Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the drier the air, the more effective a vest is. Never wore one back east, as they didn't seem to help at all.

Now I can work in sub freezing conditions with an Ariat Polartec sweatshirt and a Carhartt FR vest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fashion: it happens over & over.

Boomer checking in when vests—especially down vests—over a denim jacket or sweatshirt started in the 1970s, along with gym shorts on the outside of sweatpants.  Tube socks & Adidas, FTW, too.

In the 1960s, you wore a vest under a coat, then the puffy down vest took off into the 1970-1980s, likely because all the rich/cool kids skied, I guess.

I never understood the fashion of either, but have never owned a down vest.
View Quote

You don't wear down skiing. In fact, I hardly wear any insulation skiing. You are exercising lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Down vests were the rage back in the 70s.    Down needs to be dry and fluffy to work so you wore it on top of everything.

Fleece vests have taken over now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, if you are wearing a vest you are wearing it wrong.  Never had an instance where my core was cold but my arms weren't.  Just add another layer and cover everything
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They're going to work better as a midlayer.
View Quote

Sitting in a Deer stand, yeah. Swinging a hammer, no.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Vests are mostly a finance/tech bro thing to me.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My heated fleece vest goes under as a mid layer
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You would be crazy to wear a Down Vest under a jacket.  I have been wearing vests since the 70s and always wore and still wear one on the outside of a flannel. sweater, or a light jacket.
My current vest is a Carhartt with the sheep wool.   It's about not restricting my arms that makes it work for me, not fashion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fashion: it happens over & over.

Boomer checking in when vests especially down vests over a denim jacket or sweatshirt started in the 1970s, along with gym shorts on the outside of sweatpants.  Tube socks & Adidas, FTW, too.

In the 1960s, you wore a vest under a coat, then the puffy down vest took off into the 1970-1980s, likely because all the rich/cool kids skied, I guess.

I never understood the fashion of either, but have never owned a down vest.

Down vests are really warm. I had one in the seventies. It went under a coat if you needed one.

You would be crazy to wear a Down Vest under a jacket.  I have been wearing vests since the 70s and always wore and still wear one on the outside of a flannel. sweater, or a light jacket.
My current vest is a Carhartt with the sheep wool.   It's about not restricting my arms that makes it work for me, not fashion.
I'm wearing a Carhartt best right now over a flannel shirt. With the rain and humidity it isn't quite enough. I like the Carhartt vest. It is low profile to fit under jackets.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweatshirt weather the vest goes over it .
Once it's jacket weather the vest goes under the jacket
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Base layer, T-shirt, hoodie, heavy insulated vest.

Vest gives you pockets and core warmth, but doesn’t get as hot as a heavy coat when moving, and allows greater freedom of movement. Main reason is so you have a full range of motion, and the ability to ditch the vest when it starts warming up.

I’ve got a duluth active jac that works great when it’s in the 30’s and 40’s. Below that range, adding a base layer in the teens and 20’s, and mid layer below that works fine, at that point its extremities that are getting cold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Oops!
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IMHO, if you are wearing a vest you are wearing it wrong.  Never had an instance where my core was cold but my arms weren't.  Just add another layer and cover everything
View Quote

I run pretty warm and find I may start out a little chilly wearing a vest I don't overheat with it. I don't mind being cold. I hate overheating.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been wearing down vests since the early '70s and have always worn them on the outside of all the other clothing.
While I may or may not care if I'm fashionable depending on day and circumstances, the down vest has never been about fashion.  For me, I wear them when it's between freezing and 60 degrees with the under layers depending on temps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure they can be worn for fashion but utility wise, Depends on the task and the wearer and preference.

If exercising, one might want arm mobility and to keep their upper body warm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wear a vest over a heavy flannel, hoodie, or sweatshirt.
View Quote
Same.

I hate the bulk of a jacket, and honestly it doesn't get that cold in Virginia.

I can make through 75% of winter with a heavy flannel shirt and Carhartt vest.

As far as 'fashion' goes, who cares?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
What in the flying fuck is "shoulder season"?????????
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Vest over everything allows easier regulation of body temp by taking it off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought it was spring when we can go bare shoulders. OP likes vests with tank tops and wife beaters.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been doing it for years. Keeps me warm, but gives me extra mobility in the shoulders and arms.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Does it even get cold there?
View Quote

Not like Yankeeland but it gets into the 20s regularly its gonna be 32 in the morning and 27 tomorrow night, that's cold to us.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
i wear mine as an outer layer on the dirt bike
throw on a windbreaker over that if i'm on pavement for a while at night

between base layer and shell on snowmobiles

shoulder pads are a worthwhile addition, especially on snowbikes... deflect some of the branch hits

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I think vests are odd. Maybe I just have cold extremities. If I need another layer over my core, my arms do, too. That said, I'm comfortable running a saw in a t-shirt when it's 25° and snowing, so who knows, maybe vests are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#24]
LOL.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I always wore a vest over a coat. If it got warm I can ditch the vest but still have sleeves without taking everything off. I’m talking outdoor work, not those office vests
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A recent trend I've seen both on the jobsite and just around town is Carhartt vests.

I see their utility in shoulder season, they are a good way to stay warm without overheating.

It's been cold as hell though and guys are putting them over their heavy sweatshirts or jackets.

I've always considered a vest a mid layer. It goes under your jacket to act as core insulation, and if you heat up you shed your shell while retaining your vest.

I don't have one of the cool kid vests, just a el-cheapo synthetic that goes under my jacket.

Am I the one doing it wrong, or am I just witnessing the latest trend in men's rural fashion?
View Quote

When you wear a suite do you wear it over your coat…
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never owned or worn a vest.
View Quote

You are in the wrong thread then.

I've worn a vest over a hoodie for years.  I work electrical construction and a vest is great because it frees up the arms to work overhead. (running conduit, light fixtures, etc.)

When it gets really cold, the big jacket goes over the vest.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a Sorel canvas vest. I wear it outside of my heavy flannel shirts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

For those of us that work manual labor, a vest offers better range of movement, especially when working with arms overhead.  

Cuts down on the bulk.   My job requires me to be on a ladder, reaching with arms stretched out, on my knees wiring a motor, climbing 200' grain silos, etc.  A jacket can ride up and can restrict movement, especially tough construction outerwear like Carhartt which is the standard in our field.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I prefer the sleeveless liner in my M-65 so I can wear a hoodie if necessary and using a vest as a mid-layer works well so far.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Carhartt vest are an outer layer for me. It's for when it's not quite cold enough for a coat.

I also like that their rugged and don't tear as easily as a flannel or hoodie
View Quote

This is exactly right about all of it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Never understood vest? "Ooh my core is chilly' but my arms are on FIRE!"
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Vest has carry holster in it so i prefer it on the outside unless im gonna be out in the elements. Butusuqlly a hoodie and my vest are good enough fornormal winter city stuff

Eta need to add that my vest is an ariat. Vest master race. Dont F around with that carhart trash. I have one. Its not as comfy
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top