Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you crash it yet?
View Quote

Not sure I could, it’s got nanny stuff up the wazoo. Might be able to side-slam into something.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Tried to tell him. A Mini 2 with three batteries and rapid charger is way better than a Mini 3 with 1 battery and slow ass in drone charging.
View Quote

I’ll be ordering mo fly. I just wanted to get in the air today, see what’s up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not sure I could, it’s got nanny stuff up the wazoo. Might be able to side-slam into something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you crash it yet?

LOL, try harder.

Also, get the battery pack, charger, case combo thingie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It finally hit me of what these things remind me of....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not this one. LOL You might be able to rig one of these to drop a black cat or smoke ball.
View Quote

Mini2/MiniSE can lift 7 ounces. Probably fly decently with 4 ounces. Mini3 is stronger. But Air2S would be much better if a bit louder. I'm sure a 2S could deliver AGL grenades a la Ukraine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I flew a Mini 2 (bottom sensors only) sideways into the top of a tree. Altitude 123', and it turns out at least one of my trees is at least 125' tall. It hit the ground a couple days later, broke a motor arm and camera mount leg on impact. A little glue and it flew again. Luckily the gimbal still operated normally.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Love my Mini 2 but wished I waited for the Mini 3 Pro. Biggest gripe is having to fully commit your phone to the Mini 2's controller whereas the Pro has the onboard screen. And it's not a smooth process to out stretch the spring loaded bracket while squeezing in your phone with the other hand, then having to wrap the wire around to plug it in.
View Quote

Lay your phone into the top holder piece and over the bottom and then just push on the bottom of your phone to extend the holder and the bottom will just pop right in.  Its much easier than trying to fiddle fuck with holding the bracket open and putting the phone in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With your user name and avatar, you're going to be bored with a picture taking drone in no time at all.  I have one, a DJI Inspire 1 V2, that was given to me.  I rarely fly it.  I do enjoy my fpv drones though.  

I flew this one around the neighborhood this morning.  Iflight XL10 I built earlier this year.  It has an ExpressLRS rx/tx control link, so your only boundaries are your batteries.  I had this out 1.6 miles in early testing, and it flies in acro mode most of the time, so you can do stunts with it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/319951/20221001_080954_jpg-2546406.JPG

Not knockin' the Dji mini, still might pick one up for scenic stuff, but fpv is alot more fun IMHO.  Look into whoops for good cheap starter fpv fun.  One advantage to the sub-250g class is, no Remote ID, which is coming next year.  Not saying it'll affect me much, as I fly in the open desert anyway, but it will affect park flyers and professionals who work with drones.  

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id
View Quote

So the DJI Mini series does not and will not comply because it's exempt?
Or will updating the firmware put it into Remote ID mode?

Here are other dates of note:

September 16, 2022:
       Drone manufacturers must comply with the final rule's requirements for them.
   September 16, 2023:
       All drone pilots must meet the operating requirements of part 89. For most operators this will mean flying a Standard Remote ID Drone, equipping with a broadcast module, or flying at a FRIA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know how compatible the 2 and 3 are but this is a 12 page thread that might contain some useful info/tips.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Just-bought-a-dji-mini-2/5-2542958/
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 2:52:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So the DJI Mini series does not and will not comply because it's exempt?
Or will updating the firmware put it into Remote ID mode?

Here are other dates of note:

September 16, 2022:
       Drone manufacturers must comply with the final rule's requirements for them.
   September 16, 2023:
       All drone pilots must meet the operating requirements of part 89. For most operators this will mean flying a Standard Remote ID Drone, equipping with a broadcast module, or flying at a FRIA.
View Quote

From what I understand, the Mini 3 has a larger battery pack available that puts it over the 250g threshold, so it would not be exempt.  So they've probably already built in the RID into the firmware.  I know it's already got the capability to do it, my Inspire 1 is 6 years old, and won't go more than 50yds without me signing into the app, so it knows who's flying it, and it knows where home is, so it's already 90% capable of doing it.  Whether or not they'll update the firmware to enable RID is yet to be seen, but they'll probably do it.  The last firmware released for it set a max geofence to something like 500yds, which sucks.  Another reason to like my fpv stuff more.  RID is unknown to 99+% of the population as it is, so I don't see people having much trouble with it.  But it is here because people have done, and continue to do, stupid stuff with their drones that make other people call the police on them.  Here's a really informative video on Remote ID, it answers a lot of questions.

https://youtu.be/lFgR0pP_fjE
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you crash it yet?

They can be crashed......

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVEPs-yq4c
View Quote

Yep, no side sensors.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep, no side sensors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVEPs-yq4c

Yep, no side sensors.

I am going to blame Battlefield 4 tanks.....

Maybe I should choose a different mode.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread cost me money.  

Got the Mini 3 Pro and fly more package.   It is amazing what is packed into such a small package.   I was hesitant to upgrade from the Mavic Air I've had for years, but the difference is now demonstrably worth it.  (I had NO IDEA there is a zoom feature on the camera!)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top