Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2017 9:12:22 PM EDT
I recently purchased a number of angled foregrips from Magpul, FAB Defense, and Stark. I have been reviewing them on various weapons.

The Magpul has no redeeming qualities

The grip shape of the FAB Defense PTK was the best and most comfortable that I tested by far. However, the PTK has way too shallow a grip angle for wrist comfort, even at full arm extension.  

The grip angle of the Stark SE-5 is the best of those I have tested. When mounted extremely forward, like many 3-Gunners prefer, The SE-5 grip angle was a little too steep. When mounted close in, as would be the case on an SBR, the SE-5 grip angle was a little too shallow. But it was reasonably comfortable and allowed the wrist to be in a reasonably neutral position across the various mounting positions.

Getting grip shape design just right, as FAB Defense has, is a difficult thing to achieve. However, I don’t understand why it is so difficult to get the angle right.

Rest your left elbow on a surface (table, desk, chair arms, etc) with your forearm pointing straight up and wrist relaxed. You will note that the fingers on your left hand are not pointing straight up in line with your forearm. If your palm is facing you, your fingers will be canted roughly 20 degrees to your right. Now with your wrist in this neutral position, extent your arm comfortably (not fully) and point at a distant object with your left index finger.  Now, with your foregrip of choice removed from your rifle, hold the grip in your left hand and point at the distant object as before. If the mounting surface of the grip is not reasonably close to horizontal when you do this, then it is a bad design.

“Perfect” falls somewhere between the Stark SE-5 and the foregrip on a 1928 Thompson, depending on how far out you mount the foregrip.

All angled foregrip makers, please:
1)Get the grip angle right – it’s not that hard
2)Study and emulate the shape of the FAB Defense PTK

I hope angled foregrip makers will heed this and “go and sin no more”.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought the strike industries one and it's garbage.  You're right op
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I like the FORTIS SWIFT Short Angled Fore-End Grip. Very comfortable.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]

I like the "Manufactures take heed!"

Ya right!

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like the "Manufactures take heed!"

Ya right!

View Quote
Unfortunately this. Without them knowing who you are, I don't think they'll listen. Maybe if we all stood up. But personally I enjoy the gen 1 and gen 2 Magpul AFG, so count me out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The Magpul AFG2 works perfectly for me on extended rails    Grips, fore Grips, stocks ..... are extremely personal as to what works for who. Just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it's garbage     There are plenty of real deal peeps running Magpul AFGs and liking them
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If only everyone had your illustrious hands...

...We wouldn't need so many grip manufacturers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Magpul AFG2 works perfectly for me on extended rails    Grips, fore Grips, stocks ..... are extremely personal as to what works for who. Just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it's garbage     There are plenty of real deal peeps running Magpul AFGs and liking them
View Quote
Try the test I outlined in my OP. Look at your hand to wrist relationship. Feel what having your wrist in the neutral position feels like. Then grip your AFG2. Notice how much past neutral you have to twist your wrist. Notice how having your wrist in that postion feels. Tolerable, yes. As good as having your wrist relaxed in the neutral postion, no way.

AFG2's, FUG's, etc. all feel "great" until you try something with the proper grip shape and grip angle.

When you see someone using a vertical foregrip with his index and second fingers on the forend and his ring and little finger on the vertical grip, what you are witnessing is someone trying to create a grip style that puts his wrist in a comfortable neutral position. An angled grip at a steep enough angle just makes that easier and more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]
If they made something as vertical as possible without being able to be used as a VFG they'd sell quite a few.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a number of angled foregrips from Magpul, FAB Defense, and Stark. I have been reviewing them on various weapons.

The grip shape of the FAB Defense PTK was the best and most comfortable that I tested by far. However, the PTK has way too shallow a grip angle for wrist comfort, even at full arm extension.  

The grip angle of the Stark SE-5 is the best of those I have tested. When mounted extremely forward, like many 3-Gunners prefer, The SE-5 grip angle was a little too steep. When mounted close in, as would be the case on an SBR, the SE-5 grip angle was a little too shallow. But it was reasonably comfortable and allowed the wrist to be in a reasonably neutral position across the various mounting positions.

Getting grip shape design just right, as FAB Defense has, is a difficult thing to achieve. However, I don’t understand why it is so difficult to get the angle right.

Rest your left elbow on a surface (table, desk, chair arms, etc) with your forearm pointing straight up and wrist relaxed. You will note that the fingers on your left hand are not pointing straight up in line with your forearm. If your palm is facing you, your fingers will be canted roughly 20 degrees to your right. Now with your wrist in this neutral position, extent your arm comfortably (not fully) and point at a distant object with your left index finger.  Now, with your foregrip of choice removed from your rifle, hold the grip in your left hand and point at the distant object as before. If the mounting surface of the grip is not reasonably close to horizontal when you do this, then it is a bad design.

“Perfect” falls somewhere between the Stark SE-5 and the foregrip on a 1928 Thompson, depending on how far out you mount the foregrip.

View Quote

Perfect for who, you?  How old are you?  I ask not to be a jerk but out if genuine curiosity. When I was younger I used to think how I saw things (literally) was they way everyone did. How I heard things. How my joints moved. How my body worked. All pretty much the same from person to person.

Obviously foolish. Which, in the back of my mind even then I suspected but not to the degree to which I know it to be now.

For a quick example go to the suppressor forum and watch guys argue about if shooting a 5.56 can suppressed hurts your ears. Some will emphatically say it does and they always wear ear pro. Some don't think it's loud and their hearing has been tested and it's fine.

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt Magpul justoulled an angle out if their ass and went with it. Maybe YOU don't find it appealing but a lot of people might. I think angled forgrios are garbage period.

To:dr:
I seriously doubt manufacturers are going to take heed Rolf lol.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Try the test I outlined in my OP. Look at your hand to wrist relationship. Feel what having your wrist in the neutral position feels like. Then grip your AFG2. Notice how much past neutral you have to twist your wrist. Notice how having your wrist in that postion feels. Tolerable, yes. As good as having your wrist relaxed in the neutral postion, no way.

AFG2's, FUG's, etc. all feel "great" until you try something with the proper grip shape and grip angle.

When you see someone using a vertical foregrip with his index and second fingers on the forend and his ring and little finger on the vertical grip, what you are witnessing is someone trying to create a grip style that puts his wrist in a comfortable neutral position. An angled grip at a steep enough angle just makes that easier and more comfortable.
View Quote
Yeah, ok. This post proves you don't get it yet.

Everyone's body is different. I have a hard time doing anything except the vertical grip. That's how my wrist is shaped. Holding the gun on the hand gaurd itself is so infuriatingly uncomfortable to me it's mind blowing. AFG's suck too.

Different manufacturers have different angles. Congrats on finding one that fits you. Your thread should have been that. Not "dont like what I don't like.....contort your wrist the same way mine is!!!!!"
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
OP is Wrong.

The Magpul AFG2 works great for me.  Period.

But I've only been shooting for the past 3 decades, including over one as a U.S. Marine.  So what do I know.

But thanks for trying to point out how important you are, and how much your opinion matters on this subject OP.  I'm sure you can site the aspects of your background that give you such knowledge and clarity on this subject.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
OP is the smartest snowflake in the world. OP's skeleton and muscles emulate all of mankind.

OP should invest all this money and research where his mouth is and make his own angled grip.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Lol. Fab over Magpul.

No. No thank you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like you might be looking at a pistol grip, or a short cut down one. I prefer pistol grips, but can't use them on my center fires.

If you don't find angled foregrips comfortable, just use it bare.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Brazos-Jack, I think you're better off making a video than these long typed explanations. Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#17]
angeled foregrips always were a gimmick meant for the thumbover top shooting crowd.  if it wasn't for ar pistols no one would use them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the AFG2 doesn't work well for him despite his claiming otherwise?  Thanks for clearing that up, OP.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#19]
BCM MOD 3 is perfect for me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

you're not special

not everyone is the same

your opinion doesn't matter, as others with money will overide what you say

go buy a membership
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had/have a couple magpul and a strike industries link. I think they are quite comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
In my ever growing box o' things tried, and then ditched...lies a couple of Magpul AFGs.

I hate them.  There are many AR Barbie parts I hate, and nobody, especially the mfr of said shitty parts; cares what I think.

I need to sell a mystery box of AR parts on Ebay.

Oh, and your rant sucks
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]
No offense, Brazos Jack, but "perfect" for you is not at all guaranteed to be perfect for anyone else.  There's this thing called "normal anatomic variation."  That's why different makers offer grips with different angles - so people can find a product that fits them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I realy wanted to like the KAG... so far after going through just under a handful of various AFG's, I really like ERGO's enhanced angle grip, with AFG1 on quads and afg2 on smoother rails tied for 2nd. OP Will still hate
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck you for having an opinion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're going to need an MS Paint diagram for this part.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The Magpul MLOK AFG works perfectly for me. AFG1 was a little too fat, AFG2 wasn't quite comfortable enough, but the MLOK is exactly what I wanted. They're on almost all of my rifles (and pistols) now.

Quoted:
angeled foregrips always were a gimmick meant for the thumbover top shooting crowd.  if it wasn't for ar pistols no one would use them.
View Quote
Strange, since I don't use thumbover but I've been using angled foregrips for years, along with several other people I know who also don't use a thumbover grip.

Lotsa Dunning-Kruger up in hurrrr.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the kac vfg
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice review of your experience Op. Good tips on finding the best fit for your needs. That said, not everyone is built like you and there are probably as many "right" forward grip ergos as there are Arfcom members. If there was truly one perfect forward grip style, then it stands to reason there would also be one perfect stock, one perfect hand grip, one perfect forward, one perfect magazine, one perfect rear sight... etc.  Alas, such is not the case since shooters come in all sizes and shapes; hence the plethora of available components that allow each of us to build our own "perfect" AR rifle/pistol.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#31]
FAB Defense PTK plus their thumb rest is top shit. Fuck that Magpul AFG. The one Magpul product I absolutely despise. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I use Starks on several of my builds, like em a lot. AS the OP mentioned, good angle for a tight close stance. Bad left shoulder makes an extended grip difficult for me.

I've held a rifle with the FAB def. setup and it's a nice feel when used on a slim rail setup.

I just recently added Night Strike Diamondbacks to two of my pistols, so far I'm liking that setup as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Disclaimer:  I have an afg on my pistol and broomsticks on all of my other AR's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This.

Disclaimer:  I have an afg on my pistol and broomsticks on all of my other AR's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Really though. The tax stamp was completely worth it just to run a vfg on my SBR.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Tried the Magpul AFG, and I just found the angle really weird and wrote off angled foregrips altogether.  A regular fore end or vertical is mo' better.

Maybe I'm too old.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#36]
How's about I keep all that trash off my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
...it was reasonably comfortable and allowed the wrist to be in a reasonably neutral position across the various mounting positions...
View Quote

What if I told you the purpose of an AFG was not to create a relaxed wrist angle but to create muscle tension in the forearm to help with recoil control?

mindblown.gif
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Glock built an empire with 17th century flintlock dueling pistol ergos.

Good luck with this particular windmill, OP.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I like the magpul AFG's
Fit my hand well. I hope magpul ignores your suggestion
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like broomsticks.
Angle grips suck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fuck you for having an opinion.
View Quote

Thats exactly right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#42]
IMI Defense FSG is best

OP fail for not even including it in his "extensive" AFG trials

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I think all fore grips on rifles and carbines are stupid gimmicks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I only like AFGs when they are mounted just behind my Harris(knock off) bi-pod and right in front of my VFG on my drop in carbine length UTG quad rail, but only if I have a magwell grip too.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#46]
OP buys a TAC-SACK and falls in love.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm waiting for a Tommy Gun grip that can be rail mounted.

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I only like AFGs when they are mounted just behind my Harris(knock off) bi-pod and right in front of my VFG on my drop in carbine length UTG quad rail, but only if I have a magwell grip too.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oLhJ7dPtpUE/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote
That AFG is also backwards. Love the 45 offset sights on a rifle with a fixed FSB and 1x dot. A rear BUIS wouldn't have worked.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't think you understand why those grips were designed.  They're an evolutionary step more than anything, they gave way to the hand stop. They were designed for a particular style of shooting that is hard to achieve on a SBR if you have long arms.

Stretch your arm out, elbow slightly bent out, lay your thumb where the 12 o' clock rail would be and slightly close your grip. You can put more hand on top of the rail if you like or more elbow out. The point it is that these trips were designed to give your fingers purchase and almost "force" that shooting position. People found that all you really need is a hand stop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/oLhJ7dPtpUE/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote
Angled grips have their place.  I like mine.  You can laugh all you want.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top