BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3290
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3xpert:

I'll turn my cheek to your insulting comment that was born out of ignorance and alcohol.
View Quote

I'm just saying the bottom has fallen out of the market. Cost and worth are different. I liked everything I saw. No insult intended.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Never heard of it, why should I buy it?

But I stop at Kwik Trip every morning for coffee, I'll see if mine carries it.

Edit: That's a nice grill that you have there.
maybe now you can make a decent cheese burger.
View Quote

Fun new sausage. I cook up Conecuh pretty often for breakfast. Tasty stuff. Exciting Aldi appears to be carrying it. Otherwise I had to find the random sketch stores on the west side that "might" have it or have it shipped up.

Grill is nice. Doesn't change the operator.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WIC:

I'm just saying the bottom has fallen out of the market. Cost and worth are different. I liked everything I saw. No insult intended.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'll turn my cheek to your insulting comment that was born out of ignorance and alcohol.

No worries, just jokin!
But new, they add up to a little over 1K.

But tack on depreciation and adjust for inflation = ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#4]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Nice. I like it, other than the apparent lack of an hour hand

It is obviously going to be a strap monster, but the bracelet looks great and should stay in rotation. You might want to save the pins with the bracelet and use standard lug size ones for straps, or compare them really closely. For the big crown I was struggling like hell to put the 20mm back in with the bracelet when I acquired it, and it took some investigating to figure out they use 19mm with the bracelet. Being honest, that was after at least an hour of struggling with it and getting really frustrated and questioning my veracity - it is simply a physical impossibility to get the solid endlinks in with the 20mm pins even though it has 20mm lugs. Both ends have to be pushed in all the way past flush with the endlink at the same time and that can't happen because they bottom out first. The shorter ones are fine with the endlinks because they are trapped and can't wobble, but you need the correct size for a strap to prevent wear on the lug holes.

I won one yesterday that is inbound to the ebay authenticators. I give Willie only a 5% chance or less of guessing it this time though
View Quote

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of downsizing, I would have fought with it too.

If it has to pass before the authenticators, it must be nicer.

As for the hour hand, I had to go back and look at the picture. It is obscured in the picture, but the hour hand is a little different, doesn't really look like a proper hour hand to me. If I had one complaint, that would be it. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Otherwise I love the look. Afternoon was spent with my wife telling me too bad I don't look more like Tom Selleck and I should grow a mustache again
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of straps - this in today from Vietnam made by an Etsy seller. Had to be really deliberate to get away from Chinese stuff and jump off Amazon.

https://i.imgur.com/qjOxVEE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iyqvrJl.jpg

View Quote

interesting.

good looking knife
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Just don't look at the pump. Run it 'til the nozzle clicks off.

I use 93 in mine and couldn't tell you what the price per gallon was.
View Quote

That's what I have to do too. It is what it is. Have the truck for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]

No worries, just jokin!
But new, they add up to a little over 1K.

But tack on depreciation and adjust for inflation = ?
View Quote

Exactly. The expensive stuff is still expensive, but pretty much everything else is in the pits. I have no motivation to sell my low end stuff that I am not using. Maybe my kids can have fun reminiscing some day about all the bad decisions daddy made.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]

It is obviously going to be a strap monster, but the bracelet looks great and should stay in rotation. You might want to save the pins with the bracelet and use standard lug size ones for straps, or compare them really closely. For the big crown I was struggling like hell to put the 20mm back in with the bracelet when I acquired it, and it took some investigating to figure out they use 19mm with the bracelet. Being honest, that was after at least an hour of struggling with it and getting really frustrated and questioning my veracity - it is simply a physical impossibility to get the solid endlinks in with the 20mm pins even though it has 20mm lugs. Both ends have to be pushed in all the way past flush with the endlink at the same time and that can't happen because they bottom out first. The shorter ones are fine with the endlinds because they are trapped and can't wobble, but you need the correct size for a strap to prevent wear on the lug holes.

I won one yesterday that is inbound to the ebay authenticators. I give Willie only a 5% chance or less of guessing it this time though
View All Quotes
now I just need a Ferrari 308 and to die my mustache brown

https://i.imgur.com/etMd6k7.jpg

beautiful. I wonder how it will look on a strap, or if it should stay on the bracelet. I do like the bracelet

great lume

It is obviously going to be a strap monster, but the bracelet looks great and should stay in rotation. You might want to save the pins with the bracelet and use standard lug size ones for straps, or compare them really closely. For the big crown I was struggling like hell to put the 20mm back in with the bracelet when I acquired it, and it took some investigating to figure out they use 19mm with the bracelet. Being honest, that was after at least an hour of struggling with it and getting really frustrated and questioning my veracity - it is simply a physical impossibility to get the solid endlinks in with the 20mm pins even though it has 20mm lugs. Both ends have to be pushed in all the way past flush with the endlink at the same time and that can't happen because they bottom out first. The shorter ones are fine with the endlinds because they are trapped and can't wobble, but you need the correct size for a strap to prevent wear on the lug holes.

You're getting pretty diverse with your collection, so just a shot in the dark. If we are staying with 20mm bracelet divers, maybe a Sinn U50.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep.

Doesn't feel as bad when it only holds 16 galllons.
View All Quotes

$4.00 for Shell premium yesterday. Glad I don't have room for 30 gallons like that though
Yep.

Doesn't feel as bad when it only holds 16 galllons.

My truck holds 36. And I can only run premium. Even with the discount at Costco, it's still painful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I still feel it. My damn truck has a tiny tank and needs to be filled more often. And prefers premium.

I've been driving the Subi more. For other reasons, but still nice not having to fill it as often.

I used to just fill up on my way home Friday night. But when fuel went stupid during coof, it took more than $100 to fill my tank and I didn't feel like doing whole ID card/debit card shuffle just to get another $20-30 in. I stop twice a week, when I get down to about 5/8th of a tank.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

Ray skin?

View All Quotes

Speaking of straps - this in today from Vietnam made by an Etsy seller. Had to be really deliberate to get away from Chinese stuff and jump off Amazon.

Ray skin?

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Above & Beyond - Blue Monday (Official Visualiser) [@anjunabeats]

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]

I guess that makes sense since it has a nice light action and is easy to flip.

Perfect for your effeminate hands.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

I was surprised at how much I liked the Neon when I got to hold one.

[youtube]shorts/Hw0BRbUjMuo[/youtube]

Video of last time WIC and I had a slap competition.
Being a Gentleman, I let WIC go first...
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

View All Quotes

Guess I'll swing by Aldi when I go get the correct couch.

may the odds be ever in your favor

No joy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe this is WIC's issue (of many).

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Nice. I love my 452.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By conndcj:

Despite the naysayers, CT gun laws are pretty bad but less so for grandfathered things.  As of today,  machine guns, suppressors, SBRs, AOWs, DDs and SBSs are all legal.  I could buy a .50 cal Browning M2HB tomorrow.

Magazines are where you get fucked.  You can't buy anything more than 10rds since not too long after the Sandy Hook school massacre.  You could keep whatever you had but there were restrictions.  On your property, in your home or at a licensed range, you can load you mags to full capacity.  My CCW must be 10rds or less everywhere but those places.  Not a big deal for me because I've carried a custom Colt 1911 for years.  I'm switching to an HK45C as soon as it's finished.  They have 10rds max from the get go.
View All Quotes

I think I see an extra pin in one of those. How can that be ok but you can't have regular mags?

Despite the naysayers, CT gun laws are pretty bad but less so for grandfathered things.  As of today,  machine guns, suppressors, SBRs, AOWs, DDs and SBSs are all legal.  I could buy a .50 cal Browning M2HB tomorrow.

Magazines are where you get fucked.  You can't buy anything more than 10rds since not too long after the Sandy Hook school massacre.  You could keep whatever you had but there were restrictions.  On your property, in your home or at a licensed range, you can load you mags to full capacity.  My CCW must be 10rds or less everywhere but those places.  Not a big deal for me because I've carried a custom Colt 1911 for years.  I'm switching to an HK45C as soon as it's finished.  They have 10rds max from the get go.

I just want to say that I appreciate you letting borrow magazines to all your guns to try out in my guns.
And if you ever want them back, let me know.

I am NOT hinting at buying you brand new magazines under a ruse because that would violate state laws and be morally wrong.
And the chastisement I would receive from someone like WIC is more than I could probably bear…
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Obsessed with hand size
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Obsessed with hand size

He’s jealous of my mighty man sized mitts.

Kuraki has bigger hands, but he’s a God (of forging) so it’s not exactly a surprise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#21]
Originally Posted By WILSON:
A little embarrassed to ask, but,...

Does anybody know who manufactures this knife (no markings on it)? Is it some Chineezy company?  

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kywAAOSwyb1jY~VN/s-l1600.webp
View Quote

Looks like an ADV with a trump sticker on it.

If it's just the sticker you like, we can probably get you one.

ETA: While the knife is in the style of ADV, "stainless steel" written on the blade suggests cheap crap
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]

nice
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#23]

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Hw0BRbUjMuo

Video of last time WIC and I had a slap competition.
Being a Gentleman, I let WIC go first...
View Quote

for reelz? come on, what is that for a link?

ETA: Weird, it works in my quote, but not in the OG?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#24]

No joy.
View Quote

hmmmm...did you want me to send some via priority mail?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/3b7ed872f1251fe0b8aeceae5d8a458c_width-6-3274369.jpg
View Quote

just twice?  I do it all the way out to the grill. is that better or worse for my luck?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]

I just want to say that I appreciate you letting borrow magazines to all your guns to try out in my guns.
And if you ever want them back, let me know.

I am NOT hinting at buying you brand new magazines under a ruse because that would violate state laws and be morally wrong.
And the chastisement I would receive from someone like WIC is more than I could probably bear…
View Quote

just by mentioning me you have drawn the attention of my ATF agent, FBI agent, DHS agent, and CIA friend.

way to keep a low profile.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]

just twice?  I do it all the way out to the grill. is that better or worse for my luck?
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/3b7ed872f1251fe0b8aeceae5d8a458c_width-6-3274369.jpg

I think we all know the answer to that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#28]

I used to just fill up on my way home Friday night. But when fuel went stupid during coof, it took more than $100 to fill my tank and I didn't feel like doing whole ID card/debit card shuffle just to get another $20-30 in. I stop twice a week, when I get down to about 5/8th of a tank.
View All Quotes

My truck holds 36. And I can only run premium. Even with the discount at Costco, it's still painful.
I am "privileged" enough to have a company truck with a fuel card that gets me to and from home and work, so I normally fill up my vehicle on the weekend and usually make it to the next weekend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Made some Kurobuta pork porterhouse pork chops tonight.  Just over an inch thick and nearly a pound each.  Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Broiled at 550⁰.  Absolutely delicious.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#30]

hmmmm...did you want me to send some via priority mail?
View Quote

Nah it's not that big of a deal.

I got some knackwurst instead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Made some Kurobuta pork porterhouse pork chops tonight.  Just over an inch thick and nearly a pound each.  Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Broiled at 550⁰.  Absolutely delicious.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60239/1000002173-3274448.jpg
View Quote

Nice. I love a good pork chop, especially if the cook knows that pork doesn't have to be well done. (Growing up, no one seemed to know that so it was always tough and dry.)
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]

I am "privileged" enough to have a company truck with a fuel card that gets me to and from home and work, so I normally fill up my vehicle on the weekend and usually make it to the next weekend.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I don't get one of those.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Is that knife not steel?

The colors on the blade mess with me
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I do, I guess, in a way. Not that it makes any difference lol.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Nice. I love a good pork chop, especially if the cook knows that pork doesn't have to be well done. (Growing up, no one seemed to know that so it was always tough and dry.)
View All Quotes

That's blasphemous. ESPECIALLY, living in the pork capital.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Is that knife not steel?

View All Quotes

Is that knife not steel?

Just some flame coloring.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#37]

That's blasphemous. ESPECIALLY, living in the pork capital.
View Quote

I know, it's crazy. And most everyone still does it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Very cool, looks like good craftsmanship. Wonder though if the materials all still come from China.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Made some Kurobuta pork porterhouse pork chops tonight.  Just over an inch thick and nearly a pound each.  Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Broiled at 550 .  Absolutely delicious.

View Quote
I haven't had pork chops in a long time, and those are gonna make me remedy that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#40]

View All Quotes

It does come with the unfortunate side effect of being on call one week a month.

Used to be every other week, so I really can't complain...much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#41]
It does come with the unfortunate side effect of being on call one week a month.

View All Quotes

At my last job I was pretty much on call 24/7 and didn't get a truck. And I only got paid 1/3rd of what I make now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

did you share?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Nah it's not that big of a deal.

I got some knackwurst instead.
View Quote

I've got a flat rate envelope right here, just say the word.

I'd drop some off next time I am heading down to Texas, but crunching the numbers, you are just too far west. maybe on our way to Seattle or something.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

they only recently dropped the recommended minimum temp
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By williedikker72:

You're getting pretty diverse with your collection, so just a shot in the dark. If we are staying with 20mm bracelet divers, maybe a Sinn U50.
View Quote

my mind immediately went to a Sinn too, but no, too sensible. Possibly a Ball, but that probably doesn't need an authenticator.  I'm guessing a Tudor or Omega.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Is that knife not steel?

Correct.  That is 3V blade steel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#47]

did you share?
View All Quotes

did you share?

Absolutely.   I always do.  I made six of them.  I made a command decision and decided to have two.  And I'd do it again.

It is quite safe to eat pinkish center pork.  It tastes so much better than totally cooked through like many people insist upon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#48]
The razor saga continues...

I shaved with the Gillette Mach 5 last week and it was fine. Clean shave and very close. It does well.Served its purpose so I didn't show up to the RNC with my face all cut up.

But I do not like the cost of the blades, occasional ingrown hairs and the whole safety razor thing intrigues me. And I couldn't return the Feather blades even though the package was unopened.

So where does that leave me.

The Futur was OK. certain things I liked, certain things I didn't. The 34c was similar, things I liked, things I didn't. The Viking Emperor seemed to be a good combination, but it is the one that sliced me, and China. 

Before I went any further I figured I needed to assess some key things I think I need for this to work.

It needs to have a slim head to have the best chance of doing a clean shave under the nose.It needs to be easy to open the top to replace blades.It needs to have texture to the handle.It needs to have either a scalloped or mild open comb on one side of the head.I like the idea of adjustable comb, nice, but not necessary.

Assessing the ones used so far:

Merkur 34C:
Head seemed a bit thick, harder to use under the nose.
Have to unscrew the handle, take the whole thing apart to replace a blade. Too much work.
Good texture to the handle and the comb.No adjustments. 

Honestly, it was a great starter razor, I can see why it is so popular. But if I can get the same starter quality on an adjustable with a slimmer head, why not. Plus, I hate the idea of the work involved to swap those silly little blades out for as frequently as it apparently needs to be done.

Viking Emperor:
Relatively thin head.
Butterfly opening for quick easy blade changes.
Good texture to the handle and comb.Adjustments. 

Even though it cut me, even though it is made in China, hit each of the categories if I can use it without destroying my face again. I mean, it wasn't the fault of the razor, it was just me being stupid.

Merkur Futur:
Head wasn't bad, leaning thicker.
Head pops off for easy blade changes, but I could see myself dropping that separate piece.
No texture to the handle or the comb.
Adjustable.

It was OK, just not grabbing me though. I was debating going back to the 34c, but then started thinking about all the above. So many of the good options are multiple piece razors. blech.

So I poked around online. Few articles were saying the old Gillettes from the 50s and 60s with the butterfly opening are where it is at. But looking at what they cost and the condition they are in, it made me reassess the options out there new.

Picked up a couple others to try that are more like a disposable in form, but looking at the double edge safety razor options, the Emperor ticks all the boxes so it deserved another try.

And then I was thinking, really there is no issue trimming under the nose if I grow a mustache, that is where Tom Selleck entered the storyline, the watch and the mustache.

Wife revised her commentary of saying why don't you look more like Tom Selleck to be, why don't you look more like Burt Reynolds.

Not sure what to take away from that, other than that I don't look remotely like either of them
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
now I just need a Ferrari 308 and to die my mustache brown

https://i.imgur.com/etMd6k7.jpg

beautiful. I wonder how it will look on a strap, or if it should stay on the bracelet. I do like the bracelet

great lume

That was the goal originally - good call but no. I found a still stickered and unworn one of something I've wanted much longer at a used level price that put it in the same ballpark as a new un-tegimented U50. Quite a bit more conventional and different actually, but often the one people would be cross shopping.

Page / 3290
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top