Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Internet is amazing,  quick search shows he lives in a 3/2 1500 sq ft townhouse,  worth about a million.
View Quote

3 bedrooms eh? Sure he wouldn’t mind leasing one of those bedrooms out. Townhome is still a luxury compared to what he’s advocating for but I’ll give him a little credit for somewhat walking the walk.

One could move to where’s lot of cheap land.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Get in the pod and eat bugs you will
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep. As of now they have the freedom to get out and go somewhere else that practices this commie crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
America needs to kick these people out.

Yep. As of now they have the freedom to get out and go somewhere else that practices this commie crap.
Can we start a citizen exchange program with Canada?

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure steamboat (like all of those shitty liberal mountain towns ) needs low cost workers to service the wealthy people vacationing there

Despite food and gas being double what it is off the mountains wages remain pretty much the same…. Where are those people gonna live?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Using Steamboat Springs is a scam

Thats Marie Antoinette shit right there.

"I want to live in a beautiful, remote, small Colorado mountain town, and I want to buy a 3bd/3bath ranch house on a barista salary."

I wanted to live in Steamboat, shit was too expensive, so I didn't.  Easy easy
View Quote

This guy gets it.

I also don't want to live in a community where there is nothing for those on the lower rungs of society, and the least among us have to live in squalor: someone's gotta grill those hamburgers, sling cigs and fuel at the c-store, make coffee, serve food, run the ski lifts, etc. So if I choose to live in some place where it is remote and costly to live, I'm going to have to subsidize those people too through higher retail costs and probably some sort of government programs, it is just reality. It is a choice too, no one is making me or them live there, we all have the same goal of living in a special and beautiful place.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They're trying to build a cheap place to house the poors who clean the hotels and serve their food. Servants quarters.
View Quote

Yep. It is a two class society there. Elites and service people. Just like they want for the rest of the US.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They're trying to build a cheap place to house the poors who clean the hotels and serve their food. Servants quarters.
View Quote

ETA. Ultimately this is like all ski towns. Eventually they run out of workers because people can't afford to live there. Something gives eventually.

Some resorts were smart enough to build dorms for employees, but from what I've heard I wouldn't want to live in them.

Steamboat has a lot of other service based industries and to my knowledge most people just live 20-30 minutes away where they can live somewhere decent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"I want to live in a beautiful, remote, small Colorado mountain town, and I want to buy a 3bd/3bath ranch house on a barista salary."

View Quote

Places like Steamboat need someplace for the workforce to live. Menials can't afford million dollar homes, and the people who own million dollar homes don't want to go without menial services. Throw in some geographical limitations on sprawl and here we are.

You guys are funny acting like building an apartment complex in a city is a communist plot. High-density SFH developments are tomorrow's ghettos.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Commies being commies. The fools vote them in and now wonder why they don't give a crap about them. I don't feel sorry for them one bit. Tourist towns rarely give a shit about the local people. All they want are the fast bucks. If you get in the way with community values you will get run out or run over. If you want freedom, these places are not for you. Tourist or college towns exist for one reason and it isn't for you. The other side of the coin is they have their purpose, they are just not for me, I lived in one once and it was insane. The college town had no values in common with the people. The city govt. existed to suck the college's ass. Typical, liberal colleges vs conservative community. You either become like the college or get out of Dodge before they force you out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Commies like communes.

Fck that!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The City planner youtube sphere is very cancerous. Most of them are leftist redditors, and it shows. There are valid reasons for things like mixed use zoning and mass transit, but very few of them are willing to present both sides of it when they make videos. It's usually "American cities suck and here's what NEEDS to be done about it."
View Quote

Their solution is always doubling down on the need for more of the insanity.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm a commie, but I feel that planner's pain. He's trying to enable poors to live in an area that few can live in, and they are choosy beggars.

View Quote

Nashville's housing market has been insane for the last decade, and only getting worse.  Too many people deciding that Nashville is so much better than the expensive areas they are fleeing, turning it into what they are fleeing by simply showing up to compete with other buyers.  Developers can't keep up with the demand, even by increasing the density of the housing (which they have been doing since the start of this housing market boom).

They are beating the affordable housing drum, as they themselves shop for expensive housing to avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of their old home.  To direct attention away from their part in making housing unaffordable, they point to the homeless camps, claiming that the cost of housing and the recent downturn in the economy (COVID) has put those people, who were financially struggling, in those camps.  They simply ignore the facts that those camps have been there since before Trump ran for president and that they have a much higher percentage of mentally ill and drug addicted residents than camps in many other cities, due to local policies making the area more attractive to the 'chronically homeless' (cops told to not hassle them unless certain conditions are met, people encouraged to hand them money for standing on street corners, etc).
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Live in shitty tight housing while working your ass off for others can fly into town for their annual skying trip?  No dog don’t think I want that shit. Sounds more like a plan to stash worker bees for others can grown more wealth.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#16]
My current situation finds me living in a duplex with thin walls and two small children on the other side. I will live out of an RV before I ever share walls with strangers again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#17]
The writer spends his off time gathering with comrades and making a spectacle of himself?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd wager the community planner, Mr Peasley, is from either the East or Left coast.

My family moved to Steamboat back when it was first being Californicated in the mid 70s. It was not hard to spot the difference between the natives and knarlies. Housing was scarce way back then. My Dad's solution: move to nearby Hayden. His work took him to Steamboat, Craig, Rock Springs and Breckinridge. It was a good solution.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The City planner youtube sphere is very cancerous. Most of them are leftist redditors, and it shows. There are valid reasons for things like mixed use zoning and mass transit, but very few of them are willing to present both sides of it when they make videos. It's usually "American cities suck and here's what NEEDS to be done about it."
View Quote

City planners are just central planning authoritarians with smaller budgets than national politicians and bureaucrats.

They are inherently evil. I try to avoid them.

I'll go one further: I'll go so far as to state that the Bible teaches this. In Genesis 4 we see two branches of men - one that began to build cities (4:17), one that began to 'call on the name of the Lord' (4:26).

This seems like an innocuous distinction barely mentioned in passing, but it reveals two mindsets: one (Seth) that lives by faith (and may well become part of a community - I'm not saying settlement is bad, I'm saying the conceit of thinking you can centrally plan settlement is bad). The other, Cain, rather than living by faith, begins to build its own institutions, and trusts in those institutions. The institutions become a god, of sorts. Of course, this 'god 'fails (Babel being the prime example, though all great secular cities/nations eventually fail) and usually takes a few million people with it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Happened in Porkland many years ago...The tri-county area around this shit-hole formed yet another level of government: Metro

They are dictating housing and housing density. Fuck building any roads, you need to bike and take mass transit with the fucking bums.

Do I need to add they are fucking communist?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#22]
More robots. Less poors.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Next scam job by media

1. convince the mob single family homes are unfair and racist.

2. leftist states take over private homes to house homeless.

3. actually, the homeless gig was a scam. The states just want the equity of the house to borrow against.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

City planners are just central planning authoritarians with smaller budgets than national politicians and bureaucrats.

I'll go one further: I'll go so far as to state that the Bible teaches this. In Genesis 4 we see two branches of men - one that began to build cities (4:17), one that began to 'call on the name of the Lord' (4:26).

This seems like an innocuous distinction barely mentioned in passing, but it reveals two mindsets: one (Seth) that lives by faith (and may well become part of a community - I'm not saying settlement is bad, I'm saying the conceit of thinking you can centrally plan settlement is bad). The other, Cain, rather than living by faith, begins to build its own institutions, and trusts in those institutions. The institutions become a god, of sorts. Of course, this 'god 'fails (Babel being the prime example, though all great secular cities/nations eventually fail) and usually takes a few million people with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Site needs a like button, this is excellent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I get all these videos on youtube that pop up about how much American cities suck compared to European ones. They are right about everthing thy say except for the elephant in the room. Nobody wants to live in an apartment when you can afford space. And nobody wants to ride a bike if you can afford a car.
View Quote

These are obviously old YouTube videos, look at the streets of cities like Paris now, they have much more diversity.
When you import third world values into your country, you get third world living conditions.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#26]
lol this article is pure gaslighting. Liberals have wanted everyone to live like this forever, long before they even cared about global warming. It used to be about pollution.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got my own little house and yard in a "good area" and it's not in a HOA.
I carry there, same as everywhere else, despite that I don't think I "need" to, same as everywhere else.

Anybody that doesn't like America is free to leave.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And my EV only has enough juice to take me to the bug commissary and back.
View Quote

That is part of the corralling plan, comrade. Force us off the cheap and powerful dino-juice (of which we are loaded with domestically) to tin cans batteries. They foist this change without the requisite power needed (nuclear plants) to maintain the miles driven currently on petroleum. This will kill commuting to your nice single dwelling home out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd wager the community planner, Mr Peasley, is from either the East or Left coast.

View Quote
The land was donated to the state for this purpose. He's just trying to do what the donator asked. Logically, if you want affordable housing, it optimally should be multi-family. No matter what, it'll end up being a disaster in all likelyhood, because you can't masterplan the ghetto out of people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm sure he does not. I'm thinking a 5K sq/ft pad with pool on acreage to keep distance from the riff raff. I know you know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure he lives in an efficiency apartment for the betterment of society.

I'm sure he does not. I'm thinking a 5K sq/ft pad with pool on acreage to keep distance from the riff raff. I know you know this.
Someone should track down his address and post it everywhere and anytime he spouts his commie shit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Obviously just trying to catch up with the rest of the world,

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#32]
"Affordable, high density housing" is usually a fancy way of eventually saying "crime".
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The question came, as it always did, just as Jason Peasley finished making his case for Brown Ranch, a development that would grow the size of his city by one-third and finally provide some affordable housing for the hundreds of people doubled up in trailer parks and hotel rooms in the ski town. The development, as Peasley pitched it to the room of residents gathered under thick wooden beams in the local community center, would use density to solve the housing problemmainly by building apartments and attached homes.

"What about single family homes?" a woman standing in the back of the meeting room asked. "Because I would like to buy one someday."

Steamboat Springs, Colo.where Peasley serves as the head of the Yampa Valley Housing Authority, providing affordable housing to all of Routt Countyis a mountain town that draws people for its wide open vistas and outdoor space. The idea of living in an apartment on what is now green rolling hills jarred people with visions of their own porches and yards, who had seen their neighbors amass hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity just by owning a single family home during the pandemic.

"Personally, I would take a very, very small house," another resident said.

"So would I," the woman in the back said quickly, so as not to be left out.

Peasley sighed. Nine months ago, he'd been given an opportunity that most urban planners dream ofan anonymous donation of 536 acres of land to build long-term affordable housing for people who live and work in Steamboat Springs. But it's difficult to get buy-in to use hundreds of acres to build multifamily homes in Steamboat, which currently has 1,400 fewer housing units than are currently needed. Residents might support density in theory, but what they really want is a single-family home to call their own.

How Steamboat solves this conundrum could have implications for communities across the country that are struggling with affordability as their populations grow. Home prices have soared in the past two years in cities like Austin and Phoenix as well as in ski towns like Truckee and Sun Valley. Adding more dense housing units would help keep prices affordable, because many of these places have natural boundaries like mountains or oceans that prevent developers from sprawling out. But proposals like Peasley's are usually thwarted by neighbors who complain about their views being blocked or their parking becoming limited or their beloved townwhich they themselves moved to years or decades beforegetting too crowded.

Many communities like Steamboat are reaching a breaking point. Here, the need for more housing had been abundantly clear even before the pandemic, as investors turned condos and apartments that had once provided workforce housing into cash cows on Airbnb. Then, in 2020, remote workers flocked to Steamboat. For all the urban planners proclaiming density to be the solution to America's housing needs, the majority of Americans still dreamed of a single-family home, with a yard, a tree, and room to grow, and the pandemic only whetted that appetite as families spent more time at home and looked for private outdoor space and extra rooms to double as offices. The median listing price of a single family home in Steamboat is now $829,000, up from $529,000 in 2019. Rents for a one-bedroom apartment are hovering around $2,100, about one-third higher than the national average.

By July of 2021, 60 percent of Americans said they'd prefer to live in a place where the homes are large and farther apart, even if schools, stores, and restaurants were a few miles away, up from 53 percent before the pandemic, according to a Pew Research Center survey. In contrast, 39 percent preferred a community where homes are small and close to each other but where schools, stores, and restaurants were in walking distance, down from 47 percent in 2019.

That's even though half of Americans say that affordable housing is a major problem in their community. As Peasley has tried to explain time and again, affordability and density go hand in hand. Single family homes are much more expensive to build than attached homes or apartments, and they take up more room, and need more resources to maintain. Steamboat could build seven attached homes for the amount it would cost to build one single-family detached home, according to projections by Mithun, a consulting group helping with the project.

"We have an opportunity that maybe no other community has to really thoughtfully address our housing issues in one massive development," Peasley, a tall redheaded urban planning guru who could be mistaken for an Olympic skateboarder, told me recently. "This could really be a template for our 21st century live, work, and play."

Peasley is uniquely suited to helping convert Steamboat to pro-density. He was a city planner for Steamboat Springs for five years before taking over the Yampa Valley Housing Authority a decade ago; his tenure has created hundreds of units of affordable housing. His success in getting tax credits to build some affordable housing in Steamboat is what motivated anonymous donors to give him the money to buy Brown Ranch and build even more. Peasley hopes to build 2,300 units at Brown Ranch, which would meet the demand projected for the next two decades.

But no matter how many times Peasley explains this all to the community, even the most self-aware residents of Steamboat are having a hard time letting go of their vision of a home and yard to call their own. "The disconnect we're having is that everyone wants the American dreama single-family homeand economists tell us it's not possible," Peasley says. The surest way to wealth in America has long been to stake claim to a plot of land and a home, but places like Steamboat are discovering that if they are dedicated to welcoming everyone who wants to live there, they're going to have to pioneer another way.

MOAR

View Quote
What some people need to do is give up the idea that they should control others lives.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They want everyone to live in a shitty high rise apartment building across the street from their assigned work place.
View Quote

Or...roll the scene from Dr. Shivago where your 3-bedroom home is now a 3-family home...with some very interesting house mates.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Someone should track down his address and post it everywhere and anytime he spouts his commie shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lives in an 1800 sq ft townhouse built in 1978.  This is the unit right beside his, which has the exact same sq footage, so I assume it's an identical layout.  Nice view, but nothing luxurious.

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Steamboat-Springs/372-Old-Fish-Creek-Falls-Rd-80487/home/72120589
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

City planners are commune specialists. They get paid to develop for the few and shaft the many. They create a squalor area and then take it cheap for the deep pockets of the few. I've seen them seize a whole neighborhood, zone it for a developer, then build businesses. They in turn hire those who were displaced for half they were making and stuff them into an apartment complex that resembles cages more than homes and charge rent higher than the house payments were. That is called progress by commies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hey, this is how the communists roll.  
You'll take your Section 8 housing, your weekly chocolate ration, and you'll like it.  
View Quote

They will call it the Steamboat Collective
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cities are the modern equivalent of the Tower of Babel, pure and simple.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#39]
The left wing women running Steamboat...I could tell stories about one of them...
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#40]
There is way too much money in the world. These cheap dollars are looking for a safe place to hangout and possibly generate revenue. The middle of nowhere sville is the new fad. It used to be, people built a house (they could afford) with there own two hands. Nowadays, everybody wants 3200 sq/ft on a 15/hr income. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I’m sure he does not. I’m thinking a 5K sq/ft pad with pool on acreage to keep distance from the riff raff. I know you know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure he does not. I’m thinking a 5K sq/ft pad with pool on acreage to keep distance from the riff raff. I know you know this.

1,850 square foot townhouse.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No one is telling people they have to live in this housing. Kind of like we say here all the time, move to a cheap state (instead of a free state)

I have considered a job or two in Summit and Eagle counties, and there is no way in hell I could afford to live there in a single family home, the land values and building costs are too high. I'd be in a condo or apartment, and that's just reality. Getting to ski a couple runs before or after work, and the abundant recreation opportunities mere steps from your door are the benefit you gain from sharing a wall or ceiling. Hell if I wanted to take a job in the Denver metro it would be the same story for me.

I chose to live in El Paso county (Colorado Springs), I have a small single family house on .2 acre, and if I want to go skiing I'd better be ready to drive 3 hrs, likewise a good hike is going to be a 30-40" drive first at least.

Maybe I'm a commie, but I feel that planner's pain. He's trying to enable poors to live in an area that few can live in, and they are choosy beggars.

View Quote

Fuck them and anybody else that feels they deserve to live in a nice place. America was built by hard work and wanting to advance oneself. You like to ski? Well then work harder and save up so that you can buy land close to where you want to work. How do people not get this? You know what the real goal is with these fucking communists is? Get a shit-load of poor people to live in nice areas so that they can turn it blue. FUCK gotdamn communists and anyone else that thinks they deserve to live in a nice place that is out of their reach. Fucking idiots and whiners.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Places like Steamboat need someplace for the workforce to live. Menials can't afford million dollar homes, and the people who own million dollar homes don't want to go without menial services. Throw in some geographical limitations on sprawl and here we are.

You guys are funny acting like building an apartment complex in a city is a communist plot. High-density SFH developments are tomorrow's ghettos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could easily build the complex the next town/city over and bus them in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Steamboat to pro-density

That area is already crazy expensive. He wants the old "zero lot line" properties to get more expensive homes per development

That was an old idea.  You could fit a full sized riding lawn mower between them but that was about it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The ski resorts in WV like Snowshoe and Canaan are out in the middle of nowhere. There isn't much of a local population to draw labor from in the first place because of the remoteness. Throw $5 gas into that mix and they can't afford to drive there for a menial job cleaning room or grooming the slopes.
View Quote

Bus them in. It's much cheaper and they don't have to live in a nice area that they can't afford to live in in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent post.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is not the impression I get from reading the Bible, there are a lot of great planners and administrators in there, from Joseph, to David, Solomon, Daniel, to Nehemiah, just to name some prominent ones. Using wisdom to guide the construction of a settlement isn't anti-God, and it is a common thing that many of the founding fathers of this country did when they set up a city too.

The city I live has mostly non-existent master planning and it is causing us a lot of headaches as we grow.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#48]
It is a self correcting problem, when a specific location gets too expensive to live fir people that work for a living, those people don’t take jobs there, the services and economy suffers, the values decline as people leave, and things get cheaper.

It may take a while, but that is how it works.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#49]
They built some "town homes" ( overpriced row homes ) here in the late 90s..   It was mostly retirees buying them.  They were around 1400sq foot a unit,    I think they were sold for around 109k,   Most of the ones that sold recently sold around 130k a piece       Compared to the single family homes in the area,  the appreciation on them is shit.     Im guessing most of the people who bought them new lost money on them over the years
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Every time one of these threads pop up about single family homes and population density, makes me think about that weird motherfucker that used to be a member here. Fascist cocksucker all but called for forcing Americans at gunpoint to live in high rise apartment buildings.

You don't know which person using the account was the most fascist
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top