Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This should be a pinned post. There's too much valuable info on here to have it get lost in the wasteland that is GD.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The Japanese steel these swords were made of is a simple steel made of iron and carbon, harvested from iron-bearing red sand.

It's called Tamahagane and its carbon percentage varies broadly from about 0.5 to 1.5 percent.   In part because most swords are made from at least two
separate pieces of steel with diffferent carbon contents.

It's a very simple steel almost free of anything but iron and carbon.

A carbon content of 0.7 percent is considered to be the ideal value for the edge steel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Surf:
Why do I feel this thread is going to cost me money?
View Quote
I know it's only going to cost someone else money, because I really don't feel like taking on the responsibility of caring for one of these.

They're amazing pieces of work, though, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
My general "price" estimate goes like this:

$750 - $1000
You CAN find something good once in a blue moon, but unless you are very lucky, it's going to have a problem (or problems).  Also, it's going to be a wakizashi - forget about a katana.

$1000 - $2000
In this range, you can find really nice Wakizashi blades in excellent condition, often with good furniture, and often with NBTHK papers.  Obviously, the closer you get to $2000, the more you get.  You can definitely find nice Koto waks from the 1500s in this range, but you will usually get more for your money with Shinto waks from the 1600s.

You can find a katana in this range (probably from the 1600s), but it will likely not be papered, and will probably not have furniture - and might have some small flaws.

$2000 - $3000
Now you are starting to be able to afford katanas.  In this range, you can certainly find katanas in really nice condition with NBTHK paperwork, and sometimes with nice furniture as well.  In terms of wakizashi blades, you can now definitely start to get quite a bit for your money.

$3000 - $5000
If you have your heart set on a nice katana, with a good shape and length, with paperwork and nice furniture (from the 1500s or 1600s), this is the price range you will most likely end up in.  You can get a LOT of nice stuff for your money in the $3000s.  If you have $3500 to spend, for example - and you are willing to be patient - you can end up with something really nice.

If course, if you have to have a papered Muromachi (1500s) blade, that is at least 70cm long, with a perfect polish and no flaws, and really nice furniture - then you might end up paying over $4000.

But, unless you are a serious collector, who is looking for something very specific, or is interested in very reputable smiths, I would honestly say that you can satisfy any "japanese sword" craving for under $5000.

Above $5000
This is where you start to get into swords that have the higher-level paperwork.  Juyo-level swords can easily cost into the $20K, $30K or higher ranges.

Alternatively, if you want older swords, you are also going to pay more.  One of my swords is from the 1300s, and has regular Hozon level paperwork, but I paid over $6000 for it, because I wanted an older sword.  It also has really nice furniture, and a very nice length (72 cm).  The only reason it was less than $10k is that it has been polished a number of times.  Not too many times - the blade is still healthy, but it is definitely thinner than the day it was made.  
View Quote
Any chance we could see a picture? Mind boggling that’s equivalent to the late Middle Ages in England.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You should take your best one on knife or death.  I think they're filming season 3.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, it is entirely selfish, but in a completely different way.

My wife and I recently decided where and when we are going to retire, and are focusing our income and investments on that goal.  As such, it makes no sense for me to still occasionally buy Japanese swords.  But, because it is an addiction, I just cannot stop surfing the various dealers, and looking for "the deal" .  This way, when I see a good deal, I can post it in this thread, and hopefully an arfcommer will say "Hey, I want to buy that" - and then I would be obligated to NOT try to buy it for myself.

Win - win.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cttb:
I think DK-Prof figured out an ingenious way to drive up the value of his collection. To the rest of the world, it will be an inexplicable and sudden surge in demand for Japanese antique swords. Probably similar to Joe Bob's wondering how they sold all those Blackhawk! muzzle devices in a few hours.
Honestly, it is entirely selfish, but in a completely different way.

My wife and I recently decided where and when we are going to retire, and are focusing our income and investments on that goal.  As such, it makes no sense for me to still occasionally buy Japanese swords.  But, because it is an addiction, I just cannot stop surfing the various dealers, and looking for "the deal" .  This way, when I see a good deal, I can post it in this thread, and hopefully an arfcommer will say "Hey, I want to buy that" - and then I would be obligated to NOT try to buy it for myself.

Win - win.  
Sounds like an oriental rug habit. I find Japanese swords fascinating. It's amazing you can buy something that old and that cool for so little money, relative  to  other antiques.  There was a time in the early 2000s when some good rugs were available for great prices. I was buying them for friends I owed gifts to just because the deals were so good I couldn't pass them up and shopping for other friends because the bargain hunting was so fun. Queue the "I should buy a Japanese sword" cat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#10]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
About 10-15 years ago I looked into the possibility of buying a brand new Samurai Katana with sheath. I think the price for commissioning a Japanese swordsmith to make one and the extra cost to have a sheath made for it came out to around $25,000 and up. The high price was because of the intricate process involved to make the sword, after which it gets sent off to a master to make the sheath. Not to menti9on that there are not that many swordsmiths left and the Japanese government restricts the number of swords they make. The Japanese government hates firearms, but for some strange reason they also seem to hate samurai swords. Otherwise, they wouldn't have all of those restrictions on them.  AT the time I was looking into it, if the price was around $8,000 I would have commissioned one. But, I did not have the where with all to afford $25,000.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I would not have guessed that there is such a large supply of old Japanese blades.  How do these dealers procure these products?  Is it common for Japanese homes to have such heirlooms?

Awesome thread, by the way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
There is one sword listed on the site DK posted that seems to be over 1000 years old
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Originally Posted By Swoosh101:
I thought original remaining swords were all registered with the japanese govt and couldn't leave the country?
There is one sword listed on the site DK posted that seems to be over 1000 years old
damn did that tickle my Highlander bone!  Swords, living forever (kinda) and history all rolled into one.  Come on Mega Millions jackpot!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Guntoter] [#16]
I have one of those "cheap junk stamped steel NCO swords", which they are not any of those things and are actually a very high quality sword, just not handmade national treasures.  These were combat weapons meant to be carried and used so they sometimes look it.  I got this years ago and it's a treasured piece of my Japanese WW2 weapons and militaria collection.  Kokura Arsenal with matching serial numbers on blade and scabbard, original and un-touched sword and blade.

Just a look at the other end of Japanese sword collecting, for different purposes.

Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad has a ww2 sword someone brought back to the states. I used it to cut down small trees when I was a kid
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesuDurDesu] [#19]

There is literally no limit to how much you can spend, when it comes to things like this, so I hear you.  Depending on the smith and furniture maker, I am sure it can easily get that high.

I believe you can commission a custom sword from a quality registered Japanese smith for about $7k to $9k these days, but the cost of the furniture can very high.  If you just want basic furniture for iaido, it can probably be done pretty reasonably, and the whole package can probably be under $10k.  But, if you want a fancy set of furniture, it can easily get VERY expensive fast,

I am not any kind of expert on modern made blades, since I am interested in the old historical blades.  I believe @sirensong knows a little something about it, since I think a friend of his recently commissioned a custom blade in japan.  He is also the person I blame for my most recent purchase, because I recommended he buy it, but when he didn’t, I felt compelled to because I couldn’t resist the deal.  
View Quote
I can usually polish a weapon, it get progressively expensive.  The family blades make 10 k look like a cake its easily 100 K usd and even more.  My wife kimonos and yukatas are thousands of dollars too.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Here’s a picture of the furniture, the blade itself in the storage sheath, as well as the NBTHK paperwork and the oshigata (a drawing/rubbing of the blade, with the temper pattern drawn in)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/21697.JPG

Here’s a super-pretentious picture I took years ago, with some cherry blossoms from the Japanese maple in our front yard.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/18967.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: disorientedpilot] [#22]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
DK.  I want to learn.

Can you recommend me some books giving context to these swords so I can get excited?   I generally read, then research, then get excited and buy.

TLDR.  Please recommend history that will enhance the time and use of these weapons.

(This post sponsored by Tito’s)
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-Book-Japanese-Swords/dp/1568365810
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I highly recommend getting this book FIRST.

It's a very friendly introduction book.   And fascinating.

https://www.amazon.com/Craft-Japanese-Sword-Leon-Kapp/dp/1568364318/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+craft+of+the+japanese+sword&qid=1561868592&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The Connoisseur's Book is definitely on a different level.  It's rather dry reading.  It's a reference for the collector, not rich reading material.  It doesn't have photos, it has illustrative drawings where required.

There are some very good videos on youtube concerning sword making and sword polishing and the making of the fittings.

Start by searching "Japanese swordsmith" and "Japanese sword polishing" and you'll get some good videos to check out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for this thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By juni4ling:
Thanks for this thread.
View Quote
Am I an asshole for expecting Trump to be mentioned in his reply
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Those swords are beautiful.  I'd love to have something like that made so long ago but I can't say I'm interested enough to pay that much money.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Swords are fun to look at but there is art in tsubas and other fittings.

Link Posted: 6/30/2019 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Truly a high quality post.  Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:02:40 AM EDT
[#31]
And here I was trying to save up for night vision...
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#32]

There is literally no limit to how much you can spend, when it comes to things like this, so I hear you.  Depending on the smith and furniture maker, I am sure it can easily get that high.

I believe you can commission a custom sword from a quality registered Japanese smith for about $7k to $9k these days, but the cost of the furniture can very high.  If you just want basic furniture for iaido, it can probably be done pretty reasonably, and the whole package can probably be under $10k.  But, if you want a fancy set of furniture, it can easily get VERY expensive fast,

I am not any kind of expert on modern made blades, since I am interested in the old historical blades.  I believe @sirensong knows a little something about it, since I think a friend of his recently commissioned a custom blade in japan.  He is also the person I blame for my most recent purchase, because I recommended he buy it, but when he didn’t, I felt compelled to because I couldn’t resist the deal.  
View Quote
it was like talking to a drug dealer.

"c'mon dude--it'll make you feel goooood!  and all the chicks will dig you."

honestly, i don't pretend to know much about the swords themselves, other than the parameters my school favors.  your starting price point of $7K is right in line with what our students have found for quality gendaito made by modern smiths with a good lineage.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:19:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By chango78:
The problem with me and nihonto is that you can't do much with antique blades besides look at them. I own a couple (Kanemoto 3 and Tadayuki 1) but once the novelty wears off... well let's just say this hobby isn't for everyone.
View Quote
IM me your location, and there's a decent chance i can find you a legitimate school of the japanese sword in your vicinity.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:23:58 AM EDT
[#34]
How much for the Honjo Masamune, Coldy?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By P08:
Swords are fun to look at but there is art in tsubas and other fittings.

https://i.imgur.com/ErviNGs.jpg
View Quote
I have a Tsuba framed that my uncle acquired in the 1980s but I think it's just a repro of a famous one.  The elaborate ones are certainly beautiful.

Attachment Attached File

I'd be interested in getting a nice katana IF I had a spot to appropriately display it, which I don't at the moment.  I'm also hesitant to dive into something that takes that much knowledge and research.  Sure, I could just plop $4k down on something with papers, but if I can't talk about or describe it intelligently, I don't see the point.  Sort of embarrassing not to know the ins and outs.

I can ramble for hours about the weapons I normally collect.  I already got six new polearms this year.

Maybe them Japanese fellahs can help me with a polish!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:28:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

IM me your location, and there's a decent chance i can find you a legitimate school of the japanese sword in your vicinity.
View Quote
Where would one go in Austin?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

I have a Tsuba framed that my uncle acquired in the 1980s but I think it's just a repro of a famous one.  The elaborate ones are certainly beautiful.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45309/81AB7B72-3F43-4BF9-95D6-4C7080FC51B4_jpeg-999006.JPG

I'd be interested in getting a nice katana IF I had a spot to appropriately display it, which I don't at the moment.  I'm also hesitant to dive into something that takes that much knowledge and research.  Sure, I could just plop $4k down on something with papers, but if I can't talk about or describe it intelligently, I don't see the point.  Sort of embarrassing not to know the ins and outs.

I can ramble for hours about the weapons I normally collect.  I already got six new polearms this year.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45309/8659B0B6-8F81-4E25-B172-4AD163100B91_jpeg-999008.JPG
View Quote
Signature is relevant.

Do all arfocommers have a bunch of swords in a golf bag, a bundle of pole arms leaning in the corner and nods/thermal sitting on top of their pile of transferable MGs?  I'm beginning to feel inadequate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
View All Quotes

if you're serious, you're in luck--there are excellent options in austin.  perhaps the most famous sword school in japanese history is yagyu shinkage ryu, which was the school that most of the shoguns studied (itto ryu being the other).  austin is one of the only cities outside of japan with a legitimate YSR dojo.  there's also araki ryu, which is renowned in japan as the supreme school of how to fight dirty.  the first lesson in araki ryu is how to escape from being forced to commit seppuku...by killing everyone around you.  if you want direct competition with a modern art, the austin kendo doshikai is taught by a renowned--though extremely strict--teacher.

and if you're still interested in a couple of years, i may be of sufficient rank to begin teaching eishin ryu iaido.  i lead a study group in north austin right now (albeit with only 1 other student), but my teacher in DFW has proposed a timeline for starting my own dojo.  all i have to do is practice harder, practice more, and stop sucking.

Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#39]

if you're serious, you're in luck--there are excellent options in austin.  perhaps the most famous sword school in japanese history is yagyu shinkage ryu, which was the school that most of the shoguns studied (itto ryu being the other).  austin is one of the only cities outside of japan with a legitimate YSR dojo.  there's also araki ryu, which is renowned in japan as the supreme school of how to fight dirty.  the first lesson in araki ryu is how to escape from being forced to commit seppuku...by killing everyone around you.  if you want direct competition with a modern art, the austin kendo doshikai is taught by a renowned--though extremely strict--teacher.

and if you're still interested in a couple of years, i may be of sufficient rank to begin teaching eishin ryu iaido.  i lead a study group in north austin right now (albeit with only 1 other student), but my teacher in DFW has proposed a timeline for starting my own dojo.  all i have to do is practice harder, practice more, and stop sucking.

View Quote
I would be interested in checking it out to satisfy my curiosity. Realistically I need to focus time and money on training with more modern arms. I have gotten distracted over the last couple years and also need to stop sucking.

Araki ryu sounds my speed.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:
Good point.

Needle-gun it is then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:

Belt sander or orbital?
Don't get him started.  He can't help himself.  Once bare metal is there, you paint it.  It is Navy 101.
Good point.

Needle-gun it is then.
That’s the spirit!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#41]
GREAT WRITEUP!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a fantastic thread topic, OP

Do you see many examples of Japanese edged weapons with battlefield damage, IE sword to sword combat?  The mind can't help but think of the stories that could tell.  Shame the info would mostly be lost in time
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks a lot, jerk. Now I’m ruined.

You probably shouldn’t tel these guys about ALL THE JAPANESE ARMOR THAT’S OUT THERE
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:30:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BUCC_Guy] [#45]
Signature is relevant.

Do all arfocommers have a bunch of swords in a golf bag, a bundle of pole arms leaning in the corner and nods/thermal sitting on top of their pile of transferable MGs?  I'm beginning to feel inadequate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45309/81AB7B72-3F43-4BF9-95D6-4C7080FC51B4_jpeg-999006.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45309/8659B0B6-8F81-4E25-B172-4AD163100B91_jpeg-999008.JPG
Signature is relevant.

DK is our resident Japanese sword nerd.  I pick up the peasant slack with European polearms.  I don't know of anyone else that has expansive pre-modern edged weapon collections... but I wouldn't discount the notion that we have several that aren't attention whores.  

There is a stark difference in expertise levels, as there is a LOT to learn, understand, and digest with Japanese arms, which is why I tend to steer clear.  DK is on a different level, because there is a wealth of research, agreed upon (or widely recognized) understandings about different schools and smiths, and generally a lot to keep track of.  My brain can't handle that.

My years spent playing with European arms doesn't translate at all to collecting Japanese arms.  It may as well be a nuclear reactor, and I'm a monkey with a wrench.  I'm used to comparing unidentified European items with extant examples from museums or artwork to narrow down potential eras and regions/nations.  Meanwhile, some Japanese blades get pegged down to a specific smith at a specific time.  Yowzers.

What I do appreciate, and I think most people do, is the technology/artistry aspect of it.  When you take THAT into account, Japanese items are shockingly affordable.

This thread has taken me down the rabbit hole of shopping for Tsubas, which I very much like as decorative art.

The problem is the words mean nothing to me.  The descriptions in my head are like... "Tsuba... gobbledegook... has papers."

They look so killer, though.  They'd look better as a group of 10 on my wall.  

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  Poor screenshot choice as those examples are approaching $4000 each.  I would be more likely to aim for <$1k examples.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I actually saw a real Samurai sword that was period correct for the sword. What impressed me with the steel and the hamon line. The steel was sharp but it was a bit in a poor state that the family had it stored at the time.

I would estimate the sword was about 130 years old when I saw it 24 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#49]

I have managed to resist the temptation ... with the exception of one helmet/menpo that I just had to have.  
View Quote
Pics or it didn’t happen?
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top