
View Quote
Well...Technically it is a Lemans Sport Coupe ....Can-Am package.... Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention and knew their cars. My wife,(a dental hygienist) has been making bets with patients of hers that are car enthusiasts. When she tells them I've been working on a Can Am they say, "like the motorcycle?" And then proceed to argue with her that there is no such thing as a Can Am car. She's actually had a few of them call her or apologize and admit they were wrong at their next appointment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well...Technically it is a Lemans Sport Coupe ....Can-Am package.... Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention and knew their cars. My wife,(a dental hygienist) has been making bets with patients of hers that are car enthusiasts. When she tells them I've been working on a Can Am they say, "like the motorcycle?" And then proceed to argue with her that there is no such thing as a Can Am car. She's actually had a few of them call her or apologize and admit they were wrong at their next appointment.
View Quote
I'm a old Pontiac nut so I recognized it immediately, my favorite car is a 77 Grand Prix

@Kornbread
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a soft spot for the shitty cars of the mid 70s into the 80s. I think it’s just nostalgia because those were the cars I’d see a lot of growing up in the 90s.
Platform wise they were just as capable or even more so as the cars from the 60s, the engines just sucked, and they rotted quickly because thinner sheet metal was used to save weight.

Had the oil crisis not happened and EPA not come down on manufacturers 70s and 80s cars would be looked upon differently I think.  In fact I think the shittyness of late 70s cars elevated cars from the 60s into being better then what they really were.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw this one yesterdayAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Choke yourself; I refrained from posting a pic of a Hornet in the first car thread and you went and did this!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Funny story, when Ford introduced the Pinto in Brazil it flopped.  "Pinto" is portuguese slang for "small penis".

Kind of fitting name for that car.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I took my 1st drivers test in a 1978 Dodge Aspen coupe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLqcxuZWcAAeSRE.jpg

Funny story, when Ford introduced the Pinto in Brazil it flopped.  "Pinto" is portuguese slang for "small penis".

Kind of fitting name for that car.
View Quote
This is a thread about cars. Not floppy penises
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not good years
Well, there were some amazing cars made from a performance perspective from 1970-74.  After that it was pretty bleak.  Styling sucked in general, but the F-body cars (Camaro, Firebird) hung in there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, there were some amazing cars made from a performance perspective from 1970-74.  After that it was pretty bleak.  Styling sucked in general, but the F-body cars (Camaro, Firebird) hung in there.
View Quote
But muh right angles!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My High School car looked pretty much like this. Had a LOT of fun in that car

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60078/cordoba_full-639863.JPG
View Quote
I was at an estate auction last summer that had a black cordoba about that nice had 77K on it and a glove box full of service receipts from the local dealer here

I bid it to $3250 figured throw some nice wheels on it and drive it around as a toy
it went for $4500 , still not sure if I missed out or dodged a bullet
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I always had a thing for the Lotus Esprit

Attachment Attached File

This one is a 1979 John Player limited edition.

(Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious)
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Strange time for cars for sure.  Not pretty.

Late 60's has some sweet rides. My second car was Bucket seat , center console La'mans convertible. (sic).  I think I gave all of $950 bucks for it used in 1969. Wish I had that car now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Back in 1986 my grandad wanted to give me this for my 18th birthday, 5000 Miles on it:
Attachment Attached File

Instead, my dad bought me this, 1980 Chrysler with 40,000 miles. Absolutely falling apart. Nothing but trouble, absolute piece of shit.

Attachment Attached File

I called it the Batmobile. My shithead brother got the Maverick and within two years it was absolutely trashed, windshield fucked, roof fucked from a rollover, front end all jacked, looked like it had been in a demolition derby.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I drove one of these until about 2004.  Nice vinyl roof.  It was a 301 not a 350.  1979 Buick LeSabre 4-door.  Very plush inside.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/images/0015/49/59/15559495_large.jpg
View Quote
In 1989 a little old lady pulled out in front of me while driving one of those.

I T-boned her at about 40mph while driving a mighty Subaru Justy.

My Subaru looked like it had hit a bridge abutment at highway speed, and I had to be extricated from the car.

She was able to drive her car home
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#25]
The absolute worst era for quality, damn near rivaling the build quality of a Yugo. Door and deck lid gaps on everything were whacked straight out of the factory. I don't think it was possible to line that shit up, hell you can see it in these pics. The shit would practically rust in the showroom. The drunks building them would leave bottles in the body panels as if the shit didn't rattle enough already. Pretty much no one gave a shit. Thinly reason people bought them is they couldn't bring themselves to buy an import.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm a old Pontiac nut so I recognized it immediately, my favorite car is a 77 Grand Prix

@Kornbread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Kornbread
@LittlePony

I had a 77 Pontiac Bonneville 2 door  black with red crush interior.  I think some came with a center console but mine had  a bench front.  400 cu Pontiac motor turbo 350 trans.

I really wish I had kept that car.

I took my drivers in  my mom's 4 door Bonneville.  I ended up selling my 2 door and picked up a 79 Grand Prix SJ with the 301 4 barrel, T Tops, bucket seats.  The 301 was so sad.  It always started and ran, but it didn't run fast, esp with a 4,000 lb curb weight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@LittlePony

I had a 77 Pontiac Bonneville 2 door  black with red crush interior.  I think some came with a center console but mine had  a bench front.  400 cu Pontiac motor turbo 350 trans.

I took my drivers in  my mom's 4 door Bonneville.  I ended up selling my 2 door and picked up a 79 Grand Prix SJ with the 301 4 barrel, T Tops, bucket seats.  The 301 was so sad.  It always started and ran, but it didn't run fast, esp with a 4,000 lb curb weight.  
View Quote
I wish I had a old pontiac
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@LittlePony

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Kornbread
@LittlePony

The 301 was a sad engine for sure, but those cars were lightened up compared to the earlier models. 3200 lbs maybe but definitely not 4k. The numerically low axle ratio was likely more to blame.

A lot of people would yank the 301 and install a 400 in it's place.  This is the way those cars should have been built to start, but sadly 400 production stopped the year before. So it ended up being more of a do-it-yourself option.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The 301 was a sad engine for sure, but those cars were lightened up compared to the earlier models. 3200 lbs maybe but definitely not 4k. The numerically low axle ratio was likely more to blame.

A lot of people would yank the 301 and install a 400 in it's place.  This is the way those cars should have been built to start, but sadly 400 production stopped the year before. So it ended up being more of a do-it-yourself option.
View Quote
Don't leave out the mighty turbo 301 Pontiac

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_301_Turbo
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#30]
A 77 Mustang II with a 2300 would make me happy, right now.  Please send, ASAP.  Hatchback preferred...those had a limited slip rear.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another poor attempt to fill the void left by the departure of the 400. I guess they just couldn't let the Olds diesels have all the warranty claims to themselves.

Honestly, if Pontiac wanted a smaller V8, they could have just gone back to putting the 326 in everything. It would have worked out so much better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Not mine but I had the exact car,  the interior was the same shade of green.  So ugly it was beautiful even more so because it was immaculate.
Traded a S&W 659 for it in 1993.  Beat the shit out of it for the next three years then it started fighting back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#33]

I drove a Red one for a few years.
Typical Chrysler shit and I was a Mopar fan back then.
(Not my pic)
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Kornbread
@LittlePony

Mine had T Tops so prob a little heavier, I am pretty sure the sticker said right around 4000 lb.  It was heavy and you are right, 2.73.. 2.71 rear, but hey it was limited slip LOL
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Another poor attempt to fill the void left by the departure of the 400. I guess they just couldn't let the Olds diesels have all the warranty claims to themselves.

Honestly, if Pontiac wanted a smaller V8, they could have just gone back to putting the 326 in everything. It would have worked out so much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say the 301 in my GP always started, always ran, I never really did anything to it, I remember a water pump, and a leaking front seal I changed the same time.

But there were so many things that were goofy on those things.  Intake for one, not dual plane like every other 4brl Pontiac.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Bench seats were awesome, your girl friend could sit right beside you and rub your crotch while you drove with your arm around her feeling her tit . I miss real ashtrays in cars to .

When I first started driving in 1980 all the cars I had (the first 10 or so) were from the 70's... 73' Plymouth Duster, 72 Duster, 74 duster,71 Dodge Demon, 70 Dodge Super Bee (hi-po 383, 4 speed Hurst pistol grip, hemi orange with black stripes)...I loved that car. '74 Plymouth Barracuda, another very cool car.

Not all the late 70's stuff was all that bad BTW. I also owned a '79 Chevy Caprice Classic 2 door (350ci) for a daily driver and the bench seat and big back seat was great for dating ;)

I also had a 77' Z28 (350) that I stripped all the smog crap off, installed headers, side pipes, an edelbrock carb, cam and intake and it ran good too.

My best though was a 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am 6.6 with only 9,000 original miles...still had the original tires it was so clean. Didn't have much HP, it did have torque being a big block and man could it smoke the back tires. I could lay rubber from light to light. I should have kept that one cause now it would be worth about 50-60K. I left it bone stock cause it was so mint.

I traded that for a 1973 L82 Corvette Stingray convertible. That car was just plain sexy, the girls loved it. This too was the last year for the rear split chrome bumpers on the vette, which I always liked.

Oh and I had a 77 Toyota Celica GT that I used for a winter beater...that was kinda neat too...I think it had the 22r motor with a 5 speed.

Thing is all these cars were cheap to buy in the 80's, easy to work on and we always stripped all the smog crap off them and re-tuned them for more HP, added headers and dual exhaust... doing so could bring the HP almost back to 60's levels if you knew what you were doing.

IMO I think most of the 80's cars were far worse as that got smaller, more smog crap and most went to FWD.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a 76 Grand Prix and a 78 Dodge Magnum.  The Dodge was the nicer of the two but still under powered and heavy.  Interior trim sucked along with the engine performance.  Big heavy doors that sagged and slopped out door bushings.  Replace countless transmissions in the 76.  Nope Nope Nope Nope.....

I do wish I had my 74 Chevy C10 back.  The smog shit and all the vacuum lines would be in the garbage at the end of the first day.  The Summit website and my credit card would be hurting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why is there such a damn romanticism about shit cars of the 70’s and 80’s. All the big 3 were shit, all of them. Get behind the wheel of a Fairlane, Monte Carlo, K-Car, whatever and it drove like shit. The 80’s is where Japanese car took over and never looked back; look at a Camry or Accord in the mid 80’s vs the Taurus, Malibu or Lancer. No fucking comparison. Little lone sports cars.

For the record, my first car was a ‘73 Mercury Comet which was dreadful. The ONLY saving grace of that car was it’s (thirsty) 302 v8 and even so, a 4 banger from one of the Japanese, little lone BMW/Porsche and the like (granted flat 6’s,) would spank it. Just fucking no....
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The absolute worst era for quality, damn near rivaling the build quality of a Yugo. Door and deck lid gaps on everything were whacked straight out of the factory. I don't think it was possible to line that shit up, hell you can see it in these pics. The shit would practically rust in the showroom. The drunks building them would leave bottles in the body panels as if the shit didn't rattle enough already. Pretty much no one gave a shit. Thinly reason people bought them is they couldn't bring themselves to buy an import.
View Quote
It comes down to nostalgia from another era. The same could be said for 1930's-50's cars...comparing them to modern cars is missing the point.

Sort of like guns or WWII era guns, you could say the Garand is to heavy bulky, small capacity, lacks ergonomics, not enough buttons, etc compared to a new AR. Same with Enfields and K98's... But we still love them and the time they were from.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I miss having this one. I had the bucket seats. not the bench shown in the ad. And my 360 was heavily modified, with an aluminum racing manifold and all the goodies. Definitely oueperformed the stock motor.
https://i1.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1976-dodge-charger-daytona.jpg
View Quote
Friend of mine in high school had one of these as his first car. I remember his parents bought it for him and told him he was getting a Dodge Charger. We were waiting at his house and his Dad pulls up in that turd, same color blue and even had the moon roof. What a let down that was. I remember he tried to tear that car up but it refused to die.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It comes down to nostalgia from another era. The same could be said for 1930's-50's cars...comparing them to modern cars is missing the point.

Sort of like guns or WWII era guns, you could say the Garand is to heavy bulky, small capacity, lacks ergonomics, not enough buttons, etc compared to a new AR. Same with Enfields and K98's... But we still love them and the time they were from.
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Indeed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed
At least the Enfields and Garands were solid platforms. Cars from that time frame - not so much
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Anything after 73 came with those gawdawful barbell bumpers on them and therefore with some exceptions, most are just fugly.

That being said, I would love to have a TR-6 with a Honda engine in it.

ETA: A '74-77 Bronco would be tits.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Back in 1990 when I was 19, I had a '79 Z28 that looked just like this.

355 with a Holley 650, high rise intake.  Headers with glass packs bolted straight to them.  

I beat the shit out of that poor car.

I bought this 4? years ago. 1976 Stingray. It was primered out and the interior was shot. 355 4 speed

Sold it this spring.

Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
At least the Enfields and Garands were solid platforms. Cars from that time frame - not so much
View Quote
You'd be surprised, their bones were strong but everything else attached to it was a mess

@dbd870
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You'd be surprised, their bones were strong but everything else attached to it was a mess

@dbd870
View Quote
Yeah I wasn't implying they had bad frames; just that the rifles were decent but the cars weren't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#48]
My first car was a 76 Malibu Laguna.

It was criminally gutless even with the 350 or 400 or whatever it had, because it was saddled with the emissions garbage.   Finding aftermarket parts for it was difficult because it was just different enough from the Malibu for nothing to fit quite right.

Still, it looked pretty cool, had neato swivel bucket seats and enough style to endear it to a 17-year-old heart.    I kind of wish I could get it back but properly resto-modded.   Not my photo but same color:

Attachment Attached File

I ended up swapping it for a 78 Nova sedan which was a lot cleaner and drove about the same.  That was a pretty decent car by the Big 3 standards of the time, despite being kind of a budget option.

Not my photo but same ugly color.  I eventually had it repainted a dark teal which looked a million percent better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#49]
These Fiat X19's were pretty cool:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
These Fiat X19's were pretty cool:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/fiat_x19-642959.JPG
View Quote
The mechanical fuel injected ones weren't too bad actually, the electrical system on the other hand...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top