Quoted:

What did Buffalo Bill do?

Skinned his humps.

Well played!
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An "interesting" point of view. So, the Flying Tigers (or whatever they were) should not have been doing the same? I'm getting a "only police/military should have guns" vibe.

Would like to know more about the "kicked out of the PTO".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think he did pretty well against the japs.

So well that he got kicked out of the theater of operations.

As a civilian, he shouldn't have been shooting down Japanese aircraft, but I can understand him wanting to help out.
I finished a book a few months ago, 'The Race of Aces', and they mentioned his 'participation'.
If yo get a chance, read it.  It's a very good book.

An "interesting" point of view. So, the Flying Tigers (or whatever they were) should not have been doing the same? I'm getting a "only police/military should have guns" vibe.

He lied his way over to an Air Force P-38 unit although his job had nothing to do with P-38s or, I suppose, the Air Force, then flew combat missions off the books. It ended the CO’s career who allowed that, although I don’t think he knew Lindburgh wasn’t authorized to be there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Being good at one thing doesn't mean you're good at everything.
View Quote
This.  Plus many, if not most, historically-significant figures were bastards in their personal lives.

I sure hope the OP isn't a Trump supporter....
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Had to make Christmas gatherings a little uncomfortable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He managed to have secret families with two sisters... might be a scumbag, but that's ballsy!

Had to make Christmas gatherings a little uncomfortable.  
Imagine what his "Birthday" and "Anniversary" calendar looked like....
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He was a Nazi sympathizer just like Ford.

And yeah, that's where "America first" came from. People that were pro Hitler and the Nazi party.
View Quote

America has had an isolationist streak ever since George Washington warned about "foreign entanglements".

The Founding Fathers believed it was a bad idea to get involved in Europe's family arguments -- a belief that is still valid today.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thomas Jefferson did not have an affair with Sally Hemmings. This has been debunked time and time again.
View Quote
Even if he did, Hemmings was only 1/8 black and would be considered "white" today.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Race of Aces addresses that it was made out to be bigger than it was.

Lindbergh doesn't come out looking good. He despised the American fighter pilots who worshipped him and considered them to be murderers (even though he himself was looking to shoot down Japanese illegally) and wanted to uncover American war crimes. This was all discovered in his writings years later.
View Quote
Didn't know that. I also recall that Mac McGuire treated Lindbergh like shit, and Lindbergh took it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't see any evidence Washington created it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84024/Screenshot_20231205_170031_Chrome_jpg-3050438.JPG

And can you go around unabashedly drawing Swastikas and feinting ignorance and telling everybody "those are Swastikas I drew. Those are actually ancient Nordic runes."??

The stain cannot be washed away.
View Quote
LOL.

AIV:  "America First is a Nazi slogan"

Also AIV:  *posts screenshot showing it was used by American politicians before Hitler was even born*
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got a friend a couple towns away whose grandfather did exactly that. He literally had two different families going on at the same time, complete with two sets of kids. I guess it was sort of hush-hush at the time, but he'd spend a day or two with one family and then "go to work" so he could spend the next few days with the other family.

That's kind of bizarre in my mind.
View Quote

I just can't fathom that--how would one have time to actually work instead of 'work'?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

He also had secret Japanese families in Yokohama.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Give a man money and/or power they'll use it to get more women it's just a sure as the sun coming up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Understood.  I'm setting aside his "America First" opinions, which are debatable.

I'm fairly certain that Lindbergh had US national interest at heart, but YMMV.

Cheating, for decades, on his wife and family is another thing, IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His support for Hitler and then Nazi's pretty much ended any
admiration I ever felt for the man.
Understood.  I'm setting aside his "America First" opinions, which are debatable.

I'm fairly certain that Lindbergh had US national interest at heart, but YMMV.

Cheating, for decades, on his wife and family is another thing, IMHO.
Maybe his wife was just a total bitch
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holding people to today's sensibilities band virtue's is dumb. What ever you do don't go looking into the secret affairs of the founding father's, you will hate America.
View Quote

I look around and I don't see much in the way of sensibilities anyone could hope to comply with.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looks at Islamic riots, crime, and terrorism rampant in Europe and increasesing in the US and thinks, well, he kinda ahd a point.  Death of the west is a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you have Lindeberg and Ford being the biggest symbols of America First movement in the 1930s and saying pro-Nazi policies. Yeah it should be called out if some dbag politician pulls it out of the ether in today's tines. If say the same if Dins did it with Commie movement slogans in the 20s, 30s and 40s

Can I get some quotes?

Because saying things like “I don’t support foreign entanglements” or “I oppose the Federal Reserve” or “FDR’s government is filled with Communists” are not “pro-Nazi”

They did with communist slogans/movements, hell the communist had a rally in Madison Square Garden with a giant banner of Dishonst Abe, and weirdly enough demanding we join the war.

"We, the heirs of European culture, are on the verge of a disastrous war, a war within our own family of nations, a war which will reduce the strength and destroy the treasures of the White race, a war which may even lead to the end of our civilization. And while we stand poised for battle, Oriental guns are turning westward, Asia presses towards us on the Russian border, all foreign races stir restlessly. It is time to turn from our quarrels and to build our White ramparts again. This alliance with foreign races means nothing but death to us. It is our turn to guard our heritage from Mongol and Persian and Moor, before we become engulfed in a limitless foreign sea. Our civilization depends on a united strength among ourselves; on strength too great for foreign armies to challenge; on a Western Wall of race and arms which can hold back either a Genghis Khan or the infiltration of inferior blood; on an English fleet, a German air force, a French army, an American nation, standing together as guardians of our common heritage, sharing strength, dividing influence.

We can have peace and security only so long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood, only so long as we guard ourselves against attack by foreign armies and dilution by foreign races.

With all the world around our borders, let us not commit racial suicide by internal conflict. We must learn from Athens, and Sparta before all of Greece is lost."

- Lindbergh, Reader's Digest, 1939

Looks at Islamic riots, crime, and terrorism rampant in Europe and increasesing in the US and thinks, well, he kinda ahd a point.  Death of the west is a thing.

Never pictured you as one to support blood purity as means to defend Western civilization...but the world's a strange place.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Giant balls full of testosterone will do that to you.

People who don't have that attack it on moral grounds.
View Quote

Nonsense. You can be a manly man and still have integrity.  Lindbergh did not.  He was also a Nazi sympathizer and therefore scum.  Is that the fault of his balls also?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Never pictured you as one to support blood purity as means to defend Western civilization...but the world's a strange place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you have Lindeberg and Ford being the biggest symbols of America First movement in the 1930s and saying pro-Nazi policies. Yeah it should be called out if some dbag politician pulls it out of the ether in today's tines. If say the same if Dins did it with Commie movement slogans in the 20s, 30s and 40s

Can I get some quotes?

Because saying things like “I don’t support foreign entanglements” or “I oppose the Federal Reserve” or “FDR’s government is filled with Communists” are not “pro-Nazi”

They did with communist slogans/movements, hell the communist had a rally in Madison Square Garden with a giant banner of Dishonst Abe, and weirdly enough demanding we join the war.

"We, the heirs of European culture, are on the verge of a disastrous war, a war within our own family of nations, a war which will reduce the strength and destroy the treasures of the White race, a war which may even lead to the end of our civilization. And while we stand poised for battle, Oriental guns are turning westward, Asia presses towards us on the Russian border, all foreign races stir restlessly. It is time to turn from our quarrels and to build our White ramparts again. This alliance with foreign races means nothing but death to us. It is our turn to guard our heritage from Mongol and Persian and Moor, before we become engulfed in a limitless foreign sea. Our civilization depends on a united strength among ourselves; on strength too great for foreign armies to challenge; on a Western Wall of race and arms which can hold back either a Genghis Khan or the infiltration of inferior blood; on an English fleet, a German air force, a French army, an American nation, standing together as guardians of our common heritage, sharing strength, dividing influence.

We can have peace and security only so long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood, only so long as we guard ourselves against attack by foreign armies and dilution by foreign races.

With all the world around our borders, let us not commit racial suicide by internal conflict. We must learn from Athens, and Sparta before all of Greece is lost."

Except I didn't.  Just pointing out the salient fact that, given the state of the west today, importing the third world and third world cultures was not a very good idea.  He may have phrased his position along racial lines whereas it's the import of negative cultures and values incompatiable with western democracy that are the problem, not race in and of itself, but the position kinda has some validity in retrospect.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He lied his way over to an Air Force P-38 unit although his job had nothing to do with P-38s or, I suppose, the Air Force, then flew combat missions off the books. It ended the CO’s career who allowed that, although I don’t think he knew Lindburgh wasn’t authorized to be there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So well that he got kicked out of the theater of operations.

As a civilian, he shouldn't have been shooting down Japanese aircraft, but I can understand him wanting to help out.
I finished a book a few months ago, 'The Race of Aces', and they mentioned his 'participation'.
If yo get a chance, read it.  It's a very good book.

I've read that P-38's were a bit challenging to fly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holding people to today's sensibilities band virtue's is dumb. What ever you do don't go looking into the secret affairs of the founding father's, you will hate America.
View Quote

DID YOU KNOW THAT WASHINGTON AND JEFFERSON OWNED SLAVES YOU WHITE SUPREMECIST NAZI FUCKSTICK??????

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m sure he will get over it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I never think of him
View Quote

this the amount of hand wring for dead people that dont mean shit to me...this place
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pilots gonna pilot
View Quote

gigitty
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Except I didn't.  Just pointing out the salient fact that, given the state of the west today, importing the third world and third world cultures was not a very good idea.  He may have phrased his position along racial lines whereas it's the import of negative cultures and values incompatiable with western democracy that are the problem, not race in and of itself, but the position kinda has some validity in retrospect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I get some quotes?

He could have argued that, except he didnt.

He didn't want to go to war with Germany because they were of European blood.

He didnt consider Nazism a negative cultural value.

Do you consider Nazism as compatible with "Western Democracy"?

Rhetorical, I know you dont. But you can't defend Lindbergh's position without accepting racial purity as the source of "Western Culture".
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DID YOU KNOW THAT WASHINGTON AND JEFFERSON OWNED SLAVES YOU WHITE SUPREMECIST NAZI FUCKSTICK??????

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.5282536119.9162/flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.5282536119.9162/flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Reminds me, I need to get my brother-in-law a Xmas present.  Probably a donation to Gun Owners of America...

As Lindburgh being a dirty, filthy racist, people back then were smart enough, as we are, to also separate race from culture.  If the Melting Pot worked, there should be plenty of successful examples for Lindburgh to observe, and for him to realize that while Race was a useful set identifier for purposes of persuasive rhetoric, his antipathy should lie instead with the Cultures of the "Mongols, Orientals,"...etc  that he had a problem with.

But he didn't do that, as far as I know.  Not even privately.

Deeply flawed guy.  National Socialism was another idea from the Good Idea Fairy that swayed a few smart-enough-to-know-better people in the States, as he was.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Rhetorical, I know you dont. But you can't defend Lindbergh's position without accepting racial purity as the source of "Western Culture".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I get some quotes?

I think it less "defending" than pointing out that one should judge people as products of their time, not contemporary mores almost 100 years later.  In the 1930's a lot  of people were pro-Nazi before the war.   Concentration camps and ethnic cleansing were unknown at the time and teh Nazis made the economy of Germany boom after the devastation of Weimar Germany. They were for pretty much progressive movement from nationalized old age pensions to public healthcare , etc.  From Henry Ford to Kennedy and MArgaret Sanger all praised them.  Very few were "anti-Nazi" at the time. Is racism wrong? Of course but a lot of cultural and social issues were framed in race at the time.  Look at Rudyard Kipling and Winston Churchill.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nonsense. You can be a manly man and still have integrity.  Lindbergh did not.  He was also a Nazi sympathizer and therefore scum.  Is that the fault of his balls also?
View Quote

At the time communism was considered a world threat with millions starved and killed already, the people of Europe were horrified, and only the Germans were standing up to it after fighting them off internally and voting in a guy who rallied the people against it.

The public didn't know that FDR and the commies had infiltrated our government through convenient use of a self-inflicted monetary collapse and fellow travelers in the press made the Germans the bad guys in Europe to save the USSR so it could infect the world. The USSR received huge support from the US government. Read or listen to Major George Racey Jordan's testimony to congress.

Mistresses were a common thing in that time, if you could afford them.
Looking back 80 years to condemn someone based on heresay smacks of an infantile understanding of all the points at play, and is a familiar tactic of communists to destroy our past and remove our heroes.  

I suppose the renewed interest in rewriting history to sully and defame Lindbergh is a result of Trump's use of America First.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Nobody’s perfect.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think it less "defending" than pointing out that one should judge people as products of their time, not contemporary mores almost 100 years later.  In the 1930's a lot  of people were pro-Nazi before the war.   Concentration camps and ethnic cleansing were unknown at the time and teh Nazis made the economy of Germany boom after the devastation of Weimar Germany. They were for pretty much progressive movement from nationalized old age pensions to public healthcare , etc.  From Henry Ford to Kennedy and MArgaret Sanger all praised them.  Very few were "anti-Nazi" at the time. Is racism wrong? Of course but a lot of cultural and social issues were framed in race at the time.  Look at Rudyard Kipling and Winston Churchill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I get some quotes?

There was plenty of push back on Lindbergh in his own time, especially when he accepted a medal from the Nazi's.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top