Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Your "friend" needs to be very very careful. Now is the time to stop. Anxiety will soon be the cause of drinking and not the symptom.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had my share over the years but at my age (67) it's insane to drink like that. I cooked steaks tonight and had one drink with dinner. That's enough for me as I don't like sleeping poorly or ingesting to much sugar. I'm a puss I guess.
View Quote

you are a real bad ass to post this. how did you find the courage?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was that really necessary?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Liver is going to give up sooner rather than later
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
My grandad lived to 90 and smoked from age 11 and drank whiskey from age 12. He didnt stop either until he was 85 and had to have heart surgery. A pack of smokes and a bottle of Old Crow, every single day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
10-15 drinks a night?
No wonder the OP can't remember how old he is.
View Quote

Somehow, I KNEW you would show up.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They will eventually drink themselves into true physical dependence.
View Quote

eventually?? 10 drinks in 5 hours puts them at somewhere around .30 BAC I think, somewhere around 3.5 times the legal limit. WELL past "sober" and WELL into ouch my liver area. PLUS that level for that long, their liver is likely going through some issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#8]
12-20 per night? Jeezus.

Here I sit self-worrying about 5-6 per week....
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Two months you will be past it, just don’t tell yourself just one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Dunno.. My grandfather did this for ~60+ years and died at 84.. No regerts on his part it would seem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, they haven’t yet hit true dependence if they don’t start until 6pm. It eventually consumes you until you’re drinking all day just to keep your hand steady. It gets way worse.
View Quote

My first thought is that person is one life event away from there. Broken bone, unforeseen gap in employment, etc. the hardcore dependence might not yet be there but the tolerance is with the daily amount consumed.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Ah yes, it's call being a functional alcoholic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it really alcoholism if you arent physically or mentally dependent but you just like being buzzed and develop a ridiculous tolerance over time? I drank like that for a year after me and my ex wife split, then stopped cold turkey one day. I drink now but it isnt like that. I go through periods of wanting to drink daily so I do, then when I don't feel like drinking I stop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d guess they already have.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone that has to drink every day is an alcoholic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You’re not seeing the ones who drink that and don’t have a medical issue bringing them in.  Lemmy from Motorhead claims to have drank a bottle of Jack a day since he was 30.  He lived to 70.  Anecdotal and maybe an exaggeration but people do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 handles of whiskey a week is pretty pro-level drinking. I’ve had patients who drink more, but they don’t live a long time.

Beyond the damage from chronic heavy drinking, that amount can also kill someone through DTs. It should have medically supervised detox, IMO.

You’re not seeing the ones who drink that and don’t have a medical issue bringing them in.  Lemmy from Motorhead claims to have drank a bottle of Jack a day since he was 30.  He lived to 70.  Anecdotal and maybe an exaggeration but people do it.

At 65 Gerard Depardieu stated he drank 14 bottles of wine a day. He had multiple bypass surgeries. Dude is 71 years old and still acting
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Liver failure. Esophageal varicese. Ascites. Fatty brain. With the grace of god, death before getting placed in a nursing home.

Sounds like a severely alcohol dependent pt. Life is gonna suck and keep sucking.
View Quote

Yes, but there is one plus.  

Some coroner remarked that the arteries of alcoholics are usually extremely free of any plaque.  
So he doesn't have to worry about clogged arteries.   ;-)
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At 65 Gerard Depardieu stated he drank 14 bottles of wine a day. He had multiple bypass surgeries. Dude is 71 years old and still acting
View Quote

Quoted:

Some coroner remarked that the arteries of alcoholics are usually extremely free of any plaque.  
View Quote
Multiple bypass or free and clear?

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#19]
You blow through that 400k inheritance yet or crash that Corvette?

You still haven’t told me how you time travel back and forth. Are you back to being 27 now?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not saying it’s me. Assume this person this been doing it for the last ten years.

Other than a recent spike in anxiety, what are they in for? Sober every afternoon. Process starts around 6pm and lasts until 10-11. Productive during the day and everything seems normal.

It’s shots of whiskey
View Quote

You have to talk to someone.

Alcohol and unresolved depression will bury you at some point.  

Eat some gummies and go for a walk.

Life is monotony, love it, live it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude must be half bladder to drink that much or else be constantly pissing like a fountain.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dude must be half bladder to drink that much or else be constantly pissing like a fountain.

View Quote
Valid point
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is it really alcoholism if you arent physically or mentally dependent but you just like being buzzed and develop a ridiculous tolerance over time? I drank like that for a year after me and my ex wife split, then stopped cold turkey one day. I drink now but it isnt like that. I go through periods of wanting to drink daily so I do, then when I don't feel like drinking I stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean. I feel like alcoholic is one of the words they've changed the meaning of.

Some say you can only drink once a week and still be considered an alcoholic, depending on how much you drink in that one night.

I tend to agree though. I see addiction as a physical dependency, everything else is a bad habit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
stevejg1 "look at me" thread
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what happened here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Multiple free and clear.

Went from this

to this

ETA "half bladder" might actually apply
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

That's the issue.

I'll never unseen it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's the issue.

I'll never unseen it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

That's the issue.

I'll never unseen it.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Childhood friends dad Frank a 12 of bud. Every night.  More on the weekend's. He did work every day,  but he died last yr at like 62. RIP...
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What am I missing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

That's the issue.

I'll never unseen it.

What am I missing?

He needs his hormones checked and to talk to a therapist.  Apparently his threads are outright looking for "counseling ".  Or for a friend.  Issue being they seem to span back awhile, so either he really needs help or just relishes the misery.

I'm dealing with a friend that needs to go to a doctor.  OP should do the same.  Unless hes a troll, then, whatever.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Cirrhosis of the liver, and maybe a stroke or two by 60.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a slow process of mental and physical decline.  Anxiety can be a symptom or it could be the reason they drink.

From the outside it can be really hard to notice. You just assume the cognitive dysfunction is from being tipsy or drunk. But when they are sober you'll start noticing really bad decision making, long pauses while they struggle to think, off the wall responses, talking to themselves, etc.  You'll see a once very capable person so some of the strangest things, but you gotta take watch for it at first.

They'll probably get multiple DWIs as well.  Lots of perfume/cologne is normally worn to try to hide the smell too. Gum and breath mints are common as well.

Physically, muscle loss and aging will be the first thing that's noticeable after the organ damage starts getting bad.

I'm watching a cousin go through this and his wife is really suffering because of it. His daughter is young but probably can tell something isn't right.  It'll destroy her if he continues to drink himself to death like his mom did.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had one tell me the other day that he didn't drink much. Just "4-5 beers a night".

So you know the real number is 6-10
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll know they are functional when you get pulled over while they are driving and next thing you know the cop is doing a soberiety test before slapping cuffs on.

That's how I found out a friend of mine was an alcoholic. I had no idea. If he hadn't been speeding he wouldn't have gotten pulled over. He was driving just fine. Guess the cop saw his record and was looking for it though.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My step brothers father started drinking heavily once the grandmother died.  He was drinking a 30 pack of bud and a gallon of Seagram's each day.   He drank himself to death in two years flat.
View Quote
Dude...that's upwards of 4 gallons of fluid every day. A gallon of fluid intake in an hour can cause hyponatremia.

He's lucky to have lasted that long.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

eventually?? 10 drinks in 5 hours puts them at somewhere around .30 BAC I think, somewhere around 3.5 times the legal limit. WELL past "sober" and WELL into ouch my liver area. PLUS that level for that long, their liver is likely going through some issues.
View Quote

10 standard drinks over 5 hours won’t get you close to to a .30...heck you burn off about .015 an hour while you’re drinking. 2 standard drinks an hour is pretty slow paced, and won’t get you THAT drunk for quite some time.

You have to REALLY be trying to get to .30.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
People with that volume of alcohol intake usually see the onset of diabetes before they see cirrhosis. Alcohol gets processed into sugar if I'm not mistaken.

An old Doctor buddy of mine once told me that every 2 or 3 beers (or shots) is like eating a snickers bar...both in empty calories and sugar intake. I told him, 'they's more old drunks than they is old doctors, so pass me that flask, Doc!'  
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Guy I worked with did this.

He started drinking heavy in his 40s.

He is in his 50s now.

He's living with complete liver failure.

He's sober now at least.

He'll be lucky to live another 5 years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Childhood friends dad Frank a 12 of bud. Every night.  More on the weekend's. He did work every day,  but he died last yr at like 62. RIP...
View Quote
I'd bet that ~20% of Americans drink 12 beers a night - more nights than not.

Alcohol is the opium of the masses.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]
My old boss was a bottle of Old Smuggler a day.    Afternoons he was shakey until he got home.

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

My uncle did this to himself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have to. I choose to.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My dad probably drank that much when retired.  A couple of glasses of wine with lunch, then a couple of drinks in the afternoon, a few glasses of wine with dinner, and then drinks in the evening.  

He also ran almost every day.  Never had any problems with his heart, liver, diabetes, strokes, or any of the other things that some of the puritans worry about.  

The idea that you are guaranteed to have serious health problems if you drink every day is hysterical nonsense.  Heck, lots of workplaces in Europe serve alcohol at company cafeterias during lunch, and it's completely accepted to have a drink or two during lunch at work.  Wine with dinner is an extremely common thing in lots of European countries, as well, so a completely normal life could easily involve two to three drinks a day.  You know, a lot of those countries where people are healthier than in the U.S.

Cancer killed my dad at 75.  He had three different types of cancer in his life, and we all knew that was what would kill him.  His liver was fine.  His alcohol consumption did not appear to affect his health in any way.
View Quote
Some people have the genetics for heavy drinking.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Other than not starting before noon and only 10-15 drinks i see nothing wrong here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Liver is going to give up sooner rather than later
View Quote

Havent you watched the news? Corona will kill us before the liver even has a sniffle
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Ask Ric Flair how that worked out for him........
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Man this thread is a bummer to read on a Friday!  LOL
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I drink 5-6 beers a day. I know I shouldn't..but that's the truth.
View Quote
Same here, except its Jameson and coke for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Winston Churchill started drinking when he woke up, scotch and soda.  He kept drinking scotch and soda until lunch, when he switched to champagne.  He drank claret and soda until dinner, at which he would drink another bottle of champagne, then port, then brandy until the wee hours.  By some estimates, he drank 42,000 bottles of Pol Roger champagne over his lifetime.  He also smoked somewhere around 10 cigars a day.  

He lived to be 91 and accomplished more in his life than most in the world will ever come close to.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top