BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazing that somebody still flies a -200!
View Quote

There is some charter company that flies into LEX, to haul UK's football and basketball teams around, that uses the 737-200.

ETA- its Ameristar
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Luckily, I have no clue.   We can assume Every takeoff is derated in that old warbird though.  
View Quote
Alaska Airlines, Wien & Markair all used dash 200s for STOL flights to the villages for decades and never hurt a tree as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is an OLD 737
View Quote
Probably won't get a whole lot older if they keep doing that. Neither will the pilots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m guessing it was way more than 600 pounds overweight. Probably a missing zero.
View Quote

This. Like a Captain said one time when we were counting kids to make legal takeoff weight, “Hell, there’s a 1000 pounds of hair and breadcrumbs on this plane”.

Unless a plane is new or just been weighed, you have no idea what it really weighs. “Average passenger weight” is total horseshit.

Measure it with a micrometer. Mark it with a pencil. Cut it with an axe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

South America and Central America.

More likely the culprit is little to no maintenance and what was supposed to be done was pencil-whipped.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgezyQm4_eo

For the seasoned 737 pilots here, what's going on when the PNF puts the landing gear handle in what looks like a middle position, is it because that the 200 series didn't have main gear doors ?
View Quote

Boeing-ism. The 767/757 is like that. The gear handle in the up position runs the hydraulics to retract the gear and close the doors and uplocks). The neutral position turns off the hydraulics to the gear because it’s not needed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.  And who runs a five person crew on a cargo bird?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.  And who runs a five person crew on a cargo bird?

Depending on the cargo, a bird in Columbia likely has some sort of traveling security.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This. Like a Captain said one time when we were counting kids to make legal takeoff weight, “Hell, there’s a 1000 pounds of hair and breadcrumbs on this plane”.

Unless a plane is new or just been weighed, you have no idea what it really weighs. “Average passenger weight” is total horseshit.

Measure it with a micrometer. Mark it with a pencil. Cut it with an axe.
View Quote

"1000 pounds of hair and breadcrumbs...."

Let me guess, that Captain wore a black uniform with gold wings?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks how small the engines are.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
He should have tossed out a few kilos.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Depending on the cargo, a bird in Columbia likely has some sort of traveling security.
View Quote

The C-17s had Ravens on board every time they came into Colombia when we were there, and that was a freaking military base...if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably won't get a whole lot older if they keep doing that. Neither will the pilots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is an OLD 737

My Dad, who spent almost 60 years in military and commercial aviation used to say; “I know old Pilots and bold Pilots but I don’t know any old, bold Pilots”.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Boeing-ism. The 767/757 is like that. The gear handle in the up position runs the hydraulics to retract the gear and close the doors and uplocks). The neutral position turns off the hydraulics to the gear because it’s not needed.
View Quote

The 747-400 has the off position too, but the new -8 does not. You have to be careful because we fly both and it's easy to act like Pavlov's dogs...
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
If your not skimming the trees you are light and losing money. Plenty of fudge room in those max load numbers. As a matter of fact, in third world countries most of these numbers are recommendations and not anything absolute.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"1000 pounds of hair and breadcrumbs...."

Let me guess, that Captain wore a black uniform with gold wings?
View Quote

Yep. We all did…

Leaving CPH for JFK.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top