Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Having a cdl,I have to admit, DG hires some good drivers witnessing some of those locations they have to back in to
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now they have the self checkout machine they usually have 2 people working the whole place with one just jumping back and forth to the front.  Fuck all that for just over minimum wage.
View Quote

There's a Dollar Tree about a mile from my home in a small strip mall. The managers are good - middle aged white men. Professional and polite and keep the store pretty well stocked and shelves properly faced. Their employees are well... pathetic. One I think is a neanderthal. Having said that, they are polite, just slow to move, lazy unless ridden (bless those managers), and not very knowledgeable as to where to find things in a store that is seriously smaller than my firm's suite of offices. In any event, you can find some decent deals there... well at least you could in the past.

Then Biden turned the Dollar Tree into a the Buck Twenyfive... and then they unveiled their "premium" items that sell for $3, $4, and $5. Then last week I noticed the 1.25 liter bottles of soda were now listed as $1.75 and the Gatorade was $2.50 and they had Starbucks drinks in the cooler for $4. Any and all pretense that this was a dollar store is now gone, and they are still busy. You'd think they might be able to pay a little better now and get some employees worth a damn.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

GD at its best .
If it doesn’t affect me then fuck all y’all .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have literally never set foot in one and I never plan to.
Doesn't affect me.

GD at its best .
If it doesn’t affect me then fuck all y’all .

That's not the dumb part of that post. The dumb part is when people stop by just to say "If it doesn’t affect me then fuck all y’all but it's still a great use of everybody's time for me to post how this doesn't affect me."
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Never been to one and never will.

So I don;t care,
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Cant you just drive less than 10 blocks in any direction and find another one?  

Dollar stores seem to be more prevalent than McDonalds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have literally never set foot in one and I never plan to.

Doesn't affect me.

View Quote

I have many times and I find them quite handy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the world of staffing shortages. It will get worse. Figure out how to keep people, even the suboptimal ones, or limit your business growth. AI/automation will only help with that on the margins.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#10]
In alot small towns, the Dollar General is only store in town.  My town is a great example.   DG and Kwick Trip gas station is only place to buy groceries in town.   Neighboring town has a small grocery store, otherwise 40 minute drive to  a large one.

I worked at the Corporate Headquarters about 15 years ago in Hendersonville TN.  It is actually a really nice place to work,  but I would not want to work at a store.  They work those guys to death as stated earlier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]
When you are traveling, those dollar stores have everything you need.  There are a good place to stop and buy stuff.  I have always been amazed how many frozen food things they have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]
They have automated checkouts here
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My sister worked at one for a second job last year. She was 1 of 3 employees in that store. By her 3rd day she was by herself.

It paid like crap, but she could make her own hours and it was super flexible in when she could work which is what she needed. She didn't mind the job though.
View Quote

Retail can be dangerous for a woman working alone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quit your complaining. There will be a new Spanish speaking crew hired shortly at half those wages. They will have free access to bit coin atm’s in the store to send money back home.

Joe saw this coming and he has your back.

His lesson in economics will keep people frozen in place because cheap labor is just waiting to take their place.
View Quote

The Walmart near me is getting all their low wage clerks from India now.

“Hello my name Seetheram, I for you am now please to be helping!”
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Garbage stores.  People shop there because they think it's cheap but they are usually paying the highest per-unit price.
View Quote

Yes but their target demographic lacks the intellectual capacity to even understand that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#16]
All the local dollar stores are going strong.  I stopped by one last weekend for some outdoor Easter decorations.  I was surprised at how cheap the merchandise was.  Charmin Ultra Strong TP for 2/3 the price at WM or Publix.  Canned goods, other paper products, soda were also cheaper than at WM or Publix.  I would not buy a T Bone steak there, but Campbell's soup is Campbell's soup no matter the store you buy it from.  None had passed their expiration dates, I checked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
lol

There’s probably fifty of them within thirty miles of my house…… their prices are good but some of them are managed poorly. One near my old house had so much inventory going out the back door they fired the entire crew and charged a couple of them with theft.
View Quote

Same in my AO and everyone is run a little different. Some are very well run (read less stock clogging up the aisles) some seem to have a lot of riff-raff wandering around in them. To be completely honest I shop at them simply for the fact that they carry what I happen to be looking for, Folgers instant coffee in the little foil tubes for one. It's all a matter of knowing what they carry the alternative being a 25 mile trip to the nearest Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I bet 75% of their business is EBT.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We stopped by a DG once when we were on vacation to pick up some pool floats. Employee is standing outside the front door (around noon) and tells me “we closed. Nuh uh we closed”

At noon on a Tuesday? I reply

“Yeah we got robbed. Cops are on the way”

Guess we basically drove right past the getaway car as we pulled up because they had JUST left.

What a shithole
View Quote

How is a store a shit hole if it gets robbed?

High end stores get robbed as well.  Are those shit holes too?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Screw giving the employer 2 weeks.
View Quote

This, they wont give you two weeks if they fire/lay you off
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They have automated checkouts here
View Quote

Yep have two newly built less than a mile east and west of me, usually only one worker or two tops during busy times and only self check outs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Same here locally. Oddly enough they built a family dollar right next door now.

Local gas station where we have had a charge account for fuel for 30 years shut its doors last week. Best location in town in my opinion. Certainly will be in a few years when urban sprawl gets here. He brought our final fuel bill in Monday and I asked him why he shut it down and he said he was tired of dealing with employees. Based on who he's had working there I'd say he hasn't been paying them very well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our local DG has shut down randomly many times because of lack of staff.

Can't say I blame them. Seems like a terrible place to work.

Same here locally. Oddly enough they built a family dollar right next door now.

Local gas station where we have had a charge account for fuel for 30 years shut its doors last week. Best location in town in my opinion. Certainly will be in a few years when urban sprawl gets here. He brought our final fuel bill in Monday and I asked him why he shut it down and he said he was tired of dealing with employees. Based on who he's had working there I'd say he hasn't been paying them very well.

I know that not all managers and employers treat their employees bad and pay them crap wages at these types of jobs, but a lot do.  I'm always skeptical when owners and managers are complaining about their employees.  To them it is the employees fault that the business is failing.  They won't look in the mirror.  If your business model needs to pay sub par wages then the employees won't care.  I don't blame them either.  Some employers think that they have a right to a persons labor and time off the clock
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If a company offers shit wages and a shitty, unsafe working environment, I would hope they have trouble with staffing.  I would encourage everyone that works in DG stores to seek alternative employment, given my experience with the stores in my area.  Good decision by the workers, I'm glad they are out of that situation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I worked at a Dillards in the dock for a while as a second job.  I already had a "professional" job, but needed some extra income.

It was a surreal experience.

No one was really responsible for anything in their own mind.  Taking initiative for anything not explicitly assigned was never a thing.
View Quote

I worked big box retail for a few years.  Management made it hard for any employee to take initiative.  If you did try to and made the tiniest mistake you got yelled at and threatened with suspension or reduced hours.  Same thing applied if you did the job right but the current manager just didn't like it.  Employees learn quick to do the bare minimum and do exactly as management said to.  I know that people should take pride in their work, but those jobs will beat a person down
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I stopped in one near me the other day, looking for something my wife needed. They had a sign on the door, "Not accepting cash today, sorry for the inconvenience"

Me and another guy turned around instantly.

Found the item at a local drug store.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seen it here before recently. Small BFE store was being staffed by people from three surrounding stores on top of their shift there, lasted two weeks before they quit going.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
Local Dollar General store is always understaffed. Cashier stocks shelves and does everything else.
View Quote
We have two in my town. One on each side.

They chicks that run them always look like they have been on a 3 week meth bender with no sleep.
Sadly, it probably them just trying to keep the store up and running.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We have two in my town. One on each side.

They chicks that run them always look like they have been on a 3 week meth bender with no sleep.
Sadly, it probably them just trying to keep the store up and running.
View Quote

How do you think they can work 24/7
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

People talk about how poorly Walmart pays all the time.

DG pays less. It's part of how they keep prices down. They also have lots of DG only package sizes. Cheaper sticker price sure, but do the math and more expensive per ounce.

Great when you only need that item and the grocery store is 30 miles away, not so much for other situations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know you’re in a small town when the dollar store is the center
View Quote

Biggest business we have in my town is the bar. We also have a gas station and two churches. How's that for small?

I can walk the dog from city limits on one side to city limits on the other side in 10-20 minutes depending on how many treed he wants to stop, sniff and pee on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The one closest to me runs with one person working regularly. Not safe at all boxes stacked everywhere because they have no one to stock shelves.
View Quote

Same here at our local store.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm surprised they had six employees.

There's a new one close to me that seemed to only have one employee working the couple times I've stopped there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Say what you want about DG, but rural areas and ghetto areas rely on those type of stores to make it possible to live.

Unless or until something huge changes and we can magically return to the old days of mom n pop stores (unlikely), then a lot of people will rely on DG.

How Dollar Stores Quietly Consumed America
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One that I go to sometimes looks like hell.  Boxes scattered around, and disorganized.  I will say though that the employees I see in there, all one or two of them, are busting their ass. Looks to me that the store is way under staffed.   One or two people can only do so much in  a day.  No matter how hard they work and what corp thinks on person can do
View Quote

The Fire Marshal has closed the ones in my area several times due to the stock blocking aisles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top