BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

This is tangential to the thread, but I have questions.  What scenario do you see where you'd be walking/biking home and abandoning your car?  

I see this "get home bag" concept a lot revolving around leaving behind a car and I don't think I understand the thinking.  My best guess is people have read prepper fantasy revolving around EMPs and picture their cars getting disabled.  

I've been around hurricane evacuations, severe freezing weather, fire evacs etc and never seen people leaving their cars to walk anywhere, it's either drive out or shelter in place depending on scenario.  So I guess my question is what scenario are you envisioning leaving your vehicle behind and riding your foldable bicycle home?  
View Quote

Honestly, I can't see too many scenarios where I'm leaving my vehicle unless it has been disabled (slashed tires) or was stuck in traffic after a mass event and ran out of gas/blocked in, but I HAD to leave.  

I don't have a true "get home" bag because I WFH basically full time (I have to go into the office once a month, which is under 5 miles away).  But for people that work a long ways from home, a bike makes more sense than a 2nd gun, be it to get home, or to get to a local store/gas station and back (to their vehicle or office) with supplies/parts/fuel.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By rDigital:

And they all have the advantage over prisms in that they can be used for passive aiming under NVGs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Eotech Battery life sucks and you don't need the complex reticle TBH. Any small Aimpoint, P2, H1, H2, T1, T2

And they all have the advantage over prisms in that they can be used for passive aiming under NVGs.

The PA 1x microprism is surprisingly bright under nods, very usable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 5:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HungLo] [#3]

This is tangential to the thread, but I have questions.  What scenario do you see where you'd be walking/biking home and abandoning your car?  

I see this "get home bag" concept a lot revolving around leaving behind a car and I don't think I understand the thinking.  My best guess is people have read prepper fantasy revolving around EMPs and picture their cars getting disabled.  

I've been around hurricane evacuations, severe freezing weather, fire evacs etc and never seen people leaving their cars to walk anywhere, it's either drive out or shelter in place depending on scenario.  So I guess my question is what scenario are you envisioning leaving your vehicle behind and riding your foldable bicycle home?  
View Quote

EMP is generally the thinking.

But if the zombies start blocking highways and streets, the traffic jams may become a real beeotch. Or if the balloon goes up, and everybody tries to get out of Dodge at once, and get home, all it may take is an accident to snarl things up bigly, and getting trapped in an interstate parking lot would suck.

I sure there’s many other scenarios that may apply.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

In terms of pre-built, a Rattle (5.5" 300blk) or Rattler LT (6.75" 300blk) or a Micro Draco (6.25" 7.62x39).  

You can build your own folder for a lot cheaper, however the LAW folder has a few restrictions. (Heavy.  Cannot charge while folded. Really cannot fire while folded).   There are a few options for piston uppers in 300blk that are out there, but only the SIG's are that short if you want a natural folder.   There are some piston uppers in the 8.5" range you can get.
View Quote

The CMMG Dissent in 300 BLK with a 6.5" barrel is another viable option. It weighs less than the rattler and is cheaper.  
CMMG sells them directly, but you can find them cheaper from other vendors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#5]

Honestly, I can't see too many scenarios where I'm leaving my vehicle unless it has been disabled (slashed tires) or was stuck in traffic after a mass event and ran out of gas/blocked in, but I HAD to leave.  

I don't have a true "get home" bag because I WFH basically full time (I have to go into the office once a month, which is under 5 miles away).  But for people that work a long ways from home, a bike makes more sense than a 2nd gun, be it to get home, or to get to a local store/gas station and back (to their vehicle or office) with supplies/parts/fuel.  

View Quote

This is thoughtful get-home advice for those that the scenario might fit. I like it.

Stacking guns sounds sexy but having something that will get you down the road much more efficiently, and quickly, in a situation where your car isn't going to do it; that's practical.  The use case is your first priority is getting to your home and/or family.

ETA - otherwise this thread is kinda dildos IMO.  $2k piston guns for PDW?  Stacking guns sounds fun but damn.  Just pistol lower a used 300blk or 5.56 upper of your choice and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Study of the grey man…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbauPzA3SD8
View Quote

never seen this, great stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By f402mech:

The PA 1x microprism is surprisingly bright under nods, very usable.
View Quote

Interesting.  Grabbing my 1x prism from mothballs right now
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
Trying to decide on the optic for this bad boy. I like an EOTech on it, but I also kinda think an ACRO P2 would go well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102217/IMG_3689-3304904.jpg
View Quote

I use an RMR on mine. I don't care for the ACRO and the EoTech is a bit large.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

If you skip all the Velcro and Molle webbing and everything else that screams tactical. Even most fellow gun guys don't instantly think "hey I bet he has a gun in there".

https://i.imgur.com/gxWdCFt.jpeg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

Most people are not gun schizos like us and I guarantee you they don't think that

Correct.  

Plus sling bags, fanny packs etc are more prevalent today than they have been in at least 20 years with the non gun public

If you skip all the Velcro and Molle webbing and everything else that screams tactical. Even most fellow gun guys don't instantly think "hey I bet he has a gun in there".

https://i.imgur.com/gxWdCFt.jpeg
" OPEN THE PIG". That was the ultimate in concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]

It's a new gun to me.  I have less than 500 rounds through it.  Hasn't given me any trouble, but I also haven't shot it enough to say anything definitive.

Seems to be getting a lot of love in Ukraine right now, and the Czechs build good stuff.  

The reliability issues you've heard about may have been with the 7.62x39 variant.  I haven't heard any issues with the 5.56 guns.
View Quote

Ukraine love for sure but not same as imported I don't think unfortunately.

And there were several 556 issues reported as well in a thread a few years ago. Hopefully all is resolved.

Either way it's a beautiful rig and definitely has me considering one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been been wanting a Rattler for awhile, this thread finally convinced me to fo. Maybe I'll get a 365 Flux too if they're ever in stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

As far as a get home gear , I have specific thoughts on that.  If you have to "leave" your vehicle. A cheap foldable bicycle is far more valuable than a 2nd handgun in a chassis or a folding micro rifle.  This is assuming you already have an everyday carry pistol on you.  

I would never leave any firearm in a vehicle now days. It to easy to get stolen. Some states will even hold you responsible for leaving a firearm in a vehicle and hold you responsible for its theft.

The whole idea is that a rifle, even when breaken down is huge. So no matter what you are doing: driving, walking, riding a bike, sitting in your work place, etc. carrying around a rifle, even a SBR, is just to large and really draws attention to you.

On the flip side. You can carry around a hand gun under all those events. However, hand guns are harder to shoot then a rifle. They really have a very close range for most people. You may be able to hit steel at 50-100 yards. But most people can’t.

So the idea of a PCC is having a more stable shooting platform then a hand gun yet being much smaller then a rifle. Where you use it does not matter. Driving, walking, bikeing. Does not matter. A PCC is more effective than a hand gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 3:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rDigital] [#13]
Up for your consideration: Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 5.7
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/New-Kel-Tec-Sub2000-in-5-7
Backpack PDW?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Backpack PDW?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243675/sub_jpg-3311674.JPG
View Quote

Fixed your link
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-Kel-Tec-Sub2000-in-5-7/5-2746165/
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Thanks,  updated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Backpack PDW?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243675/sub_jpg-3311674.JPG
View Quote

I was pretty unimpressed with my 9mm sub2k.

Personally only going to go 5.7 if its a ps90
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I have been through 2 of the folding sub2ks now. First one was recalled right before I was going on a multi-thousand mile road trip, so I was pretty pissed. Second was supposed to be post recall, but the horrible quality made me really hesitant to use it for "actual" work. And since it's at least 16" overall, might as well carry something better.

Only place it really makes sense is Texas where you can carry a loaded rifle but not a loaded pistol some places.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Need to save up for my Florida vacation, but I’m now thinking a folding brace lower with CMMG Dissent upper in 7.62x39 and a BRN180 upper in 300blk.

Any experience with the Dissent in that caliber? They show it feeding from AK mag lowers, would it feed from AR mag lowers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#19]
In the context of carrying a firearm in a pack, I just found out about the concept of "Single Purpose Container Doctrine".
TL;DW -- A case that is obviously carrying a gun, i.e., a gun case, can be warrantless searched as a 4th Amendment exception.

LAWYER: How to Stop Cops From Searching Your Gun Case

Link Posted: 9/3/2024 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
In the context of carrying a firearm in a pack, I just found out about the concept of "Single Purpose Container Doctrine".
TL;DW -- A case that is obviously carrying a gun, i.e., a gun case, can be warrantless searched as a 4th Amendment exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCflyOn4qhg

View Quote

Single purpose container = Crown Royal bag
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread inspired me to build my first AR pistol. 7” .300BLK.

Still need suppressor mount, handstop, and BUIS (and a better WML).

I call it the Shit Weasel. I hope to get it to the range this coming weekend to test it out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I had the Gen 2. I didn’t like mine either.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock 17 in a 20/20 or Flux brace

Common, easy to pack caliber

Conceals and holsters easy, 33 rounds is just a mag swap away, and you can very easily hit man sized targets at 100 yards with a dot
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 4:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feudist] [#24]
Here's an initial evaluation of the Flux Legion Raider by an "M" class USPSA/IDPA shooter who isn't a rifle shooter. He won it in a match.
He covers his comparison tests and their limitations, his shortcomings as a long gun shooter, his evolved practice and then an indoor IDPA match with it.
TL;DW:
Even in his unfamiliar and substandard technique hands, the braced gun catches up with and surpasses the optic sighted pistol at around 15 yards and then leaves it behind in speed/precision.
At closer ranges(5-10 yards), it has advantages over longer PCCs and with practice is at least as capable of high level shooting as an optimized pistol. Diligent practice would likely amplify its capability greatly at all ranges, shot difficulty and rate of fire.

Is the Flux Raider better than a pistol? 5 tips to master a PDW

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Here's an initial evaluation of the Flux Legion Raider by an "M" class USPSA/IDPA shooter who isn't a rifle shooter. He won it in a match.
He covers his comparison tests and their limitations, his shortcomings as a long gun shooter, his evolved practice and then an indoor IDPA match with it.
TL;DW:
Even in his unfamiliar and substandard technique hands, the braced gun catches up with and surpasses the optic sighted pistol at around 15 yards and then leaves it behind in speed/precision.
At closer ranges(5-10 yards), it has advantages over longer PCCs and with practice is at least as capable of high level shooting as an optimized pistol. Diligent practice would likely amplify its capability greatly at all ranges, shot difficulty and rate of fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2J8aP-hq-0

View Quote

Yeah, to be a master class shooter you have to really devote some time and continued training to it. And it's a perishable skill for sure. I used to dance right on the edge of getting there, but that was years and pounds and 3x a week training to get there.

I can still shoot to those kinds of standards with a pcc or rifle. Hell my wife can if I do the "load and make ready" part for her.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be experimenting with a new Bullpup kit. It works with bufferless uppers of course, but it's also been designed to work with standard uppers if you use the Dead Foot Arms MCS 2.5" buffer system. This is huge for a PDW builds with recent FRT trigger rulings. The DFA system does require a modified BCG, but it still retains the M16 sear engagement point. the DFA kit also works with everything up to 12.7x42mm.

I'm probably going to run mine with a Super Safety instead of one of the FRT offerings. The hardest part of the whole build will be deciding what caliber I want for my poor man's SMG.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#28]
dbltap
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Sitting here contemplating a CMMG Dissent 300BLK 6in upper on a folding brace lower. VS waiting for a BRN180 upper in x39?

Convince me one direction or another.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
Sitting here contemplating a CMMG Dissent 300BLK 6in upper on a folding brace lower. VS waiting for a BRN180 upper in x39?

View Quote

You know the answer, get both!

I don’t reload, because of that I’d lean to the 300. It isn’t cheap, but it’s available, and usually in multiple loadings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Thor:
I'll be experimenting with a new Bullpup kit. It works with bufferless uppers of course, but it's also been designed to work with standard uppers if you use the Dead Foot Arms MCS 2.5" buffer system. This is huge for a PDW builds with recent FRT trigger rulings. The DFA system does require a modified BCG, but it still retains the M16 sear engagement point. the DFA kit also works with everything up to 12.7x42mm.

I'm probably going to run mine with a Super Safety instead of one of the FRT offerings. The hardest part of the whole build will be deciding what caliber I want for my poor man's SMG.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/df33boo6jckd1_jpg-3317629.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66797/c800b1_6adad6c3de524e8ebcd3ee89e6f2ca9c_-3317630.JPG
View Quote

Dang...do you have a build thread for that thing?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Dang...do you have a build thread for that thing?
View Quote

Oh I don’t have the kit in my hands yet. Should have clarified that! Those are just pics I found of it on Reddit,
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jkirkon:

I call it the Shit Weasel. I hope to get it to the range this coming weekend to test it out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284805/IMG_0196_jpeg-3312241.JPG
View Quote

Reminds me a lot of mine which started life as a 7" 5.56. Now it has an 8" 300 BLK with a yhm R9.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:

View Quote

If going suppressed then 300blk for sure..
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Earax:

Reminds me a lot of mine which started life as a 7" 5.56. Now it has an 8" 300 BLK with a yhm R9.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228258/1000009580_jpg-3318287.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Earax:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228258/1000009580_jpg-3318287.JPG

Umbrella Corp build?
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 1:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earax] [#36]

Umbrella Corp build?
https://i.imgur.com/hiQsI3J.gif
View Quote

Ya, their initial run of lowers with the paint fill dividers for the logo.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But why the long barrel?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:

Love the build
Can you measure the collapsed OAL?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:

Love the build
Can you measure the collapsed OAL?

Thanks

I think it was 22.75”.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Strela:

But why the long barrel?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/51K-2_jpg-3318441.JPG
View Quote

That's not a PDW.  

That's a War Crime.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#40]

But why the long barrel?

View Quote

I’m getting a sinus headache just looking at that…. Because that’s what the last one did!
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#41]

That's not a PDW.  

That's a War Crime.
View All Quotes

But why the long barrel?

That's not a PDW.  

That's a War Crime.

Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]

That's not a PDW.  

That's a War Crime.
View All Quotes

But why the long barrel?

That's not a PDW.  

That's a War Crime.

Crew served weapon
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#43]
In last class for my bsn, waiting till I am finished to put my 300bo upper together.

Already slotted barrel into the upper, was surprised how short it was.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By HungLo:

But if the zombies start blocking highways and streets, the traffic jams may become a real beeotch. Or if the balloon goes up, and everybody tries to get out of Dodge at once, and get home, all it may take is an accident to snarl things up bigly, and getting trapped in an interstate parking lot would suck.

I sure there's many other scenarios that may apply.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HungLo:

I sure there's many other scenarios that may apply.

If I've got guns I can get a bike, but that goes both ways.   If things have gone that badly I'd probably rather be relatively inconspicuous on foot than moving fast on a bike.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

Crew served weapon
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

But why the long barrel?

That's not a PDW.  

That's a War Crime.

Crew served weapon

Combination firearm/flashbang/flamethrower
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mpdphil:
Good enough for Bonnie and Clyde, good enough for me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66729/IMG_5043_jpeg-3242281.JPG
View Quote

I like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Ruger dropped their LC in 10mm yesterday. Should fit right in in this discussion.

https://ruger.com/products/lcCarbine/specSheets/19307.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DH2:
Ruger dropped their LC in 10mm yesterday. Should fit right in in this discussion.

https://ruger.com/products/lcCarbine/specSheets/19307.html
View Quote

Holy sheet need one of those
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#49]
My 7.5" 300 blackout fits into my backpack fine with everything else I carry.  If I want a vehicle gun an AR is what I grab.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#50]

But why the long barrel?

View Quote
HHNNNGGGGG!!!
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top