BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's different to be from a place and leave it vs. moving to another place. I understand that you'd miss it if you're from here.

I'm not from Michigan, have no connection to the place, and had no reason of my own to move here. I regret it, and I want to leave. We're here because my wife's family is here, and honestly - that was a bit oversold.  

I lost all my handguns in a tragic boating accident on the way to Michigan.

That's in my area. Let me know when you come up, and we'll go have a beer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss it kinda, had a nice house and property between Manistee and TC. The job market sucked and the State went full retard during Covid. I still have my boat there with the parents for when I visit.

Me leaving MI:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20201011_174346073_HDR_2-2759512.jpg

It's different to be from a place and leave it vs. moving to another place. I understand that you'd miss it if you're from here.

I'm not from Michigan, have no connection to the place, and had no reason of my own to move here. I regret it, and I want to leave. We're here because my wife's family is here, and honestly - that was a bit oversold.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man y’all are making me excited to move to Michigan.

Sounds like it’s a party.

No one should be excited to move to Michigan.

Where are you going?

At least I don't have to register my handguns with the state.

North west of the big D about 45 minutes.  

Staying an Ohio resident. Just got moved to be the general manager of our entire Michigan operation for 3-5 years. So temporarily relocating.

Boating accidents... tragic to live on a lake with a boat... so many things get lost.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Huh, terrible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yooper wearing camo?  That should narrow it down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
There are some neat clear lakes in Michigan, that's it. They hold up fingers on their 'snowmachine eh' so they can veer into your half of the trail instead of holding onto the handlebar of their 8000 mile 25 yr old greasy triple after downing 24 PBRs, which isn't surprising since in the summer they run their toon boat 50 ft from swimmers on the lake and generally take 30 minutes to launch at the ramp between one hitters, though if me and the wife had the combined weight of all of the 4 horsemen in WWF, I'd be driving a Ford F250 too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The UP is heavy meth country, and lots of drunks/alcoholism as well. Kinda like Northern Wisconsin.  What's there to do when there's 5 feet of snow on the ground from November to May.  Drink.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm from Maine originally, 20 years in the Navy moved me all over. My parents live in Brethren, I built my "Retirement" home there, 10 acres butted up to the National Forrest. Unfortunately just as we finished construction in 2010/11 the economy tanked there. The Marina job I had been offered dried up when nobody was putting their boats in the water. The County Code Inspector thanked us for building there as he was going to get laid off until we showed up .

I ended out in WY during the oil boom in '12 and never left. I miss the boating and snowmobiling, my dad spends all summer on the big lake chasing salmon but the job market in the area still sucks and with Gretchen and crew running the state I just don't see Michigan changing direction anytime soon. I cashed out during the covid housing craze (I apologize to the Brethren residents for the property tax increase )
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The UP is heavy meth country, and lots of drunks/alcoholism as well. Kinda like Northern Wisconsin.  What's there to do when there's 5 feet of snow on the ground from November to May.  Drink.
View Quote

Wisconsin is famous for having the most bars per capita, but if the UP was its own state, it would make Wisconsin look like amateurs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can’t understand why the UP is still part of freaking Michigan.
View Quote

Because Toledo is still part of Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what?

That war was a mistake.  You can have south Detroit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Staying an Ohio resident. Just got moved to be the general manager of our entire Michigan operation for 3-5 years. So temporarily relocating.
View Quote

So ... Flint area?

Welcome.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Relax, it's just a practice run for mostly peaceful protestors who represent an ideology that is in no way an organized terrorist group.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
they got him, shootout, he was a florida man
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
they got him, there was a shootout, he was a florida man
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So ... Flint area?

Welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So ... Flint area?

Welcome.

Clarkston / Oxford / Lake Orion area.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unless the mobile meth units destroyed one of his meth labs. I know Meth is a huge problem in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

That definitely take some fucking balls to do.
View Quote

Maybe he was just trying to cut some hair, or maybe fish, during the Covid lockdowns.
The MSP used to be very highly regarded here. I even used to respect them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Good, I'll have a coke.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish it were the 58th or whatever number of states FBO says we have.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In AZ, a person meets lots of people that used to live in Michigan.  There is a mysterious common denominator.
View Quote

Copper mining.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
A suspect has been arrested.  Link left cold

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/09/police-take-suspect-into-custody-who-allegedly-set-msp-vehicles-on-fire.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

UPPER PENINSULA SUBSTANCE ENFORCEMENT TEAM (UPSET)

The Upper Peninsula Substance Enforcement Team (UPSET) is a multi-jurisdictional narcotics task force that serves all fifteen counties of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  UPSET's foremost objectives are to bring narcotics awareness, education, and enforcement into the communities of the Upper Peninsula.

UPSET readily collaborates and works with local, state, and federal agencies in an effort to combat narcotic use, distribution and sale across the Upper Peninsula.

Methamphetamine Response:

UPSET is the only federally trained and certified Clandestine Lab Team (Meth Team) in the Upper Peninsula.

https://upsetdrugs.com/
View Quote
So is it fair to say that the UPSET team is upset by this incident?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Peaceful protest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Judging by the image clarity, I would say the pictured suspect is Bigfoot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I've lived in MI my whole life, never been to the U.P. .
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude.  Get up there.  It's awesome.  Marquette is a beautiful town.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless the mobile meth units destroyed one of his meth labs. I know Meth is a huge problem in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems rather out-of-character for a Yooper don't ja know.

Meth is not a problem.

Not have meth? Problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a recent transplant, and whenever I tell a native I don't like this state, I often hear some variation of "Have you been up north?!" as though it's some wonderland.

I asked around, and no one can tell me what's there that's so wonderful besides wilderness. I've browsed Google maps, and all I see are trees and more shitty little towns (sooo... not much different than the LP that I've seen). Many Michiganders are enthralled by this particular patch of sparsely-populated wilderness and refuse to acknowledge that their trees aren't much different than the ten billion trees I've seen everywhere else.

I'm not an outdoorsy person, so no amount of trees, lakes, or rocks makes a place seem appealing to me. I'm sure I'll end up there eventually. I will try to keep an open mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not an outdoorsy person, so no amount of trees, lakes, or rocks makes a place seem appealing to me. I'm sure I'll end up there eventually. I will try to keep an open mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the UP probably isn’t for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, the UP probably isn’t for you.
View Quote

Probably not. For what driving is required, I'm much more interested in visiting Toronto. However, the wife is a small-town girl who gets nervous driving on multi-lane roads, so I'm more likely to see the UP than anything else here. Mackinac Island looks like it might be worth a visit, but I doubt it's worth ~9 hours of driving to see.

I recognize that Michigan is a pretty decent place for an outdoorsy person (a cold & damp tolerant one, at least).
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Florida man has been charged, link left cold

"SAULT STE. MARIE, MI -- A 39-year-old Florida man was arraigned on multiple felony charges Monday, after he allegedly set multiple Michigan State Police vehicles on fire and shot at them with a rifle. According to the MSP, James Itani was arraigned in 91st District Court on charges of one count of terrorism, one count of third-degree arson, 11 counts of assault with intent to murder and multiple counts of weapons violations.

A search for Itani began shortly after several vehicles at the MSP Sault Ste. Marie post were set on fire around 3:30 a.m. on Sept. 6. The day after the fires were discovered, police eventually tracked Itani to a property on Riverside Road. As they attempted to search the property, Itani allegedly opened fire on officers, who returned fire of their own.

Itani was injured in the shootout and was listed in critical condition as of last week, but has recovered enough to be charged in the case. He is currently lodged at the Chippewa County Jail and bond was set at $5 million.

No officers were injured in the fire or the shootout with Itani. One officer involved in the shooting was placed on administrative leave while an investigation is conducted."

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/09/florida-man-charged-with-terrorism-intent-to-murder-after-setting-msp-vehicles-on-fire.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
In 1980, MSP lost a car in Detroit during the Republican convention. Never recovered.

The radio tuned to MSP and Detroit (DPD) frequencies. Always suspected it was put to use by the takers (likely the drug gangs,) to further their criminal enterprise.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because Michigan is still WAAAYYY better than Wisconsin. You guys should just merge with Minnesota.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#32]
He was triggered by those gay ass red lights on the top…
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"SAULT STE. MARIE, MI -- A 39-year-old Florida man was arraigned on multiple felony charges Monday, after he allegedly set multiple Michigan State Police vehicles on fire and shot at them with a rifle. According to the MSP, James Itani was arraigned in 91st District Court on charges of one count of terrorism, one count of third-degree arson, 11 counts of assault with intent to murder and multiple counts of weapons violations.

A search for Itani began shortly after several vehicles at the MSP Sault Ste. Marie post were set on fire around 3:30 a.m. on Sept. 6. The day after the fires were discovered, police eventually tracked Itani to a property on Riverside Road. As they attempted to search the property, Itani allegedly opened fire on officers, who returned fire of their own.

Itani was injured in the shootout and was listed in critical condition as of last week, but has recovered enough to be charged in the case. He is currently lodged at the Chippewa County Jail and bond was set at $5 million.

No officers were injured in the fire or the shootout with Itani. One officer involved in the shooting was placed on administrative leave while an investigation is conducted."

https://www.mlive.com/news/2023/09/florida-man-charged-with-terrorism-intent-to-murder-after-setting-msp-vehicles-on-fire.html
View Quote

Attempted murder of a cruiser?
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you mean the red lights on the roof? There are no sirens in those pictures.
View Quote

Lol, I’ve shitposted before, lol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there was 4 or so , fucked them up pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Likely Canadians.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I went to LSSU for a while in 98.  One of the guys in my dorm was from the Western UP.  Crystall Falls.  He was basically a drug dealer and said " I can get you any shit you want when I go home this weekend."  I didn't ask for anything in the first place so I remember finding it odd that he offered that info.  98 was a long time ago and the last time I was in the yoop for any length of time so I can't comment on how bad it's gotten since.  Lots of bored kids with nothing much to do and not much of a future to throw away in a lot of areas.
View Quote

I was at LSSU in 98.  

Roughly 1/3 of the students are townies, 1/3 are from elsewhere (I had two roommates from L.A. my freshman year, oddly), and 1/3 are from Soo Canada, so I wouldn't say their future is any more hopeless than anyone else's.  The number of fat girls doens't help, obviously.  It's has big criminal justice, fire science and engineering programs with good job placement.  *shrugs*
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm sure they know who the dude is.  And I'm certain an MSP post has higher res cameras than those photos.

The "cherry®" is a MSP trademark.  Almost literally.  Nowadays they're LED strobes, not the rotary/mirror type.  Every marked MSP unit has them.
View Quote

Along with the sharkfin.  I like the gumball and sharkfin, as well as their signature blue color vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
How is the state police’s relationship with the current governor?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Attempted Murder charges resulted from Florida man shooting at MSP officers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Seems rather out-of-character for a Yooper don't ja know.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. I mean they have a guy called the Yooper Do Gooder who hands out hot dogs and helps people.

I'm not a fan of the Midwest but if I had to live there it would be my first choice. The people are outstanding, the weather, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marquette is extremely liberal. I don't care for the place.

I greatly prefer Keweenaw county. Still leans a little blue but at least there is barely anyone there. I miss Keweenaw county that's about it for Michigan. I grew up in Houghton county.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#45]
That sounds like some serious methbilly shit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#46]
This article includes his middle name and picture.

https://www.miningjournal.net/news/front-page-news/2023/09/msp-post-arson-suspect-faces-multiple-charges/

SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich.–The suspect involved in the arson and subsequent shooting at the Sault Ste. Marie State Police Post on Sept. 6-7 has been arraigned in the 91st District Court in Sault Ste. Marie. James Kamal Itani, a 39-year-old male from Orlando, Florida was charged with several felony charges including one count of terrorism, one count of third-degree arson, 11 counts of assault with intent to murder, and multiple counts of weapons violations. Itani was arraigned on Monday. Itani was allegedly driving a silver-colored Honda CRV at about 3:30 a.m. on Sept.6. He is accused of pulling into the driveway of the MSP Sault Ste. Marie Post, pouring gasoline on several patrol vehicles and lighting them on fire.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top