Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

3.5 ecoboost turbos (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Moot point now. Wife went to look at it and it's already sold.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/515317/IMG_4599_jpeg-3351701.JPG

2015 3.5 Ecoboost. This was my truck at 70k miles, fuel pump.

It has 129k miles now and has been bulletproof. I change the oil at 5k miles or less and baby the shit out of it.  I do love the truck though.
View Quote

There is a local guy that has one of fords ecoturd fvckus car with the DCT disaster stuck up on top of a 5 foot high stump in his front yard with a big sign proclaiming it to be a Ford POS in big ol' letters. Been up there a couple of years so ford must have really pissed him off.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Wife wants to look at a 2017 Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost in it. 110k miles. What is the life of the turbos on these? 150k? 200k? I know next to nothing about these engines.
View Quote

I ran  my 2013 F-150 from new to 193k miles with no issues. 5k mile oil changes with full synthetic and motorcraft filters. I had no cam phaser noise either.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bjkb1f:

Don't tell me that.

View Quote
A lot of turbos get changed that don't need to be.
Turbos are a bit down the list of things to worry about with any newer vehicle.

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By turningfast:

Drill a hole in the intercooler?
View Quote

The early years of the Eco boost had issues with water collecting in the intercooler from extended driving in moisture with little to no boost. Then when you stepped on the throttle it would suck that water into the engine and cause issues.  Some people drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the intercooler to keep  the water from building up.

Ford made some changes and you really don't hear about the problem anymore. I think by 2015 it was corrected.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a 17.. now have an 18.. 18 has DI and port injection = good, but also cam phasor issues (bad) unless already repaired under warranty.

Tons of power and torque
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The cam phasers will fail multiple times, long before the turbos ever give you issues…ask me how I know…
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torque556] [#8]
Here's my timely thread for you to read.  At least one turbo was starting to scream on cold starts.  Along with exhaust leaks at the manifold.  2012 F150 with 175k.  The noises started around 150k.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Update-Page-2-To-repair-or-replace-my-truck-/5-2749934/
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Three 3.5EBs, zero cam phaser replacements…
View Quote

I didn’t HAVE to replace the three sets on my one 3.5 eco, but I got tired of listening to Schnitzel under the hood…
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
15-17 expedition and Navi are very solid trucks. They have the gen 1 eco, gen 2 started in 2018 for the suv. My wife has 170k on her 2017. Oil change intervals are a thing on these engines. She abuses it with short cold runs. Oil is toast at 5k, analysis verified. Timing started making noise at 155k, not bad, dealer said it was fine, but had it gone through regardless. Now we go shorter oil change intervals.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You will probably be digging into the 10r80 for a CDF drum well before you will be touching turbos.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheAlmightyYak:

I didn’t HAVE to replace the three sets on my one 3.5 eco, but I got tired of listening to Schnitzel under the hood…
https://media.tenor.com/kEz6dsCgLgEAAAAM/chowder-cartoon-network.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheAlmightyYak:
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Three 3.5EBs, zero cam phaser replacements…

https://media.tenor.com/kEz6dsCgLgEAAAAM/chowder-cartoon-network.gif

Mine never made a peep.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a 2003 EB EXpedition 5.4 2v, 2wd, no sunroof that I put Ford reman engine in at 226K, 3 years back. Put new cats on last fall, new Mich LTX last fall, recovered the front seats after I put the engine in, put new struts in this spring, recovered the leather on the 05 steering wheel this spring and put in a set of new original Ford headlights.  No reason to get rid of it.  So, I did what any sensible person with 26 years Ford parts experience would do, and go against the advice I had given over the years, and checked every "don't do" box you could think of.

Lincoln
Navigator
black ext
black int
3.5 ecoboost
4wd
power running boards
sunroof
continually dampening suspension
auto adjust suspension
adaptive headlights
power fold mirrors

Bu bu but, Mr. Zoom, sir? Why would you do that?

I'd been looking around at 15-17 Expeditions for about a year. Thinking I wanted something newer.  Yeah, yeah, 3.5 timing set issues, ecoboost turbo issues, etc.  Kinda waiting for prices to come down from the covid over-inflation pricing. Wanted to basically find a newer equivalent to my 03, with fewer bells and whistles.  Prices were still mid 20's. 7 or 8 months back, found a 16 down near Dallas for 19-ish and was ready to make the trip, but got typical dealer non-help from the one-horse town Ford dealer and it sold before I could even look at it. Before and since, I had driven 5 or 6 of them that were trade-ins where I work, most ended up going wholesale.  But started to get a feel for how they ran, etc., with how it was cared for being a major factor. I had backed off a bit on looking and how serious I was, as I was not having any luck finding another perfect unit like my 03 or the one that was near Dallas.

I noticed a black 16 Navi (non-extended length) in our trade-in pool.  Didn't think much about it.  It was black.  And a Navigator. No times 2, so it wasn't a player in my book. But after it sat in the same spot for 3 weeks (used service work was behind) I decided to at least drive it to compare engine/trans/mileage against all the others I'd driven, just to have another set of data to analyze. Power running boards were inop. Strike 3!  Black interior, ungh.  Sunroof, of course. 4wd of course.  22" wheels which I was actually wanting on whatever Expedition I was maybe going to buy. I just like the muscle look.  This Navigator had brand new tires.  That's $1k-$1.5K right there.  Nice. It fired right up, had cold air, and....103k miles. Hmmmm.  Seats were more comfortable than all the Expeditions I'd driven. The hood doesn't have the bulge in it that the Expeditions have, and that cause me a weird glare off the back end of it, that I was already planning on having flat blacked out on anything i would buy. I test drove it for a couple days. Had the power running boards working before the end of day one. Lubed up all the pivot points and gave each one a gently push up when closing the door, and both have worked perfectly ever since.  Had a front wheel bearing going out, and once I verified it was a wheek bearing and not a diff or transfer case, I bought it.  $14k.  Wasn't going to find any Expedition with that kind of miles for that kind of money anywhere, so I figured it was silly to pass it up.  One turbo coolant fitting has had a small coolant leak at some point, as there was coolant residue on it. But is not currently leaking.  We will see when winter hits if it becomes an issue.  

The power is addictive.  The small number of cupholders and lack of cubby space is unforgivable in a vehicle this size. The current idiosyncrasies an quirks of this vehicle that had a $71k sticker when new is unconscionable. I'd have made Ford buy it back had I bought it new. The overall quality is not the same as my 03 Expedition. But I'm getting 2 mpg better (and not 4 better like the dash telemetry indicates) than the 03, and it has the THX power up sound effect at my fingertips.  So, I guess I have that going for me.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve done a few turbos on these. What I’ve noticed is that a lot of them belong to owners that don’t change the oil.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ErikOR] [#17]
I had a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It made it all the way to 70k miles before the cam phaser problem appeared. I was advised by the dealer and a private mechanic that I would probably have to replace the engine.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My 22 3.5L has been rock solid so far, its tuned and has a nice CVF Titan 2 intercooler on it so far
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Wife wants to look at a 2017 Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5 ecoboost in it. 110k miles. What is the life of the turbos on these? 150k? 200k? I know next to nothing about these engines.
View Quote

Common to hear stories about 300k mi on these things.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
there arent very many turbo failures. the 1st gens had some timing chain issues and lots of exhaust manifold issues with regards to warping and the rear studs breaking off. they still put that engine into transits.

the second gen ones have lots of phasers issues by comparison but its hard for me to gauge because we only ever see a car in the shop if its having a problem.

either way the turbos arent really the concern.
View Quote

But turbo coolant fittings are. That was not a fun weekend pulling the turbos to replace all the coolant lines and jiffy tite fittings. Manifolds weren't fun either. Saved myself a lot of headache and did it all at the same time. I like this motor a lot but i wouldnt get another one just cause i really dont want to do that job again.

Next up is replacing the leaking valve cover. Yippee
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]
My 2015 has been trouble free. I have 140k on it. Keep the oil clean use a good filter and don’t drive it like a stock car.
Link Posted: Today 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a 21 with ~90k miles on it. Full synthetic, oem filter, and new air filter every 10k miles.  Cam phasers shit the bed and it sounded like a vitamix chopping gravel. Awesome motor as far as power and mpgs.  I traded it for a ho powerstroke. I would own another 3.5 but not one out of warranty.
Link Posted: Today 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#24]
My 2016 only has 56k on it. Fingers crossed
Link Posted: Today 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

I followed those mechanics I posted links to above pretty hard when I owned my truck and they both complained about turbo issues. Leaking lines (mine had it) and replacement turbos were common at repair shops.  

Change your oil often with a good synthetic.
View Quote

Wish I knew about the turbo oil filters existence and to change them when I had the turbos off!
Link Posted: Today 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
You will probably be digging into the 10r80 for a CDF drum well before you will be touching turbos.
View Quote

Not this generation. These have 6R80.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
3.5 ecoboost turbos (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top