Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Fast growing tall evergreen trees are your best bet.  I've got annoying neighbors and even with my trees I'm gonna throw up a fence this weekend to keep their dogs from shitting all over my yard. I will get out of the suburbs one day...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
On your side of the line, one row of blackberry plants. Then, a row of multiflower rose, those will stop a charging rinocerous. Then, a dense row of arbor vitae for visual screening.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Move to the country then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move to the country then.
View Quote
Yeah. For a place that's pretty anti-social, a lot of y'all live in subdivisions and other urban areas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Their land, their rules.

What is a 70ft. lot?  Is that about 1/64 of an acre?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah. For a place that's pretty anti-social, a lot of y'all live in subdivisions and other urban areas.
View Quote
If I look at houses for sale in my county, more than 87% are in subdivisions. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
lmao at people who are offended at neighbor lots that build out

You don't want them to build next to you?  Buy the land next to you.   Simple as that.

I have a decent size lot, but I'm totally aware that the lot next to me is slated for a future development.... guess what?  I have the opportunity to buy out that land and prevent it... but it's not worth it for me... and guess what? You're not going to see me make a bitch post about it either.

OP is worried for nothing.  Unless if it's an attraction based playground, it's hardly going to see much use.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is more than one county in GA.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Their land, their rules.

What is a 70ft. lot?  Is that about 1/64 of an acre?
View Quote
not always if there are DEED RESTRICTIONS or Zoning from the original approval by the city for green space.....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Place that in your neighbors yard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is there a parking area for the playground?
View Quote
If its like all the other playground areas, that parking area will be the strip in front of my house.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I normally don't jump on the "it's for the children" bandwagon, but would you rather your neighborhood kids sit around and turn into electronic zombies or worse, commit crimes instead of having a place to play?

Sounds really stupid to try to fight a playground because "muh privacy."
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
lol

Be happy it's not high density low income housing.  Or a dog park.  Yet.

eta Or a basketball court.  Or a water district utility yard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP sounds like the type or person who would buy a house next to an airport, then sue due to the noise.
View Quote

Or the people who would build a subdivision next to an asphalt plant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in the day they put in a kiosk that would have established a pay to park area on our beach.
Nobody wanted it but our protest fell upon deaf ears.

They put it in anyway.
2 days later it was in the harbor.
They put in another one.
One day later it was in the harbor.
This went on for a couple more times.

They finally gave up and went away.

This was a long time ago and they still fear to put one up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I normally don't jump on the "it's for the children" bandwagon, but would you rather your neighborhood kids sit around and turn into electronic zombies or worse, commit crimes instead of having a place to play?

Sounds really stupid to try to fight a playground because "muh privacy."
View Quote
The neighbors in this area are constantly outside visiting/watching as kids play, run around, ride bikes, throw balls, etc. This park will add nothing to their or our enjoyment and instead will make the area more dangerous due to increased vehicle traffic as well as less visibility on the street due to cars parked up and down both sides.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
That leaves 13% to choose from, which is still likely to be a far higher number than "one", which is the number of houses most people are looking to buy.

I had that conversation with my housemonger when we were looking.  "Your qualifications are very exact and are really greatly reducing the number of houses I have to show you."

"I'm not looking for a bunch of houses, I'm looking for one.  The house I buy will have those qualifications."  And it did.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, as i read this my real estate agent is txting me with homes in the Frisco ISD.

Is this happening in Mckinney or Frisco area?

If you like IM me with some details.

A couple of home we have viewed are near or abutting green space.

However I think most are owned by the HOA. The few that appear not to be (gas or water lines) have privacy fencing on both sides of the greenspace.

Personally,  I have passed on any home where a greenspace or walking path is at the back of my home. Privacy fence or wrought iron. Nice view and all. I see it as a security issue. Too easy for passersby to jump into my yard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

BETTER IDEA

Plant a shitton of fast growing bamboo. The playground will quite literally be a jungle gym in no time.
View Quote
Until some innocent kid gets impaled by bamboo shoots.

Nice idea.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Check other counties lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If its like all the other playground areas, that parking area will be the strip in front of my house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a parking area for the playground?
What are the rules on street parking?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Why do you hate kids OP?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am missing something.  If the property is owned by the water district, what relevance is the subdivision master plan?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Find out who has a copy of the subdivisions master plan.
It should give you the answer if it was always a plan build.
City and developers should have copies.
I am missing something.  If the property is owned by the water district, what relevance is the subdivision master plan?
The developers may have transferred the land with restrictions. My city will not permit developments unless certain community areas are "Donated " for common spaces.  These donations are for a specific use on what can and can't be built on it.

The OP suspects monkey business, if the master plan shows a built out playground someone lied to him.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
You don't own the land. Move where you own the land or deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#27]
For the win.

I would take this as a friendly warning from the neighborhood.

I would heed it as one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
we had a lawyer friend suggest this. I may try to convince the neighbor to put it in his yard, but if it comes down to it I'll probably bite the bullet and post up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
we had a lawyer friend suggest this. I may try to convince the neighbor to put it in his yard, but if it comes down to it I'll probably bite the bullet and post up
NO! Post it at the park. One at each end.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The neighbors in this area are constantly outside visiting/watching as kids play, run around, ride bikes, throw balls, etc. This park will add nothing to their or our enjoyment and instead will make the area more dangerous due to increased vehicle traffic as well as less visibility on the street due to cars parked up and down both sides.
View Quote

But yet you bought in a subdivision with kids, expecting it to be like the country, and are now butthurt that kids and families are doing what kids and families do.

This has to be a troll thread. "Add nothing to their enjoyment?" Um, how about a safe place where they don't have to worry about hitting windows with balls, ride their bikes without having to get hit by cars, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#30]
dbl tap
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Dress up like a clown and stab a few of them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So the wife and I moved into our current home about 3 years ago. We picked the lot as their was greenbelt on the side and behind where we'd only have 1 direct neighbor.  

The water district owns the land and has basically told us all individually to screw off after we've voiced our concerns and complaints.
View Quote
What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So the wife and I moved into our current home about 3 years ago. We picked the lot as their was greenbelt on the side and behind where we'd only have 1 direct neighbor.  Its been fantastic, we have a nice private feel in the back yard without a bunch of noise.  Keep in mind when we started this process we specifically inquired about any intended use for the greenbelt on the side and were told it would remain undeveloped and if anything it may eventually contain a footpath back to the walking trails (but no playground).

Skip forward to this week and a MASSIVE playground structure is being erected, despite anger from ALL of the immediately surrounding neighbors (of the 4 houses most impacted there are 11 children).  The concern is not only that this playground will bring additional foot and car traffic through what was previously a very very quite section at the back of the neighborhood, but also the noise it will generate, the loss of privacy in the back yard areas (which we and our neighbors paid a premium for).  One neighbor has this thing 20 ft from his property and it will be able to look directly into the windows of their kitchen, bedroom and office as well as full view of their yard (no privacy at all).   There are several other green areas designated as "parks" that would have been a better fit for this thing without negatively impacting the surrounding neighbors.   I think there's some shenanigans going on with how this spot was selected, but even at the meetings the discussion fell on deaf ears.  The water district owns the land and has basically told us all individually to screw off after we've voiced our concerns and complaints.

In Texas and wondering what you all recommend to decrease usage and make this thing unattractive to the neighborhood.  I'm thinking standing in my yard with an AK slung across my back and pistol on hip while staring menacingly at everyone over there in between breaks of frantically pacing around my yard would work to some degree but I can't always be out there.

I've had grandiose thoughts of destruction and vandalism but want to explore options that keep me on the right side of the law.
View Quote

If you are in Houston you are screwed because of zero zoning.
Cheer up though as it could be worse event such as a fast food joint or section 8 four decker apartment complex.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the wife and I moved into our current home about 3 years ago. We picked the lot as their was greenbelt on the side and behind where we'd only have 1 direct neighbor.  

The water district owns the land and has basically told us all individually to screw off after we've voiced our concerns and complaints.
What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?
Green space without structures.

It usually is grass and trees and sometimes a water feature of some sort.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You do realize that the vast majority of the users of this park will be your neighbors and their kids?  You might get some outside traffic but this really doesn't sound like such a bad thing. I would share your privacy concerns, so that's where the privacy trees/fencing come in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?
The city has to pipe in the water. So there is a big pipe under ground that no one can build over.

Looks funny in a developed area because there are houses everywhere except where this pipe lays.

It looks like a ski run through a neighborhood. Houses and fenced yards on each side with a 100 foot wide strip of grass between.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#37]
We bought a house for the greenspace around it.  Nice prairie grass wild area.  Only now one of the far neighbors decided to claim it as his lawn and now mows it right up to my yard.  Confronted him on it and he doesn't seem to think he's doing anything wrong.  Feels he's entitled to 'claim' that land since 'nobody else claimed it'.

I was a snitch and dropped a dime to the city.  They acknowledge that people shouldn't be doing that, yet on the other hand implied they got bigger things on their plate to worry about.

Seems I live in a neighborhood of expansionists as he ain't the only one.  One guy built a fence a foot onto his neighbor's property.  Another took the initiative of doing some landscaping mulch beds around his neighbor's trees.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
hahahahahaha

the good old "I don't want you parking on the street in front of my house!" guy
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Good grief. 

The OP didn't move next to an airport, gun range, asphalt plant, etc, etc, and now wants it closed.  He moved next to a empty green belt, was told it would stay a green belt, and now they're building on it and he is unhappy.  See the difference?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP sounds like the type or person who would buy a house next to an airport, then sue due to the noise.
View Quote
...and the planes trespassing when they fly over.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good grief. 

The OP didn't move next to an airport, gun range, asphalt plant, etc, etc, and now wants it closed.  He moved next to a empty green belt, was told it would stay a green belt, and now they're building on it and he is unhappy.  See the difference?  
View Quote
Yeah no kidding. Even paid a premium for the property because of what he was told by the developer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We bought a house for the greenspace around it.  Nice prairie grass wild area.  Only now one of the far neighbors decided to claim it as his lawn and now mows it right up to my yard.  Confronted him on it and he doesn't seem to think he's doing anything wrong.  Feels he's entitled to 'claim' that land since 'nobody else claimed it'.

I was a snitch and dropped a dime to the city.  They acknowledge that people shouldn't be doing that, yet on the other hand implied they got bigger things on their plate to worry about.

Seems I live in a neighborhood of expansionists as he ain't the only one.  One guy built a fence a foot onto his neighbor's property.  Another took the initiative of doing some landscaping mulch beds around his neighbor's trees.
View Quote
Be a shame if some rocks got tossed out into the field...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#43]
"I moved next to an undeveloped lot and now it's developed! Waaaaahhhhh!"
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Shit happens.

There's a strip of houses down the road from me, that are across the street from a very nice golf course. For decades those houses have had a beautiful view of the course.

The course fell on hard times and sold off the strip of land parallel with the road, and they built horrendous townhomes facing the road.

Now all those people with the beautiful view and property values all stare into gaping garages and watch their values plummet.
View Quote

I know of a subdivision that as it was being built out, they would sell all the lots before starting the next phase.  There was a HUGE pond with a nice fountain feature in it.  I'm sure the lots abutting the water sold for a premium.  Well as soon as they were all sold, the developer would start filling in the pond and build a new mass of lots that had a beautiful view.  I don't know exactly how many times this took place, but I bet there were a lot of pissed off people.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So you want to tell other people what to do on land that is owned by someone else?

Should have bought that land if you wanted it to stay empty.

This fucking place man....

Also, post pics of the playground
View Quote
Agreed ...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The city has to pipe in the water. So there is a big pipe under ground that no one can build over.

Looks funny in a developed area because there are houses everywhere except where this pipe lays.

It looks like a ski run through a neighborhood. Houses and fenced yards on each side with a 100 foot wide strip of grass between.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a greenbelt?

What's a water district?

Also used for flood control.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Good grief. 

View Quote

With real-estate transactions if it wasn't in writing then it didn't happen.  What you are "told" is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Put some endangered turtle there and call the EPA.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
... Its been fantastic, we have a nice private feel in the back yard without a bunch of noise....  
View Quote

Who are you feeling in the back yard?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh, the horror. A playground.

How will you ever cope?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top